PDA

View Full Version : Cyber CDing

Marcelle
11-02-2013, 05:32 AM
Hi all,

I was reading an introduction post from a new gal here "Shadow Shift" and she mentioned that when she played online games, she always adopts a female character vice male. I thought to myself . . . When the option is given, I do that as well. In fact I remember way back when Dungeons and Dragons was played with dice and books (not game controllers and internet connections) when creating a character my stats were on the low side for a human male/fighter and my friends laughingly said you could always be a human female/fighter . . . so I thought "why not" and did. Believe me after she obtained the "gauntlet of orc strength" she kicked a@@. :heehee:

My question to any of you who dabble in the past time of online gaming or just gaming, if given the option do you exercise a bit of cyber CDing and present female or male?

Hugs

Isha

Lisa Gerrie
11-02-2013, 05:57 AM
Interesting post! I wonder if anybody has ever done a study in the real-world gaming community, on gender bending in that way. I'd like to known what percentage of gamers of both biological sexes that do it. In that context, I can imagine a lot of women wanting to assume the presumably-dominant male role in a game.

Added: I spent an absurd amount of time on Doom, but I gave up my joystick years ago. :D

Michaela42
11-02-2013, 06:31 AM
I sure do - in fact I believe that I enjoy a game much more when it gives you such an option.

Cynthia Anne
11-02-2013, 06:53 AM
Count me as female! I wouldn't have it any other way!

SarahSerene
11-02-2013, 06:58 AM
Fun thread - my character in Skyrim is female, and is a freakin' awesome archer (no inspiration drawn from Hunger Games by the way :straightface: ). One thing I find interesting is that if the game is really good, I sense a hint of an emotional attachment to the character, and the cyber-CDing angle adds just another dimension to that attachment.

EllenJo
11-02-2013, 07:40 AM
Guilty as charged. I always pick a feminine cyber character in video games. Never thought about how many others may do the same. I so remember Tomb Raider because I thought of my self as Laura Croft. My wife got me a computer poker game and my character is Killer Kate (old west theme).
Hugs
Ellen Jo

Allesandra Rhodes
11-02-2013, 07:47 AM
In the ten years since I entered the internet there has never been any male persona. Only female.

Violet-13
11-02-2013, 07:51 AM
I usually play a female in online games, and unless I'm playing a dragonborn in D&D I Play a female character

KC Samanatha
11-02-2013, 07:54 AM
When playing D&D I would role up female characters and would usually have rich history story of loves lost and hardship growing up. I do so miss some of that. My online gaming is 90 yo 95% female characters.
A friend cracked me up with "Well if your going to play something for hours you might as well look at something pretty". I do however tend towards getting as many outfit and clothing choices in the game as possible!

bridget thronton
11-02-2013, 09:03 AM
Yes, both in games and virtual worlds.

Pandys
11-02-2013, 09:06 AM
Most of the time i use a female character.

kimdl93
11-02-2013, 09:10 AM
I am a Luddite. I have confined my CDing to the physical realm and my imagination. Once I tried to get interested in second life, but after creating a female avatar and wondering about a bit, I lost interest.

~Joanne~
11-02-2013, 09:14 AM
I always tend to chose a female persona/character when I am given the choice when I am gaming :D I especially do if they have a character creation aspect to them. Always disappointed though that they seldom have any hosiery as a clothing option too lol

Danielle_cder
11-02-2013, 09:24 AM
yep i game as my female persona ;)

Karren H
11-02-2013, 09:35 AM
I don't play games.... online or otherwise.... I'd rather do reality crossdressing....

Elisa Lace
11-02-2013, 09:57 AM
Oooh! This is a funny subject indeed. I also used a female character whenever I could. I remember I spent like an hour customizing my "PGA Championship Golf" character and it was fun. I once played D&D with a female character which everyone loved to hit on... And then goes Baldur's Gate II, and Diablo I-II, and whichever game that let me play as a female. I loved Final Fantasy X-II for that reason, it was as girly as it gets! lol

This reminds me of an MMO parody on youtube in which suddenly the game master says "Now I will uncover your true selfs!" and suddenly everyone's male lol

bridget thronton
11-02-2013, 10:03 AM
Gaming is a 50 billion dollar a year industry and some of my students are creating some of that revenue so I like to play when I have time.

CarlaWestin
11-02-2013, 10:17 AM
Of the few online games I play, I'm always Carla. One favorite is golf, a game I play only virtually. I love watching my lovely avatar with her beautiful legs. I swear I get longer tee shots because of boobies! And when she misses a short putt, she does that cute little mad routine. Very entertaining. I keep telling myself to get into Second Life but, who has that much time.

Beverley Sims
11-02-2013, 10:01 PM
I always take the female option when the situation arises

Michelle789
11-02-2013, 10:29 PM
When I play group or online video games, I usually choose a female character. I've even done this with friends in college (in person multi-player games). I sometimes wonder what they were thinking or if they even noticed I always chose the female. I would probably choose a male character if playing against co-workers, just to be safe, but otherwise I choose female.

Omg, I always thought I was weird for doing so. It's so refreshing to see that I'm not alone.

Dianne S
11-02-2013, 10:41 PM
I guess I'm a luddite... I don't play group or online video games, despite working in IT... go figure.

Actually, I do play one group game called BZFlag and I picked "dawn" as my login one time just to see what would happen. I'm not a very good player and the other players were offering me advice as "dawn" whereas under my regular login, they'd just shoot at me. :) I guess chivalry is not completely dead?

ryenmatt
11-02-2013, 10:53 PM
When I saw the title cyber cding I thought it was going to be about people who post pics of them cding but never leave the house.

cg2002bolt
11-02-2013, 11:41 PM
I play as female characters whenever I can, just have for a long time enjoy it as well when I can create and specialize the character to my wants

Sandy Clifton
11-03-2013, 03:08 AM
Back in the heyday of arcade games, I always chose to play Rampage as Lizzie, a building-smashing lizard who reverts to human form at the end of the game; as it turns out, Lizzie's a gorgeous young woman. 8)

Sophie Yang
11-03-2013, 07:04 AM
Isha,

I have never done any cyber gaming. If there is something on-line of interest, Sophie does all the ordering and the wife does all the paying. Pretty sweet arrangement.

Marcelle
11-03-2013, 07:10 AM
Omg, I always thought I was weird for doing so. It's so refreshing to see that I'm not alone.

Hi Michelle,

I thought the same thing until I read that introduction post. I guess CDing can inhabit different parts of our lives.

Hugs

Isha

Launa
11-03-2013, 07:24 AM
I haven't played any games for years but would choose a female character for sure!

suzy1
11-03-2013, 07:40 AM
I debate religion/atheism online and some of the other mostly male debaters are not always so nice. But they always treat Suzy a bit softer as a woman but at the same time do not always take Suzy seriously. [She is just a woman]

That's men for you!:eek:

Violet-13
11-03-2013, 09:06 AM
okay any one notice that when your in trouble and need a hand you get more help if your a girl character?

Marcelle
11-03-2013, 09:10 AM
Hi Violet,

I have noticed that quite a lot. When I play Mass Effect online if I choose a female character, I always have a whole bunch of dudes rushing over to heal me. What is even funnier, if I choose a pink outfit (an option for character design) the amount of help increases even more than just a female character in drab black or grey.

Hugs

Isha

Violet-13
11-03-2013, 09:15 AM
Hi Violet,

I have noticed that quite a lot. When I play Mass Effect online if I choose a female character, I always have a whole bunch of dudes rushing over to heal me. What is even funnier, if I choose a pink outfit (an option for character design) the amount of help increases even more than just a female character in drab black or grey.

Hugs

Isha I play adventure quest worlds and my character is dressed as a fairy princess, dude's climb over each other to help me

Caitlin_85
11-03-2013, 05:02 PM
I always play as a female in any games. I really haven't played much in past few years...but it's funny that this subject was brought up because I almost forgot about it.