PDA

View Full Version : Briefly Noted Small Steps But Progress

Julie Gaum
11-10-2013, 10:15 PM
This thread is neither a commentary on politics nor religion but of events of which we all should be aware. The US Senate passed a bill now on its way to the House that would include banning discrimination in the workplace for sexual and gender orientation. Some states and Canada already have such laws but this would become a federal law IF passed by the House.
Secondly, the new Pope sent shock waves throughout the world by instructing every Cardinal in every country to collect opinions and observations of their parishioners --- not by their clergy but by the laity concerning the problems encountered with same sex alliances/marriage, with homosexuality as now being dealt with by their priests, with cross gender presentation and orientation, with the possibility of female clergy (Catholic),
and with married clergy as an option along with any other situation now causing schisms and dissatisfaction. These findings --- without censorship or commentary --- are to be sent to a special Vatican department set up for this purpose. Doesn't mean that there will be one iota of change in our life-times, but, at least and at last, these issues will be out in the open and examined as related to their effects on world Catholicism.
As sisters we know only too well how important it is to communicate whether to a partner, a city or state in furthering understanding. Astonishingly, there has only been passing coverage of both events. Neither may bring tidal changes in the short term but in the future someday?
Julie

Melissa in SE Tn
11-10-2013, 11:33 PM
Julie ... Brilliant comments! I shall not be so polite as to where the fault lies with the passed Senate bill not making it to the House floor for a vote. Just like the government shutdown debacle ,King Boehner refuses to even bring the bill to a House vote because he fears alienating the Tea Party insurgents and concurrently losing his Speakership position. IF he was man enough to bring the bill for House vote, it might win approval thereby becoming the law of the land. We won't know if it could be a law because Boehner & the Tea Party insurgents cast fear & demagogury over Congress! I wait anxiously for their spin to see how they will blame Obama for
their ignorance.

As for the new Pope, he is showing God's love. I pray for change & peace in our lifetime. Julie, thank you for your wisdom.

Leann68
11-10-2013, 11:41 PM
Melissa in SE Tn, this is not a perfect world, all I will say is that I have a very different opinon than you. I will not discuss Politics or religion on this form.

Beverley Sims
11-11-2013, 12:05 AM
Julie there are lots of little positive steps these days, one is leaving my sex off my next passport.

Launa
11-11-2013, 12:23 AM
Hi Julie, I hope for new changes all the time!

However I know views and atitutues take a long time to turn around, it can be a "big wheel" to stop and turn in a new direction. I've often said what I do today might not help me tomorrow or the next day but it might help somebody in 40 years from now and that's what matters to me. I will be gone but hopefully I will have made a difference!

That's all that matters

Cheers

Launa