PDA

View Full Version : No heels for awhile

Michelle55
11-05-2013, 01:40 PM
No heels since it's difficult to walk in heels and use crutches at the same time.

I broke my right Tib-Fib (lower leg) 10 days ago. I got a rod in the Tibia so I was weight bearing 10 hours after surgery.

I'm getting around fine with the crutches, but it'll be a few weeks yet before I'm able to walk without some type of aid.

So for now my focus is on getting my bones to regrow and keep muscle tone and strength in my right leg. It's amazing how much it wears you out.

Michelle

vallerie lacy
11-05-2013, 02:10 PM
Sorry to hear of your accident. Bad enough to break your leg, but to not be able to wear heels is a hell of price to pay. Hope you heal soon.

Cynthia Anne
11-05-2013, 02:19 PM
OUCH! I feel for you! It's good that you will be able to return to heels, unlike myself! For me it's no heels no more! Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Karren H
11-05-2013, 02:42 PM
You should take a pair of heels with you when you go to rehabilitation!

carhill2mn
11-05-2013, 05:49 PM
I know exactly how you feel! I broke my femur and had to have a hip replacement. It was many weeks before I could wear heels again (bummer). Good luck to you.

Brenda456
11-05-2013, 07:15 PM
Ouch! The good news is that you will recover. Umm, you weren't wearing heels when you broke it, I hope. . .

Beverley Sims
11-05-2013, 07:20 PM
Michelle,
You will just have to be a lumberjack for a little while.
Did you get a feminine cast?:)

rocketscientist
11-05-2013, 08:54 PM
Try this Michelle. I broke my foot a few years ago and found out how difficult it can be to get around with only crutches. This device saved my life. Maybe it could help you. I bought mine on Ebay for about half price. You can find out all about it here.http://iwalk-free.com/

MissTee
11-05-2013, 09:22 PM
Well, technically speaking, you can stiil "wear" heels. You just can't walk in them :eek: :D

Sorry. Couldn't resist, sweetie. Get well soon.

Michelle55
11-07-2013, 05:02 PM
Thanks all.

Karren: You should take a pair of heels with you when you go to rehabilitation!
The amazing thing is I passed all the PT (Physical Therapy) tasks at my first session 10 hours after surgery. I have a rod in the Tibia so I could put full weight of it even if it did hurt, and went up and down the PT stairs. I can walk now without crutches if I need to, but it will be a few more days before no pain doing so.

Brenda: Umm, you weren't wearing heels when you broke it, I hope. . .
No, but I was in full Lumberjack mode complete with chain saw chaps.

Beverly: Did you get a feminine cast?
No cast at all. Just a 15 inch titanium rod and a couple of screws. I guess I did have a 20 foot ace bandage wrapped around the gauze over the stitches and staples for 4 days.

Rocket Scientist: Walk free device
My wife and I talked about getting that for her daughter last summer when she broke her ankle. I don't need it as I was weight bearing the day of surgery and I have an incision from the middle part of my knee and down about 2 inches so the Ortho doc could drive the rod down my Tibia.

The recovery from this is amazing. I had my 10 day followup visit with the Ortho doc on Wednesday. The stitches and staples came out and today most of the tightness in the leg is gone and I can flex it to almost normal range today.

I still need to elevate my leg to minimize swelling after being out for 10 hours on wednesday and 6 hours today. Part of that is response to the use following the injury and part is I am NOT to take anything for inflamation. The inflamation keys your body to bring all resources to heal the bone.

Michelle

Lexi Moralas
11-07-2013, 07:41 PM
Hope you are better soon

mikiSJ
11-07-2013, 08:16 PM
I broke my tib/fib racing in 1971 and I wish they had put a rod or plate in. My tibia is offset by nearly a quarter in length and in-line, I can wear heels, no problem, but I am really upset with how the leg looks so I need to wear hose/tights/jeans.

The only good thing that happened from breaking my leg is after I got out of the long cast I started to play golf daily. Imagine all of the bad skills I had to unlearn later on.

A word of advice, never climb or descend stairs with both crutches. The crutches create a fulcrum and over you go - if you are lucky, you'll only bruise. Good luck with your healing.