PDA

View Full Version : Continuing toward happiness

BOBBI G.
11-06-2013, 05:12 AM
Back on August 16 I started a thread about VA acceptance and my path toward happiness. This is a continuation. This may be a little long and I apologize in advance. I"m just so excited.

Had my initial visit with my prime VA Dr. and did blood work that day. After a misdirected appointment (the head crusher had no training in the field of trans gender) she found one that specializes, and I have now had three appointments. She's good, last visit said why are we waiting to get you started and sent her recommendation to my prime for a trip to an endocrinologist. I was told I had to go to the Miami VA for this.

Left here at 7:15 AM to make the 10:00 appointment. Plenty of time to make the 65 mile drive. Boy was I wrong. Half an hour to go 5 miles. I called the VA and told them to cancel the appointment and the lady on the phone said she could help me. She let the edno department know of my gridlock on I-95 dilemma, and then stayed on the phone and directed me off of 95 to city streets, and directed me all the way to the front gates. Her assistance totally blew my mind. Thanked her many times.

Got in the building and proceeded to get lost in the maze of hallways . Someone was always there to give me corrections and I finally found the department I was looking for. Checked in, sat down, name called and followed this attractive young lady to an office. I figured she was my Dr.'s assistant and she would be doing the initial workup on me. WRONG. She is my doctor, and between her and the senior endocrinologist, I now have prescriptions in the mail to me and a list of more tests that have to be done. My next appointment is in 3 months, and that means another trip to Miami. The tests will be done here in the West Palm Beach VA, which gave me a little relief. But this nest time I'll use the commuter train service, It stops a block from the hospital, and it will be another day used up in travel and Doctors, but now I really don't care.

Just so happy I could shout. YIPEE!

Bobbi

Angela Campbell
11-06-2013, 05:21 AM
Never take I 95 during rush hour use the turnpike! Should take about an hour and a half.

Rachel Smith
11-06-2013, 07:58 AM
I remember that feeling of finally getting started very well.

Rachel

Chari
11-06-2013, 08:26 AM
So good to hear you are moving forward in a positive direction to enjoy more of your feminine side!

Leah Lynn
11-06-2013, 06:14 PM
My VA primary sent me to endo first. He had all the labs done, then set me up with the psychiatrist. I saw her 2 weeks later, and after half an hour with her, she sent the letter, via email, to the endocrinologist. Saw him the next week, and started the hormones. I love working with the VA!

Hope they continue to serve you well!

Hugs,

Leah

Julie Gaum
11-06-2013, 06:33 PM
VA and I95 but not TS related: Have 3 appointments at W. Palm Beach VA Hospital tomorrow, Thursday, and haven't run into a problem at any time going north but south towards Miami at rush hour is another thing. Some competent docs in other disciplines at the hospital but have struck out at two of the clinics (there are 5 clinics serving vets as "primary or provider care" docs. Have tried two and probably will try a third --- at my age one learns to pick out those whose "practice" of medicine is in the VERY early stages.
Glad to hear of sister visitors to that facility.
Julie

BOBBI G.
11-07-2013, 05:40 AM
Girls, I had forgotten the reasons I don't like to go South of the Palm Beach county line. I was reminded of one of them Tuesday. I have decided on using Tri- Rail and Metro Rail next time. Drops me off just one block from the main gate and costs about 1/2 of what the gas does.

Good news is my prescriptions are in the mail. Just can't start the Blockers until I have my bone density checked, which was ordered. I am now trying to contact my prime on getting the papers to get it done right away. Have waited long enough and I want to be me.

I may try the Turnpike in the future, but my GPS keeps giving me directions via 95.

I have had nothing but good experiences through the VA. My prime really gets things done, my brain crusher ( psychiatrist) is fantastic, and the Endo , in Miami very nice efficient and happens to be easy on the eyes. Entire stann in that endo dept are female, and all very caring. I'm a lucky girl.

Bobbi

Bobbi

BOBBI G.
11-15-2013, 06:01 AM
It is now been ten days and I am no closer to having the tests done than I was when I left Miami. Instead of ordering the tests herself, my endo requested my prime order them. I was told by her assistant she would not order them and to tell my endo that. Well, I have been trying for three days to have her return my calls to no avail. I want to start the blockers, but I want to do it under supervision. If I start them without the test, reference point to use for dosage changes. Its a little frustrating, dealing with government policy and hospital protocol. I do know a source for the meds and now that I know the dosage I can order, I just won't have the medical guidance that I am hoping for. Well, I'll see if I get a call today.

Impatient as ever,
Bobbi

Rogina B
11-15-2013, 07:08 AM
Calm down and do it right!