PDA

View Full Version : Carrying a purse...

MandyTS
12-31-2005, 09:43 AM
Do any of you girls carry a purse 24/7? I have considered it for along time and after almost loosing another cell phone from a pocket I am thinking about it. Many people in Europe carry "male" purses, can it work here?

Mandy

Maddie
12-31-2005, 10:39 AM
Mandy they make a nice MALE clutch holds all the necessaey stuff in it
Wallet.cell.loose change and bills

miss_sarah
12-31-2005, 11:06 AM
Yeah, "Man bags" are just now really becoming popular in the states (of course more acceptable in larger cities first, as with everything!) Shouldn't be too hard to find them really, like the "male pedicure" thread, man bags are part of the Metrosexual movement too :)

EDIT: Errr... that said, I don't carry one myself, but i'm giving it serious thought too. A quick check of my coat pockets at any random moment reveals one or two packs of cigs, wallet (can't stand to have it in my back jeans pocket!), cell phone and keys. Is it any wonder the lining in one of those coat pockets is coming undone? :(

Jamie001
12-31-2005, 11:24 AM
I have been carrying a purse for 14 years in male mode. Tumi Luggage makes several unisex bags. Find a Tumi retailer online and go see them. It is not a big deal.

Yeah, "Man bags" are just now really becoming popular in the states (of course more acceptable in larger cities first, as with everything!) Shouldn't be too hard to find them really, like the "male pedicure" thread, man bags are part of the Metrosexual movement too :)

EDIT: Errr... that said, I don't carry one myself, but i'm giving it serious thought too. A quick check of my coat pockets at any random moment reveals one or two packs of cigs, wallet (can't stand to have it in my back jeans pocket!), cell phone and keys. Is it any wonder the lining in one of those coat pockets is coming undone? :(

sherri
12-31-2005, 11:36 AM
Seinfeld tried carrying one in one of his episodes, to much abuse. Kramer tagged him with the moniker of "fancy boy". :p

Billijo49504
12-31-2005, 11:59 AM
I use a fanny pack all the time. Does that count?

Jamie001
12-31-2005, 12:53 PM
Seinfeld tried carrying one in one of his episodes, to much abuse. Kramer tagged him with the moniker of "fancy boy". :p

It is important to remember that it is just a stupid Hollywood TV Show with no basis in reality. I have carried my unisex purse for many years with no issues. And what does it matter if someone makes a comment? So what! It should not matter to you.

I use the Generation 4 Travel Tote.

http://www.tumi.com/womens/signature/category_search/organizer_travel_tote/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=44917

knelson
01-01-2006, 01:13 AM
I carry my handbag where ever I go. If I need to go into the store, I just remove the wallet and slide the purse under my briefcase in the car.

Jonien
01-01-2006, 04:54 AM
Carrying a hand bag to me is probably one of the hardest things for me to do so for me if I have no pockets then I use an old camera case that way it don't have to match and I feel comfortable but it still contains the normal girlie things like , spare tights lippy cards and cash Phone oh and that lenth of string

tgirlkari
01-01-2006, 10:29 AM
Hi Mandy
I live in a small farming comunity I carry a purse all the time but I do the hide thing sometimes too like when I go into an auto parts store or a sporting goods store those kind of guys(in my opinion only) typicaly are he-man types but then maybe not I do those kind of things and I'm not a he-man huh, see girlfriend you made me think! anyway I Carry a purse and I have it with me on my shoulder 90% of the time and yes it takes much courage and getting used to. try carring one a little at a time?

Jamie001
01-01-2006, 09:09 PM
Hi Mandy
I live in a small farming comunity I carry a purse all the time but I do the hide thing sometimes too like when I go into an auto parts store or a sporting goods store those kind of guys(in my opinion only) typicaly are he-man types but then maybe not I do those kind of things and I'm not a he-man huh, see girlfriend you made me think! anyway I Carry a purse and I have it with me on my shoulder 90% of the time and yes it takes much courage and getting used to. try carring one a little at a time?

That is how I started. After about a month I found that there is absolutely no reason not to carry a pruse especially a unisex one. There is no reason that you should ever hide your purse!! Why do you let those neandrothals intimdate you? I will even make a point when I pay for something that "I have the change here in my purse somewhere".

Girls, if you ever want to ability to be out of the closet, you need to take small steps while in DRAB and incorporate more feminine fashion like meterosexuals are doing. It is the only way to slowly advance the cause.

KathrynW
01-01-2006, 09:53 PM
Speaking of which...
Remember the episode when Kramer came up with the male bra called the "BRO" ? ;)

windycissy
01-02-2006, 12:33 AM
Speaking of which...
Remember the episode when Kramer came up with the male bra called the "BRO" ? ;)

It was either that or the "manzier"....

When I'm dressed, carrying a purse is second nature to me. Yet when I'm in drag, if my SO ever asks me to hold her purse for a moment, I stand there awkwardly like I'm holding something radioactive...

Windy

suanne
01-02-2006, 08:51 AM
I carry a man bag. Really it's a shooting bag with alot of pockets. I work alot of overtime and am away from home 60 to 70 hours a week. Most of the time it looks like a medical bag.:D But I don't like carrying things in my pockets (expect a knife) and that bag is with me 24/7. It isn't a purse. I hope this isn't off topic. Ok, here's one Windycissy just reminded me of. My wife was looking for a black skirt. She wanted me to go with her. Ok I went. She found one and went to try it on. She asked me to hold her purse. I did, it must weigh 20 lbs. I was still looking for another black skirt should she not like the one she was trying on. Well.....I slung her purse over my forearm and was going thru this rack of skirts when out of the corner of my eye I see this old dude setting in a chair outside the dressing room waiting for his wife and he is giving me this nasty look. Oops, I moved away from there and tried my best to hang on to that purse like it wasn't mine. He still stared at me every now and then. If I had it all to do over again I would have blew him a kiss, and adjusted my hair.:D I shouldn't have cared but he just caught me off guard.

My boy carried his Hot Wheels cars in one of my wifes pruses when he was little. I bought him a Hot Wheels carrying case. I was afraid some of his buddy's might get the wrong idea. Like father, like son. NOT! (well at least I hope not)

Tiffy
01-02-2006, 09:48 AM
I carry a bag all the time. It is really a pretty high end camera bag that looks like a back pack. But, much smaller. It is universal as it is black and dark blue. It was my mothers idea. Turned out well and I love it and have my digital camera everywhere I go now.

Kisses, April Marie

Billie Renee
01-02-2006, 11:36 AM
I carry a purse every day as well as my make-up bag,wouldn't be caught dead without my make-up. But no one has said anything about my purse even at work. It has become a main part of me for such a long time as well as the make-up bag of course I did get teased when I was in school for carrying a purse and make-up bag but the girls at school were always wanting to borrow my mak-up.

Sam-antha
01-02-2006, 11:51 AM
Me I have carried a small purse for years now. Not that I carry much anyhow, a limited amount of small change for bus etc, plastic money (one card), travel pass and that is it. Phone clips onto me. What else is there, apart from the house key ?
By the bye, where do you, in the states, wear your bum bags, rear, side or front ?

Kayla Smith
01-02-2006, 11:10 PM
I have a purse that I take with me but most of the time, where I live is a very conservitive town so I don't take it in to any stores, it is usualy left in the car but I do find my purse to be quite useful for holding all of the things that I take with me (lipgloss/lipstick, money/debit card, ID, sunglasses,comb,mints)

MandyTS
01-03-2006, 02:20 AM
Well everyone yesterday (the first) was the first day using a purse full time. I ended up with a fossle mini-organizer type purse it has three pockets, in one are my keys and change, mainly for easy access in the parking lot. The center holds my PSP (Playstation portable) and my ipod plus some no coloring lip gloss and a mac pressed powder compact. In the inside pocket is a stripped wallet (basically a wallet with cash, ID and bank card) and all the CC's etc are inside the organizer. It is quite full and weighs about 2 pounds, which is a little heavy. It has a long strap so it is easy to carry.

No one has said a word about the "purse" yet. If anyone asks I am going to say the following :

Well it is more convient than a wallet and look, I can carry my toys with me.

There are enough clues to myself anyway!

Mandy

Jamie001
01-03-2006, 11:49 AM
Girls,

There is no reason that you cannot carry a purse anyplace that you want to carry it! I travel nationwide and carry mine everywhere including redneckville. In Europe men carry purses. It is not of anyone's dang business! Why should you care what anyone thinks? It is your life, why do you give everyone but yourself power over yourself? Just start carrying your purse anywhere that you want to carry it. As Nike says "Just Do It!", and more importantly than anything DO IT WITH PRIDE. If you go around looking guilty you will face ridicule regardless of what you are doing. The key is CONIFDENCE!

You find that 99 percent of the fear is unjustified in that it is just a demon that you have created in your own mind.

Girls, if you ever want the ability for CDs to be out of the closet, you have to take small steps in male mode. It is the only way to accomplish this goal. Do you agree?:)

Well everyone yesterday (the first) was the first day using a purse full time. I ended up with a fossle mini-organizer type purse it has three pockets, in one are my keys and change, mainly for easy access in the parking lot. The center holds my PSP (Playstation portable) and my ipod plus some no coloring lip gloss and a mac pressed powder compact. In the inside pocket is a stripped wallet (basically a wallet with cash, ID and bank card) and all the CC's etc are inside the organizer. It is quite full and weighs about 2 pounds, which is a little heavy. It has a long strap so it is easy to carry.

No one has said a word about the "purse" yet. If anyone asks I am going to say the following :

Well it is more convient than a wallet and look, I can carry my toys with me.

There are enough clues to myself anyway!

Mandy

DonnaT
01-03-2006, 12:46 PM
My wife took me to JC Penney and we found a handbag to go with one of my outfits. While we continued to shop I ended up carrying it around the entire store. I got no hard looks, no snickers, nothing. It was cool.

I am all the time holding her purse when she goes to try something on. I'll walk around the store looking at the clothes and when she comes out she'll ask, "are you having fun?"

JoAnnDallas
01-03-2006, 12:51 PM
I carry a purse when I'm out dressed and when I am in drab, I carry a ladies billfold. I was in Meryin's the otherday and found the nicest ladies billfold. It is also a organizer and comes with a really nice calculator. Funny thing was another customer was also looking at them too and she asked me what my wifes favorite color was. I answered I was getting it for myself. She then looked at me for a moment. Then looked at the billfolds and suggested the one in RED.

Sam-antha
01-03-2006, 01:14 PM
I use a purse/handbag when out.
A purse when in drab. Some of the responses are not clear in terms of the persona using the purse, I wish they were.
The contents list in my male purse above have just been checked and the list is not correct. The house key does not always live in it. There is the spare under the "door-mat".
there is also another bit of Plastic that is the mainstay of this posting. It is not a Credit Card, it is an Organ donor Card. Could you consider carrying one ? Please. Just in case you could save somebody's body for a while after you do not need yours.

Lotte L
01-03-2006, 01:44 PM
Maybe I do'nt understand but why a male purse if you'r cd. Those womenpurses is the cream on the cake, I love them. Yers ago the malepurseswere hot in Europe but they were named gaypurses. I often buy lady things for Anna and as easy I buy a lady purse for Lotte.

Hugs,
Lotte L

Jamie001
01-03-2006, 02:00 PM
The Tumi purse that I use is unisex. I like the design because it has a compartment for my calculator, cell phone, pens, business cards, and other items that I need during my everyday life. It is very practical and it also looks good. After seeing my purse, one of the women at work purchased one for herself.

Maybe I do'nt understand but why a male purse if you'r cd. Those womenpurses is the cream on the cake, I love them. Yers ago the malepurseswere hot in Europe but they were named gaypurses. I often buy lady things for Anna and as easy I buy a lady purse for Lotte.

Hugs,
Lotte L

Wendy me
01-03-2006, 02:58 PM
i have a small bag that i carry all the time with me maybe not a purse but it works... i just need tomanny things when i go out to put them in my pockets ...

MarieTS
01-03-2006, 07:54 PM
By all means, Mandy. I always carry a purse. No outfit -- from jeans to formal wear -- is complete without one. They are a very practical accessory which adds so much to an outfit. And like snowflakes, no two are the same; so you've got to mall hunt in order assemble the perfect purse collection for your wardrobe. That in and of itself can be fun. Enjoy!

Sam-antha
01-08-2006, 11:02 AM
Purse is as was said above, the cream on the cake.. when dressed.
otherwise, small purse/baggy.

Kaye_martin
01-08-2006, 11:16 AM
I carry one all the time, have done for years.... I mean ... where else does one put one's stuff? I'm currently using a 'Trunk & Co' bag that I bought in Moscow. Nobody is giving me a second glance when I sling the bag over my shoulder, or use it in 'clutch' mode for that matter.

kaye_martin

KELLYANN
01-08-2006, 05:55 PM
old habit. YOU WILL get used to it. you will only find it's not there. IT'S IN YOU'RE PURSE DEAR!!:bs:

Ms. Donna
01-08-2006, 06:14 PM
Let's see...
Wallet Blackberry Pager Cell Phone IPod Headphones Keys Train Schedule MAC Blot powder Laura Mercier Lip Balm
It all has to go somewhere! :D

I've been carrying purses for several years now. No mistaking them for a camera bags or a 'man purse' though - they're definitely women's purses. I have many I rotate through and carry them all the time: work, shopping, wherever. I will get the odd look now and then, especially when I wind up standing next to a woman who, by chance, is carrying the exact same bag! ;)

Love & Stuff,
Donna

Wendi {LI NY}
01-08-2006, 06:15 PM
I love a purse to carry .Why? because I can carry more stuff ,than pockets ..
A good friend of my that transition said one day ,you know wendi what i miss the most about not being a man ? I said no what ?? NO POCKETS in chothes !
Which I said ! Girl you need BIGGER POCKETBOOKS<hon ... smile

Lindahexi
01-08-2006, 06:27 PM
Mandy,

I always carry a purse, It's infinitely preferable to losing things from pockets, or wearing holes in the pockets of pants jackets etc.Also everything is in the one place, I got fed up with looking through different pockets looking for the item I wanted.

MandyTS
01-08-2006, 06:31 PM
As I have said in the past... there are things that I would miss not being a "man" * Assuming I was ever a man, and things I will not. What would I miss: peeing standing up, less slopyness. What would I enjoy: LIFE!

Mandy