PDA

View Full Version : Jury Duty

KarenSusan
10-30-2013, 09:34 AM
I just received my summons for jury duty. Have any of you ever reported for
jury duty enfemme?

vallerie lacy
10-30-2013, 09:40 AM
Sounds like it could be a good way to get out of jury duty. After all, most people don't understand that we are saner than the majority of them. They are unaware that we, above all, have all our ducks in a row. They are the ones with the unrestrained demons. Good luck.

linda allen
10-30-2013, 09:40 AM
If you want to be excused, that would probably work. More likely, the judge would order you to dress appropriately for the trial if you are selected. Judges don't have much of a sense of humor and they can be pretty strict on what happens in their courtrooms.

A late friend of mine was selected for jury duty. The judge ordered him to wear a suit. He said he didn't have one (he was over 300 lb and had no other need for a suit). The judge told him to get one.

Sarah Beth
10-30-2013, 10:03 AM
I have never one time in my life been sent a summons for jury duty. I don't know why, and there are times when I would have gladly served on the jury. However, your question about if I would go en femme I would have to say not. I have never gone out in public dressed and where I lived if I did go dressed I would be next one on trial because I'm almost certain that on the local law books here they would find some obscure subsection finding it illegal for me to be dressed.

Chickhe
10-30-2013, 10:07 AM
It should be fine. However, its not the place to play around or make a statement. If you live full time in a dress then do it and wear a woman's suit that shows respect for the court.

Lexi Moralas
10-30-2013, 10:21 AM
I wished I could but never have , I never get called for a jury any way it's just a long waisted day for me dressing might make it more fun

TxKimberly
10-30-2013, 10:39 AM
It should be fine. However, its not the place to play around or make a statement. If you live full time in a dress then do it and wear a woman's suit that shows respect for the court.

Yeah, what she said.
It's been a long time ago, and I dont recall where I read it, but I recall reading a blog/story from someone that did go dressed and WAS selected for the Jury. I wouldn't do it as a way to get out of it if I were you. I had considered doing this myself a couple of years ago but decided not to.

Sarasometimes
10-30-2013, 10:55 AM
Present yourself in the gender you present as, most often in public. The dress code would be conservative business attire to business casual. As someone else here said the courts rarely have a good sense of humor. Also expect to see someone you know while you are there.
Good luck, and thank you for serving. I've done it a couple of times and it can be quite interesting. It is amazing how some people get summoned many times and others never have been. My affiliation now excludes me.

Beverley Sims
10-30-2013, 11:30 AM
Not me but some have here, there have been a couple of remarkable objections if I remember.
Many have asked the question before and been advised against it.

samanthasolo
10-30-2013, 11:54 AM
It sounds like a sure way to not get chosen for a case, or maybe increase the risk of being in contempt of court! If you didn't shave and apply makeup Lol! The judge might evengo as far as to say "You have big balls for a lady to show up in my court that way"
There is a time and a place for everything! That might not be the best place to be dressing

Jaylyn
10-30-2013, 12:13 PM
Since we have to sign in for jury duty and present a form of ID, it might be advisable to go by what the form says on your id. Say you used a SSN and that number shows you to be a male and you do fool the judge, lawyers, and others you could be the reason possibly for a mistrial if any one found out and then held in contempt of court yourself. If you should go in femme you might should be truthful up front with the selection process. That way I don't feel either side would have any objection if you were chosen as they knew in advance. These are just MHO's

Cheryl T
10-30-2013, 12:28 PM
Is this the ala Corporal Klinger move to get tossed out??
I don't think any judge would appreciate that move.

Carla4Guage
10-30-2013, 12:51 PM
If you were to be picked for a jury and while deliberating the verdict you had to use the rest room and chose the wrong one the bailiff might have you reported and you might become the next case! No I think I would go in drab.

mikiSJ
10-30-2013, 12:53 PM
In California it is not illegal to crossdress and therefore if a male showed up dressed as a female, there would not be a problem - but he would probably be excused.

If a transgendered individual showed up and presented in his/her preferred gender, then there would not be an issue - how could there be. If the identifying documents state gender, OR, the individual states his/her gender and the individual shows gender consistent dress, there will not be a requirement to dress otherwise.

Vickie_CDTV
10-30-2013, 01:02 PM
Frankly, it sounds like a good way to be held in contempt. If someone is not fulltime (or have some medical documentation), why go there? Given the gravity of their power, why risk it?

If one wants to get out of jury duty, there are better ways to do it.

Bootsiegalore
10-30-2013, 01:45 PM
If you just want out the question phase is easy.... When I was questioned by the prosecutor, he asked me if I would believe a policeman over a another witness and I said yes.... GONE! I just said yay and ran!

Cindi
10-30-2013, 01:48 PM
Going dressed in Ontario would be very interesting.
The Ontario government recently passed legislation providing for one to change their birth certificate, driver's licence, etc. to the gender they present, regardless of their sex, with no SRS required.
All one needs to do to have these documents amended to indicate your chosen gender is to provide the authorities with a doctor's letter stating your preferred gender.
I believe the cost is $97 to have a document amended.
Infornation is available on the Ontario government web site with full details how the decision came about.
Actually it resulted from an Ontario Human Rights Commission decision.

Meg East
10-30-2013, 04:27 PM
Not a good idea. Most judges don't tolerate distractions in their court.

RADER
10-30-2013, 04:42 PM
Not a good idea. Most judges don't tolerate distractions in their court.

I agree, this is the Corts now, not a grocery store. You could be held in contempt.
I woul not do it.

Being Paige
10-30-2013, 06:00 PM
I did recently but not fully, I had on my girly jeans and a top with light makeup and that was it. No wig. No one even looked at me differently

BLUE ORCHID
10-30-2013, 07:50 PM
Hi Karen, Be Careful what you wish for !!

Cindia
10-30-2013, 08:04 PM
Been summoned at least 3 times, did 2 trials. No dress code, most wore jeans. No crossdressers that I was aware of. I think there was an article at aliceingenderland about this. I'd guess it could be possible to go dressed if you often go out dressed and don't say you are any one other than what the summons and your id say.

Sheren Kelly
10-30-2013, 08:21 PM
A couple of years ago, Dilane posted her experiences while serving jury duty. If you are living at least part time you should have good reason to serve enfeme. If you only casually dress for a thrill, then it probably will be a bad idea.

Karren H
10-30-2013, 08:56 PM
I seriously considered it a couple times... but each time I didn't and was so glad because I ended up in a pool with coworkers.... knew one of the lawyers and the judge... lol. Now on days I only had to report I did dress after and went shopping around town... funny too but one of the days while in the court house we had a fly through by a local TS/drag queen.... most of the men in the jury had no clue she was a he....

NinaP
10-30-2013, 09:00 PM
I've seen a MTF serve on a jury. The judge was respectful, asking her how she would like to addressed. After that, the judge and the attorneys addressed her as "Ms."

I was happy to see her serve.

So I didn't have to.

heatherdress
10-30-2013, 09:01 PM
Why would you want to crossdress for jury duty?

If for fun - not appropriate
If it is the way you normally dress for work or business - appropriate

karanne
10-30-2013, 09:12 PM
I've been living enfemme since high school, so that means that when I received a jury summons it was as Karen. I dressed like I did for the office (skirted business suit), took my laptop and got some work done on my novel. I've been summoned several times; been seated twice and dismissed twice (probably because I worked for the government). Never had a problem with documentation - I just showed the jury summons I got in the mail.

That being said, out of three hundred or so people in the jury room, I was one of only two dozen or so that showed respect for the process by 'dressing up' in business wear. The others were variables of 'slob' or 'running around, doing chores' casual.

~Lady K.~

DianeDeBris
10-30-2013, 10:34 PM
Hi - I actually know a wee small bit about this - if you dress in public only at Halliween, or if you were to show up as an over-the-top Drag Queen in the hope of avoiding jury duty, I'd expect consequences. If you live most of your life as a woman, then a call, letter or visit to the court or court clerk, in advance and dressed business formal to state frankly your concerns and your needs, will get you respect, courtesy and a seat in the prospective jury panel. Let them see you are serious, and you will get the respect you deserve; give them the idea you're mocking the Ststem, they'll try to teach you a lesson.

lingerieLiz
10-30-2013, 10:51 PM
I think that most of the summons state dress appropriate or some such words depending on the state. So unless you are transitioning dress male. I've been summoned a few times, but will never get picked. Some trials are interesting.

Most of the judges I know are not that tolerant.

iwearbras
10-30-2013, 11:29 PM
I would not chance it. But you could go under dressed

giuseppina
10-30-2013, 11:34 PM
If you get a particularly irritable judge, you may find yourself on the wrong end of a charge of contempt. Not worth the risk, IMO.

celeste26
10-30-2013, 11:51 PM
I too have been getting jury summons but every time it gets canceled or pleaded out. (no actual trials) Maybe one day after I am too old to participate, I'll finally get to see the inside of a jury room.

Christinedreamer
10-31-2013, 12:03 AM
Luckily I do not come close to passing and I would not do it myself for a couple reasons. One, I would be a distraction, two my brother in law is a criminal defense attorney and I know the crap they pull, and three, I no longer trust the police or judges. Given the current corrupt climate of American jurisprudence, I doubt I will ever serve on a jury.

Jacqueline Winona
10-31-2013, 12:25 AM
In San Mateo or Snata Clara COunty ( guessing based on where you live based on your profile), you won't be held in contempt. Judges in either county are sufficiently familiar with crossdressing, transsexuals, and transgender behavior that, while they find your attire unusual, they will treat you professionally and with dignity. You probably won't get picked as a juror, though. Notwithstanding the one member who was selected as a juror (and served as foreperson), most civil defense attorneys will reject you because they want predictable, preferably conservative jurors and you just won't give that vibe if you're dressed. And most prosecutors want followers, not those who are willing to stand apart, as jurors, and dressing obviously proves you're not that. :)

Kate T
10-31-2013, 12:28 AM
I've never been called for jury duty (we have far fewer jury trials in Australia than the US due to our legal system).
My opinion would be would I be showing disrespect or distracting the court from dealing with the matter at hand? Jury duty is not a "fun day out" and you should respect this is a crucial part of our democratic system that deserves respect.

daviolin
10-31-2013, 10:01 AM
Here's how I would do it. Just wear nice casual women's clothes. Like a pair of slacks a sweater and not to conspicuous shoes.A nice clean shave and lotion up. Of course full under dress. I dress like this all the time in public. even to church. I know I've stated in many threads that I don't go out en fem anymore, but I guess I do. The main thing is don't dress to stand out in the crowd. Dress respectable and comfortable. Daviolin

Jamie001
11-03-2013, 05:35 PM
If you get a particularly irritable judge, you may find yourself on the wrong end of a charge of contempt. Not worth the risk, IMO.

If you are charged with contempt simply for dressing in women's clothing, the ACLU will be all over it and you will be able to sue the city (state, county) for millions of dollars. I don't believe that a judge would risk it.

Eryn
11-03-2013, 06:25 PM
I would only go dressed if I could be completely relaxed while doing so. There are certain situations where I can be relaxed, but jury duty is a stressful situation to begin with (after all, I am being hauled into court for an indefinite time against my will) and my preference would be to keep things simple.

AlyssaS
11-03-2013, 07:24 PM
If you are charged with contempt simply for dressing in women's clothing, the ACLU will be all over it and you will be able to sue the city (state, county) for millions of dollars. I don't believe that a judge would risk it.

I disagree with this. Contempt is pretty much at the judge's discretion. At best, you would get compensated for your time if they held you in jail or you could beat the fine. But if the court argued you were attempting to deceive the court, I think it could stand.

Shelly Preston
11-04-2013, 12:22 PM

Sorry Jamie but if the judge thinks your being disrespectful no matter how you dress you will be facing contempt charges. Then you have to try and argue the point later. I would not be hopeful of a good outcome even with the best laywers. The ACLU wont fight a case unless that have a reasonable chance of winning.

Stephanie47
11-04-2013, 12:53 PM
In Washington State the law offers protection from discrimination for gays, lesbians, transsexuals and transgendered persons. It would be against the law to throw someone out of the jury pool because she or he is one of these protected citizens. If one is transgendered then I would recommend appearing in respectful business attire. I've sat on juries and I've always encountered jury members who take their citizen duty seriously.

I suspect the appearance of a transgendered person in the pool of prospective jurors would give the attorney's something else to consider in the selection of the jurors.

Devin C
11-04-2013, 01:03 PM
No I haven't. Don't think I would have the nerve to. But I never know.

SoCalCD_Tanya
11-04-2013, 01:43 PM
I posed this question a while back when I also got summoned for jury duty (I guess great minds think alike lol) I was very tempted to go dressed as I now live in a different city than the one I was supposed to go to. I chickened out and ended up just under dressing like usual.

jjjjohanne
11-04-2013, 10:47 PM
It would be more interesting if some would contact their local courthouses and ask for the official policy. Who knows, it might be on their websites.