PDA

View Full Version : Would you/have you been offended if/when your SO suggested a new style of dress?

Mssusan
10-27-2013, 09:56 PM
My post title says it all.

TIA for your thoughts.

AllieSF
10-27-2013, 10:02 PM
Me personally, NO. However, as we all know everyone is a little bit different. I would guess that many if not most would be happy to receive constructive criticism, in the form of helpful recommendations for clothes, makeup techniques, accessories, mannerisms to walk and act more like a GG. However, there are a lot here who do not have a communication process with their SO's. In those cases, it is sometimes hard to predict what reaction you may get. In a humorous, though oh so real way, it is like a man trying to answer honestly to his SO when she asks, "Does this make me look fat?"!

PS: I don't currently have an SO. But did before I started dressing.

giuseppina
10-27-2013, 10:02 PM
Don`t have an SO.

As long as I am decently dressed under the law and no changes are made other than clothing, body hair removal, and makeup, and I don`t have to go out in public, the answer is no.

That said, I am a closet dresser with no plans to go out.

Violet-13
10-27-2013, 10:04 PM
of coarse not my SO has great tastes

Beverley Sims
10-27-2013, 10:07 PM
Having my wife give input to my dressing is always a step forward.
Even if I do not agree I would accept it as a compliment and treat it as such.

Audrey_FR
10-27-2013, 11:01 PM
Absolutly not. I gladly accept her advises because that help me to have a better look. Never been deceived. Thanks to my wife.

Siobhan_Cross
10-27-2013, 11:06 PM
If I had a SO I would gladly welcome any suggestions

Jenniferathome
10-27-2013, 11:09 PM
Not at all. I ask my wife for her opinion all the time and also the "why" of that decision. She never forces it on me, but she'll say x or y looks good and z does not because... There are a million subtle things about women and style that we are not close to and need to learn. Who better to tell us?

Phydelia
10-27-2013, 11:24 PM
Sometimes a little sad, because i put a lot of effort into my femme look before i present it to Her, and wouldn't bother Her with any look i didn't really like, but i trust Her judgement as a beautiful GG.

Cynthia Anne
10-27-2013, 11:38 PM
I think that would be a quality in a SO that I would want!

AmyGaleRT
10-27-2013, 11:41 PM
If my fiancee had suggestions for me, I would see if they made sense, and if they did, I would do those. But I always have the final say when it comes to my appearance, and she seems to like my style anyhow.

- Amy

Rachelakld
10-28-2013, 12:34 AM
No, while I don't always agree with her style ideas for me, mostly she has a good eye for what I'm in to.

Alice B
10-28-2013, 12:40 AM
Not at all. it would suggest a new level of acceptance for me.

Eryn
10-28-2013, 01:47 AM
Absolutely NOT! Most of my fashion ideas either come from Mimi's advice or I run them by her for a "sanity check." She will often suggest things that I haven't yet considered and I've learned to pay close attention to what she says!

Amanda M
10-28-2013, 03:09 AM
No, I'm usually delighted!

EnglishBeth
10-28-2013, 03:22 AM
No, always welcome her input. As said earlier in the thread, also shows a degree of acceptance.

Diversity
10-28-2013, 04:32 AM
I would not have been offended in the least. Everyone has their opinions and if my SO suggested this, I know it would have been said with kindness and consideration for me. She would just be being honest with me, and trying to look after me.
Di

Kate Simmons
10-28-2013, 04:41 AM
Not at all Ms Susan. My SO usually has very good tastes in outfits. The only thing we differ on is she says my breasts aren't big enough en femme. :)

Joanne f
10-28-2013, 05:21 AM
Not at all , it reminds me a bit of the black dress red dress scenario :D

Jillian Faith
10-28-2013, 05:30 AM
Absolutely not! Actually neither my SO or myself would wear an outfit that the other did not approve of and think looked good on us.

sensational
10-28-2013, 06:13 AM
My wife is very helpful with style suggestions.There is nothing I love more than going girly shopping with her - which we are planning to do in a month.

LoobyLoo
10-28-2013, 06:59 AM
I would not be offended at all but there are some things which I wear as a fantasy thing which I would not even let her see. She is very supportive, but not opposed to have a cheeky laugh at my expense from time to time.

Sarah Beth
10-28-2013, 07:36 AM
I would listen to what my wife told me, and see if it made sense to me. She has done it before, she also tells me that I wear things she would never wear but that I look good in them. She and I have different tastes but then we have different body shapes and can't for the most part wear the same things.

NicoleScott
10-28-2013, 07:37 AM
Is the new national pasttime being offended, or worse, offended by proxy? If someone makes a suggestion as innocent as a new dress style and you get offended, you have a problem. I say this as someone who gets negative comments (disguised as suggestions) because I prefer an over-the-top style. Yes, my style doesn't pass well and I don't represent other out-and-about CDers in a positive light, but so what? You can take offense or get over it, as I do when it is suggested that I tone it down. So, take the suggestion as information or ignore it and move on.

Denise Shelly
10-28-2013, 07:50 AM
My so's imput into dressing is very important. She has great style sence and any guidance is aways welcome.

suchacutie
10-28-2013, 08:03 AM
Offended? Not a chance! My wife has always been tina's mentor. Without my wife tina, s progress would have been painfully slow. What did happen was that after a few years Tina thought she had a fashion sense and bought a lovely top/skirt outfit online. It fit perfectly. One look from my wife and it was clear she thought it really didn't work. Tina was a bit devastated. But, we analyzed why it didn't work, gave the outfit to Goodwill and moved on, a bit wiser.

vallerie lacy
10-28-2013, 08:17 AM
I can't think of too many things that I would like to discuss with my wife, other than the thing I so much love to do. Not matter how much we try, we will never have a female mind. Anything having to do with my dressing is always welcome in my mind.

Robbin_Sinclair
10-28-2013, 08:19 AM
My so's imput into dressing is very important. She has great style sence and any guidance is aways welcome.

Exactly the same for me, although I'm still pretty much in the closet for her.

Our favorite show today is a reality show called Project Runway. It's all about design. It got me behind the sewing machine again, after only using it to make sailboat stuff.

Marcelle
10-28-2013, 08:21 AM
Offended nope. I spend a predominant amount of my life in a military uniform of some kind so fashion not a big thing for me. My wife will help me pick out clothes and make suggestions which I normally take. As I develop Isha's sense of style, I always get an opinion from my wife. Her big thing for me is "age appropriate" boy or girl mode.

Hugs

Isha

Cheryl T
10-28-2013, 08:52 AM
Not at all. I welcome her input always.
We constantly are commenting on styles we like for ourselves and each other and it's nice to have that other viewpoint as there are times when I don't see something that she does and vice versa. An example was once we were shopping in Macy's and I found a dress I really liked. She thought the colors didn't work together on the dress until I bought it and brought it home. Once she saw it on she liked it. And so it goes...

Stephanie47
10-28-2013, 09:03 AM
I would be delighted if my wife suggested I wear ANYTHING feminine!

Judith96a
10-28-2013, 09:21 AM
I'm with Stephanie. Having my wife suggest that I wear ANYTHING feminine would be a dream come true!

Sally Martin
10-28-2013, 11:51 AM
I wouldn't know what to do without her help and support. My fashion sense is just not that well developed.

carhill2mn
10-28-2013, 12:50 PM
My wife, at the time, had a different "style" than I liked. She did however, make a couple of suggestions which I heeded:
1) less makeup is often times better; 2) pull your blouse up just a bit in the front so as to have a "softer" line and not a "pulled down" look.

franlee
10-28-2013, 03:46 PM
Not at all. After all I adore her and nearly everything she wears, but even more important she is the one I dress to impress. She has to look at me so the more too her liking the better for me.

linda allen
10-28-2013, 03:52 PM
No I would not be offended.

Michelle51
10-28-2013, 05:32 PM
No, I rely on her judgement for some sort of reality chat.

Rachael Leigh
10-28-2013, 05:37 PM
No I just would love for my SO to buy me a nice dress, lol

ReineD
10-28-2013, 05:51 PM
My SO only welcomes my opinion when s/he asks for it which is rare. S/he does not like comments, when they are not requested. She gives me the impression that she has taken the two unsolicited comments I have made in the past, as an insult. This saddens me because I did have her best interest as heart. So I've learned to keep my opinions to myself, on the very few occasions when I have them.

Edit - I forgot to mention that I only have opinions about appearance while going out in the mainstream. Of course, anything goes in TG clubs or at home in private.

Steph_CD_62
10-28-2013, 05:54 PM
Of course not. I value the opinion of my wife.

Michelle (Oz)
10-28-2013, 06:36 PM
Oh how I would love to have the benefit of my wife's advice. That would require her to be prepared to see me dressed and talk about what I should wear. Oh well.

There is an upside though. I know that she would regard some clothes I wear as age inappropriate.

kimdl93
10-28-2013, 06:40 PM
No I wouldn't....unless it was male clothing;)

RADER
10-28-2013, 06:59 PM
My SO often would show me a picture in a catalog and tell me that I would
look great in this or that. I then "RAN" to the computer to order it.
Rader

Lisa Diane
10-28-2013, 11:53 PM
When we were together my ex would pick out clothes for my girl side,it was great having someone to shop with, she REALLY liked to spend tho. I was never offended by any of the dresses or other clothes she would pick out for me. She would say that the clothes I picked for her were too girly!
Lisa