PDA

View Full Version : "Me and my skirt" blog

Aileen
01-01-2006, 03:09 AM
Here's some entries from a defunct blog called "Me and my skirt," written by a GG who likes to talk about her skirts. Great reading!

Thursday, August 18, 2005
A lesson in ladylikeness
So with the construction we are having to use the outside staircase. The open air staircase with open steps so you can see directly through the stairs above.

This presents a compelling problem of my life long goal of decency. I had the scary moment of my vice principal (who is my age at least) mentioning that skirts and open air stairs are a embarrassment waiting to happen.

So add to my skirtability skills the art of walking up stairs while strategically gathering the skirt to prevent any indecent exposures to those below.

Maybe I will have a small class with the other female teachers (since the majority are female) on this art.
posted by Katie @ 10:11 AM 8 comments

Tuesday, August 16, 2005
Less than 24 hours
I got a taste of the skirt- life last night. We had an all school meeting with all of our parents and I had to break out the skirt, hose, and heels. It was good to know I still had the skirtability skills as I ran up and down a flight of stairs about 10 times because I kept forgetting things.

Then the monsoon happened. As I drove home last night I realized I was caught up in a hurricane (way up here in north Texas). So I did what any girl with skirt-skills would do. I pulled off the shoes and hose and ran barefooted through my flooded yard to the door. See I have skillz and I think fast.

Well, we'll see how the skirtability stands up to massive construction at my school tomorrow. It should be interesting to see how the heels navigate gluey floors and the fact that I have no desk so I may be working off the floor for the next few days.

Wahoo skirts rule my wardrobe again.
posted by Katie @ 3:04 PM 6 comments

Wednesday, August 10, 2005
One week
The seven day countdown has begun. I'm reveling in my pants for a few more days until the skirts come out in full force. I actually thought yesterday that I would have had an easier time running up the stairs in my skirts and heels then I did in my floppy sandals. That is when the sickness has consumed you, when you know you are more agile in skirts and heels.
posted by Katie @ 1:42 PM 8 comments
Tuesday, August 02, 2005
T minus 15 days and counting
Two weeks from tomorrow my skirts will come out of retirement and take the forefront of my wardrobe. With all the fanfare of a shuttle launch I am now in prep mode for S-day (skirt day). I am inspecting the skits, evaluating their position in the skirt hierarchy, and cleaning all those that have been packed away since May.

Why all the obsession with skirts you may ask. Good question. I'm not even sure. It just seems like a random enough topic to give me plenty of fodder for a post every so often.

Now rest assured some action and intrigue will return to Me and My Skirt as I navigate the hazards of the school day and my normal clumsy life.
posted by Katie @ 12:07 PM 7 comments

Tuesday, July 26, 2005
If you have ants in your pants, then what is in the skirt?
My skirts are awakening from their summer hibernation. Now I realize that most animals hibernate in the winter all warm and snuggly with their fur (I am picturing big grizzly bears because I cannot think of another animal that hibernates at the moment - thinking at the moment not hibernating at the moment - big misplaced modifiers in this run on sentence).

So my skirts are waking up, stretching, airing out and realizing that once again they will reclaim their seat at the top of my wardrobe hierarchy.

If you are a first time visitor to Me and My Skirt then you need some background: I wear skirts five out of seven days. Not because I particularly like skirts but because I am an obedient employee and my boss says wear a skirt everyday so I dutifully wear skirts. AND HOSE. Yes I wear a skirt and nylons/hose everyday at work. I also now will wear skirts two nights a week for a bible study that I am discussion leader in.

It is ironic that I have two things in my life that require me to wear skirts. This has caused me to have a skirtdiction and have skirtvision wherever I go. If I step into a store the first thing I notice are the skirts. Are they school appropriate, are they shaped to highlight my figure (or better yet not make me look like I’m wearing a muumuu skirt or squeezing my body into a slim tube of fabric), is the skirt the proper length, does it require special shoes, do I have at least three tops that will go with this skirt. All this information travels through my brain at lightening speed as I survey the skirtoptions.

But back to the skirts I now own. They know that they will soon be worn. Every time I open my closet I can tell they have been meeting and discussing the future wear they will encounter. They are calling dibs on who gets to be worn first, who will survive the annual reevaluation of whether I should keep them, who will be replaced with a newer model or style. This I know because at night I can hear them whispering, I can see the automatic light go on in my closet even though the door is shut as they have their so-called secret meetings.

So here come the skirts, there go the pants (except of course on weekends and the MINUTE I walk through the door in the evening). Me and My Skirt is back in full motion and they are celebrating.
posted by Katie @ 3:15 PM 15 comments

Friday, July 15, 2005
Summer Skirtability
Wow it has been way too long since I posted here but someone keeps commenting anonymously and I thought I should update my lone reader on my skirt and my summer.

Amazingly enough I have become a skirty time of gal. Even though I get to wear pants during the summer at my job my skirts call out to me. I enjoy the girliness feel of them. The light and airyness of wearing a skirt. And well they make up a majority of my wardrobe so they are always a significant option when I play fashion show in the morning trying to pick out an outfit.

In fact yesterday I wore a new skirt with heels to work and I was pleasantly surprised that I still have the skirtability and heelability that I treasure. I was running up and down stairs, whipping around corners, and doing the other wild things I do with no thought that I am balancing on two to three inch heels.

So my dear skirts and my solo reader I still have a special place in my heart for my skirts and look forward to thier daily return in a month.

Also next year I will be required to wear skirts on two evenings so I'm a full fledged skirty gal.
posted by Katie @ 11:54 AM 2 comments

Tuesday, April 05, 2005
Shoes move to the forefront
Today my shoes will get a little bit of a shout out. Or more of a death threat. Wow is some internet scanning device going to spot those two words together and put we on a watch list. That would be interesting since I am the most boring person in the world, so secret governmental agency watch away and then offer me a job watching other people, or any job please.

Back to the shoes. I am a responsible person. So responsible that I watched the weather report and noticed that rain storms are predicted for tonight and since I will not be getting home until late I thought it would be smart to bring in my deck chairs so they didn't get soaked (or more likely blown away since the winds roars over the plains of my backyard - actual plains or more aptly defined as ranch land - I am surrounded by cattle where I live).

So as I come back inside from my responsible deed I catch my heel on the threshhold of the door and proceed to rip my foot from my shoe. This of course causes damage - I had a blister on my pinkie toe that decided to become a bleeding blister. So there I am walking out the door on my way to work (skirt, hose (I first typed that hoes - oops), and heels) and now I have a bleeding pinkie toe. It was a gusher. So now I have to rationalize taking off the hose to apply a bandaid. I decided to just place the bandaid over the hose and go with it.

So when I get to work I decide to remove the bandaid and notice that there is at least a pint of blood in that bandaid and another pint has spread over my pinkie and created a nice red stain in my hose. How in the world can a little pinkie toe bleed so much? So now I am limping around the school with my hose a nice shade of red at the toe region and a bleeding blister that happens to hit at the seam of the shoe.
posted by Katie @ 10:30 AM 1 comments

Rikki Elisabeth
01-01-2006, 08:53 AM
Half of the fun of being a woman, at least for me, is wearing a skirt. It is interesting watching men out of the corner of your eyes as you go up or down an escalator or climb stairs. Truckers absolutely LOOVVVEEE it when you drive in a skirt...for some reason it just "seems" to move a little higher exposing more leg [at first I thought the skirt was doing it, then I figured it out - I was doing it! Bad Rikki!]

Ohhhh, before I sign off on this one....the air blowing up your thighs is incredibly refreshing.