PDA

View Full Version : Notification to Coworkers About My Transition

steph1964
10-23-2013, 01:50 PM
Transsexuals only please.

When I transitioned at work the plan was for the chief to inform my coworkers of what was happening in order to show support and dispel any rumors. I had done a lot of research and found that this appeared to be considered as a "best practice." The release of information is often followed by something from the employee providing more details and welcoming questions. This is ideally released before the transition at work.

Unfortunately the day that the chief was going to release the information he was advised not to by the City attorney.

After six weeks I have finally got to the point where I get to present my case to the City attorney. They want me to provide a sample letter.

My reasoning...I recently went to another district to meet a friend for lunch. Sereral other employees there just starred at me but didn't say anything. Later two employees told her that they wanted to be supportive but were afraid to say anything because they weren't sure they were allowed to bring it up. I have heard similar stories several times since I transitioned.

I have previously pulled a lot of information from the Internet about why this should happen and I have some samples but I would like to know of anyone has been in this situation. If so, can you provide me with what your organization put out. PM me and I will give you my email address. I would also be happy for any links to sample letters that you may know about.

Angela Campbell
10-23-2013, 02:48 PM
It seems odd that they didn't want to do this ...Before....you transitioned on the job. Kind of defeats the purpose to wait so long. You know cart before the horse

Kimberly Kael
10-23-2013, 03:10 PM
Good luck with your discussion with the city attorney. They've done a miserable job of setting a tone of acceptance for you, which could open them up to legal action in the future. They should get their act together on this and hopefully you can help.

In my case I sent my own message out in advance of my transition. I was significantly more senior than my manager and it just felt more in keeping with who I am to own the messaging. My manager followed up with his own message as a show of support, but it probably wouldn't really serve your needs.

steph1964
10-23-2013, 03:25 PM
It seems odd that they didn't want to do this ...Before....you transitioned on the job. Kind of defeats the purpose to wait so long. You know cart byefore the horse

It was supposed to go out before but it kept not happening. Then I was told that it would be released the day I transitioned. Several days later, when I was trying to find out why it didn't go out, I was informed that they had decided not to say anything.

People are walking on egg shells around me and there are a lot of inaccurate rumors so I still think it needs to go out.

Jorja
10-23-2013, 06:48 PM
Some days you make a good call and some days you make a bad call. You can't win them all. I think your City Attorney and superiors made a bad call. I agree that some type of announcement needs to go out. Your superiors and the City Attorney's office need to own up to it and even apologies to you for the mess they have created.

Angela Campbell
10-23-2013, 06:52 PM
They certainly could have informed you when they decided not to do what they had talked about.

Stephanie-L
10-23-2013, 08:49 PM
I find that very interesting that the city Attorney would do that. If the Department, and by extension the city, are supportive of you, it should not be a big deal for the management to make a simple announcement of that support. I suspect that this is one of those lawyers who says to do nothing so that nobody can make a mistake. In my case when I came out at work, I had a couple of meetings with both of my bosses, and the director of the department in the hospital I work at, as well as hospital HR. I do not work directly for the hospital, but rather for a contractor to the hospital, so that added an extra layer of complexity. The only change that was asked of me was to actually move the announcement up a week as one of my bosses was going to be out on vacation when I had originally planned it, and he wanted to be present. I was happy to comply. I will admit that the support from management did help, but I suspect that people in general are going to be OK, you just may have to do more communication then you would have otherwise. Much continued luck to you......Stephanie

Angela Campbell
10-23-2013, 10:47 PM
Do nothing so nobody makes a mistake......wow that is like a lawyer and so against everything I was taught all these years. Yes you can make a bad decision but that can be fixed, but to make no decision is always the wrong one and that cannot be fixed.