PDA

View Full Version : Yeah. I made it through.

Erica Marie
11-10-2013, 11:49 PM
Ok this may sound dumb to alot of you. But this is the first time I made it through a tough weekend of "man"work and didnt break a nail ot two. I was able to haul and restack 3 cord of firewood and spend an hour working on my sons car and all the nails made it through safe and sound. Not sure how else to keep them safe besides just being careful. Anyone else have these problems?

Beverley Sims
11-10-2013, 11:56 PM
Erica,
You just have to learn to work around it.

Cynthia Anne
11-11-2013, 12:01 AM
I guess luck was on your side this weekend!

Joni Beauman
11-11-2013, 02:01 AM
I split half a cord this weekend and in process smashed one finger, sprained my thumb, and have a fairly deep splinter. Just for comparison. Joni

Lorileah
11-11-2013, 11:58 AM
one word...gloves.

Karren H
11-11-2013, 12:07 PM
You beat me.... I trashed my nails rebuilding the engine in my daughters car.....

suchacutie
11-11-2013, 12:10 PM
Erica, you are singing my song! It didn't take long to realize that being active in both genders was going to generate problems. Nails is certainly one of them! My male self does so much gardening it's effectively a small farm out there! We heat with wood completely. He does carpentry and plumbing and don't forget cleaning the gutters this time of year!!!
So...Friday night sees me adding another layer of nail hardener! Latex gloves to keep under the nails clean, covered by work gloves. But those work gloves have to fit correctly. My wife complains that she breaks a nail a week when she USES gloves!

But it's not just that. All that heavy work strengthens my male upper body. Tina is enough of a "lumberjack look" already and really doesn't need any more muscles there. On the other hand, my wife loves those muscles, so Tina just needs to suffer a bit!

Oh, and then there's the dirt, but a facial scrub after working outside does a great job for keeping the complexion even :)

Robbin_Sinclair
11-11-2013, 12:25 PM
....Not sure how else to keep them safe besides just being careful. Anyone else have these problems?

Yes, of course.

My trick, don't pick up stupid substances and mindfulness. Haven't broken anything so far today.

:hugs: rbbn

Ms. Laura
11-11-2013, 02:13 PM
I love it! Yes, same problem here. :) Dirt, ground into the dry skin and under the nails is hard to get rid of. Gloves help for sure but it's no safe bet.

On the plus side, I scored a box of KISS cutom fit, pre-glued nails for a special occasion. :) These have been discontinued I believe, but I love them.

Marcelle
11-11-2013, 05:49 PM
I always wear good thick leather work gloves when cutting and splitting wood. It helps but not a guarantee your nails will survive . . . broke one today.

Hugs

Isha

Jenny Gurl
11-11-2013, 06:35 PM
I would say Gel coated nails but they are a bit obvious for those who lead 2 lives. A coat of base OPI and Matte OPI nail strengthener helps and can be removed later. Gloves are the fastest on and off.

Bria
11-11-2013, 06:43 PM
I work on cars every day so broken nails is almost an every day occurance, gloves are too thick to feel anything, also got a total of 5 cuts on both hands. I need concealer for the hands! Bria

Rachael Leigh
11-11-2013, 07:23 PM
I grow my nails kinda to a modest length and I do hate when I break one that's for sure. Unfortunately don't get a chance to paint mine though

Maria 60
11-11-2013, 07:27 PM
I guess we now know how a women feels when her nail breaks and they don't work construction or rebuilds motors, they just break on there own, so what kind of chance do we have.

SabrinaDubh
11-11-2013, 07:30 PM
Hire the neighbors kid or just call a firewood delivery service. Nails or not there's no reason for me to go chopping up wood. :)

jilliannichols
11-11-2013, 08:03 PM
BTit drives me nuts but i keep trying to keep them nice w/manicure every week for years used beauty store product called Starting Over but now use a light nude color and Gelous top coat.They love it when i come en femme and get my toes done and nails prettied up also.I wear latex gloves almost any time I think I might mess up a nail 5 or 6 pair a day .your hands will sweat so sometimes I wear two pair so when they tear I can just change the outer pair and not have such a struggle regloving BTW I do mainenance work at a large healthcare facility

candykowal
11-11-2013, 08:22 PM
Oh, I hate when I break a nail!
Going through a whole week at work and still having all your nails, "Priceless!"
I have been using Sally Hansen's continuous growth croissance with wonderful results.
It's clear so I can wear it 24/7 and it seems to help with the splitting, chips, and tore ends.
Gloves are a great idea!! Those mechanics gloves are light, tight, and great for keeping your hands free from scratches and the nails in tack...I going to get some tomorrow!

Rachelakld
11-12-2013, 02:41 AM
work is easy, but weekend of lifting carpet of concrete slab, grinding steel nails, moving scorrier, I lost count of how many times my nails scraped hard materials - and survived.

Sarah Doepner
11-12-2013, 01:34 PM
I keep trying but my nails have become quite brittle over the last few years. I try to use the nail strenghening and other paint on options and wear gloves for outside work, but just when I'm done I slightly miss the handle on a drawer or catch the edge of a nail on something in the sink and have a chip, crack or break. I can't win this game. I usually end up ready to go out with 8 nice nails and 2 cut back to the quick.