PDA

View Full Version : Surprise Compliment and Valid Question From Wife!

EllenJo
10-22-2013, 11:54 AM
This morning I put on a new blouse that I had recently purchased from a thrift store. Nothing flashy just a pretty pink stripe button front blouse with 3/4 sleeves. I had not shown it to my wife until I dressed this morning. My wife is accepting but rarely comments on my girl clothes. This morning she said that she really liked the blouse and how it looked on me. I felt like a million dollars. I thanked her for the compliment and she said that I always ask if I look ridiculous in something but never ask if I look pretty in something. She just wanted me to know that I looked pretty in the blouse. Just her comment made me feel pretty.

Then she asked another valid question. She said that when we shop together for my male clothes and she picks out something pastel in a shirt (pink, yellow, light blue) I always reject it and go for something more earth tone. Browns, black, deep burgandy. So how come I love pastel colors en femme but not in drab? I had not really thought about it before. She is right she always finds me something that is actually pretty for a man and maybe since it is for a man I don't accept it's femininity. If it is for Ellen Jo I revel in all the pretty colors, styles and prints. I am wondering how others approach their choices for male and female clothing? My epiphany is that I have been the one limiting my male choices but I feel free to be unlimited in my female clothing choices. Just my thoughts and would appreciate yours.
Hugs
Ellen Jo

Beverley Sims
10-22-2013, 12:13 PM
I can be a bit of a brown drab man when home but when away it is light colors and androgyny for me at least.

Stephanie47
10-22-2013, 12:15 PM
Before posting a comment I made a trip to my closet to check on my shirt selection. Being retired for five years I no longer wear dress shirts, except for special events where a shirt and tie may be expected. I've always picked out my own shirts, although my wife may have been With me. Most of my shirts are pastel colors; purple/lavender, light blue, light green, yellow. There is ONE white shirt. Many of my collared shirts that are not solid have red in them. I do have earth tones, but, not super earthy. When I was working my true fashion statement was made with a shirt and tie. The tie became the expression of how I may have felt getting out of bed. Checking my wardrobe of dresses the majority of them are pastels, prints, black and white prints, and the classic LBD.

I did select an earth tone for the color of my house and roof. Maybe lavender would have been too much for the neighbors??

bramble
10-22-2013, 12:19 PM
I so know what you mean. I always shy away from the pastels when choosing my male clothes. I think I know why as well. I'm thinking perhaps this has been the same with you Ellen in that (and forgive me if i'm wrong) we want to "hide" are CD side when we are in our male persona. I know I do, as I have to hide it at work, as they don't understand and certainly wouldnt allow me to be my female persona at work. I believe that some areas it is still very much taboo and seen as strange and bizarre and "wrong". As a result I, and possibly others, will choose the bland, boring, plain, dark unintersting colours to dress in as our male selves, but then when we are in female persona we go all out with the lovely colours and the pastels.

JustWendy
10-22-2013, 12:51 PM
If we're just discussing tops, then I think I'm pretty good with the men's polo shirts I have in my closet - light yellows and blues, purple. I don't have pink, but only because I haven't found one I liked. When it comes to choosing pants and shoes, the colors are a bit more limiting in male mode. I like that I can wear a purple top, skirt and pumps and think it's a nice outfit. If I put an entire purple outfit together in male mode, I'd be afraid I'd look like a pimp.

Wendy

Alice B
10-22-2013, 01:00 PM
Interesting question and I also checked my closet. I tend to select colors that look good on me and low and behold I have lots of pastel and brighter colored shirts, mostly golf shirts. And I have two pink ones. My wife, on the other hand, tends to select muted colors for me.

Kate Simmons
10-22-2013, 01:35 PM
Years ago when I went to church all of the time, I preferred wearing white and pastel colored dress shirts with my suits(including various shades of pink) and ties(which were usually color co-ordinated with the outfit). No one ever thought it was odd or razzed me in the least. I felt comfortable in my own skin as well. I guess sometimes we may be loath to express our love for color and beauty as a guy but there is really know need for that if we are assured of who we are as a person. :)

AveryS
10-22-2013, 01:43 PM
I would say that typically I have extremely drab and boring male clothing (until very recently). Earth tones, lots of plain white, black, or blue jeans. Any colour is usually darker, such as rust/dark orange/burgundy.
Mostly, I think I have subconsciously just hated wearing men's clothes, didn't want to be 'seen' as a man, and did everything I could to hide in the shadows. Wear the absolute most inconspicuous clothes I could find so I would blend in with the scenery.

When I was young (elementary school) I wore bright colours, pastels.. a lot of clothing that could genuinely be called "pretty". But as puberty hit and things started changing for the worse, I switched to as generic and dull as I could get.

Now that I've accepted my femininity and understand what's really going on, I seek out anything that I can 'get away with' (unaccepting wife) that can make me feel feminine in my day-to-day life until such time as I can properly 'come out' to the world.
Oddly, my female clothes also have a lot of less flashy colours (except pink. I do have a lot of pink!) so that I don't attract attention to myself when I'm en femme. As I get more comfortable, that will change :)

Rachelakld
10-22-2013, 01:49 PM
My male personality is introvert while my femself is an extrovert and my clothing reflects these differences

femguy
10-22-2013, 02:25 PM
I feel happy when fem so maybe that reflects in the choice of clothes ?

EllenJo
10-22-2013, 05:03 PM
Thank you for all of the interesting comments:

Bramble, I live in a small rural farm community which is very conservative so maybe that is why I subconciously do not want to show outward femininity.

Avery, I also hate wearing my male clothes so I know where you are coming from. I do remember when I was in Junior High (way back in the day) I loved pastel shirts and even made sure that I had socks to match them. For some reason over the years my male clothes just became more and more drab.

I do know that going forward I am going to let my wife pick out a more colorful male wardrobe when we are shopping.
Hugs
Ellen Jo

Kirsten1
10-22-2013, 05:37 PM
I live in a very conservative state and always dress in browns, greens and blues. While I have yet to really have a feminine wardrobe and I am not sure I would go for bright colors. So I guess we will see how it progresses. I had the courage to get a dress at a women's store but have not done more that try it on to make sure it fits. (it does) The dress is a burgundy color so I guess I am still staying dark for now. Thanks for your post Ellen Jo. I hope you and your wife have a lot of fun with your dressing.

Rachael Leigh
10-22-2013, 05:52 PM
Oh that is me as well I've noticed how there seem to be more color choices in men's clothes now but yeah if it looks to femmy I don't like it in guy clothes, but find me a cute top or shirt in a soft yellow or blue in the ladies department then yeah I'm all for it. Kinda like the silky guys undies I see on occasion, I have a few of them but there is nothing like a nice soft pair of panties in all the cute colors and styles

kimdl93
10-22-2013, 06:57 PM
I am not limiting in the color selection of my male clothes - I have quite a few pastels. I limit the amount of time I must present in male mode, but not the clothing.

Linda E. Woodworth
10-22-2013, 07:01 PM
Excellent question and I must admit that in male mode I wear more subdued and conservative colors. While I have had a few shirts in pastels they were the exception and not the rule. I am a primary color type of guy.

In girl mode though I do look for color in any form that I can find it.

Robin777
10-22-2013, 07:30 PM
Same here. I usually go for earth tones or solid colors for my male clothes. My girl clothes are just the opposite. Flashy colors,wild patterns. I think I'm more like Rachel. Male side is an introvert an my female side an extrovert.

Phydelia
10-22-2013, 07:58 PM
That's a very interesting question. For my work (male) clothes i always picked black or earthtones, and i think it may have a lot to do with wanting to camouflage myself and avoid standing out... My non-work male clothes are almost all black (until they come out with something darker!)... My femme wardrobe, while limited, shows much more variety.

While i don't really want to stand out en femme, i do want to look good, and i put a lot of time and effort into choosing my feminine clothes, as opposed to my male wardrobe which is largely "this fits, i'll get six of them and be done shopping for the next couple years".

WandaRae2009
10-22-2013, 08:15 PM
I too have very drab male wardrobe. Dark blue, browns, & grays. Wedding ring and watch are the only jewelry. Maybe subconsciously, I don't go for the brighter male clothes for fear that someone may detect my feminine side. I am starting to break slightly as I get older.

MissTee
10-22-2013, 10:59 PM
I do pastel shirts, mostly blues, and dark slacks when in drab. I mix in sport coats and have quite a collection of those in all colors. In short, I like to feel fashionable when in drab as I know people notice. In femme I prefer pinks, and anything with ruffles or lace always catches my eye.

KariLynn
10-23-2013, 11:43 AM
I have to agree with having more suttle earthtones in my male wardrobe but am attracted to pastels and prints for my fem clothes. I did finally buy a pink mans long sleeved cotton dress shirt and enjoy it. May try more pastel mens shirts but stick with blue jeans and black slacks.

Devin C
10-23-2013, 11:53 AM
Great question. I myself have always stayed away from those choices in male clothing but not for my female cloths. So thank you for bringing this up. Ill be off for a few new male shirts asap.

AveryS
10-23-2013, 01:05 PM
I should add that with my drab male wardrobe is delightfully subdued earth-tones, I have kick-ass socks. My dress socks are typically black, but with coloured heels, toes, soles, etc in super bright colours... pinks and greens and yellows, combinations of both..
I get compliments on my socks... :P But otherwise, I might as well write a new worst-selling trilogy called "50 shades of brown".