PDA

View Full Version : Social Media

IMJenn
11-07-2013, 02:47 AM
Now, I'm not asking for your screen names or anything (is it even allowed to post those on here? I'm truly not sure), but does anyone have profiles for their female persona?

I don't have much, being closeted, but I mention in my signature that I have a google+ and skype strictly for my Jenn persona. These are not linked to my male self at all, and just for expressing my female personality. Does anyone else dip into that?

For those of us in the closet (like me! Hey, it's where I keep my best clothes) what steps do you take not to be "outed"? I don't show my face in any pictures, that's the major thing I do.

I hope this subject hasn't been overdone, I apologize if it has.

Karren H
11-07-2013, 07:08 AM
Actually I have no male presence out there in cyber land only Karren..... Facebook and other forums....

siantv2003
11-07-2013, 07:20 AM
Sian has an FB presence and her own email - no Skype for her as its real time and she couldn't manage that and the online presence her other side / half has .. two worlds will always remain firmly apart

linda allen
11-07-2013, 07:22 AM
First, it seems a bit dishonest to create social media accounts that are "fake" (creating one as a female when you are a male would be "fake" unless you are living as a female and transitioned). A crossdressing forum is an exception in some ways but we still expect honesty here even though we are using female screen names and posting photos as females.

Second, there are a lot of connections behind the scenes on facebook and other social media sites that we don't know anout or don't understand. Unless you go to a public (library or such) computer for each social media session, there's a really good chance that your female persona and your real self will get tangled together.

It's safest to just not go there.

edit: I do use facebook but as only my male self. Since I've retired and moved away from friends and family, it's a great way to keep up with them. I've also been able to reconnect with friends and co-workers from my youth (and keep track of who is no longer around).

kimdl93
11-07-2013, 07:57 AM
I am a Luddite in terms of social media...this is pretty much it for any social media expression of my gender identity. I do have an email account and a business presence in LinkedIn which I seldom use. I am constantly amazed, however, by how many skills I've been endorsed for. I wish I had half of them!

Sarah Beth
11-07-2013, 08:04 AM
I don't facebook, tweet, skype or any of that as either my male self or as Sarah. I know I'm probably in a minority with that but I think a lot of things are dangerous. I read something here awhile back that FB is the most hacked and most dangerous place to put or keep personal information. Even the things that are supposed to private on there turn up in public alll the time. I guess maybe I am just a more private person than that, I don't feel the need to let the whole world know what's going on in my life and I certainly don't the friends of friends and who knows who a lot of the "friends" really are knowing the intimate details of my life.

BLUE ORCHID
11-07-2013, 08:10 AM
Hi Jenn, Be careful what you wish for with Social Media sites.

bridget thronton
11-07-2013, 09:15 AM
I have profiles on several sites (the work related ones are male the others are not). Best way to not be outed is to never link any information between male and female profiles (including emails-mail and credit cards info).

~Joanne~
11-07-2013, 09:27 AM
First, it seems a bit dishonest to create social media accounts that are "fake" (creating one as a female when you are a male would be "fake" unless you are living as a female and transitioned). A crossdressing forum is an exception in some ways but we still expect honesty here even though we are using female screen names and posting photos as females.

This I disagree with somewhat. If your creating a femme account and leading men into thinking your really female then I agree but there is nothing wrong with creating a "fake" account as you prove in your next paragraph.

Second, there are a lot of connections behind the scenes on facebook and other social media sites that we don't know about or don't understand. Unless you go to a public (library or such) computer for each social media session, there's a really good chance that your female persona and your real self will get tangled together.

It's safest to just not go there.

Facebook is notorious for collecting, storing, and selling personal data. Their privacy policies change almost daily with no notice to the user and claim copyright to everything you put on their site. Their face recognition program will certainly out you if your not very careful but sooner or later, your accounts will collide or they will "suggest" your femme account to one of your friends or family.

Other social sites are just about the same but facebook really takes the cake. Unless you don't care about being outed, or you are out, I suggest skipping on social sites.

Marika01
11-07-2013, 09:50 AM
I don't do FB for the reasons already stated here. I do have a Linkedin account in male mode as that is how I present for work and it is useful for getting work.

SherriePall
11-07-2013, 10:01 AM
I have a femme email address and an account on FB. I recently got more into it, but now I wonder if I should since FB just announced a change in their rules on who can see what. Fortunately I try to keep any info to less than the bare minimum.

Christie ann
11-07-2013, 10:11 AM
Christie definitely has an email account. How else can I get notice about all those great sales?

Lexi Moralas
11-07-2013, 10:34 AM
This forum is the only scocial media I am involved with at all. I used to have a my space years ago
And it was fun but I deleted it as part of a purge. And never felt the need to go back.
I only started with my space , I was looking for every thing this forum provides. So I don't really need any other social media

Beverley Sims
11-07-2013, 10:37 AM
I am not social at all.
This is the closest I come to social media.
Too many other commitments

Debra Russell
11-07-2013, 12:48 PM
Christie definitely has an email account. How else can I get notice about all those great sales?

Yep ! me too.....................Debra

docrobbysherry
11-07-2013, 12:55 PM
Of course! Sherry is a media darling and has her own FB page. She has over 1000 Friends on hers.

I have 30 on mine!

Chrissy52
11-07-2013, 01:02 PM
No social net work for me to easy for it to get out to the wrong people and then you are outed . I don't want to play in that sand box! Play safe

Shirley Anne
11-07-2013, 01:04 PM
Shirley Anne has an email address and thats it, I dont use any of the social media sites in either male or female mode.

Tracii G
11-07-2013, 02:09 PM
I have a femme FB page and it doesn't leak over to my male FB page after I blocked HIM from my girl page.
Use different browsers for each.
Its not being fake at all I'm still me. 99% of Tracii's FB friends know she is a CD so what s the problem?
If I get a FR from a guy I just delete it.

lilmissjenny
11-07-2013, 03:26 PM
i have a facebook page. i rarely post on it but i check it almost daily :) if you wanna add me, i am Jennifer Renee E on there

Lorileah
11-07-2013, 04:23 PM
and yet, today, I told everyone on my male page to go to Lori's page...:thinking: You suppose that was a wrong move?

Unless someone really works at it, no one really cares what your FB page is about. You all act like there are secret police out there waiting to catch you , put you under a 100 watt bulb and grill you into admission. Three years with two separate pages and ONE person figured it out in all that time. And I didn't even try to hide it, often talking to myself

Alice B
11-07-2013, 05:42 PM
I refuse to have a social media site because there is too great a chance of being discovered by those I wish to keep out of the loop. Twice Ive had members here try to friend me on Facebook and both times I received calls from business associates asking me what that was all about. If you want to be discovered the odds go way up with these sites.

Tracii G
11-07-2013, 05:58 PM
Sounds like nosy business associates to me.
I've had many from here friend me on my male FB and maybe one person asked me, I said they were friends whats the big deal?
Act like its nothing and it will be a non event.Try to hide and lie about it and you deff look guilty.
I have an old friend from another site who is TS friend me and another friend asked " was that person once a dude and had a sex change?" I said yeah so what she is a great person and I think the world of her.
The response OK I was just curious.

Phylis Nicole Schuyler
11-08-2013, 07:55 AM
Sian has an FB presence and her own email - no Skype for her as its real time and she couldn't manage that and the online presence her other side / half has .. two worlds will always remain firmly apart

I too have a FB account and gmail account in only Phylis' name. I have a private gmail account and also an art account (pawstudios) on gmail. I don't want to mix personas. I'm thinking of doing a separate art account for Phylis also.

First, it seems a bit dishonest to create social media accounts that are "fake" (creating one as a female when you are a male would be "fake" unless you are living as a female and transitioned).

In my facebook account I immediately state that I am a crossdresser. I also look at it that when I am on Phylis' facebook account, that is the female side of me that has anything to do with anything or anyone on facebook. I would consider that it was fake only if I was a fake crossdresser. IMHO, sorry.

Sonia_cd
11-08-2013, 12:57 PM
Yeah...am on FB and keep the two lives separated. Account and privacy settings are regularly monitored and controlled as are the requests that are accepted. I will admit that to some it may seem like hypocrisy to be on a social networking site and then limit access and control but to each his/her own, right? Friends/girls from here whom I trust obviously have full access but then when you get people sending you pics of their junk and stuff, they get blocked. :)

So if you're careful it is rather safe but as with all thing on the internet, once its out there... :D

Sonia

Pandys
11-08-2013, 05:58 PM
I have a Skype for both male and CD me as well as email accounts. but FB only as male I don't pretend to be a gg on them though.

Tracii G
11-08-2013, 07:21 PM
I love having Sonia on my girl page she posts such pretty pics!

NathalieX66
11-08-2013, 07:44 PM
Just fb amd flikr......nothing else.
If NSA wants to spy on me, this is what they're gonna get.

AmyGaleRT
11-08-2013, 08:33 PM
I have my own Facebook and Pinterest as a woman; they're linked in my signature.

My Facebook profile is carefully audited for privacy, and I maintain no visible connection between my two selves. (I have a separate "Amy" E-mail address, too.) I access Facebook (and my E-mail, and other things like Meetup) from within a Chrome "incognito" window that keeps my "Amy security context" from spilling out.

- Amy

tictac43
11-08-2013, 09:43 PM
I have definitely thought about doing FB or some sort of social thing but I'm kinda unsure how I feel about it. I don't want to fall into living a crazy double life or anything. I feel like it could get out of hand easily

PretzelGirl
11-08-2013, 10:04 PM
Another with accounts for both sides. You need to access them properly and ensure that your security settings are correct, but it is not a tough thing.

Sonia_cd
11-08-2013, 10:25 PM

Awww.....and I'm just honoured to be able to call you a friend Tracii... <3 Tracii gets out and about in the real world and Sonia lives for that vicarious pleasure ;)

AmyGaleRT
11-09-2013, 05:37 AM

Me too! I have several Indian girls on my friends list; they all tend to be very pretty. Sonia definitely brings up the average. :)

- Amy

Amanda M
11-09-2013, 06:05 AM
I have a male presence on FB, but rarely use it, because I have no faith whatsoever in FB treating personal information properly.

Marcelle
11-09-2013, 06:07 AM
Never had a FB profile as male or female . . . too much trouble keeping up with all the little things that go along with it.

Hugs

Isha

Audreyanne
11-09-2013, 05:53 PM
I had a My Space account. My goal was to gain more insight on what it is like to be a woman so I listed myself as female. I did not list myself as a CD because I wasn't looking to experience what it is like to be a CD. While I could never pass on the street, I can in a photograph. I ended up with lots of "friends" none of whom I have ever met. It was interesting to experience the interactions and it let the personality of my female character develop. As My Space collapsed, it ceased being interesting.

CarmenSkye
11-10-2013, 07:28 PM
I have a Twitter account for my female self. I don't have any type of photos up there and I use that account to be as free as possible. I don't add any of my friends and I avoid using any personal information at all costs. I'm completely in the closet. And it's not so much just expressing my female persona as it is expressing myself in a comfortable and judgement free zone possible (although, I do tend to act a ton more girly lol). I tend to follow accounts (celebrities, models, other LGBT figures) that I wouldn't normally follow on my "real" account so that I can keep both digital sides of me completely seperate. Currently I only have like 50 followers and they're pretty much complete strangers. I would love to have more people like myself on Twitter so it's not like I'm just talking to myself lol. Feel free to PM me for my Twitter handle if any of ya'll have an account. :)

Kelly DeWinter
11-10-2013, 07:39 PM
No0000000000000000000000 ! Not me ! :heehee::eek::eek: Nothing on the internet ... What wait whats that at the bottom ???? Who put that there ?

Raychel
11-10-2013, 08:08 PM
I have a FB account for the guy side, but the ne I had for the gal side was getting cross pollenated, so
the fem side got deleted from the online social media.

CarlaWestin
11-10-2013, 08:17 PM
My male me has a Fbook account. I keep it so I can watch what my daughter is up to. She posts everything. Personally, I keep girl and guy stuff separate as much as I can but, with the way society is actually absorbing gender tolerance, I really don't worry about it anymore. What the eff, I'm a crossdresser. Big deal.