PDA

View Full Version : Melbourne Cup day

Stephy
11-05-2013, 03:10 AM
Today was the Melbourne Cup. The city (Sydney) was full of ladies dressed to the nines - dresses, high heels, hats and fascinators. I felt so envious of them being so free to express themselves through their clothing styles. It made me feel a bit down. Anyone else feel like that when there is such an event and they can't take part in the way they would like to?

I find it amazing that a 5 minute horse race creates such a big event, but I guess it's just a good excuse to party. It reminded me of when I was a child and I went to a fancy dress party with my female cousin as Mr and Mrs Durban July going to the races - I was the Mrs and she was the Mr. That was probably the first time I felt the excitement of dressing en femme, wearing makeup, carrying a purse. I remember some people saying after a while that they didn't realise I was a boy. I remember thinking it would be great if I could have switched places with my cousin permanently.

Cynthia Anne
11-05-2013, 04:58 AM
Sounds like a lot of fun for those who went! Next time get that dress on and join them! I guess that's what you call wishful thinking!

Katie Louise
11-05-2013, 05:31 AM
I was the same here in Townsville. All the pretty women dressed to the nines. Perfect hair and make up and fascinators in their hair. So very jealous.

Michele Tara
11-05-2013, 06:05 AM
totally empathise x

Keely
11-05-2013, 06:06 AM
Sounds like the Kentucky Derby here in the US.
Fascinators???

Michele Tara
11-05-2013, 06:46 AM
Sounds like the Kentucky Derby here in the US.
Fascinators???

little hats that perch on the head, usually extremely ornate and extremely impractical

Beverley Sims
11-05-2013, 07:50 AM
Definitely Royal Ascot and Kentucky Derby rolled up into one.

BLUE ORCHID
11-05-2013, 08:03 AM
H Stephy, That's the way it is with the Preakness race here , take mental notes for your next dressing session.

Rachelakld
11-12-2013, 02:50 AM
Would love to have attended the cup dressed up, and while my heart never left Australia, my body is stuck on the wrong side of the ditch.