PDA

View Full Version : Resurrection – sorry its lengthy

Staci K
11-12-2013, 08:42 PM
Hello everyone,

Some of you may have known me on the forums as Nicole Stevens. I’ve been around here and there for about 5 years now.

Up until recently, I’ve always considered myself a CD. Although, I’ve known deep down that I needed to transition for a long time, I couldn’t look at myself in the mirror and tell myself that.

Well, recently my life has changed. My wife & I ended our 21 year marriage. Thankfully, we’re not the least bit bitter. We’re still best of friends, we visit often, and we still have each others’ back. But when we’re under the same roof wanting to take our lives in different directions we’re both miserable.

Now at the age of 41 – first time in my life since I went from my parents’ to married life – I find myself alone. It’s amazing how much thinking of one’s life one can do when they have nothing but free time around work. My thoughts while alone have taken me down some very delightful roads, as well as, my thoughts while alone have taken me down some very frightful roads.

In my thinking, I can pin-point tell-tale signs that I’ve needed to transition. I’d think of hooking up with another woman, however, I am able to truthfully see that eventually it’ll end the same as my marriage – my outcomes have always lead me to the conclusion that one can not live vicariously through another. Then I looked ahead in my life 5 years if I was to transition (my thinking is in 5 years I should be able to fully transition and be living as a woman), I couldn’t believe the overwhelming sense of happiness and joy that washed over me when thinking of being a woman.

So, since I’m at a point in my life that I’m not having to live for anyone but myself – I think its time I quit denying myself happiness and start the road to transitioning.

I’ve been quit a bit of researching already, as well as, planning. I read that if overweight, get yourself back in shape before starting HRT – once on HRT since you lose muscle mass, it’s harder to lose the weight. So I’m planning on taking a year just to focus my efforts on getting myself back in shape – additionally, in taking the year to focus on my physical conditions, it gives me a year to clean up my financial woes.

I work in the medical insurance industry. I have a great job that I telecommute from my home office – I haven’t left home for a day of work in 5 years. Although it’s still early, I intend on legally changing my name to Stacy Txxxx just after the first of the year. My thought process is Stacy is a unisex name. Since I’m going through a divorce, I can play the name change off as wiping my slate clean to escape family and disappear. I could then transition while keeping my work at home job and nobody is the wiser – 90 percent of my co-workers live in a different state, and the other 10 percent live in the same state but no where near me. I figure by using a gender neutral name that I like, I wouldn’t have to come out and raise attention to myself until the transition is complete. Unlike if I was to if I was to change my name to Nicole and have to have a phone meeting with a group or client with a male voice still – could you just imagine??? I don’t know what some clients would think, but it’s not a bridge I want to cross.

I do have many valid concerns going down the road to transition. I’ve seen some that have successfully transitioned and now are absolutely beautiful women enjoying their lives. I’ve also seen others that have basically destroyed their lives – now living with daunting stares and reduced to practically empty shells of their former selves.

I want to find a therapist that can help – I can find many that deal with gender identity issues – but their credentials seem to be as varied as colors in the rainbow. I don’t want to empty my soul and my wallet out expecting to get a letter to proceed, only to get “Sorry, I don’t have the credential to write such a letter. Let me refer you to XXXXX” and then have to start all over.

Additionally, since I work in the medical insurance industry (my employer is my insurance company) I know gender disorders/treatments are a contract exclusion on my coverage (generally most coverages exclude gender disorders). The last thing I want is a provider to bill my insurance/employer with a diagnosis of depression and later when I come out have my employer review my claims and think I unethically had providers fraudulently bill to use my benefits. I would really rather just pay for things out of my pocket as if I have no coverage.

That brings me to coming to you all for advice or suggestions on proceeding. I want to proceed, but I don’t want to end up an empty shell of the self I’m leaving behind.

Sorry it was kind of lengthy – thank you in advance for all your input.

Stacy :)

PS. Coincidentally, after I decided to use the name Stacy going forward I thought I’d look it up to see the meaning. I even more comfort in using the name when I learned its meaning to be “Stacy derives from the name Anastasia that in Greek means ‘resurrection’” Very fitting I thought.

bas1985
11-13-2013, 12:29 AM
Hi Stacy your situation is similar to mine. I work from home and I have discovered my TS nature being a lot alone.

Another woman will not give me any more than my x-wife, there was not any wrong with her, it was just me, I am
not a man. So the same problems will there be with any other straight woman.

Anastasia is a beautiful name, mine is "marina" which in Italia means "seaside" or "navy". Venus was birthed by the waves
of the sea...

donnalee
11-13-2013, 02:40 AM
If you are considering how to pay for your transition, you should know that CalPERS (California Public Employees Retirement System) is now covering employees for it. Since you want to leave where you presently are, check the open jobs for the state and many municipalities, counties etc.; they should tell you whether or not they use CalPERS.

Jorja
11-13-2013, 01:49 PM
Hi Stacy,

Nice name by the way. I saw your post last night but it was late and I needed some time to think about what I wanted to say. I am sorry the marriage didn’t work out but I am glad to hear you are friends. That can make all the difference in the world especially if you continue on the path to transition. I am also glad to hear you are looking for a therapist. A good gender therapist can really help you. I cannot recommend one being in Ohio and you in the Seattle area. Ask around at the GLBT centers, I am sure they have a list of preferred therapist they use and join a support group and ask who the other members use.

So, just some of my thoughts:
First, you need to fully accept who and what you are. That means completely 100%, mind, body, and soul. Learn to love yourself. How can anyone else love you if you don’t love yourself first? Be prepared to be stared at, called everything from faggot to it and beyond, to be publically humiliated and degraded. It sucks but in today’s society, that is the way it is. Be prepared to lose everything. That means friends, family, job, savings, everything. You need to be prepared to survive because you believe 100% completely, mind, body, and soul that you are a woman. You don’t give a damn what anyone says, you are going to move on and be a success and if they don’t like it, they can kiss your ass.

Do not think just because you have HRT, FFS, BA, SRS or any other letter of the alphabet that it is going to cure all of your problems. It’s not. It might help control your gender dysphoria but that is it. If you have mental, physical, financial, or other problems, guess what? They are still going to be there when all is said and done. I have crossed over and can tell you, the grass is not greener over here. If anything it is brown and slightly muddy on a good day. Hell, I still have to take out the trash and pay bills! Where is a good sugar daddy when you need one?

It is all up to you. If you really want and need this, if you can be strong enough to endure all the crap, there is nobody or nothing that can ever stop you. Look deep into yourself. Decide if transition is for you or not. If it is, great, get started doing the things you can do today. If not, great, move on with your life and go be a success.

I have said here many times, transition is 98% mental and 2% the rest of the crap that goes along with it. Life is life. Go out there and make the best of it for you.

Marleena
11-13-2013, 01:58 PM
Wow did Jorja ever nail it! That should be a stickie for anyone that needs to take this path.

Rianna Humble
11-13-2013, 02:30 PM
For those of us who need to transition, the sentiments if not the exact words are seared into the very core of our being.

Staci K
11-14-2013, 08:00 PM
Thank you everyone for the great responses.

I know I'm at a crossroads in my life - totally baffled which way I should go.

One direction, I do miss my wife & daughter - we have been talking and there is the possibility of reconciling. However, reconciling means giving up any idea of transitioning - she will not accept being married to a woman. She can accept it if I'm a CD, but absolutely firm on the transitioning part.

The next direction, I envision getting past the hurt of losing my family and proceed with transitioning. I will admit, I've seen some at meetings that even make me raise an eyebrow. The last thing I want to to proceed and end up a freak for the rest of my life because I just never can become the beautiful woman I envision I am in my head.

The last direction, I find the pot of gold. Successfully transition. The results are better than I expected and I'm in a utopia state living my life as a woman.

Pondering it all is enough to make someone crazy. I know - in the evening when I'm alone I feel as though I'm losing my mine. I just feel like its a huge gamble - I might as well be playing Russian Roulette with a live bullet for the severity of what's at stake.

I've put out a couple calls to recommended gender identity therapists in my area. Hopefully one of them get get back in touch with me soon to help give me a different way of thinking to pull me out of this vicious cycle of thoughts.

Stacy :straightface:

Angela Campbell
11-14-2013, 08:45 PM
It has been said many times here but it fits. Do not transition unless you absolutely have to. If you absolutely have to, do not let anything get in your way.

How you are going to look should not be a factor in whether or not you transition. If you can decide not to because you cannot become the beautiful woman you see in your head, then you shouldn't. How you end up looking is a factor of how much time, energy, and money you are willing to spend, but should not be the determining factor in whether or not you transition. I too know some who make me "raise an eyebrow". Talk to them and see what advice they can give you. Ask them why they did it and how they went about it.

If you are at the point where you can face losing everything in your life....family, friends, job, money...everything...then is when you do something this severe.

It is not an easy decision and the idea of speaking with a good gender therapist is a very good one. Going into it under a vision of any "utopia" is a mistake.