PDA

View Full Version : Did advertising encourage your crossdressing?

Dee Baker
11-12-2013, 08:26 PM
Did advertising encourage your crossdressing?
I’m thinking subliminally and ads for women’s clothing that don’t necessarily specify for women.

Some examples:
Gentlemen Prefer Hanes
Nothing Beats a Great Pair of Leggs
Our Leggs Fit Your Legs
Now Your Legs Can Have Sheer Energy
Eventually Yours (Slip), Corette
We Create a Design Especially For You (Corset), Berger Bros
You’ll Be Lovely, Too, In a Lovable Brassiere.
Triumph Has The Bra For The Way You Are

Some slogans that may be in the back of my mind (just cant seem to put it together):
“You’ll Love the Way It Fits”
“Wouldn’t You”?
“Try”

Robin777
11-12-2013, 09:24 PM
Advertising of that type has never really encouraged my crossdressing. I never really pay that much attention to advertising slogans. The worst thing that encourages my crossdressing is going into the ladies dept of the clothing store. When I was a youngster it was looking at the Sears and Penny's catalogs.

Rachael Leigh
11-12-2013, 09:30 PM
Just going thru the Sunday adds encourages me and how much I wish I could buy and wear all the pretty things. However it's just dreaming mostly just don't have the budget.

Ceri Anne
11-12-2013, 09:40 PM
Not really, I don't wear any of those brands. My dressing comes from within and the allure of real females

Kate Simmons
11-12-2013, 09:46 PM
When I was a teen some did:

Revlon Cornsilk makeup
Summer Blonde by Clairol
Slicker lop gloss

:)

Gretchen_To_Be
11-12-2013, 09:49 PM
Dee and Robin, like you the TV pantyhose commercials were like a fix for an addict, as were the Penny's, Sears, and Marshall Fields catalogs. There were a few TV shows with crossdressing characters that were riveting as well. I knew it was wrong but I was enthralled anyway. I think my mom detected an inordinate amount of interest but she never said anything.

RebeccaLynne
11-12-2013, 09:55 PM
Dee, I'll take your question to the present tense, if you don't mind...

As I first crossdressed at the tender age of four, advertising had no influence at the time. I really had no knowledge then of enticing potential customers to purchase their products based on their advertisements.

Fast forward to today... everytime I view a commercial having to do with women's clothing or cosmetics, I'm totally engrossed... I want to be attractive and beautiful, and that's exactly what they're selling.

So we're enticed into buying their products, hoping to achieve that level of being the most desirable women we can possibly be... and that applies to all women, whether FAB or those of us who identify as CD'ers...

Does advertising influence my crossdressing? Only in that it makes me want to buy more to enhance the experience... yeah, it does! :heehee:

Beverley Sims
11-12-2013, 10:00 PM
Summer store catalogs, still do it for me..... :)

CarlaWestin
11-12-2013, 10:02 PM
You hit right on it. It was Joe Namath and the pantyhose.

Diane Smith
11-13-2013, 12:42 AM
I don't recall being influenced by ads on TV or in print early on, but today I like to look at magazines with fashion and beauty ads to see what's current and interesting.

But another form of marketing, the Sears, Spiegel, Wards and Penneys catalogs, certainly contributed a great deal to my fashion consciousness and appreciation for the female form in those early years. I used to spend hours memorizing just about every page when I was < 10 years old. (Including the tools and toys as well!)

- Diane

Stephy
11-13-2013, 02:14 AM
I don't know about it being subliminal advertising, but I do think that the way fashion marketing and shopping malls cater so much more for females does have an influence. What is there of interest to the average male in a mall? A few mens clothing stores and dept stores with small mens sections, maybe a small hardware store and bottle store if you're lucky. The rest is all ladies clothes, ladies accessories, girly ornaments etc. etc. As a male you don't get to enjoy 80% of what's on offer. When you crossdress it opens up a whole new range of fun experiences. I think the pull to crossdress would be smaller for me if it were reversed and ladies clothing only made up 20% of the merchandise.

Georgina
11-13-2013, 04:43 AM
The Platex ads of the sixties used to send me wild with envy. The "my girdle is killing me" ad for the 18 hour girdle and the "Cross your heart bra" ads increased my desire to dress.

Janice An
11-13-2013, 05:11 AM
Oh yes. Those big store catalogs were great for finding the right items to dream about.

Breanneb
11-13-2013, 06:30 AM
Thankful that Joe Nameth came out about wearing pantyhose thought about it this morning while slipping into mine as I was getting dressed for work. Just love them

Shari
11-13-2013, 06:50 AM
As a child of the 60's and much like Georgina, those Playtex ads really hit me hard and I fantasized at being able to have such things for myself. I loved it when Playtex had the women wearing their bras on the ouside of their clothing. (they wren't allowed to show that much back then but it was incredibly exciting for an adolescent boy who just wanted so much to be like them and wear those things.

Fast forward to today and RebeccaLynne has hit it right on for me. Anything that shows beautiful women, their cosmetics or clothing and I'm in lock down mode until the commercial is over. It absolutely fascinates me how amazingly beautiful these girls are in high definition.

The very best part is that if i see something I would like to have, I can get it now and i usually do. Most of it is only a click away.

Dawna Ellen Bays
11-13-2013, 06:56 AM
Many of the Max Factor ads of the late 70s were big influence: "Take Your (Eyes/Lips/Face) to the Maxi" was a campaign that really stood out, as did their "Don't You Love Being a Woman?" ads. The Virginia Slims ads were an influence as well; those models wore great clothes.

Terri Semes
11-13-2013, 07:12 AM
I remember looking at the ladies clothing in the sears catalogue from my teens , thought I was looking at the models but as time went by I knew I was really looking at the clothing

Jorja
11-13-2013, 07:53 AM
Advertising only enhanced my desire and need and depleated my savings account.

Nancy Salandro
11-13-2013, 09:28 AM
I loved the shoe ads and shoe sections of the big catalogs. the summer Sears and JC Penney catalogs had pages and pages of strappy sandals and flats and heels and loads and loads of bare toes and shapely tanned legs to see. I could see myself as a gatalog model of womens clothes and shoes from a very early age.

carhill2mn
11-13-2013, 01:25 PM
One of my favorites from my youth was "I dreamed that I .......... in my Maidenform Bra!

Stephanie47
11-13-2013, 01:52 PM
In the neighborhood where I grew up there were two women's clothing stores. One was at a bus stop. The window displays always included mannequins wearing undergarments' body briefers, girdles, bras, slips, hosiery. I always walked slowly past the display windows or pretend to be waiting for the bus to arrive so I could sneak peaks. In those days most stores had two sets of displays windows when entering the store. It was like a passage way to heaven.

Back in the 1950's and 1960's sex was illusive. It was not flaunted. There was much to be left to the imagination. The mannequins hid the forbidden under their attire. Now? With sex hanging all over to see I probably would not become a cross dresser. There is almost nothing to hide in those television ads for Victorian Secret bras and panties. I would know I could never achieve that look.

Heck, as I am banging on the keyboard, Kathie Lee and Hoda are having a segment with live models for lingerie. Nothing left to the imagination.

Jaymees22
11-13-2013, 02:15 PM
I don't think it did but seems to encourage it now. I just started a subscription to Vogue, more than 90% ads, it's great to browse. Jaymee

kimdl93
11-13-2013, 02:37 PM
I'd guess that the cause and effect are reversed. My curiosity and attraction to women's things certainly lead me to notice those products and advertising that appealed to my unusual interests!

jackielynn
11-13-2013, 02:48 PM
I would say advertising influenced my dressing to an extent, not subliminally but just how the ads themselves promote beauty, power, and associate it with clothing. These ads are meant to manipulate women into buying their products by offering them these things. Its not about material possesions, ads sell a lifestyle. I feel there has to be some affect on the men who view these ads also. Maybe not to trick a man into crossdressing but reinforcing the want for those that already do.

Jaylyn
11-13-2013, 02:54 PM
Well if the ads are subliminal then how would we know if they influenced us or not.... Lol really sometimes I see an ad for some luscious red lips on the tube and bam I want to feel the lipstick and smell it on my lips. I guess that it has some effect on my CD.

Dianne S
11-13-2013, 04:10 PM
No. But one of my most powerful CD-related memories is reading the old Sears catalogs from the 1980's. I'd look at the models in their slips, bras, panties, body-shapers and teddies with both admiration and envy. As a teenager, I wanted both to get it on with the models and be them... crazy.

BillieJoEllen
11-14-2013, 11:12 AM
When I was a teenager and into cding I was enthralled by the plethora of lingerie and foundation ads in our local newspaper. It seemed like every night there were at least four or five ads for panties, bras or girdles. Then there was the Sunday edition! Those ads seemed to keep my cding fires quite motivated.

Karren H
11-14-2013, 12:22 PM
Just as much as car commercials made me want to be an automobile.... and at 7 I don't think I was watching much TV.... Saturday cartoons.... I never saw Might Mouse wearing a dress....

Marleena
11-14-2013, 12:32 PM
No.. but I think Joe Namath helped sell pantyhose to men.:) Video--->

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BCWvH2ISyI

Krista1985
11-14-2013, 07:29 PM
I don't think the clothing ads really did anything for me, but when reading your post and some of the reply's, something relevant came to mind.

Saturday morning cartoons were the money slot for toy advertisers, and growing up I can remember vividly watching them advertise the 'boy' and 'girl' toys. as a kid, I was all about ninja turtles, bee-bee guns, GI-Joe's and transformers. But one morning I saw an ad for Polly Pocket, a 'girl' toy, and really wanted it for some reason. I can't remember ever vocalizing that, but it looked so cool, and I knew I wanted it. Keep in mind that was many, many years before the thought of trying on anything outside of the boy's/men's department came to mind. Maybe an early hint?

ArleneRaquel
11-14-2013, 09:20 PM
Years & years ago when I was a teenager, & perhaps before, my family annually received bot Sears & Ward's catalogues and I would eagerly find the lingerie section as I found it very interesting, for more reasons than one. :devil:

Robin777
11-14-2013, 10:13 PM
Saturday cartoons.... I never saw Might Mouse wearing a dress....

But Bugs Bunny was always running around in a dress and looking good!

barbie lanai
11-15-2013, 06:42 AM
Even Elmer Fudd could look good in a dress.

stephNE
11-15-2013, 07:29 AM
It didn't have any effect on my starting to cross dress, but now advertising does determine what I buy (styles, colors, etc. ).

daarleane
11-15-2013, 09:13 AM
I don't know about it being subliminal advertising, but I do think that the way fashion marketing and shopping malls cater so much more for females does have an influence. What is there of interest to the average male in a mall? A few mens clothing stores and dept stores with small mens sections, maybe a small hardware store and bottle store if you're lucky. The rest is all ladies clothes, ladies accessories, girly ornaments etc. etc. As a male you don't get to enjoy 80% of what's on offer. When you crossdress it opens up a whole new range of fun experiences. I think the pull to crossdress would be smaller for me if it were reversed and ladies clothing only made up 20% of the merchandise.

I think Stephy hit on it. The shopping malls are almost exclusively female needs and desires. I would be curious to know what the ratio of floor space used to sell female clothing is to men's clothing. What great interest is there in selling something that just barely changes in design and is devoid of any pastel colors ( think men's wear). I know men that buy their clothes just like you buy a part for a car. There is no interest except that it is something that I need to do. Whereas the shopping malls are just full of life, color and fantasy. What girl didn't dream of being a princess?

mykell
11-18-2013, 09:52 AM
not for me, curious, tried on, hooked !!! i dressed like a girl and i like it

Christine Andrews
11-18-2013, 12:57 PM
Initially, I was going to say no but if we classify catalogues as advertising I would definitely have to answer yes.

The women's section of the catalogue certainly opened my eyes and fired my imagination. I would have to say that it encouraged me to act on the curiosity that was already there.

Judith96a
11-18-2013, 01:03 PM
Even Elmer Fudd could look good in a dress.

:heehee: I like that :battingeyelashes:

Linda E. Woodworth
11-18-2013, 01:04 PM
While I recognize many of the advertising campaigns I have to say that they didn't not have an effect on my crossdressing. I wanted to dress from seeing the clothing on the women around me.

CynthiaD
11-18-2013, 06:40 PM
Perhaps the Michael Salem ads in the raunchier men's magazines ...

Deedee Skyblue
11-18-2013, 07:30 PM
Just as much as car commercials made me want to be an automobile.... and at 7 I don't think I was watching much TV.... Saturday cartoons.... I never saw Might Mouse wearing a dress....

But... Bugs Bunny was another story!

Deedee