PDA

View Full Version : How important is your hair?

Kate Simmons
11-13-2013, 08:11 AM
With women hair is more or less their "glory" as that is the first thing noticed about their appearance and they spend a lot of time with it and sometimes voice a lot of frustration concerning it as they want it "perfect". How about you as a CDer? Is your hair an important part of your appearance and presentation and do you spend a lot of time making sure it's "just right"? Regardless of whether it's your own hair styled in a feminie way or a wig how important is your hair to you and your female image? :)

Linda E. Woodworth
11-13-2013, 08:15 AM
I wear a wig and it is very important as it completes the look from male to female. Without my wig I'm just a guy in a dress.

linda allen
11-13-2013, 08:29 AM
I agree with the other Linda's post. Without the wig, I am just a guy in a dress.

michelle-
11-13-2013, 08:39 AM
My hair is important to me in both modes. I've had it long hippie style, more classic (1950's style, combed sideways), crew cut, and so on. I consider it important to my looks.

When dressed, I try to style it in a more feminine way. I can spend hours trying to get it right. So yes, it is very important to me.

Sara Jessica
11-13-2013, 08:40 AM
Having not worn a wig in at least the last four years or so, my hair has become an integral part of my being. I've gone out with it styled meticulously and also very basic wash/dry/no-style and feel equally at ease with myself. My hair is probably more important than makeup these days.

NicoleScott
11-13-2013, 08:42 AM
That's why it's called the crowning glory - it's the big difference it makes in the transformation process.
When I see a woman, the things I notice first are (but not in any order) shoes, face (makeup), and hair.
So it's not surprising that I focus on these as a CDer. I have my own idea of what looks good, which may be different than what others think, which is OK because I dress for the guy in the mirror. Yes, hair is important to me.

Kate Simmons
11-13-2013, 08:50 AM
I agree it is important. If I did have a full head of hair I would spend a lot of time styling and fussing with it. As it is now when I'm dressing, my wig is the next to last thing I put on but I still brush it or comb it until I'm satisfied with the look. If it's a Futura blend wig I fuss and style it with the curling iron. Girly stuff to be sure but pleasing nonetheless. :)

Lynn Marie
11-13-2013, 08:52 AM
Like Linda E said my wig completes the transition from guy with makeup and wearing a dress to well dressed classy old broad. My hair is always the last thing I do before jewelry. The result is profound and even a little awe inspiring!

BLUE ORCHID
11-13-2013, 09:00 AM
Hi Kate My hair is very important to me in both modes I'll be 71 in a couple weeks and still have a full head of hair
and it's always neatly combed and when I am dressed in femme my wig is always fixed just right.
I've always said that my hair is my Crowning Glory.

bridget thronton
11-13-2013, 09:24 AM
Hair is important (worry about it getting too thin someday - but grateful to have what I have now)

Audreyanne
11-13-2013, 09:34 AM
It is very important. I like buying wigs. But I do not spend much time combing or styling them. It is essentially just the way it comes out of the box.

CarlaWestin
11-13-2013, 10:24 AM
In my younger days I had a full head of thick, chestnut brown hair that grew halfway down my back at one point. Although I still have nice coverage, it's now thinned out quite a bit, as it's supposed to. When I'm fully dressed as Carla it feels so familiar and sexy to have hair again. I carefully comb out my wigs and get them looking just right. And then, with all of the makeup in place the hair gets positioned and that smile happens. Well, hello Miss Carla. Its been awhile.

Jackie7
11-13-2013, 11:06 AM
I wish I had hair to grow long! The wig is essential for my female appearance, I think I have eight of them but always a favorite, and yes, it is the last thing on and I do fuss with it when dressed. But then, in the Northeastern winter, I usually wear a hat when in drab. From the inside, I can't really tell which I am wearing and because it's almost always one or the other, it's stupidly easy to get it wrong until I happen to pass a mirror. Bald girl in a Stetson? Um, probably not. Guy in a girly wig, um no. Except I do have one extra-large hat that works nicely over a wig. Maybe that needs to be my everyday look, lol!

5150 Girl
11-13-2013, 11:11 AM
I'm a child of the 80's when big hair was the thing! I have hairpieces for BOTH sides! And yes, "ugly's" hair pieces are long styles to!

Beverley Sims
11-13-2013, 11:14 AM
Hair is my crowning glory.
You do have to have it...
But not on your face. :)

Martha G
11-13-2013, 11:38 AM
I am nearly slick bald.

I love when I have on a wig and hair.

Maria S
11-13-2013, 11:47 AM
Linda has it nailed. The wig is the final item that tranforms the shape of the male face to that of female.

Maria

KayleeTaylor
11-13-2013, 12:02 PM
My hair completes my transformation, I wouldn't be complete without my wigs. I have had short hair for years due to my previous occupation, but now, I am letting my natural hair grow out. It's almost shoulder-length now and I can't wait to start styling and playing with it :)

Kate Simmons
11-13-2013, 12:17 PM
H-m-m-m, The way things are going maybe I should have called this "Hair 101". :heehee::battingeyelashes::)

suchacutie
11-13-2013, 12:19 PM
It's right up there on top. My hair was one of the first serious discussions my wife and I had about style and matching body type/shape with clothes, makeup, and hair. Color, and style counts a lot to bring out or minimize one's features!

Rachael Leigh
11-13-2013, 12:34 PM
Since I don't have much hair of my own I would say for sure the hair completes the look. I've for now only have the one wig so I just have to deal with that. I've always been a hair person and love all the cute girls styles. The only place I hate hair is everywhere but on my head. Love having a smooth body everywhere

Alice B
11-13-2013, 12:37 PM
It is very important and a major factor in the female look. I wear wis and find it important to find wigs that fit my face structure. I have 4 wigs and select based upon the mood I'm in and clothing selection.

Stephanie47
11-13-2013, 12:42 PM
Time has taken its toll on the top of my head. A wig is essential for appearing as much like a woman as possible. The only hair I have is white, not grey. My wig is grey. Years ago I wore a blond wig to match my blond natural hair. As it began to turn a "dirty blond" I bought became a brunette. I've been thinking of going to some sort of salt and pepper shade.

As others have stated without the wig, I appear just as a man in a dress. As a man the loss of hair is no big deal.

Sarah Doepner
11-13-2013, 01:17 PM
Over the years I've been suffering more and more from male pattern sunburn. After I retired from my job where I had to keep my hair short I decided to let it grow and now I realize how terribly thin it has become. It's fun to play with but there is no way I'd be able to go out without a wig. My head, face, neck and shoulders all scream "Guy!" without a wig. I've found that even after all the attention to makeup, body shaping, nails, clothes and accessories, the magic doesn't happen until the wig goes on. It both conceals many of my guy cues and softens my overall appearance. The wig can't do it alone but in military terms, it is a force multiplier when used in concert with all the other tools and tricks in my crossdressing armory.

carhill2mn
11-13-2013, 01:20 PM
How my hair (wigs) look is important to me as I think hair is the final touch in my looking like a woman. I have many wigs and some are definitely "stay at home" wigs while there are others in which I feel fine when out in public.

Chickhe
11-13-2013, 01:27 PM
I am constantly amazed at how hair changes a person's look. A few of my kids grade school teachers change their hair often and when I go for parent teacher interviews I never remember them...takes me a few minutes to reconcile their facial features. I think if you have a very good natural looking wig it can be the deciding factor in how you are received.

kimdl93
11-13-2013, 01:29 PM
aside from the aforementioned value of "hair" in defining or completing a convincingly feminine look, I really want my hair (wig) to look as natural as possible and as appropriate for someone as possible.

Erica Marie
11-13-2013, 01:30 PM
To me hair is one of the most important things. Maybe its just me but wearing a wig makes me feel like I am just wearing a costume. Till the day my hair grows out to the point that I can style it I may never feel comfortable

Jodi
11-13-2013, 01:34 PM
The difference between a "guy in a dress" and "presentable/passable" is 90% the hair. A cheap wig is just that--CHEAP and will look it. An ill fitting or poorly styled wig shouts man in a dress.

My point--the hair is very important. It is one of the first things to be noticed by both men and women.

If you plan on going out in public, and you don't like the stares and snickers, put your money into your hair. That means a proper wig fitting at a shop, and knowing how to style and wear it.

Jodi

Jaymees22
11-13-2013, 02:25 PM
My hair is important to me as my head is very lumpy. I think I spend more time in male mode fussing with it. I use both my own hair and wigs in girl mode depending on the look I want that day. Jaymee

Cheryl T
11-13-2013, 04:53 PM
My hair is a very important part of my presentation. It is something that helps create the overall "look".
I don't fuss with it all the time, especially in public, but like my Visa, "I don't leave home without it".

Rachael Leigh
11-13-2013, 06:49 PM
When you say not to use a cheap wig, I understand but for me Im on a low budget CD since I don't have an understanding wife so I can't spend a lot on clothes not to mention buying a expensive wig. I want to be able to go out enfem with confidence and not just look like a guy in a dress however if I do look like I'm confidant does it matter. I mean yeah I want a nicer wig but it's just not in the budget

Kate Simmons
11-13-2013, 07:27 PM
The price of the wig does not really matter as much as the "moxie" that goes into fixing it Lee.:)

Sarasometimes
11-13-2013, 07:44 PM
Very important. Tomorrow I have an appointment for a shampoo and blow-dry with curls for my human hair wig. My most frequent outings are to salons for just such services. I wish I had enough hair left to use my own. Great question. To the timid almost all salons are TG friendly. You just need to call and ask if they can help you. Easily 8 out of 10 will welcome you!

ShriekCassandra
11-14-2013, 04:41 AM
I'd say it's a pretty big damn imperative considering the one wig I own seems to look worse and worse every time I wear it.

Jennifer in CO
11-14-2013, 09:40 AM
I'm remined of the Cowsill's song from the 60's ..."HAIR!" (google it if your to young to remember it)

When I transitioned in the 80's my hair was what helped me be "feminine". With a very girly style that was usually down around the bottom of my shoulder blades, at 6ft tall and usually a hint of breast showing no one could even remotely think I was male. When I transitioned back 85/86, a short-cut bob made presenting as either sex difficult but most people began to treat me as a "weird" guy. Back to short "guy" hair and most people treated me like a guy...even tho I had obvious breasts.

Hair is everything to the final presentation

Tina B.
11-14-2013, 10:17 AM
As another bald one, it's really important. With out it, I'm just a guy in a dress, but with one of my many wigs on, even with out makeup, I see a woman. I might still look like a guy in a dress to the rest of the world, but I see her.
How important, this last summer I bought 5 new wigs just trying to find the one that gave me the feeling that it really looked like it could have grown there.

Joan_CD
11-14-2013, 10:59 AM
To me my hair is one of the most important parts of feeling good in public. I'm not sure I could go out and be comfortable if I had to wear a wig. I tried it before I grew my hair out and I felt very self conscious. My hair is now past my shoulders and it gives me a (false?) sense of security.

mikiSJ
11-14-2013, 01:41 PM
I am fortunate that I have nearly all of my hair left at 67. I am not fortunate regarding my lack of styling skills, but I can learn.

Ms. Laura
11-14-2013, 01:51 PM
OMG yes, hair is of critical importance. I wish I could grow mine out but it's too thin in spots. (it used to be so pretty)

PretzelGirl
11-14-2013, 10:42 PM
I love messing with my hair and changing looks. Don't you touch my hair! :battingeyelashes:

S. Lisa Smith
11-14-2013, 10:43 PM
You bet!! I have been trying to find the perfect wig for a long time...

NathalieX66
11-14-2013, 10:57 PM
My advice to everyone is this:
If you don't have a full head of hair, or your situation doesn't permit you to grow long hair, then spend your money on a really good wig.

If you are fortunate to grow your own hair, then DO IT. .....I did, and am still doing it.

Hair is a woman's number one fashion accessory.

Brooklyn
11-14-2013, 10:59 PM
Well gee, I love hair so much, I'm making a new career out of it. So there!

Diane78
11-14-2013, 11:05 PM
Hair is probably more important than makeup. I have let my hair grow for nine months now and it keeps looking better all of the time. It is also accepted when I am my regular guy self. Lot's of men have long hair now. When I am 'Diane' I just let it go wherever it wants to. More fun that way.

AmyGaleRT
11-14-2013, 11:11 PM
I'm fortunate to be able to wear my own hair. It's after I've finished my face, and I take down my hair and start brushing it out, that I really see Amy emerge in the mirror.

It's getting about halfway down my back by now; I plan to let it keep growing if possible. I also like hair accessories such as headbands and barrettes, and have a whole case full of them.

- Amy

paulaloha
11-14-2013, 11:43 PM
I'm growing my own hair out right now, so it is definitely growing in importance for me. Since I'm having to take care of it and all, makes you think about it more.
I've now started to notice sometimes when I pull it back or flip it a certain way it looks really feminine and I do a double, then triple then quadruple take in the mirror. I LOVE seeing that slight flair of femininity in my hair!

I definitely agree that hair is one of the most important things to me. Even when I notice GG's, one of the first things I look at is their hair. It is typically one of the first things I notice about myself when dressed, and until recently I would see a buzz cut and it always made me sad. As others have said, you just look like a boy in a dress. Not that there is anything wrong with that. I would just rather look like a girl in a dress...

Ava Tryptyk
11-14-2013, 11:52 PM
My wig is very important and I wouldn't ever consider going out without it. In male mode I prefer to have short hair -- I need it to keep up my "professional" look, and also my natural hair just doesn't look that good when it's long. It gets wavy, curly, greasy, gets in my eyes, and is more of an annoyance that doesn't even look good. I also have somewhat of a receding hairline and am pretty sure I'll be bald at some point. So with that in mind, it's more productive for me to get used to wearing wigs than to try to do anything with my natural hair, and I'm perfectly fine with that.

Krystalina
11-15-2013, 12:06 AM
Very important for my self-image. Although I have yet to go fully CD(and I don't have the funds to right now), I've always wanted long hair of some kind, because let's face it...it is the ultimate symbol of feminity(hope I don't get in trouble with that statement:)).

Persephone
11-15-2013, 03:27 AM
I have been very blessed and still have shoulder-length natural hair. O.K., not exactly "natural" as I've taken finasteride for many years in order to keep it.

Once a month I spend a couple of hours at the beauty salon having it colored, trimmed, and styled.

Every day it takes about 10-15 minutes to spritz it with protective heat tamer spray, shape it with a curling iron or hot rollers (way longer if I use the hot rollers), spray it, comb it, and flounce it.

I dread every strand that comes out in the shower or that I find on my comb.

So yes, Kate, I'm high maintenance and my hair is very important to my appearance and presentation and to my self-concept.

Hugs,
Persephone.

Traceyjo
11-15-2013, 06:46 AM
I wear quite a lot of different wigs and the appearance of them is a top priority whenever I dress. To me they are such an important factor in how well I present myself as an attractive woman. I think a hairstyle makes an enormous difference to how feminine and goodlooking we appear, so choosing an appropriate wig and styling it to enhance our appearance needs lots of attention.

ellieparsons
11-15-2013, 09:49 AM
I don't know if its that important to me right now, but i'm currently letting my hair grow out, I've always had a buzz cut, 0 & 2. Just looking for something different.

sometimes_miss
11-15-2013, 08:03 PM
It was very important; how much, I never really knew until I did something about the loss of it. For years, well ever since my teens I never had the long beautiful hair that a girl does. I never thought much about it; even though, to me, long beautiful hair is one of the things that to me screams female more than any other single thing. So it wasn't until I purchased my first wig, and put it on after dressing up completely in my favorite outfit, that the long and pretty tresses finished transforming my own image of myself, that I understood how it would affect my own self identification as female during the times when I crossdressed from then on.

JanetWood
11-19-2013, 11:24 AM
To me its important, having lost most of my hair by the time I was twenty-five. Now I have to relearn styling hair, and use a curling iron to boot!

gailprice
11-19-2013, 11:30 AM
Beyond belief. It's sooooo important :)

Brittany CD
11-19-2013, 02:39 PM
The wig is the most important part to me. It is what makes the difference between being a dude in a dress and being a girl. And my wig is always long hair, never short, that's really important to me

Nadine Spirit
11-19-2013, 02:57 PM
My hair is pretty important. I have gone through more wigs than anything else. And currently my wig is the single most expensive item I wear, well except for my new wedding ring of course.

CynthiaD
11-19-2013, 04:46 PM
I used to have long pretty hair, but now it's in a landfill someplace. I love my wig(s).

KaceyR
11-22-2013, 02:21 PM
For me it's very important... Mainly because since ~27 or so my receding hairline and general baldness had taken off. (Thanks Grandpa..and Dad.. Stupid genes :) ). Pretty much have shaved fully bald last 12-13 years. so I'm wigging out..
Only thing is... It's a bit of a shock getting used to having any hair around the face (since being used to zero hair).
And I'm having to relearn all sorts of basics. I'll probably just pretty much keep the wigs as-is and not do any odd styling on them. Only issue is storage... (New to CD and already have 3 'quality' wigs..won't be the only ones either.. :) )

SarahLynn
11-22-2013, 03:10 PM
When I had long hair it was the most important aspect of my presentation regardless of weither I was dressed male or female. As a rule i spent a fair sum of money and time to keep it looking good. If I were to grow it long again I would also spend a fair sum in upkeep.

SarahLynn

ScarletSloane
11-22-2013, 03:36 PM
As many, I wish I could grow my hair out and be able to use it in either style, but sadly am attacked by a receding hairline and slight baldness (even though I still keep my hair long and take care of it the best I can). :( That being said though, being also a fan of anime and cosplay, this opens up MANY glorious styles and looks, depending on my mood for the day. ^.^

NathalieX66
11-22-2013, 04:07 PM
Hair is a woman's number one accessory.
I gave up the wig a year and a half ago, and now my own hair brushes my collarbone. Sometimes I dye it to hide the grey streaks. I would like to get highlights in the near future.

robindee36
11-22-2013, 04:33 PM
Before the wig goes on, the mirror reflects a guy in a dress. Add the wig (maybe makeup too) and there is a transformation. Now its a CD in a dress.

Just doesn't reflect well without the wig.

Hugs, Robin

Iris_Luna
11-22-2013, 05:17 PM
I have one question: How do you pick up the right wig?

NathalieX66
11-22-2013, 05:24 PM
Answer: Pick up a wig that accurately reflects your own true hair and complexion. That will make you look more natural and real.

If you want to glam it up and wear something sexy, that's ok too.

Be yourself as you see yourself.

ArleneRaquel
11-22-2013, 05:31 PM
To me the most important thing in regards to the selection of a wig is does it match your complexion. I have light skin, so I'm usually a blond or a redhead, though I look OK as a brunette also.

Iris_Luna
11-22-2013, 05:57 PM
Answer: Pick up a wig that accurately reflects your own true hair and complexion. That will make you look more natural and real.

If you want to glam it up and wear something sexy, that's ok too.

Be yourself as you see yourself.

But, i need to buy one using internet... It's harder to know what fits good =/

Lori Kurtz
11-22-2013, 07:25 PM
When I dressed up, a wig was obviously a critical element in creating the female look. But to answer the question using the word "glory" as you used it, I'd have to say that my sense of the gloriousness of my femininity was the realistic appearance of what filled my bra--even though my "breasts" were totally fake.
"

bobbimo
11-23-2013, 10:25 AM
I've been growing my hair for the past 2 years and finally have it to the point where Bobbi pops into the mirror first, and I have to shift gears to find Bob.
Its wonderful to start out with a definite feminine part that's always there first. and quickly gets better with a dash of makeup and earrings.
And I do spend WAY more time on my hair now than I ever did as a boy.
Life is wonderful
Bobbi

AmyGaleRT
11-23-2013, 06:43 PM
I like the way that sounds, Bobbi. I sleep with my hair down, and recently I've been sleeping in ladies' tricot pajamas, pink with nice feminine detailing in the top. When I wake up in the morning, go into the bathroom, and look in the mirror, I see more of Amy than I do of my male self. It feels good to be that pretty, that early in the day. :)

- Amy

Dora
11-23-2013, 07:02 PM
When I do eventually buy a wig I prefer long hair type instead of curly, very soon will start buying after I visit Denver for a makeover.

BumpinBumpin
11-24-2013, 01:57 PM
Very! Been growing it since I was 14, it was down to my bum, then recently I got about 6 inches cut off for my sisters wedding. Could have cried ( I kind of did, but don't tell anyone) Its still down to my waist though, great at this time of year for keeping you warm.

MarissaSynth
11-24-2013, 02:08 PM
My hair is always turquoise and it takes so long to get it how I love it Its probably 90% of my look :P

cheryl
11-24-2013, 06:30 PM
I think the hair is extremely important. Like others have said just a guy in a dress without it. But the whole look is a hard thing to achieve, at least for me.

Paula T
11-24-2013, 10:33 PM
as its almost the last thing I do to make myself into the girl I want to be. Because before the wig goes on and I look in the mirror all I see is a guy with lots of makeup on.:o The very last thing I do is to either paint my nails or put on my false nails. And the hair must be combed and look as perfect as possible.:)

robindee36
11-25-2013, 09:26 AM
I have one question: How do you pick up the right wig?

The best way is to explore the various colors and styles. Light, medium, dark can all work, just what you are most flattered by. Likewise with the length. Unfortunately this is severely limited when your only shopping location is the internet. If at all possible try to find a wig shop where you can spend a few hours trying on different hair with the input of an experienced fitter. Otherwise, its a crap shoot and can leave you with a lot of hair you never wear.

Even if you can get the color and length right, there are different sizes and shapes of cap that can turn a lovely wig into a poorly fitting 'critter' on your head. Help is the best recommendation I can suggest.

Hugs, Robin

AmandaPanda
12-04-2013, 02:00 AM
i think hair is the most important its what im most concerned about when i go out, ive upgraded a few times over the years from a cheap party wig to lace front but i felt even with a large size wig they dont fit right or im just paranoided but i decided to grow out my hair and i can almost put it in a ponytail and i have that Jessica Simpson ponytail extender and bangs clip so in a few more inches ill be ready to get out there again stress free or as stress free as any girl can be in public
the second most important thing is breast forms i just to use the tear drop ones that needed a pocketbra but i just ordered the adhesive triangle ones so ideally i can show a little cleavage now since most tops are designed that way.

AmyGaleRT
12-04-2013, 02:41 AM
Amanda, I believe it's totally worth the effort to grow it out. Mine reaches down almost to my bra band now, and it flows so nicely over my shoulders when I take it down from the ponytail I usually keep it in in guy mode.

If you can, once it's long enough, go to an actual salon en femme to get it trimmed. I did; it was one of the most feminine experiences of my life! :)

- Amy

Kristina_nolagirl
12-05-2013, 01:13 PM
Hair is everything! The right wig can make or break you!