PDA

View Full Version : First Hormone Appointment Scheduled

Ariamythe
10-22-2013, 11:52 AM
I have finally, FINALLY scheduled my "New patient hormone initiation" with the clinic!

... for February 10th, 2014. :doh:

Really? That far out? Yes, that far out. Wow, it's a good thing America didn't go with that single-payer health insurance, where there are long waits to get care. :rolleyes:

In all seriousness: the gender program will be working to move me up (they have first priority with the clinic, which is part of the same health system). But right now this feels like it's going to be the longest four months of my ENTIRE LIFE. :cry:

LeaP
10-22-2013, 12:36 PM
I don't get it. Why so far out? This is a lay-up, to be honest. You could have blood drawn today, results tomorrow, and a half-hour appt with a doctor to review and (assuming all well) prescribe. 4 months is absurd.

Angela Campbell
10-22-2013, 01:14 PM
I got the letter from my therapist and next morning called the Dr. They gave me an appointment in two weeks and I started that day. My therapist gave me the info on 4 different Doctors and descriptions on how they do things. Some start on spiro first for a few months then a low dose of estrogen and eventually work up, some begin with both on low dose and the one I picked begins on a full dose, checks the levels in 3 months and changes it as needed. Some do blood work first then have you come back, some do the blood the first visit. Mine took blood the first visit and the 3 month visit, but e mailed in the prescription on the first visit after a physical exam and discussion. I picked the medicine up on the way home from the Dr. So two weeks after getting the letter I was taking the hormones.

The doctor I chose is an internist who limits his practice to aids and HRT patients only, and is the Dr in the area who has done this the longest. I know several who go to him.

I Am Paula
10-22-2013, 02:14 PM
I'm pleased that you are getting what you need, but I feel sorry for you for the wait.
After my therapist cleared me for takeoff, I had my scrip about 48 hours later.

stefan37
10-22-2013, 03:27 PM
A four month wait is not unusual. My gp prescribed spiro, but was reluctant to prescribe estrogen even with a therapist's letter. I had to wait about 3 months to for the endocrinologist to see me. His practice is mainly diabetic patients and he is very busy. Just the way it is.

Angela Campbell
10-22-2013, 03:39 PM
I don't get it. Why so far out? This is a lay-up, to be honest. You could have blood drawn today, results tomorrow, and a half-hour appt with a doctor to review and (assuming all well) prescribe. 4 months is absurd.

It may have to do with the area you live in. Dr's in one area conduct the practice much different than those in another areas do. It could have something to do with the number of transsexuals in an area as well and how accepting the medical community in the area is to them. An understanding that gender dysphoria is a real and sometimes severe condition that needs medical attention as soon as possible just does not compute with some. At large the medical community is very ignorant of the condition and most of us here know a lot more about it than most doctors out there do.

Then again try to get a dentist appointment around here without a toothache.....6 months to a year.

Ariamythe
10-22-2013, 06:54 PM
I don't get it. Why so far out?
Welcome to the American Health Care System. 37th best in the world, outclassed only by such luminaries as France, Italy, Spain, the UK, Canada, Iceland, and Costa Rica. Sigh ...

In all seriousness, this was the doctor's "first available appointment." I guess there's a lot of demand for her. She is the doctor who works directly with the gender program, so she's the one I need to go to. The good news is I'm on a short list for cancellations.

Angela Campbell
10-22-2013, 07:10 PM
Is this the only Doctor in the area who works with HRT? If so maybe the reason for the delay. Here there are 5 or 6 in my area and about an hour away is another 7 or 8. Once you have the letter you may go to any doctor you like not just the one your center uses.....unless there is a stipulation on insurance or something. I am a self pay so no problems with that.

Ariamythe
10-23-2013, 07:38 AM
Angela, I'm working with a gender program through the nearby state university; while I'm sure there are other doctors around, this is the "big name" in town and in the long one the best / most knowledgeable / most experienced (and works out of the same office as the local GRS surgeon). Going elsewhere may be a possibility, but in the long run I'm probably better off within the program.

My therapist and I talked yesterday and she's in contact with the clinic daily. Apparently they routinely play "schedule shuffle" with the clinic, prioritizing their gender patients. She says she's confident that I can probably get an appointment within a few weeks. Fingers crossed ...

mikiSJ
10-23-2013, 07:47 AM
My therapist and I talked yesterday and she's in contact with the clinic daily. Apparently they routinely play "schedule shuffle" with the clinic, prioritizing their gender patients. She says she's confident that I can probably get an appointment within a few weeks. Fingers crossed ...

Here's hoping your anticipation, which must be really eating at you is squelched very soon, like in two weeks.

kelliehusker
10-23-2013, 07:53 AM
Congrats on your appointment. Good doctors are worth the wait!!

Angela Campbell
10-23-2013, 12:06 PM
Ariamythe, That may be why the wait. The best places in a smaller area will have less availability. It is nice to know you are getting the best care in the area. I did a lot of research before choosing both the therapist and the Dr. Both specialize on transition and both are very experienced. Sounds like you did as well.

Ariamythe
10-23-2013, 12:33 PM
My therapist is the awesomest!!!!!! Talked to her yesterday, she said she'd look into it, and today I got a call from the clinic that they had an opening for me on November 18th. Now it will be just a long month instead of a long four months. :) It'll be like an early Christmas present.