PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Clothing

Shannon_
11-04-2013, 08:34 PM
I love vintage clothing from the 1940s and 1950s. This last summer I made a skirt out of a vintage lace table cloth and it turned out really nice, considering it was my first attempt at sewing. Does anyone else like vintage clothing?

Jessica giovanna
11-04-2013, 08:48 PM
I do! That is a style I would love to bring back! How's Seattle? Plan on moving to Portland soon!i think it's so nice that you can sew your own...
Ms g

NathalieX66
11-04-2013, 08:50 PM
Love it!
40's Swing/50's Rockabilly looks.

Martha G
11-04-2013, 08:53 PM
I love vintage clothing from the 1940s and 1950s. This last summer I made a skirt out of a vintage lace table cloth and it turned out really nice, considering it was my first attempt at sewing. Does anyone else like vintage clothing?

My vintage clothing usually deals with costumes and comes from the 1860 - 1880 period.

I have a dress from like the 1880's that I do two costume characters . It is black in color with sheen cloth and is decorated with lace.

Also I have a red top and skirt that I use as a Southern belle lady from the 1860's. This also is very decorative. with lace.

Both are supported by a 115" hooped petticoat.

Since I now have edema and need wear comfortable shoes, these types of costumes are best for me. I can wear comfortable shoes and the hoop covers it all!

Both costumes are worn with lacy pantalettes.

I think I have used my picture ability on this part for this week. I will try to put pictures on the Pictures and Video gallery next week.

You can check the P & V site am I have put a picture of me as a midieviel Duchess.

Fortuneta
11-04-2013, 08:55 PM
Ohhh yes...but expensive. Those were the days of well planned clothing and jewelry to match. Would love to know how to sew to follow in your footsteps. Nice job!

BLUE ORCHID
11-04-2013, 09:07 PM
Hi Shannon, I remember Growing up in the 50s' and the 60s' when the ladies always dressed nicely.

Shannon_
11-04-2013, 09:35 PM
I do! That is a style I would love to bring back! How's Seattle? Plan on moving to Portland soon!i think it's so nice that you can sew your own...
Ms g Seattle is wonderful! I love living here. Portland is a nice city too...I'm sure you will like it there.

My vintage clothing usually deals with costumes and comes from the 1860 - 1880 period.

I have a dress from like the 1880's that I do two costume characters . It is black in color with sheen cloth and is decorated with lace.

Also I have a red top and skirt that I use as a Southern belle lady from the 1860's. This also is very decorative. with lace.

Both are supported by a 115" hooped petticoat.

Since I now have edema and need wear comfortable shoes, these types of costumes are best for me. I can wear comfortable shoes and the hoop covers it all!

Both costumes are worn with lacy pantalettes.

I think I have used my picture ability on this part for this week. I will try to put pictures on the Pictures and Video gallery next week.

You can check the P & V site am I have put a picture of me as a midieviel Duchess. What is the P & V site?

Ohhh yes...but expensive. Those were the days of well planned clothing and jewelry to match. Would love to know how to sew to follow in your footsteps. Nice job! Thank you. My first skirt turned out pretty good...a little too sheer to wear in public. The next one I make will be more suited for wearing in public.

Hi Shannon, I remember Growing up in the 50s' and the 60s' when the ladies always dressed nicely. I wish men and women would go back to dressing nicely like they did back then...the women wore long dresses and the men wore ties. A little different style compared to what people wear today.

Love it!
40's Swing/50's Rockabilly looks. I love poodle skirts from the 1950s!

Martha G
11-04-2013, 09:55 PM
What is the P & V site?

Picture and Video section on here.

ShriekCassandra
11-04-2013, 10:09 PM
The 1920's is my favourite era in terms of ladies fashion. I also love the look of the dresses from the late victorian/edwardian era though I can't imagine them being very comfortable or practical to actually wear. The hats were uttetrly ravishing however and I'd wear them anyday.

natalie edwards
11-04-2013, 10:24 PM
I like the rockabilly/ pinup style. Don't own any...yet.

Beverley Sims
11-04-2013, 11:13 PM
I am onto 60s and square dancing costumes.
Luv them taffeta slips. :)

thechic
11-05-2013, 02:00 AM
I love clothing from the 1920s to 1940s.i collect sewing patterns of that period. here in march every year we have a art deco week ,so me and the family go out and ride the trains and go up town in art deco style . Just love it.

lisa_cd
11-05-2013, 02:56 AM
I LOVE vintage clothing!

Janice An
11-05-2013, 04:06 AM
Vintage clothing is classy and has real style.
I'm with Beverley Sims on the square dance clothes. I happen to be wearing that style skirt and top right now.

PretzelGirl
11-05-2013, 07:04 AM
I have some rockabilly/pin-up dresses I bought local. It is a great and fun look. The store here is wonderful and they make everything fun. The tougher part is developing the hair and make-up look. It is something I am getting better at, but like all things practice...practice....practice.

Roberta Marie
11-05-2013, 10:28 AM
I can't say that I'm into vintage clothing, but there are some "vintage" styles which are classic and never go out of style. A couple of years ago I got tired of buying clothes that fit my male shaped body so poorly, so I broke out a sewing machine that my Mom had given me years ago, and learned to sew. A couple of years ago I added a serger to our crafting room, and last year got a new digitally controlled sewing machine. While I've made a few dresses and skirts that include these classic styles, believe it or not, I have the most fun making Christmas presents for our grandkids. The year before last I made them all fleece scarfs with incorperated mittens. Last year they each got a personally designed winter hat.

When friends from my non-crossdressing world ask about my interest in sewing (this past spring I made a formal dress and jacket for my wife to wear at our son's wedding, which she was sure to tell everyone was personally designed and made by her husband), I tell them that I have my downstairs powertools which include a table saw, jointer, and radial arm saw, and I have my upstairs powertools, which include 2 sewing machines and a serger.

Princess Chantal
11-05-2013, 10:58 AM
They are too out-dated, gg's don't wear dresses anymore, can't be 100% passable in out of fashioned styles and there are no fun places to wear them

:heehee:

robindee36
11-05-2013, 11:00 AM
In the category of vintage intimates, I love the Betty Page look. There is an online store, alexis4u, that has way too many lovely remakes of this vintage. They also have a lingerie model who does a great job reprising the Betty page look.

Hugs, Robin

Dawn P
11-05-2013, 01:12 PM
I love vintage nighties. I have many

Stephanie47
11-05-2013, 01:46 PM
I love vintage full slips. I have over four hundred slips in a rainbow of colors. I love the lace at the bodice and hems. I wish women would demand or wear slips. I loved going to retail stores as late as the 1980's to buy slips sold for holidays and seasons. I love the reds and pinks at Valentine's Day. Reds for Christmas! Pastels (yellows, light greens, pinks, light blues) for spring. Darker colors (dark greens, browns, earth tones, navy) for fall. Now? If you're lucky you may find Vanity or Vassarette brands in white, black and beige. Sigh! But, I love eBay!

Shannon_
11-05-2013, 07:43 PM
In the category of vintage intimates, I love the Betty Page look. There is an online store, alexis4u, that has way too many lovely remakes of this vintage. They also have a lingerie model who does a great job reprising the Betty page look.

Hugs, Robin She was absolutely gorgeous! I love everything about her...

Launa
11-05-2013, 08:30 PM
I like vintage clothing but it doesn't look good on me so I don't wear it.

Debglam
11-05-2013, 08:32 PM
Yes! My daughter and I shop the vintage shops in San Francisco together!

docrobbysherry
11-05-2013, 11:15 PM
I recently bought a closet full of vintage clothing at a Hollywood studio auction.

I fear you'll see a lot of Sherry in 30's to 70's outfits this winter!

ArleneRaquel
11-05-2013, 11:20 PM
Sherry,
Thats fine with me. I just love seeing Sherry. :battingeyelashes: Now if you would only wear cat's eye frames.:)

Phylis Nicole Schuyler
11-07-2013, 10:57 PM
I recently bought a closet full of vintage clothing at a Hollywood studio auction.

I fear you'll see a lot of Sherry in 30's to 70's outfits this winter!

I look forward to seeing you in your new clothes.

Connief
11-13-2013, 09:47 PM
MMmmm I love vintage! I have several pieces of vintage lingerie, peignoir sets and dresses.

Shannon_
11-18-2013, 04:26 PM
I finally had some free time to go shopping on Saturday and I found this really cute skirt, but it really wasn't a color that would look good on me. I bought it anyway and I plan to make one exactly like it out of some fabric that I already have. Not sure how it will turn out...anyways, it will be a fun project for me.

Abbey11
11-18-2013, 04:31 PM
I love vintage dresses, skirt, lingerie ... All lovely

Valerie1973
11-18-2013, 10:00 PM
1950's poofy dresses seem interesting. I'd like to find some 1970's disco dresses. That's what got me started. My moms stuff in that time.

kimberlybates
11-19-2013, 03:57 PM
I love the vintage clothing and lingerie. I have a very nice collection of both. I love the feel of a nice sliky slip or smooth silk stockings and the tug of garters at the stocking tops

Cynthia99
11-19-2013, 05:40 PM
I love to wear late 70's and 80's styles! I have several cocktail dresses, sundresses, and just things I would like to have worn to work then. For some reason, many of my dresses have peplums - not sure if that was just a common style then or just the one I like.

daviolin
11-19-2013, 06:42 PM
I simply adore vintage clothing. The best places to find it at is Antique stores or estate sales. I have found some pretty neat stuff for cheap cheap cheap. Daviolin

Desirae
11-19-2013, 10:16 PM
For me, its always been the 1970s and 1980s fashions. There's just something about the glam of the era. I don't know whether it has anything to do with when I started dressing (70s) or not. Probably does. A lot of the dresses then were slinky and form-fitting and very "Dynasty" like. The slips from the 70s were more slippery than most found today, although there are still some made today that are very much like the ones from the 70s. The wrap dress, flattering on all body types, was pioneered in the 60s, I believe, and was hugely popular during the 1970s, and still is today. The vintage clothes from that era might not be the best thing to venture out into the real world today, unless for a Halloween party or costume party, but they're still the ones I'm most drawn to and probably always will be.