PDA

View Full Version : Self Mis-Gendering

Ann Louise
11-07-2013, 11:55 AM
Being a new Facebook user, I've been amazed at the range of contact that I now have with many of my friends here, and family, and friends from long ago. As I've spread my wings living my genuine life, I've been emboldened to establish and foster contact with many, many people who as a reclusive, closeted transsexual, I never would have imagined possible just a couple of years ago.

I've limited my range of FB "friends" to all of my contemporary contacts, and none of those from the past who remember me as "he who shall remain unnamed." But I had a surge of courage a couple of days ago, though, and sought out a couple who I'd known long ago, back in my crazy days of anything-goes hippy life, offering friendship, and a brief hello message. Fingers crossed, and really excited when they both replied and accepted my friendship request, I commenced to engage in some very heavy reminiscing, and started to make enthusiastic plans with these old friends, who seemingly were totally on-board with my transsexuality (I mean, we're "hippies," for gosh sakes, of course we're cool with that...).

After one long evening and a following morning of heavy back-and-forth texting, though, I started to notice a disturbing trend becoming evident in the communications. All, and I mean all of the chat was about "me" and them as I used to be (of course, right?), and none of it was about the here and now, life now, religion and politics, future plans, none of it. I felt a sinking feeling developing, as the sentences were sent back and forth, and then Bam, there it was. "Dude" started to be used. In a conversation about our collective interaction on something that happened to us long ago, the dreaded "he" and "him" would (seemingly) innocently arise.

Then came the coup de grace: "We're soo glad you've made contact... you're nothing like you were before. In fact, we didn't really even like you much back then!"

What? Gulp... [LOL]

:sad: Well, ok, I can accept that, I guess. Of course, I was no angel, but was I really that bad? And then they launched into more back and forth in a light-hearted, reminiscent litany of all the screwed up male things that I did back then (it was brutal truth among old friends, she said), and I recognized that it was all oriented around the false machismo that was the principal feature of my old emotional armor back then.

Gosh, will I ever live that down? Can I ever really come to peace with that? In fact, I thought I had. But why does my chest feel like there's a hole in it then? I was living as a male then, but that's all over now, right?

Many other doubting, conflicting emotional questions swirled up as I mixed together all the "he's" and "him's," and the brutal truth of my old friends. And I then came to the personal realization that perhaps many of us, in particular those who are having a difficult, agonizing time coming to terms with their transition and separating their hearts from aspects of their old, false lives, are actually clinging to the old shell, and are in effect repeatedly misgendering themselves because it was "him" who set all that up. Not you, now. Over and over the self-inflicted misgendering is repeated. Old friends, wives, brothers and sisters, of course mom and dad, all these important people in our foregoing lives, with whom we wish to maintain contact, may implicitly serve as the catalysts of our own personal misgendering of ourselves.

It is any wonder, therefore, that we have emotional wounds and scars that never seem to heal and truly disappear?

I'm not proposing that we TS cut loose of all our old contacts and break completely from the past, although we all might have contemplated doing just that. But, I am noting here that the act of maintaining those old ties might implicitly set up a misgendering dynamic of our own creation, repeatedly resurrecting "he who shall remain unnamed," and we are the agent rubbing misgendered salt in our own emotional wounds, rather than it being done by others.

Just something I'm thinking about. Love to you all,

)0( Ann )0(

Ariamythe
11-07-2013, 02:11 PM
I may be in the minority in the community on this, but when it comes to scenarios like the one you describe, the idea of misgendering doesn't bother me. I was not a nothing for 37 years; I was a human being with connections and accomplishments and dreams and failures. I did things in that time I was proud of; I did things in that time I was ashamed of. For me, becoming a woman won't whitewash that past. For example, I don't think I can ever stop thinking of myself as the father of my children. Even though they may someday call me mother, I am, biologically and in my heart, the paternal part of their parentage.

Does this lead to some discongruity of existence? Absolutely. But life isn't perfect, and becoming myself won't make it so.

AllieSF
11-07-2013, 03:14 PM
Ariamythe, I like your reply, sounds somewhat like what I would hope that my thinking would be if I was ever on your side of the fence, so to speak. Pragmatic in the real world.

Ann Louise, I read your OP and it made me think about the few times I would get back together with my truly best friends from high school and early college days They are still count my friends, but not the best ones because we have been separated for so many years by long distances. We would meet at a bar or restaurant and spend the whole evening laughing and reliving history, literally ending the time with tears of laughter in our eyes. Great times reliving, but so-so times in living and getting to know each other as were are today, parents, aged adults, successes and failures, still married or divorced, politically aware or in the dark. A lot of fun talk but nothing really serious. So, after those get reunions I would look back and really wonder whether we could still be best of friends or would our matured and maturing personalities be so different now that we would be less comfortable just being together again? So, your story makes me think that part of your conversations and after taste contains that element.

The second part is sometimes we always worry about what others thinks and other times not so much. In our free youth we may think a lot less about it, because if you were anything like me when growing up, life was a lot about me, having a girlfriend, getting a car, dancing, going to college and eventually getting a good job and living comfortably. So, sometimes the truth really does hurt. Hopefully it comes to us in a good way and not in a derogatory manner. That truth, even if hurtful, is another one of those opportunities for self review and learning, if we decide to make the best of the opportunity, and it seems that you are just doing that.

Since who you are is very well known to you, your renewed friendship is still relatively new and a your friends are just learning more about the new you, they are just trying their best and will probably need more time to replace the "he" with the "she", but I think that you already understand that too. So, whether or not those scars ever disappear or not, may depend on what scar removing cream that you use. For most of us, scars are like little reminders of the past, but the vast majority do not cause any pains when we see them. You may have had painful moments in the past, but it also sounds like you also had some wonderful and very fun moments too. I personally would try to focus how well you actually did during those early days and all that fun and good that you had. Just remember, the salt only gets rubbed into the wound if you do it or let some else do it. You have the control over your actions. Thanks for sharing.

Megan72
11-07-2013, 03:20 PM
Given my current state of mind I hope that this does not completely ring out of tone but, "those who forget their history are doomed to replete it" said one fairly well known founding father of America.

I doubt that your experience has any bearing on the relationship you will create. Your friends have only the old perception in which to relate, it is up to you give them a new perception. They obviously accept you as you are however do not have a point of reference to address you as you are now. You may feel the need to gently correct their addressing you, or not either way would be fine to most. Just follow through with the plans and show them the woman that they missed knowing in the younger years and they will accept that it is still you without the machismo BS that came with the old.

They will see you as the woman you are and will adjust. Sometimes I think that we are in such a hurry to be "accepted" that we forget to allow those around us the time needed to adjust themselves. Just because soe,done calls me sir does not change the way I feel inside.

Megan

Kaitlyn Michele
11-07-2013, 05:11 PM
I am happily and forever father to my children. I am their Dad.. They call me Dad all the time.... It is more than fine with me...i'm their dad...
we joke that i'm their dad who is a girl...

to me this is not misgendering... (altho it may well be, I don't really care..its of no consequence).... this is because I know beyond any doubt who I am , and what I did with my life is all I need to state who and what I am.....it doesn't threaten my femaleness to be called dad...

======

My friends are a slightly different story...I like my old school buddies...they are good to me and we still do things together...they call me kate and comment about how "normal" it seems that their friend is a woman... talk of the past is a big part of what keeps us together, and its often stories of nights out, golf trips or benders... I don't mind when they don't go back and regender a story from 20 years ago....

I hope that over time and as your experience in your new life grows you will find this issue of no importance..

btw...speaking of self misgendering...

I met a man walking his dog the other day, and we let our dogs greet and he said "hi my name is.....".... well that name was my birth name, and my response was caught in my throat.."hey, that used to be my name!"... those words made it right up to the top of my voice box before I stopped!!!!!

its kind of a hint about how difficult it is on our friends and loved ones to get this right on our behalf..

KellyJameson
11-07-2013, 09:49 PM
I have found that I'm beyond being defined by others regardless of what they do. I know who I am and no one can make me doubt this anymore.

Ann Louise
11-08-2013, 01:36 AM
Thank you ladies for your thoughtful replies. I must say that I envy your close ties with your families, and the certainty with which you are able to walk forth into the world. Family relationships in my life have been fractured and fraught with discord and sorrow, and my true friendships have been few and very far between. I've worked out that GD has been the underlying culprit, and my transition has worked a miracle already in empowering my newfound desire to meet, know and foster friendships with dozens of new people in my life. But I'm still an emotional adolescent in many ways, and I thank you for sharing your thoughts with me.

BTW, this time day after tomorrow I'll have a new face! Please send me good energy Saturday morning at 7 AM Central time when my instant ten-hour nap begins. Sweet Barbara Ella's coming on up to help me. She's a genuine true friend, and I met her here. See you in a couple of weeks. Best to you all, Ann ^_^

AllieSF
11-08-2013, 04:38 AM
What a surprise! Good luck, sleep well and awaken much better.

mary something
11-08-2013, 08:28 AM
Will do! Warm wishes and best of luck!

I Am Paula
11-08-2013, 08:30 AM
During my coming out process, there were old friends who had no need to know. Then there were old friends I might see, or just were such an important part of my male life, that they deserved to know. A few I contacted by phone, or got an immediate phone response to my email. As old friends are wont to do, we ended up reminiscing about past adventures, and exploits. The phone call, which was supposed to be about my new life, quickly turned to being about my old male life.
At least we were in touch. They did get the info about my new life. In each case, I took the half hour or so of reminiscing as acceptance. Hell, they coulda' hung up.

Ann Louise
11-08-2013, 12:25 PM
Very good point Paula. I can be too judgemental sometimes, and let it color my perception of the world. A bad habit I'm working on :-)