PDA

View Full Version : I Get to dress-up and nobody will care

Marcelle
10-28-2013, 09:20 AM
Hi all,

For those who have followed some of my posts you may recall an accidental outing when I returned an elderly gent (senile) to his daughter's house while I was en femme. I was read by the woman but she only thanked me and was quite understanding. Since that time my wife and I have developed a friendship with the family and seen them on occasion.

One day I was talking about my past-time of performing in community theatre groups in places I have been posted to. The woman approached me later in private and said she was part of a local theatre group and they were kind of stuck for a male lead for the upcoming play "Leading Ladies" (can you see where this is leading . . . no pun intended). The role is one of two men who decide to dress up like women in order to secure an inheritance from a dying woman and the comedy ensues from there.

So what could I do but agree to play the role. The grand total of dress time includes a Cleopatra costume, a chic pantsuit (play is set in the 50s) and a ball gown (with heels). I have been rehearsing with the group for a few weeks now and we are beginning to incorporate costume into the rehearsals . . . think heels. Naturally, I make sure I look like a dude walking in heels so as not to draw too much attention . . . but Isha really wants to rock those heels.

My one pain is that the make-up people have decided to go with an outlandish make-up job to make us look like guys with make-up. We had a trial the other day and I had to stop myself from putting on my own mascara and eyeliner :).

All that aside it is a great play and full of lots of laughs and I get to wear a dress and nobody will care . . . in fact they will applaud (at least I hope they will :daydreaming:)

Hugs

Isha

Judith96a
10-28-2013, 09:34 AM
Isha,
That sounds like loads of fun. Know what you mean about wanting to rock those heels and do your own makeup! I'm totally in the closet. The only time that family and friends have seen me in anything remotely feminine was many years ago when I got dragooned into participating in a spoof fashion show where the guys modelled the dresses and the girls modelled the boys clothes. Had to be very careful to play dumb so as to not out myself! The most frustrating bit was that the organiser couldn't find a pair of heels in my size ( she didn't know about the pair of 4 inch stilettos at the very back of my mum's closet that fit me to a T!) - talk about frustrating!

Have fun!
Judy

Alice Torn
10-28-2013, 09:37 AM
They couldn't have picked a better guy for the role!!!!!!!! Sounds fun!

Cynthia Anne
10-28-2013, 10:29 AM
Great story! I guess sometimes it is nice to be laughed at! Have fun!

Beverley Sims
10-28-2013, 10:54 AM
Isha,
A unique twist to an odd situation.
I would rock in those heels and just remark on how skilful you are.
You could suggest to the makeup artists? that if a good job is done it will impress people more than a comic makeover.

kimdl93
10-28-2013, 07:15 PM
I dare you to do your own make up !

Mssusan
10-28-2013, 07:46 PM
Sounds like fun! I agree with Beverley. Rock the heels and makeup!

Your post reminded me that cross dresser or not, many people like to have the opportunity to play a role that they secretly desire but can't usually.

ericalynn
10-28-2013, 08:20 PM
Rock the heels, you can credit the rehearsals. Don't do your own makeup unless you want to out yourself, it is harder to explain learning that much about makeup that quickly. Do suggest that since no one expects you to look perfectly like a woman, tone it down a little (after all, it is theatre!) and let your performance carry you.

We will want to see pictures!

AmyGaleRT
10-28-2013, 09:23 PM
Wonderful, Isha! You get to become a practicing thespian. :D

I've been on stage before (though not en femme), and I had a lot of fun with it. I hope you do the same!

- Amy

ColleenCD
10-28-2013, 10:43 PM
I agree with Kim, I double dare you to do your own make up and Rock those heels! Rare events call for opportunities taken.

Colleen

Lorileah
10-28-2013, 11:53 PM
The make up thing? I bet it isn't as garish from the audience's point of view. I know I think I over do make up and the photos almost look like I didn't do it at all

Alexis.j
10-29-2013, 02:10 AM
Great, have fun. Rock those heels hun!
So what if some people notice...
If they catch you dressing in public, you could always use the im practicing for my theater act' excuse.

Marcelle
11-09-2013, 09:39 AM
Hi all,

It was opening night for our play last night and it went very well. I decided to throw caution to the wind and work the Maxine role to the hilt. So when I am on stage I channel that inner diva and rock those heels. When they completed the make-up while I could see vestiges of Isha in the mirror, it was still very guy-like (ah . . . to be able to do my own makeup). However a few of the cast members and some from the audience commented that I make a pretty girl and purple pant suit I wear looked quite girlish on me.

After the performance, I had one lady come straight up and say "Okay, how long did you have to practice to walk in those heels let alone run around the stage in them?" So I just smiled and told her the truth . . . a month solid of practicing around the house (which was the truth but not for the play).

Two friends came to last night's performance, one I am not out to and one that I am. The one who I am out to said that it all makes sense now the one who I am not out to said "man your mannerisms were so much like a chick you had me worried for a moment until you went back to being a guy".

The other interesting thing that occurred was that I spent the entire time before the play "en femme" so when I deconstructed Isha to go to the play for make-up, my wig and cap and left a noticeable line on my forehead. So when the make-up lady asked what is that, I had to think fast and say "Oh was on the rifle ranges all day and that is just line from the Kevlar helmet band". One of the cast members present knows about Isha (in fact I went for coffee with her that afternoon) so she got a bit of a chuckle . . . adlibbing is not just for the play :heehee:.

All in all a great night and only four more performances to go.

Hugs

Isha

Victoria StJohn
11-09-2013, 11:04 AM
Isha, you need to take this show on the road, so we all can see your grand performance.:D

Chickhe
11-09-2013, 01:37 PM
Great story! I get that head band too. It helps to wear a wig cap or to loosen the wig a bit. I've used the 'I was wearing a hat' or welding helmet before. If you massage the area it goes away faster. The comments from people are always funny...when they say they were worried for a minute (always makes me laugh because nothing has changed, its only their perception that is flawed). Makes for very interesting times when some people know your sideline and others have no clue and they meet you at the same time.

Bria
11-09-2013, 01:49 PM
Isha, I can't wait for the next edition of the Isha Adventures!! You are gaqining confidence by leaps and bounds, wish I was, Bria

Joanne.England
11-09-2013, 01:55 PM
Sounds like you are having fun and the play is going down well. Sounds like there could be more roles like this in the future.

Lorileah
11-09-2013, 02:00 PM
Bravisimo! Way to go. I am now here I will have to cross dress for a show in December. When I say "crossdress" I mean I will have to appear as a male. I think I remember how to do that

CD_DIANE
11-09-2013, 02:13 PM
Hi Isha,

Just one comment, makeup needs to be exaggerated when on stage as the spotlights will wash out "normal" makeup.

Glad you did well !

Diane

Beverley Sims
11-10-2013, 12:42 AM
In reply to your post # 13, I say give it your all.
Holding back makes for a bad performance as does severe overacting.
Most people would not see the makeup with a lot of salmon gels over the lights anyway.
Perform well and people will be entertained.
Perform badly and the audience will look at someone else to entertain them.

Marcelle
11-10-2013, 09:20 AM
Thanks all for the comments. The role is quite fun and the make-up is a bit exaggerated near the end because I am going from Leo (tuxedo) to Maxine (ball gown) back to Leo and then back to Maxine in a span of 15 minutes . . . so my last appearance would be as a guy who threw on a dress, wig and heels ran lipstick over his face and ran back in.

I was told that due to the size of the theatre group, historically they always have trouble casting some roles (both male and female). One of the ladies suggested that in the future if they had a problem casting a women's role they should cast me. I am sure she was joking, but heck . . . I think I may have potentially doubled my casting opportunities :)

Raychel
11-10-2013, 10:23 AM
Sounds like a great time, I wish I could see the show.