PDA

View Full Version : Ebay or thrift shops?

Jesse69
12-31-2005, 10:41 PM
Hello girls - what's your favorite place to shop for bargain clothes? Ebay or thrift shops? For me - it's thrift shops because you get to see the clothes and their quality before buying them. You never get stung with a bad purchase. But I have to admit you don't get the highest of quality womens suits / clothes there as compared to some ebay offerings. So ebay is a close 2nd for me.

I have bought real beautiful suits on ebay and also it has happened to me often where I get the item and then it doesn't look like the listing. So sometimes I have to keep it or try to resell it or send it back to certain vendors. Buying from ebay is always a risk of dissatisfaction, but it's worth the risk for the excellent clothes you can get. My most beautiful suits were bought from ebay, as well as my most crappy outfits too. Again, no surprises from thrift shops, and my best size 4 outfits are from thrift shops.

Vote on the poll.

I love thrift shops the most for bargains.
I love ebay the most for bargains.
I don't like either.
I like both the same amount.
I only buy new from stores.

GypsyKaren
12-31-2005, 11:07 PM
Hi Jesse

I do almost all of my shopping at thrift stores now. You can't beat the selection or the prices, and the shops around here only put out good stuff. My last buy was a blue suede blazer that still looks new, for only $3. I browse through them every week, it's always a good time.

GypsyKaren

RachelPortugal
01-01-2006, 04:11 AM
In the UK, Primark is the place to buy new at really low prices, and as they stock "drab" as well, you can try on before you buy.

I love their denim range and they have some really sexy underwear!

Imogen_Mann
01-01-2006, 05:05 AM
eBay take up 75% of my on line time... I love it ! I only spend what I make through selling other stuff, it's the perfect way of turning my unwanted items into clothes, shoes, wigs and other great stuff !!

If I must shop, I buy new.

Is a thrift shop like an end of season bargain shop selling new goods ? or is it donated second hand stuff being sold by charity ?

I cant stand shopping in charity shops. I used to as a teenager, but I always loathed it. I dont mind retail outlets, discounted new goods that are end of lines or factory seconds. it's just second hand clothes... I spent my first 12 years as a cd in other peoples clothes ( with or without thier knowing :eek: :D ), and was DESPERATE to one day get my own new clothes... and now... I'd never want to go back to second hand.

XX

Jayme

Jonien
01-01-2006, 05:28 AM
I too keep an eye on Primark but thy have a policy not to change underwear under any condition and there sizing is not always good nether is there quality I find better clothes at a thrift shop having said that I live on-top of a market the biggest in europe and some stalls sell the manufactures samples and that means quality at a good price.

Adrianne
01-01-2006, 07:16 AM
I like thrift shops as they have some great clothes, i also shop in places like Ross,Beals,K-Mart,Target and Walmart.

heathr1
01-01-2006, 07:47 AM
Thrift shops with ebay a close second.

The fact that the items have been previously worn by a GG adds to the rush.

Monique_Lynn
01-01-2006, 11:54 AM
Most definately thrift shoppes, great items and not hard on the check book, however for hosiery and intimates its department stores.
ginger

Darlena
01-01-2006, 12:06 PM
I can't help but pick up the scent of a bargain. I just love the thrill of the hunt. And when it's finally all over...I've got more skirts, the ever present panties, earrings, belts, a scarf or two and pantyhose to boot. Oh well.., it's a New Year! I'll do some purging in order to fit everything into the closet.(sorry..,but no pun intended) Love-N-Kisses,

Monica55cd
01-01-2006, 12:10 PM
I shop at some of the little strip mall clothing stores...
they allwas have similer names like fashion Q or something like that mostly the only problem there is finding stuff the right size some have a plus size section and some dont... since i need a 2x or 20/22 size that limits my choices.. ahhh to be thin and be able to wear all that the thin have to choose from... oh well there is always lane bryant.. romans... and catherines to choose from there clothes are getting nicer looking all the time...but their prices are higher

Kim E
01-01-2006, 04:51 PM
I usually shop at discount stores like WalMart or Target. I also check out the sales at Fashion Bug and TJ Max. Never bought any clothing off Ebay because I like to see the item first or try it on before I buy it. Only one thrift shop nearby and the selection is usually terrible.

Kim

Sherrie
01-01-2006, 05:25 PM
I dont like shopping at thrift stores or charity stores. I prefer to shop at places like Stein Mart, Belks, Macy's, Marshalls...etc. I can always find very nice clothes and for wonderful prices on thier clearance racks. I have gotten $60 skirts, and blouses for as little as $10 or $15. I dont have to have the latest fashions, but I do like to dress very nicely. I also goto Target and Wal-Mart. Thier clothes aren't as good a quality but I have gotten some things there for as little as $5. So I dont really mind that they dont last so long.

mmandy31
01-01-2006, 05:48 PM
I bought from both e-bay and thrift shops but i find the thrift shops are better and cheaper to buys clothes.
some things i have to get from e-bay because nobody else has them like vintage lingerie.
As for dresses and skirts it is thrift shop or walmart
because you can see the size and price with no hidden cost
i d never buy lingerie from a thrift shop

Jadeanne
01-01-2006, 08:17 PM
I like thrift stores, have several within a reasonable drive. My loving, supporting, similar size wife shops with me and advises me. She is an excellent judge of size and fit.

I've picked up lots of nice things, mostly under $10 US. I went $15 for an old fasioned purple satin floor length bridesmaid dress and love it. I got the petticoat for it at a different thrift shop for $5.

We don't buy lingerie from thrift stores (except for a couple of nightgows with the tags still on them and they were thoroughly washed before wearing).

I don't do EBAY.

I also check out the clearance sections of Blair, Lane Bryant, Roamans, Old Pueblo Traders, Amerimark, etc.

I also check out retail stores for sale items.

Jadeanne

Julie
01-01-2006, 09:00 PM
You can find things on E-Bay you can't find without driving all over the place but it's hard to beat having the item in right in front of you. I usually clothes shop at TJ Maxx or Marshals. Footwear is either but some of my favorites have come from E-Bay. Jewelry has been mostly E-Bay.

rachel_rachel
01-02-2006, 12:16 AM
Because i'm driving around the suburbs all day everyday, it makes it easy for me to look around at opp shops.
I have several around the sth. east of Melbourne that i look at on a regular basis.

K-mart and shops similar are also good, (i'll only buy new when my wife is with me)

Other than that, eBay is great for all sorts of things, Shoes, some dresses, lingerie, wigs and accesories.

lee james
01-02-2006, 12:28 AM
Most of the clothes that make their way to my wardrobe(closet?) are bought at thrift shops-my wife and I both feel that if we decide that the item(s) we bought arent what we first thought or the sizing wasnt right,we just donate them back.Lingerie and shoes are always bought new.
Thrift shopping is almost a hobby,even when we holiday in Australia or New Zealand,thrift shopping is always high on the agenda for me!!!

Its Sarah
01-02-2006, 12:30 AM
I actually just (an hour ago) went on a bit of an eBay spree, got some new breast forms, earrings, and shoes.

But then again, I've been doing a decent amount of shopping at Walmart lately. Not too sure how it happened but I stopped caring about people noticing me in the womens sections (since I still only shop while in drab). Either way though, there's some good finds to be found there as well as thrift shops.

Billie Jean
01-02-2006, 02:05 PM
I like thrift shops. For about $15 I bought a skirt, blouse, a short wig, and some really cute shoes at the Good Samaritan near where I live. The sales girl was in her twenties and I told her that it was for me. She was nice and said that she was ok with it.
lol Billie Jean

Gale R
01-02-2006, 08:21 PM
Both are good for me, but as was said with thrift shops (called charity shops in UK) you can get to see things and try before you buy, but i 've bought my forms and all my wigs on ebay (9 and counting) with no problems and good quality.:D

renee k
01-02-2006, 09:56 PM
I've purchased a ton of stuff on ebay over the past few years. Everything from wigs to heels and have come away with alot of bargins. Have only been disappointed acouple of times. The one thing I watch closely are the measurements on the clothes. Otherwise it's off to Lord and Taylor or Nordstrom's Rack. Both places I've found good deals as well. Love the sales!

Renee

Tina_N
01-02-2006, 10:09 PM
For me it all depends on what I'm buying. If it's panties, bras or other delectible undergarments I always go for brand new, usually at a discount store. For blouses, tops and skirts it's a 50/50 mix of thrift and discount stores. It's tricky to find that balance between current fashion and cost.

Then there are other times when I just say 'Go for it'! That doesn't happen often, but it feels so good when it does.:D