PDA

View Full Version : What to look for in a gender therapist

Marleena
10-26-2013, 08:07 AM
Arbon's recent thread brought up the topic of gender therapists. Since I'm kinda naive I thought since all gender therapists go by the WPATH and the SOC they had to be unbiased and properly trained. Not so say some members.

Anyways here's what I find to be a good webpage with tips on finding a good therapist and might help some of you.: http://www.hemingways.org/GIDinfo/therapy.htm

Oh and don't shoot the messenger! If you have a better source or more advice feel free to share.

Ann Louise
10-26-2013, 09:15 AM
I'm fortunate to be in an area, western Washington, where we have a sizable transsexual community, and since many of us are generally acquainted with one another (or at least friends of a friend...etc.) the reputation and credentials of a particular therapist is or can be determined relatively quickly. That's one good reason for someone who is questioning their gender identity to seek out and associate with other transgender people, and as soon as you can gain the courage to do so. A good therapist is part of the ring of alliances that each of us should develop and foster.

I found my therapist through personal references from local transwomen I came to know early on in my transition, and I had to make special arrangements where I work to obtain approved leave time to see her in regular appointments in the middle of a work day. Her schedule is that packed with transwomen like us, that I had to live with a very inconvenient time to see her.

I questioned her closely back at the start concerning the World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH) and our Standards of Care (SOC) [acronyms defined here for newbies], of which she is of course very familiar, and I do recall her stating quite clearly that while the WPATH represents a professional consensus, they are comprised of guidelines, not hard and fast rules to which adherence is demanded else the care is deemed deficient or otherwise in error.

In My Opinion Only I think there comes a point after which we who have not had formal psychological training and experience must place trust in those who we have vetted and selected for our care. There's something about the logical equivalence of the OP's statement "...since all gender therapists go by the WPATH and the SOC they had to be unbiased and properly trained" [emphasis mine] that I find somewhat unsettling. She and I have worked through and elected several minor variances from the SOC, while largely adhering to the SOC's overall content. I feel that I have as competent a therapist as anyone might find anywhere, and feel the impression that strict adherence to the SOC is a necessary criterion for quality care to be an error.

))0(( Ann ))0((

Kathryn Martin
10-26-2013, 09:26 AM
Like Ann suggests there are no hard and fast rules. I found your link very helpful. One of the questions you have to ask yourself before you start using a gender therapist is what is the purpose of your consultation. It maybe very different if you are there to sort through your feelings and quite another if you are seeking assistance in your transition. I found someone who had done significant graduate work with transsexualism but had not encountered transsexuals during her practice. She is a clinical psychologist and has a connection to IWK Pride Health who have a whole department for dealing with trans people. She was brilliant as both a gate-keeper and transition adviser.

Angela Campbell
10-26-2013, 10:45 AM
I found a gender therapist (psychologist) from word of mouth, talking to others. Well known in the area, an area that has a pretty wide trans community. I went to this one until I came to the point I knew I was going to transition. At that point the therapist referred me to another one who specializes in counseling transitions. This was a transman who transitioned years ago. I was initially concerned that I could not relate to a man as I generally am very uncomfortable around men. This one really knew the ins and outs and seemed to know exactly what I was feeling and going through. We worked very well together and I have no regrets so far.

There are others in this area I know about and have even met. Several are well respected and have done good for some of us. I talked to others and listened to what they had to say good and otherwise and made my choice. It was essential to me that the ones I chose use the WPATH SOC. Going to someone who is not familiar with this is not going to be the best bet.

Marleena
10-27-2013, 12:09 PM
Thanks for the replies ladies you offered more good tips! I agree with word of mouth and good support groups as being very beneficial.

One problem that arose for me is no support groups, endos, GP's, or gender therapists in my own city. There is lots of support for the LGB but it's as if TG/TS people don't exist here. Or maybe they just prefer we don't exist in this city! I'm thinking the latter based on the attitudes here. So anyways I found a great support group 120 miles away that helped me with contacts in their city. I was also able to help another one of our members with the same trans-friendly endo I use.