PDA

View Full Version : T*oblivious?

Stephanie Kay
01-01-2006, 01:08 PM
Anyone here use this term? I think it's pretty accurate. Here's an example of the public being T*oblivious.

A couple of springs ago I was driving up the Mississippi River valley on the Wisconsin side going to dinner with some T*girlfriends in Bay City and loving every minute of it. The trees were just beginning to leaf out and the spring smells added to the romance that Stephanie was having with the world in that moment.

I pulled up in front of the restaurant about five minutes early and noticed that my friends had not yet arrived or had already gone in. I checked my make-up and hair one last time in the rearview mirror and appreciated both my inner and outer beauty. I stepped from my van and straightened my skirt and as I turned to walk to the entrance of the restaurant, the door swung open and out burst six teenage couples, giggling, vibrant, and very well-dressed in tuxedoes and evening gowns. Ah, yes, 'twas spring and prom time in the midwest!! As I walked past the group, we exchanged glances, smiles and hello's. I wondered what they were thinking. No one did a double take or made any comment as they piled into their cars.

I know I was thinking about my proms 35 years ago in Chicago, still envious of the beautiful prom dresses and soft creamy skin and elaborate hairdos. The young girls all looked so lovely, then AND now. I even wondered if any of the guys in their sharp but drab black and white formal wear were having fantasies about exchanging clothes with their pretty dates. Hey, that was the case for at least one rather ordinary looking guy in Chicago in 1965 and it could certainly be the case here in western Wisconsin today! At least I wore a "bleeding madras" tux (Oh, God, remember those? At least my date thought I looked cool!). These were surprisingly pleasant memories for me and I silently wished them all a delicious prom experience as I entered the restaurant. Maybe my presence added one more interesting story to their memorable night of fun. I hope so.

But as I was sitting at the table sipping a glass of white zin waiting for my friends to arrive (they were "fashionably" late) I started to think about if I had been noticed at all. Maybe I'm not such a "big deal?" Recently some of my transgendered friends started using the term "T*oblivious" when they are out and about. This term refers to the fact that the world is getting used to rubbing elbows with us. Either they don't notice us or it's not a big deal or even any kind of deal at all! That's been my experience over the past several years as Stephanie and I love it. Leave me alone and let me enjoy my femininity, thank you. Thank you for being T*oblivious.

You experienced crossdressers know what I mean? Listen up you newbies! No need to be too nervous when dressed up out in public! Most of the public is T*oblivious! Really! :)

GypsyKaren
01-01-2006, 02:02 PM
Hi Stephanie

I really have to agree with you on this. I find that when I go out the majority of people I come into contact with pay absolutely no attention to me at all. Most people are to wrapped up in their own thoughts and problems and don't even look my way. If I do notice someone looking at me or towards me I give them a great big smile and keep on going about my business. In the vast majority of cases they smile right back at me, only occasionally do I get a weird look.

The only real problems I've ever had was being giggled at by teen-age girls, they're by far the hardest to fool and can read you in a glance. It really doesn't bother me at all, I figure I probably made their day, so I get a pretty good laugh out of it too. What I do regret are all of the wasted years I spent hiding, to afraid to step out into the light. Now that I've been going out for almost a year now, I see that my fears were baseless, and I have grown so much because I'm finally being the real me.

GypsyKaren

BeckyAnderson
01-01-2006, 03:18 PM
I'd like to relate an incident that just recently occured ith me. I and four other girls went to dinner, a movie and then to a diner for coffee, tee and chit chat on a Saturday evening this past October. Dinner was great, no one paid us any attention, even the waiter remarked, "are you ladies ready to order?" The movie theater was also a wonderful experience with no one noticing any of us. After the movie we went to the diner for coffee and I had a headache coming on so I decide to walk out to my pickup and get some aspirins. On the way out, there were two teenaged couples who had apparently just come from a costume party as they were still in their costumes. As I passed by, one of the teenage girls look up at me and she smiled saying, "Nice costume." I stopped momentarily, looked into her eyes, smiled and proudly replied, "it's not a costume." She smiled back at me and simply said, "Cool." That made my whole day. I felt great!

This wasn't so much a case of T*oblivious but more a case of a change of thinking by some in our society towards crossdressers.

Hugs,
Becky

Butterfly Bill
01-01-2006, 04:12 PM
Agree wholeheartedly. It's been 36 years since Stonewall, and now there are queers on TV. If you act like it is normal, 99% of people will treat you like it is. If you skulk around like you have something to be ashamed of, they will act like something is wrong with you. You get back what you put out.

And sometimes the giggles are giggles of approval. For evey one dude who yells "faggot" thru a car window while passing by, there are 30 women who smile at me approvingly.