PDA

View Full Version : Every CD's dream job, or nightmare?

Allison Chaynes
10-27-2013, 02:41 PM
So, I lost my job earlier this year in a layoff. I haven't had a lot of luck finding anything else that pays anywhere near what I made before, so unfortunately that's meant unemployment. I have applied every few weeks to places like Catherine's, Dress Barn, Avenue, Lane Bryant and Ashley Stewart in order to meet unemployment requirements, never expecting to actually be called back for an interview. On Friday, one of the store managers actually called me and asked if I knew I had applied to work at a woman's plus size clothing store. Honestly, by her tone, I think she called me out of sheer amazement that a male would apply to work at a woman's clothing store in the Bible Belt. As we got to talking, it was becoming clear that the store has issues with its employees, and I might actually be exactly what she needs as a part time manager. So, even though she initially called me seeking a seasonal temp associate, she ended up asking me to apply for the part time manager job and wants me to come in next week for a face to face. I am absolutely excited, but then as I started thinking, reality started setting in. Even though my wife is 100% on board with this, I am nervous how it might go over with the store associates, should it work out. I am pretty masculine in appearance. And I have not, nor do I intend, to share Allison with anyone there, even though I know their corporate policy is 100% supportive. So I guess I am seeking some advice.... I know some girls here have worked in such places and I need some help.

1) How would I dress for this job (in drab, as I alluded)- dress shirt and tie, or polo shirt, what would be acceptable attire?

2) What other advice can you give? I know she is looking to bring someone in who will make a difference in loss prevention, specifically with regard to employee theft and holding people accountable.

This has always been a dream of mine, in a "kid in a candy store" kind of way, but I never thought it would actually have a chance of happening in this area of the country.

Any thoughts or advice are appreciated. Thanks!

Chari
10-27-2013, 03:15 PM
It is understandable to have mixed emotions about your employment situation. On the negative - you lost a good paying full time job and those jobs IMO are very few, but the positive side you have a (dream) offer to help someone who is willing to pay for you to be on the cutting edge of feminine fashion. Although you may not "be out to others", you should be honest with your prospective employer. If she accepts and is understanding, she can become a positive on your side by helping with your feminine side - fashion, makeup, etc. As for dress code of what to wear - ALWAYS let the boss set the rules. Usually a business appearance is required - whether in female or male mode. Go for it, do your best, & maybe your boss would consider you for full time.

Michaelasfun
10-27-2013, 03:25 PM
I'm excited for you, what a great story! I spent some time in retail management though not with clothing; the way I'd handle it is go to the interview full on suit and tie, then ask the interviewer what she'd prefer you to wear day to day. I had to make a switch similar to yours and I really didn't know what the dress code was so I just asked at an appropriate time during the interview, they were happy to share what'd they would like as a day-to-day appearance.

On the "other advice" front - beyond facing the obvious issues of coming in as a male in an all-female workplace, be prepared for some enforcer duties. It sounds like they may need a house clearing if they have LP issues with the staff so you may need to endure being unpopular at the outset until you root out the bad apples.

Crissy Kay
10-27-2013, 03:28 PM
I kind of hate to rain on your parade, but I think you would be better off dressing in a suit to make a good impression, esp. as you listed no. two as her main concern. I think that may be why she is thinking of a man for that job, rather then another woman. Anyway, Good Luck!!

Kate Simmons
10-27-2013, 07:01 PM
I would go wearing a suit and tie to work and act very professional. The CDing doesn't have to come into it. A good place to get nice stuff with or without an employee discount. Sounds like a win/win situation to me. :)

Robin777
10-27-2013, 07:13 PM
I agree with everyone else. Go in with a suit and tie on. The best way to get the job is make a good first impression. Then when you get the job ask what you can wear to work.

good luck with the interview

AnntoAnn
10-27-2013, 07:16 PM
A suit would be best and shine your shoes! you will be surprised how many people judge others by their first appearance. Also go with in-depth knowledge of the business i.e. shares, market position, other branches, etc..... Good Luck

Diversity
10-27-2013, 07:38 PM
You are applying for a job in a business that most likely is of a corporate environment. It is a business which concerns itself with P&L reporting, and as a manager, you may be tasked with ensuring profitability, HR issues, reporting and forecasting, purchasing, etc. I would go to the interview in a suit and tie, and look at this as an opportunity for future growth. As the saying goes: 'dress for success'. During the interview, I'd ask as many questions about the running of the business, and what challenges and opportunities lie within the organization and especially within your department.
Good luck, Allison. I hope you get the job.
Di

BLUE ORCHID
10-27-2013, 07:44 PM
Hi Allison, Think about if you were interviewing a prospective employ wouldn't think better
of some one that showed up looking professional I know I would.

Julie Gaum
10-27-2013, 08:00 PM
What to wear is partially decided by what part of the country you're in. For example a city location may require a suit while another area might be the "power" appearance which is a dark navy sport jacket, gray pants and a red/navy tie --- in some areas just a button-down white shirt and no tie --- your manager will tell you which.
Would not suggest bringing in any hint of CD issues at this point but only that you have, hopefully, a flair for fashion. The CD part of you will have a chance once you have established yourself.
If it's part of a chain go visit another store to see how they break down (present) styles, sizes and colors rack-wise. What age and size groups they cater to, etc. so you can be as prepared as possible. Learn about the corporate chain of command (Table of Organization) and so on from an Associate Handbook if they have one, along with rules and regs like break times, how to punch in etc. --- but corporate affairs is not your first priority. At first, to weed out the "bad" ones DO NOT be "hardnosed". One of your projects is to get into the good graces of the "Queen (s). Not what you think: every store has an employee who has usually been there a while and they are looked up to by the others rather than to the manager. They are the keys to your sucess. Although I am still a consultant to retail chains --- having been in every level of management in every conceivable type of retailing for over 55+ years i"ll offer you a deal FREE as I would love to see you suceed: For the first year or sooner until you feel comfortable --- PM me on any subject from scheduling to employee theft (50 times more costly to bottom line than shoplifting), from running promotions to employee dresscode --- you name it. Good Lord willing I'll answer you within 24 hours of any PM. By the way, if they don't have an Associate Handbook - that would be an early project as accountability --- whether reporting on time to accurate handling of markdowns should be in writing as verbal rules are too easily bypassed.
Good luck
Julie

Beverley Sims
10-28-2013, 12:11 AM
Wear a suit and tie like a male manager would.
Other sage advice in this thread should be researched.
Brush up on your lack of staff administration knowledge as well.
Good luck with a good job.
Women are a fickle lot if not administered correctly.
Allison should know. :)
Do not introduce any of your relatives and that includes Allison.

Tracii G
10-28-2013, 12:16 AM
Good advice above.

Eryn
10-28-2013, 01:55 AM
Others have covered your dress.

What I would suggest is that, even if your CDing is not discussed, your love of fashion would be a definite plus for that job. As a manager you would be in the rather fun position of being able to have some rather girly interactions with women even in male mode. If you're managing a clothing store then they'd expect you to be interested in fashion!

Allison Chaynes
10-28-2013, 01:47 PM
Wow, some great advice here, and MUCH appreciated. To be clear, I have no intention of dressing anything other than male or letting the cat out of the bag, so to speak. I will definitely go suit and tie to the interview.

Julie, I really appreciate your insights and experiences and I will definitely be in touch if this works out.

Karren H
10-28-2013, 01:52 PM
I kind of hate to rain on your parade, but I think you would be better off dressing in a suit to make a good impression, esp. as you listed no. two as her main concern. I think that may be why she is thinking of a man for that job, rather then another woman. Anyway, Good Luck!!

I agree.... wear a suit with a really colorful pretty tie.... I always get positive comments when I wear any of my Jerry Garcia ties... Good luck!

linda allen
10-28-2013, 04:41 PM
Is this really your dream job? A part time manager in a retail store? Is this a good career opportunity for you or is it a step down from what you were doing?

I was able to stay at a job and advance for over thirty years. I'm now retired and receiving a good retirement and health benefits. I suggest to anyone considering a job or career that they consider the long term when considering a job, not just the hours or how "fun" it is. I'm not suggesting that anyone do something they hate for thirty years, just that they think past the next week or two.

Julie Gaum
10-28-2013, 05:05 PM
For those who look down their nose because it's a retail store --- think again. Sure there are so-called "mom & pop" stores and there are minimum wage-no future retailers but there are many, many chains that do offer great future wages and retirement/health benefits. Guarantees? No way--- as in every other field --- it's as good as you make it. Being a college graduate helps a good deal not from what you learned but the learning discipline comes in handy. Part time often becomes full time there or somewhere else. Employees become assistant managers become managers become district manager in one chain or another. Hours become longer as you go up the ladder and so it does for an attorney for years after joining a law firm. Most don't and can't think past the first few weeks because you have to bring home money for food. Work hard and smart and it usually works out beyond what we can foresee at the moment. Get a masters and a Phd if you want to pick and choose and even then you may end up washing dishes for awhile. It's tough out there --- get real!
Julie

NicoleScott
10-28-2013, 05:06 PM
1) Yes, a coat and tie. If it's too dressy, your boss will tell you if you can or should dress down a little.
2) Approach the job with professionalism (like you're selling plumbing fittings, etc.), not like a kid in a candy store.
3) well, there was no 3, but here goes: you'll get your opportunities to reap the benefits, but separate your approach to the job to your CDing. I'd keep the CDing private at least until you have had a change to acsertain attitudes regarding CDing, as I'm sure you'll get CDing customers. Engage any conservations that may arise and feel out the boss and co-workers about how thgey feel about CDing.
Apparently, you have qualities the boss likes. Use them and do the best job you can.
Times are tough and jobs are scarce. Good for you for seeking whatever work you can get. You never know where this could lead. Companies of all kinds need good managers, so take advantage of the opportunity.

Desirae
10-28-2013, 05:15 PM
As much as I would love it, I don't think a job at a woman's clothing store would work out for me. My entire check would be spent on clothes having as easy access as that would bring. Sounds like dream job to me, though. If I had a choice, I'd rather perform the job enfemme, though. Go for it and enjoy. Maybe you can broach the subject with her in some left hand way and see where she stands on the CDing.

reb.femme
10-28-2013, 05:49 PM
I would go wearing a suit and tie to work and act very professional. The CDing doesn't have to come into it.

I would go with Kate here. Suited and booted as we say over here and keep the CDing out of it. Get the job first and you can always bring the CD issue in later if you feel that the place is genuinely open to the actuality of a CD, rather than in it's mission statement.

Negatives out of the way, sincere best wishes for the future.

Rebecca

Mark/Rebecca
10-28-2013, 06:29 PM
I think a pink dress shirt would be appropriate. It would say that you are not intimidating or threatening. If some of the other associates wonder about your preferences, it would at least say you are interested in female fashions and make you approachable.

julia marie
10-28-2013, 06:30 PM
Definitely wear a suit for the interview. The hiring manager knows clothing and style. Keep it sharp. Don't even raise the en femme on the job idea, at least until you get in and prove yourself for a period of time. even then, don't push it. Think less of how you present in the mirror and more about how you present to a wide range of customers.
All that said, how's the employee discount???

kimdl93
10-28-2013, 06:43 PM
You can ask about dress code, but as a standard I would start with shirt and tie, sport coat optional. Set a higher tone for yourself. Then focus on the problem...shrinkage can kill an otherwise viable business and theft is theft. Go get them and be proud of your contribution!

Allison Chaynes
10-29-2013, 11:33 AM
Linda- jobs are extremely scarce here right now, and it's a major step down financially from what I was doing. I have 12 years of management experience already, albeit mostly in the transportation field. However, my wife was already making more than I was, so I don't have to start out at the top. I'm hoping part time will lead to full time down the road.

Julia- I understand it is somewhere between 40-55% for the employee discount. I haven't had the face to face interview yet, I'm expecting that later in the week.

MissTee
10-29-2013, 08:37 PM
Good luck in the interview. I think it wise to separate CD-ing from job hunting. The point should be securing a job and how to best go about it.

Jennifer in CO
10-29-2013, 09:12 PM
I had a good friend who worked in the banking industry till he retired. Total suit and tie guy, but the ties...oooh the ties. He hated them, and he so loved "casual Fridays" but because of being in management he couldn't enjoy, till he found his Hawaii ties. From then forward (mid 90's), everyday he wore a very professional suit and...Hawaii tie. Loud, colorful, almost to the obnoxious side, but those dang ties got him more business and opened more doors that any business card ever did.

suchacutie
10-29-2013, 09:49 PM
Step 1: get the job. That means a completely professional presentation and attitude. Be confident and assure them that you can do this job well for them.

Step 2: make sure you are completely up to date on harassment issues, policies, and procedures. You'll probably need them, and you will need to expect to use those policies, especially in the first few months.

Step 3: as time passes you will understand how to show your interests slowly, and only to management, not to those working for you.

Have the best of luck and skill in your interview!!!

Sometimes Steffi
10-29-2013, 10:05 PM
It might sound like a "kid in the candy store" job, but it won't turn out that way.

As a teen, I had a warehouse job one summer as a shipping clerk for an upscale women's store.

My main duty was shipping returns back to the manufacturer by packing them up neatly. So, I had to hamdle *everything*, fold it neatly, pack it neatly, and wrap it in brown paper. At that time, I wasn't even out to myself, never mind anyone else. So my main job was acting as if I was titally uninterested in all the chick stuff I was packing up.

I don't know how you would get to use your discount. Bu a job it a job.

Suit and tie for the interview, but with a little fashion flair. Colored shirt and non-traditional tie. I have some wonderful Jerry Garcia ties, and a number of other portrait ties, typically World Wildlife Fund ties with pictures of animals.

lingerieLiz
10-29-2013, 10:10 PM
Dark blue suit with red tie! That is the top power suit. In the north east around DC black is good too. I know management in a couple different clothing store chains. Today the store managers in one are pretty casual in the other coat and tie is expected. You can always become more casual later, but it doesn't go the other way as easily.

DebbieL
10-29-2013, 10:37 PM
You want to look like a store manager. Better to go with a dress shirt, tie, jacket, and slacks for the initial interview. This shows that you are taking the job seriously.

It may be appropriate for you to share that you are transgendered, but don't be too specific unless she asks. Depending on the state, you may be worth EEOC credits.

The more important thing is for you to share the experience and skills that you have that make you qualified for the job. Telling her you are transgendered helps her to understand that you actually DO know a bit about fashion. It also tells her that you can help customers who want a man's opinion on their outfit. Of course, you would not to only give your opinion when asked.

If you have prior retail experience in other stores, you want to share that. You also want to share your experience of managing and supporting your team, and especially any work you have done with teams of women. For reasons you aren't even aware of, you are probably an excellent fit for the position.

Worst case, you don't get the job and continue to qualify for unemployment.

Allison Chaynes
11-02-2013, 11:20 PM
Well, I will be going in on Monday for the face to face interview... I was starting to wonder if they had decided against me, but I got the call yesterday afternoon. Wish me luck, and if anyone can think of good questions I should be asking, please send them my way!

Robin777
11-02-2013, 11:23 PM
I wish you good luck with the interview. go in and ace it!

MonctonGirl
11-03-2013, 12:05 AM
First, GO FOR IT.

1) How would I dress for this job (in drab, as I alluded)- dress shirt and tie, or polo shirt, what would be acceptable attire?

Ask the manager about the scope of acceptable attire....but wear a tie to the interview unless it's a casual attire store.

2) What other advice can you give? I know she is looking to bring someone in who will make a difference in loss prevention, specifically with regard to employee theft and holding people accountable.

For LP ... be ready to make enemies. If you need a friend, get a dog. Dishonest WOMEN are horrid to work with ... they will form the CLIQUE to get rid of you and claim all sorts of sexual harassment issues against you. So you need to MENTION this fact to the manager so that she will be prepared for the string of complaints of that nature BEFORE they happen so that you don't end up on legal trouble. Look, these women are stealing ... so be assured they WILL lie.

DAY ONE ... go in and enforce new policies (pre-approved by manager ) including ...
1) All store product purchased is to be paid for as soon as it is selected ( no holding/layaway things for days until pay day ) and it is to be bagged, taped-up & signed by manager on duty

Do a google search for retail loss prevention methods.

Do "surprise" purse inpections at store close ... but have TWO OTHERS ( NEVER YOU ) be the ones to inspect for earrings, other small products.etc

suzanne
11-03-2013, 12:42 AM
Just the other day, I stumbled upon a page with some very valuable info about how to respond to the interview question: "Do you have any questions for me?"
This page

http://www.thedailymuse.com/job-search/51-interview-questions-you-should-be-asking/

should help you knock someone's socks off and land you the job. Best of luck , sister!

Allison Chaynes
11-03-2013, 01:38 AM
GREAT advice MonctonGirl, and that link from Suzanne was VERY helpful also.

MissTee
11-03-2013, 07:51 AM
First of all, good luck in the interview Allison. Go in with confidence and I'm sure you'll do well. I have several thousand employees in my operation and a management team that helps oversee them. As you can imagine I sit in on a lot of interviews. Here's a few thoughts for you, and things I consider must have's for top interview performance:

- Dress professionally for the interview.
- Be prepared. Know the company, a bit about its history, sales record, stock rating, company culture, mission/vision, etc. Whatever you can dig up do so. Showing you know something about them says you care about getting the job and want to work there.
- When you're telling about yourself speak to specific results YOU delivered in past jobs. Try to do so without sounding narcissistic, and weave in examples of how you worked with teams to help drive success.
- Be confident. Prior to the interview day do things that help build up your self esteem. Run, walk, swim, shoot pool, whatever. Point is to exude a presence people want to have on their team, especially confidence in a leader (manager.) Trust me, you can't fake this.
- Remember the more interviews you do the more confidence you build. In the past I've went on throw away interviews -- jobs I would never take but just needed to practice interviewing. No harm if I didn't do well as I had no intent of taking the job anyway but I exposed my weak points to myself in the process.
- Get a current book on interview questions and how to answer them. Study it well.

In the end, getting the job requires you to demonstrate you have the skills and experience needed for the position and that you are a good fit for the culture and team. Again, good luck and keep us posted.

Denise Johnson
11-03-2013, 08:47 AM
And as far as the step down. Do you know the CEO of Food Lion or Winn Dixie forget which started as a cashier!!! She just keep moving up. And that's right I said SHE is CEO.

adrienner99
11-03-2013, 08:52 AM
Unless crossdressing came up in your conversation, she thinks you are an ordinary man who might provide the skills she needs in that position...I would go in as male, work as male if you get the job, then maybe gradually build trust and see if she could handle you being a CD, too.

karynspanties
11-03-2013, 08:55 AM
I agree.... wear a suit with a really colorful pretty tie.... I always get positive comments when I wear any of my Jerry Garcia ties... Good luck!

Karren, they are probably complimenting you on the outline of your corset they see under your suit!!

Allison Chaynes
11-04-2013, 10:21 PM
I had the face to face interview today, and was told to expect a call on Thursday. It seemed that it went really, really well. Oddly enough, the store manager brought up crossdressing when she went over the company benefits and discount program, emphasizing that if I wanted to use certain discounts, they were for associates alone and not for family, so I could only buy things for myself with those. I also would apparently NOT be the only male working there, which surprised me a bit.

I appreciate the advice and input, it was quite helpful. Thanks everyone!

MissTee
11-05-2013, 01:47 AM
Well congrats, Allison! Glad it went well. Let us know what Thursday brings.

Allison Chaynes
11-07-2013, 11:55 PM
Update: I got the job and negotiated a better than usual starting wage. I start Tuesday!

JenniferYager
11-08-2013, 12:03 AM
Wow, congrats! If you're a manager, be prepared to hold people accountable. I'd recommend corralling the staff on day one and laying out expectations. Give people a clean slate, but if they break your trust or company rules, document it and throw them out. There is nothing worse than having a crummy employee work for you, you end up spending 90% of your time on them when you should be rewarding good employees. The only way to deal with those that can't meet your standard is to get rid of them. Considering how many people are hurting for jobs, you shouldn't have a problem removing the bad ones and hiring in people that want to be part of your team. Heck, I'd join you part time (although I doubt you live in Georgia).

Allison Chaynes
11-08-2013, 12:14 AM
Thanks Jennifer. I've hired and canned plenty of people in my day and the 90% rule is too true. One of the good things about this opportunity is that the company is affiliated under a retail group with several other women's retail companies, so there is some promotion opportunity without having to relocate.

MissTee
11-08-2013, 12:28 AM
Congrats Allison. So happy for you!! So, what specifically is the job?

Rhonda Darling
11-08-2013, 08:24 AM
Allison:

Excellent. You'll be a corporate star in no time. It is clear that your professionalism and business ethics came through loud and clear in the interview. Congratulations. The lower salary may be more than compensated for by the change of pace, the environment you'll be working in, the employee discount, and your strong interest in the subject matter.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Best,
Rhonda

Jill Devine
11-08-2013, 08:39 AM
Update: I got the job and negotiated a better than usual starting wage. I start Tuesday!

Congratulations! Always love a happy ending.

Julie Gaum
11-09-2013, 07:10 PM
Assume you are starting as assistant manager as per your own post --- happy you got the job. You may have fired people in previous positions but that is certainly
no way to begin a new career so I take exception to what I KNOW iis bad advice. Kindly reread my first response and if you believe I'm full of it --- I'll butt out.
Good Luck
Julie

Jackie7
11-10-2013, 10:27 AM
Terrific thread and listen to Julie she clearly knows. And please keep us posted!

I have an occasional CD friend who worked in the women's section at Uniqlo, she said the pay was lousy but she loved the clientele and being able to help thm find a good fit and color. She has moved back into her original career as a graphic designer now, but note this: it is much much easier to get a job when you have a job. So even if this position doesn't turn out to be perfect for you, your next job will be easier to get. Very tough to get back into the job market in this era, but you gotta get one foot onto the ladder before you can go up.

Allison Chaynes
11-10-2013, 03:30 PM
Jackie, you read my mind! I am hoping to find something full time soon, and if that doesn't happen, then I hope I can build something new with this opportunity. I am fortunate in that my wife works and makes pretty good money. Sadly, my choice of bachelor's degree has not helped me, but I am optimistic something will turn up soon.

Terrific thread and listen to Julie she clearly knows. And please keep us posted!

I have an occasional CD friend who worked in the women's section at Uniqlo, she said the pay was lousy but she loved the clientele and being able to help thm find a good fit and color. She has moved back into her original career as a graphic designer now, but note this: it is much much easier to get a job when you have a job. So even if this position doesn't turn out to be perfect for you, your next job will be easier to get. Very tough to get back into the job market in this era, but you gotta get one foot onto the ladder before you can go up.

Julie, your advice is spot on. I would not go into any situation trying to be the Terminator. I intend to learn all I can and go from there. During the face to face, it sounded to me like a lot of the bad apples have been weeded out already. I will be starting as an assistant manager, albeit part time until a full time role opens up. I am really excited to get started.

mikiSJ
11-10-2013, 04:04 PM
Rule of thumb when job hunting: Dress for the job! I agree that for a SA position in a clothing store you should dress with a suit and tie.

This link may be TMI, but you may want to read it before getting all excited about working a DB

http://www.indeed.com/forum/cmp/Dressbarn/s-company-culture-at-Dressbarn/t63803

Allison Chaynes
11-11-2013, 02:29 PM
When I interviewed, I noticed three of the associates and the manager were all wearing jeans. I was told I could go to work with jeans and a collared shirt.

Miki, after reading that link, it reminds me of my own experience interviewing at DB a few months ago (the job I just got is actually at Lane Bryant). They kept asking questions skirting the fringes of legality around crossdressing and transgender statuses. I almost walked out of the interview once I sensed that I was only being interviewed as a "diversity candidate" for them to check the block. I can say, that I really liked the manager I will be working for, and the associates I had the chance to speak with seemed to like working there.

mikiSJ
11-11-2013, 03:28 PM
Good luck with your new job.

Nikki A.
11-11-2013, 07:01 PM
So you didn't tell us where the store is. We'd like to shop where we know we are accepted.

Allison Chaynes
11-22-2013, 09:13 PM
Sorry I've been away for a while. I am at Lane Bryant. I'd rather keep the exact location quiet though. After one week, it's been an education in retail!

sometimes_miss
11-22-2013, 09:46 PM
1. Dress for the job you want, not the job you have. Manager in business? Suit and tie, every day. Period, unless you're told otherwise
2. Forget about telling your prospective employers about anything transgender. You can feel out how they feel about that after you have the job, getting employment trumps your leisure time activities. Don't be led astray by the pink fog of 'everybody accepts us today'. They don't. See the thread by the guy who got screwed out of his job elsewhere on the forum.
3. Be professional. If the topic comes up, about why you applied at a woman's clothing store, just say that you're a good manager, and you feel that you can manage anywhere, and you're eager to learn about your company.
BTW, learn everything you can about the company. EVERYTHING. Who owns it, is it owned publicly or privately, how it's business has been in the recent past, etc.. AFA the tg thing, once you get the job you can say you got a phone call from a man who wanted to come in privately because he was interested in the clothes, but he was shy and was worried about what the staff might think. That will tell you what your boss thinks about crossdressers. Also, if it works out o.k., you'll have at least several CDers in the area coming in to buy stuff. If that works out, you might even get a bonus for bringing in new business; there are a lot of us who would love a friendly, private place to shop (you can always close a couple hours early for 'inventory' and let the TG guys in the back door, and package our stuff in 'plain brown boxes'.
there's lots of potential here.
Good luck.

Dora
11-23-2013, 06:58 PM
I would be very happy to have any type of desk job, am really good at typing about 60 wpm and good with anything on the computer, and then I can come into work in a red top and black dress:)

Allison Chaynes
11-26-2013, 10:15 PM
So yesterday was interesting. I know two of you came in to the store :) and were treated with nothing but professionalism, even the girl in drab who asked for the bra fitting. But it allowed me to have a conversation afterward with one of my peers, a college age 20 something, about CDing (I am not letting the cat out of the bag, just wanting to see what my peers' attitudes were towards it). Professionally, she doesn't raise an eyebrow when a CD comes in because their money is green, but personally she doesn't get it and would rather not see it. I pointed out she was wearing pants, which would have been taboo just a few decades ago. She agreed and said, yeah I guess I see your point.

Julie Gaum
11-27-2013, 08:29 PM
Allison, I just read your last post that two CDs came into your store recently. I sure hope you didn't suggest for them to shop. Normally that's fine but a drab bra fitting could have easily blown you out and I mean out in the sense that if one of the personnel got upset, or possibly refused to serve them, you would have been in a spot that you should never have to be exposed to at this early date. You have a possible career to be concerned with now and don't need this.
By the way, I'm pretty certain that this chain has an Associates Manual, or similar title, that I had previously referred to in regards to security rules so it would be interesting to know what their written rules are in regards to selling to CDs --- most chains now have pretty clear rules on this subject.
Julie

Allison Chaynes
11-30-2013, 01:04 PM
Hi Julie,

The customer asked for the fitting. I was told there is a certification process we have to go through before we can do bra fittings, which I won't go through until next spring. I have only seen the associate handbook online once and it didn't cover the topic of CDs. I simply treat them as any other customer, like I would like to be treated.

We did have a woman come in and purchase some pajamas and panties for her husband the other day, I told her she must be the best wife ever.

Julie Gaum
11-30-2013, 01:29 PM
Allison, in line with showing initiative and being pro-active --- would suggest you download that Handbook. Kind of shocked that it's not more relevant to your daily work-lives. Does it manualize procedures such as taking markdowns, associate purchases, sales to relatives etc., etc.? Chain is too big to depend on you, or anybody else, developing your own rules of conduct (and procedures). In the wild possibility that it isn't as comprehensive as it should be then it would be a path to your advancment. Check it out.
Julie

JenniferLynn0370
12-03-2013, 01:45 AM
Sounds like a great job Allison; I hope things continue to go well for you there!

Jen

Kristina_nolagirl
12-05-2013, 01:20 PM
Good for you! Sounds like fun! I've worked in retail before at the Gap when I was 18. It was awesome. The best part for me is dressing the mannequins. There are a lot of guys that work in women's only stores- so it's not that crazy!

JRZSHORE
12-05-2013, 01:30 PM
Sounds like a dram job or at least a great local team

sexyjean88
12-05-2013, 02:50 PM
female lifeguard at the neighborhood pool

Dana M
12-05-2013, 03:57 PM
Congratulations on the job Allison.

Allison Chaynes
12-09-2013, 03:34 PM
Thanks everyone... it's been enlightening but I am leaving the job at the end of the week- too much conflict with scheduling and things at home as a result. It was a good experience to have, worked with some good people, learned a lot too.... mainly that name brand clothes are way too damn expensive, even with employee discounts, and learned a lot about how we are viewed as customers.

Stephanie Sometimes
12-09-2013, 04:05 PM
Sorry to hear the job did not work out in the long term Allison. Can you enlighten us about your comment: "learned a lot about how we are viewed as customers"? Do you mean CD customers or all customers?

Hugs,
Stephanie

Susan.
12-09-2013, 07:01 PM
I would consider it a dream job if I was a sales type person.

Tricia Lee
12-09-2013, 07:27 PM
Can you enlighten us about your comment: "learned a lot about how we are viewed as customers"? Do you mean CD customers or all customers?

^^^^^
This

Allison Chaynes
12-23-2013, 12:59 AM
Sorry everyone, I have been away for a while... a lot going on! I was referring to CD customers. My month there taught me that while SA's will put on a happy face and do what they are expected to, none of the people I worked with are the least bit accepting. I only think I had one CD customer that whole month, which surprised me. I did have two women who told me they were shopping for husbands though.

Almost every day, I'd also have at least two or three women look at me funny and mention they'd never seen a man in a woman's clothing store and ask how that happened? I'd tell them I lost my job a few months back and this one paid better than most of what I had been offered. I was surprised how many thanked me for helping them find what they wanted while shopping and told me they'd come back and ask for me again. I only had one experience even close to negative, and that was with a repeat customer who let her kid run crazy in the store.

Marsha My Dear
01-01-2014, 01:05 PM
My interviewing rule of thumb is to dress one notch better than the person interviewing me. It shows you are paying attention without making a power play.

Daphne Renee
01-01-2014, 08:15 PM
sorry things didnt work out for you..hope things get better for you soon