PDA

View Full Version : Changing your legal name

Rachel Smith
11-06-2013, 08:15 PM
I was looking for a "how to" section or some such thing so others would be able to find this information easily. If there is one and I just couldn't find it or if one of the mods want to move it feel free to do so.

I hope this will make this easier for others. I am in VA. your mileage may vary.

1. Get your court order name change ($41.00) along with 5 Certified Stamp Embossed copies ($2.50 each). Put the original in a safe place so you don't accidentally mail it to someone.

2. Apply to VA. DMV to have an "F" on your license. Requires a letter from one of the Drs. that is treating you. My Psychologist did mine. You can obtain the form here http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/pdf/dl17.pdf from the DMV site.

3. When you get that back take it along with one of the Certified copies of the Court Order name change and the title to your vehicle to your local DMV. Apply for your new license ($24.00)and transfer your vehicle to your new name ($10.00). You will get the title transfer that day. I forgot about the title and had to make two trips.They will mail you your license.

4. After you receive your new drivers license/state ID card apply for a new Birth Certificate ($10.00). You need a copy of your state issued ID.

5. Apply for a new Social Security card. You need your new Birth Cert. for this. I don't know the cost of this as I am currently stuck between #3 and #4.

While you are waiting for these steps to fall in line don't forget to change your name on these. Most of these will accept just a photo copy but some may want a Certified copy (My Life Ins. did)
Life, Health and Auto Ins.
Bank (requires new Photo ID)
Name with HR at work. (Photo Copy of Court Order)

Angela Campbell
11-06-2013, 08:35 PM
I know several who have gone through this here in Florida. Once you have the legal name change from the court they tell me go immediately to SS and get that changed. You do not need a changed birth cert for this, but here you must do the SS change a day before you change the DL because this state uses the SS system and they update it at night so you need to make sure this is complete a day before getting the DL changed, With the court order and the letter for gender change they will change the name and gender. Bring the letter from the Dr prescribing hormones and the name change to the DMV and get all changed and get the pic taken and they give you the new license right then.

After that is the bank, mortgage co, creditcards, utility companies, work, birth cert, passport, and probably a million more.

BOBBI G.
11-07-2013, 05:47 AM
Angela,
Thanks for the notice of the one day wait. I will be doing this in the near future, and info like that is really helpful. So far I know I will need about 18 copies of the change order and am adding to that number continually.

Bobbi

stefan37
11-07-2013, 06:39 AM
The name change order is not a one use thing. Most agencies that require a physical seal will return the document and to be sure it is returned include a self addressed stamped envelop. DMV, Social Security, banks and many others will copy the original and hand it back. I had five copies and 1 was never returned. I still have 4 left.

Beth-Lock
11-07-2013, 06:46 AM
You missed the next step: Get your name changed on everybody else's records. This has meant in my case, notifying and proving when required, what your new name is, and so far, I have done that for 50 more places, but I am not finished yet!

Staci K
11-10-2013, 05:29 PM
Changing your name is a very tedious process. Long before even out as a CD, I took my step-dad's last name since he was raising me (back in the 80's). I had no problem changing everything over since I was still in school. Fast forward to post 9/11 world, no documentation tying my birth name to the name I had been using most my life became increasing difficult. So I legally changed my name just to ease my hassles. While doing it legal, I shortened my given name from Timothy to just Tim, and dropped my middle name. Ten years later, I still get mail on occasion that someone has purchased an old mailing list and they address it to Timothy R despite it legally being just Tim, no middle name. Now, I'm getting ready to change my name again legally to Stacy for my transition. This should be interesting trying to get things changed again.

Stacy

Nicole Erin
11-10-2013, 08:45 PM
Oh yeah man, it is up to the individual to change every stupid piece of paperwork to reflect the new name. The intitial change isn't so bad but then doing all that other crap.
And the worst part - trying to train your casual acquaintances, friends and family to use the new name, CHRIST that never ends.