PDA

View Full Version : Have you noticed the changes in the way you shop over the years?

lingerieLiz
11-05-2013, 10:08 PM
Was looking at old pictures of some main streets in the 50s to 70s. One had a picture of Lerner's. It brought back memories of what it was like to shop back then for women's clothes. Yes there were department stores, I worked for one, but a lot of shops were small stores. Often managed by the owner and staffed by women who worked there for a long time.

I'm sure that when I went in and said it was for my mother/sister/aunt they knew it was for me. Often after a few visits they would gently guide me to outfits that would look better than what I might have picked. This was when dressing in public was illegal. Eventually it became an open secret with advice on how to wear the latest fashions and what might look best on a girl "like me". With encouragement from my landlady I eventually ventured out as a girl, originally as a joke. I found it easy to pass. I even started wearing the dresses I had purchased to some of the shops and trying on things. I had one shop which sold lingerie where I became one of their better customers start making suggestions. A couple of the SAs would say you know you purchased this have you seen this. I was a sucker for matching sets. Eventually it became look what just came in. Isn't this very feminine and don't you like the lace. One time the SA skipped everything and said this slip just came in last week. She said, I bought one and can tell you it feels the best of any slip I've worn. I've saved one for you. Another SA at a different store said everyone should enjoy wearing lingerie.

As the dress shops faded and department store chains took over SAs became cashiers and aren't able to build relationships with customers as they used to. But, with several of the same stores in many cities you can get the same thing in many of them.
Sure there are a few that know me and know I wear women's clothes, but it is not the same as it used to be. I've tried some of the upscale shops only to find they cater to the 0 and 2 set not the 8s or 10s besides I'm not into paying $300 or more for $50 cotton tees. Yes I know there are a few free standing stores today that have good service.

I find when out shopping today with 3 or 4 women we cruise through a couple department stores taking 3 or 4 hours in total. We all have different things we like or need. They don't tend to worry about service as they sort through the racks. An SA will appear and ask if they can help meaning let me put your selections over here so you can be my customer. It isn't the SA's not wanting to help but the need to rack up sales to make a living. The fun part comes when everyone gets together to discuss purchases over cocktails at the end of the day. When shopping by myself I tend to terry longer in departments I like which is very natural.

DeeArel
11-05-2013, 11:33 PM
I have noticed that I have changed a lot in how I shop over the years.

I have finally learned what I like and have become more selective. As a consequence, I can afford to pay a higher price as I am not throwing away my money. However, I still prefer a bargain as to full price.

I do miss the small business owner stores. However, chains like White House Black Market, Dressbarn, Ann Taylor, Jones NY, and Chicos carry styles that I used to find in the local stores and have consistently given that personal service. All of them eventually put their items on sale for very low prices if I am patient.

Beverley Sims
11-06-2013, 06:19 AM
Dressed in drab, I will stand and look at dresses, skirts and bras.
Then I realise what I am doing, make a quick selection and move on.

linda allen
11-06-2013, 07:41 AM
I shop in stores with my wife. That hasn't changed. What has changed is that I now have a sense of what will look OK on me and what will not. Many things look good on the hanger but not on me.

Karen kc
11-06-2013, 07:43 AM
Yes, I"ve noticed big changes in the way I shop. Years ago it was in, grab this, grab that, grab the other and out the door. Now ,wether its dresses or tools or food, I pick it up, look at all angles, that includes dresses,etc, then decide if I need it or not,then out the door! Maybe a little more patience?

Jodi
11-06-2013, 03:56 PM
Lerners is now New York & co. The change came about in late 2002. When I started working for them, it was Lerners. My first couple of paychecks said Lerners on them.

Jodi

MindeeGurl
11-06-2013, 10:20 PM
I've only been shopping for a few years, and i'm still nervous as heck.

verytheresa
11-07-2013, 02:06 AM
I now actually try things on in the store first. This Is everything including shoes. In the past I would just pay for it take it home and try it on Then bring it back if it didn't fit.

I usually just tell them the stuff is for me. I try on shoes in the store and walk around in them.