PDA

View Full Version : Gifting: Who's Higher Maintenance? U or Ur S.O.?

LelaK
11-06-2013, 12:02 AM
We like to look and feel like girls, but do we like to act much like them? I prefer to act "natural" myself, neither feminine nor masculine.

Do you like to be gifted like women do? Do you know what women like? I read that they like to get small, personal gifts about every week, that show that you put a lot of thought into it and get her something she really likes.

I consider that kind of high maintenance, because it would require that I put a lot of time into getting her those annoying thoughtful gifts every week. I say it "would", because I've hardly ever had a girlfriend, even though I've long wanted one, kind of.

Men supposedly like big, expensive gifts, but not very often, maybe once a year or less. They don't care about thoughtfulness much, as long as it's something they'd like to have.

Something like 80% of men and women are said to be typical of their own gender like that, while the rest are more typical of the opposite sex. It's like how some guys like women's work and some gals like "manly" work. I like both kinds of work (including flower gardening, gardening, art, sewing etc).

So, how much are you like women, liking to get frequent small personal gifts? And are you high maintenance like women who spend their spouses' money on clothes, furniture, pretty things for the house and other things that women spend money on? Or are you low maintenance?

Definition
I'm describing the second definition of high-maintenance in the Urban Dictionary, which I just now looked up. The definition is:

A person who has expensive taste (re. clothing, restaurants, etc.).
This person is never comfortable because he/she is constantly concerned about his/her appearance.
This person feels they are better than most people and usually judge others based on outward appearances. Well, at least what I'm talking about is closer to that definition, than to the first definition.

Do you get little gifts for your S.O. each week or so? Women also like the gifts to be surprises. Do you surprise her? Does such high-maintenance annoy you, like it tends to annoy me a little?

sometimes_miss
11-06-2013, 05:09 AM
I've never had anyone buy any gifts for me on a regular basis. So I'm not sure what it's like to be in that position. Usually, I was just thrilled that I had a girlfriend at all, that was enough to keep me happy.

Bethany38
11-06-2013, 05:26 AM
I married a low maintenance woman, so she is much easier to buy for. I am definately higher maintenance.

Maria in heels
11-06-2013, 05:43 AM
I would have to admit that I don't ask for much, but I do take care of my wife and try to even just do little things for her. She does call me her wife, and I do perform my duties all the time, but I never get the little gifts that I want <sigh> I laughed at this post, because this past weekend while we were driving, I said to her "don't I make a great wife...everything is done" and she said yes, I am more of the wife in our relationship than she is...

so where's my little gifts? Oh well, I guess that I will just buy them for myself ha!

Sophie Yang
11-06-2013, 05:58 AM
Lela,

I sure would like to be gifted/talented at something artistic/creative. I am not so sure about being on the receiving end of a stream of gifts especially if there is no means to reciprocate. It seems that eventually sets up an awkward relationship for the receiver which the giver may not even realize.

I am low maintenance and my wife is even lower maintenance. She is always taking care of others first. The second definition seems to describe an insecure person.

I think what everyone likes is a little kindness and thoughtfulness sent their way. It could as simple as a smile or a hello to a stranger. These are my little gifts. This I try and do everyday. It is small things that matter in relationships, not taking the other person for granted, and appreciating them for who they are as a unique person. This is high maintenance, but oh so worth it.

Beverley Sims
11-06-2013, 06:06 AM
If you are going to worry about high and low maintenance, start saving now.
If you love her no maintenance is too high until the divorce.

natalie edwards
11-06-2013, 06:06 AM
My wife enjoys little surprise gifts. Things like a candy bar left in her purse or a favorite muffin/donut left in her lunch bag. Doesn't have to be expensive things, just thoughtful things. A little "I love you" pick me up during a hectic workday that calms her and takes her to a special place, however briefly that may be.