PDA

View Full Version : Amy's Big Halloween

AmyGaleRT
10-31-2013, 09:34 PM
Finally, after months of preparation and waiting, Amy was able to come into the office...as “Witch Amy” for Halloween. The ensuing day exceeded expectations and taught me some valuable lessons.

The night before, I got everything together I would need, all my clothes, jewelry, and makeup, and prepared a messenger bag containing various things I might need, including a small cosmetic bag for all my makeup, a mirror, my hairbrush, my wand, and my actual purse. I also painted my nails, to save time in the morning.

At 5:30 AM, I woke up and started my transformation, taking special care with my makeup. One thing extra I had to accomodate was my security badge holder, which I clipped to the edge of the back tie of my dress, under my right arm and covered by the dress’ voluminous sleeve. I was finished by 7:45 AM, when I picked up my bag and broomstick, put on my satin cape and witch’s hat, and walked out to the car for the drive to work. I put in a CD I’d made of “bewitching” music to help get me in the right mood. The music helped, especially as I started to sing along with Olivia Newton-John: ”Have to believe we are magic, nothin’ can stand in our way…” I also sang along with Heather Nova’s cover of Peter Gabriel’s “I Have The Touch,” from the movie The Craft.

The badge got me into the parking structure, and I arrived at 8:15. I had thought I would get a better spot by arriving sooner, but all the good spots were taken already. I parked the car, shut off the engine, reminded myself, “Remember, confident in yourself, confident in your presentation!”, and opened the door. My heels clicked as I crossed the concrete deck to the stairs; I elected to take the parking structure elevator instead, to keep from having to negotiate the stairs in stiletto heels. With that obstacle successfully passed, I entered the building proper, concentrating to avoid slipping on the tile floor...which was one aspect of this endeavor I had not been able to practice.

The first indication of how the day would go came from the lobby security guard, who said, “I think we have a winner.” “Good morning,” I said to him, in perfect Amy-voice. I entered an elevator with several other people, all bound for floors other than mine. One woman complimented me on my hat before I got off at my floor. I successfully negotiated a badge-locked door and headed for my cubicle, passing a couple of people and telling them “Good morning” in turn.

My cubicle is located along a major traffic hallway that leads from the elevators to the break room, so a number of people came by. It got to be a pattern; someone would come by and express approval or amazement, and I would say, “Good morning,” in Amy-voice. Nobody had anything bad to say, but here’s where I learned my first lesson: People who know the male me can tell that I’m me even while en femme. However, some of them are open-minded enough to switch pronouns without being prompted, like one of my fellow developers who asked me what she should call me. I admitted to the name “Amy,” and she used it for me consistently the rest of the day...and others did, too, as word spread.

Various aspects of my outfit got special mention from various people: my hat, my makeup, my nails, my jewelry, and my shoes. (I was asked if I could really walk in them several times; I would walk a few steps and turn by way of proof. Some GG coworkers would say that they couldn’t walk that gracefully in heels, or that they couldn’t wear that height at all.) However, not one person mentioned something that I thought would get more notice...my boobs. I had expected something like “What are those?” or “Where did you get those?” Maybe they weren’t that obvious, or were just a detail people expected to see. Or maybe people would no sooner draw attention to my ersatz breasts than they would to a GG’s real ones in a work environment.

I did actually manage to get some work done; I ran the code I’d been working on through a couple more test scenarios and then marked the development story as ready for QA. Meantime, I also browsed, touched up my makeup, and used my phone to talk with my fiancee via text message and pass updates to Facebook. I did occasionally get up and walk around; the breaks were welcome, especially since that satin cape was getting overly warm. I sipped gently from a cup of icewater, not wanting to drink too much and have to make frequent restroom visits.

The costume contest started at 11:45, and there were many people dressed in costume, almost stretching end to end in the break room. I stood near one end of the line, broomstick in one hand, wand in the other, easily towering over everyone else due to both my height and my heels. Voting was conducted by applause; when I was called to step forward, I would raise my wand with a flourish, facing both ends of the room. I was picked for the first group of six people, then for the final three...then I was awarded first prize! I received a $50 MasterCard gift card as a result. Second prize went to my fellow developer A., a GG, who was dressed as a voodoo priestess, with a voodoo doll that had a picture of the CEO’s face attached to it. Third place went to S. from the QA department, who was wearing a “morphsuit” that make him look like a cross between a harlequin and a walking anatomy demonstration. (He came by my cubicle a couple of times earlier, miming a threatening posture; I mimed raising my wand to zap him, and he feigned hurt and left.) I spoke with A. later, apologizing if I’d stolen her thunder. She was pleased that I’d dressed, though, even if I’d beaten her, and complimented my outfit. (Apparently the CEO made some joking comment to her like “I’ll be keeping an eye on you!” He said nothing to me, though.)

Afterwards, I shed my cape, and joined the line for the potluck lunch. I didn’t eat much, though. I continued to be Amy through the afternoon, to such an extent that one of my coworkers said, “You’re freaking me out, you never broke character once!” (Little does he know that this is a bit more than just a “character.”) I think I unnerved my manager a bit, though he won’t admit to it and was very complimentary. Later that afternoon, some people brought their kids in to go trick-or-treating around the office, and I got to interact with some of the children.

A bit after 5:00, I managed to negotiate the stairs down to the next floor (where some of our offices are located) and ducked into the ladies’ room. One other woman was in there, but she didn’t see me enter and I never saw her, only heard her. Afterwards, I went back upstairs and packed things up for the day. I shared the elevator ride down with one of our GG executives, who had been very complimentary. A couple of men got on at a lower floor, and one of them looked at me for a second before saying, “Could’ve fooled me for a minute!” Lesson here: I don’t really “pass” all that well, especially at the end of a long day when my makeup is showing wear. As we all got off a the lobby, the executive waved me ahead of her, saying, “Ladies first!” We began the walk to the parking structure, my feet really hurting now from being in those heels all day. That was the only time I stumbled, overloaded and over-tired; the executive stopped to make sure I was OK before we proceeded on. Another lesson: Next time, bring along a pair of flats for the end of the day! (Not unlike what the executive herself does, she told me.) Somehow, I made it up the elevator and to my car, where I paused briefly to dig out my purse and transfer some items into it; that made me feel better to have it with me. As a final note, once I got home, I encountered our new next door neighbor, who had just gotten home herself. “You look great!” she told me. “Thank you,” I said to her, still in Amy-voice. And the first thing I did when I got inside...found my flats! Ahhhh! :)

The day was very positive, in my opinion, and very validating for my feminine self-image. And it was a lot of fun, besides! :D

- Amy

kimdl93
10-31-2013, 09:38 PM
What a day! My feet are aching in empathy!

Beverley Sims
10-31-2013, 09:59 PM
Amy, by now you would know how to field off unkind remarks anyway.
I think you did well and from my observation after presenting as a woman to co workers and acquaintances yes, they do get freaked a little.
I always show them some consideration by not occupying their space too much.
I would be curious if any rumors do start as I feel even the walking in heels by one of the girls is only an observation that would not be carried any further anyway.
I maintain if you do a good job, shoot them between the eyes with your "act" they remember a polished performance and nothing more.
It is advantageous to hold centre stage if you can.
Good work, well done. :)

Nikki A.
10-31-2013, 09:59 PM
I made the same mistake of not bringing flats the first time I dressed for Halloween. Since then I bring an extra pair of shoes. I'm lucky, my coworkers know I do ebay with an owner of a woman's second hand store. Little do they know most of what I wear is all mine.

Bree Wagner
10-31-2013, 10:01 PM
Congratulations on your big win Amy! I'm guessing a lot of the ability for folks to recognize you in the office setting has to do with the fact that there aren't many options for who you could be. If you're in a building that requires a badge to get into your mind has to go through a lot fewer options when picking out who you might be. Your luxury of using your own hair can certainly also play a part there.

We'll be waiting for a picture or two! :)

Amy Lynn3
10-31-2013, 10:07 PM
Well, I am living my life through you Amy. If I only had an opportunity like that. I am happy it went well for you, and the most important thing is.... you enjoyed it.

AmyGaleRT
10-31-2013, 10:55 PM
Here are a couple of pictures taken by our office manager in the break room during the contest. (Cropped to remove coworkers)

213697 213698

And I took this selfie before I left this morning:

- Amy

Amy R Lynn
10-31-2013, 11:05 PM
Wow, you are very brave! I'm not sure I could dress as Amy and go into my office. It sounds like you had a great time with it! Good for you Amy. You are giving us Amy's a great name!

BillieAnneJean
10-31-2013, 11:06 PM
Perhaps you would have passed better as the good witch in white. With a cute face like that you don't appear to me to be menacing. But maybe with a frown and that wand you would.
I am glad you had fun!
Did the code have a good "curse" on it?
Billie

AmyGaleRT
10-31-2013, 11:31 PM
I based my presentation on some publicity photos of Elizabeth Montgomery in Bewitched. She wore a similar hat, black dress, and cape in those pictures. And I doubt you could characterize her as "menacing." :D

- Amy

bridget thronton
11-01-2013, 12:42 AM
Nicely done Amy

Marcelle
11-01-2013, 04:00 AM
Hi Amy,

What a great story and you won first prize as well! I hope your feet have recovered.

Hugs

Isha

wanagione
11-01-2013, 05:18 AM
Wow Amy you looked great! I'm so glad you had a wonderful day!

S. Lisa Smith
11-01-2013, 06:47 AM
You look great!!!

michelleddg
11-01-2013, 08:22 AM
So much fun! So glad all that preparation paid off so beautifully! Hugs, Michelle

robindee36
11-01-2013, 08:35 AM
Very cute Amy. You can cast a spell on us any time ;)

Hugs, Robin

PretzelGirl
11-01-2013, 08:35 AM
Great story Amy! For all the comments around here about whether or not to dress up on Halloween, it is nice to see someone do it and especially nice that you nailed it. I agree that some of your being recognized can be from being in a secure building, from being seen in your cube, and word getting around.

Chari
11-01-2013, 09:16 AM
Great story, great costume! It appears you were comfortable, confident, and accepted by your co-workers too, and still got some work done. Were you ever out in the public eye as Amy before for the entire work day? Thanx for sharing your office Halloween adventure!

SherriePall
11-01-2013, 09:36 AM
Amy, congratulations on winning the contest. You look great and deserved the win. Glad you had a good day there at work, but I have one little question: weren't you hesitant on using the ladies' room at your workplace on Halloween?

Kandy Barr
11-01-2013, 10:01 AM
After reading about you're wonderful day my feet are hurting.....go figure!! Congratulations on the day and winning first place, and thank's for sharing with us Amy....you looked fantastic!!

Julie Denier
11-01-2013, 11:33 AM
Wow, what a day! So glad that you had such a wonderful experience. The acceptance from your officemates had to be so reassuring ;)

Persephone
11-01-2013, 01:21 PM
Wow! Lovely!

And great pics!

The thing with heels is that after they kill you for a day you're supposed to get right back in 'em and head off to work the next day ... and the day after that ... and ...

Gives you a whole new respect for the ladies who wear them.

Hugs,
Persephone.

andrea lace
11-01-2013, 06:29 PM
Hi Amy
Great to hear and see you having another positive day :) it has been a while since I have been on here but I am glad to see that it is all still going swimmingly for you.
I have been buying clothes but haven't had a chance to wear any of them but I am less stressed about it now and not it so much of a hurry than I used to be. I am thankful for what I do have and know that before long the the nest will be empty and the opportunities will be there when ever I do want to dress.
Stay cool, take care
Andrea XX

Jennifer Kelly
11-01-2013, 06:49 PM
Wow Amy. Sounds like lots of fun. I didn't dress at work because I'm a contractor and don't want to make waves. But last night was epic. I will post a thread later when I'm not on my phone. You were cracking me up talking about Amy voice because Jennifer sounds pretty similar to my male self. :) Glad you had such a great day.

Gigicd
11-01-2013, 07:28 PM
Absolutely wonderful, Amy!

Linda Leigh
11-01-2013, 08:39 PM
Amy, what a great experience for you. You look great and you owned it all day ! As far as winning for the best costume, congrats, but I believe you were already a winner when you arrived at work :)

Hugs
Linda

Sandy Clifton
11-01-2013, 10:44 PM
Well done! Thanks for sharing your story. Don't be surprised if you get calls for an encore! Earlier this week a co-worker of mine was disappointed to learn that Sandy wouldn't be making an in-the-office Halloween appearance this year.

AmyGaleRT
11-02-2013, 02:23 AM
I wasn't at the office Friday, on account of it being my birthday, so nobody said anything to me, and I haven't seen anything come through my work E-mail...except a reply from M., the coworker who first properly gendered me and learned my femme name. She had nothing but glowing things to say about my presentation, and perhaps an explanation for her open-mindedness; her son had crossdressed earlier this week, though, she admitted, not to the same degree. She also requested pictures she could share with her family; I passed along two, including the selfie I took at home before I left. Perhaps she's ready to take one more step, and learn that my presentation was not merely a characterization, but was and is part of me. (She may suspect already...) It would help accomplish another one of my purposes, namely, my belief that the more people actually know CDs, and see that they're just ordinary people who like to dress differently on some occasions, the less they would hate and fear them.

One thing I had pointed out to me today, at my meeting with the GIC's Program Director, in fact, was that I wasn't really portraying a witch, as such, I was more portraying a woman wearing a witch costume. This may be more likely to "out" me than if I had painted my face green and explicitly tried to emulate Margaret Hamilton's Wicked Witch of the West, say. But it's consistent with how actual GGs wearing costumes that day were portraying themselves.

Sherrie, with regard to using the ladies' room, I was trying to avoid having to do so, hence, my not wanting to drink so much that day. By the end of the day, though, I kind of had to. My ability to use the ladies' room is, of course, protected under Colorado's civil rights regulations, but, to minimize any possible disruption, I did not use the one on the main floor of the company, but went down one floor to use one accessed from public corridors on that floor. And since it was after 5:00 at the time, I figured it'd be pretty well deserted by then, which it was.

Jennifer, one of the things I'm blessed with is the ability to shift my voice to a higher pitch (but not a really squeaky falsetto) and softer intonation, which I refer to as "Amy-voice." I've had enough practice at it that I can automatically shift to Amy-voice when I'm dressed, and back to normal male voice when I shed my femme clothes. In fact, while being Amy, it would take a certain mental effort to switch back to my male voice! (It affects the rest of my speech, too. Amy is likely to say "Good heavens!" where my male self would probably say something involving the Seven Words You Can't Say On Television. Amy doesn't use profanity; that would be unladylike. :) )

Sandy, there's the rub: Is this kind of performance a "trick" that only works once? It might be best to "bow out" next year and let someone else take the prize, especially as a repeat win is not guaranteed, and the element of "surprise" is lost. But, if not...well, I might have my bridal outfit perfected by then... :D

- Amy