PDA

View Full Version : marsh harrier: transvestite raptor

mykell
11-21-2013, 09:13 AM
this being a day of remembrance thought i would share this ,

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn21138-zoologger-the-only-crossdressing-bird-of-prey.html#.Uo4Tzif6aSo ,

found it interesting. maybe we have this dormant trait and since its not used since the prehistoric times we are channeling it so it will not be lost.

Danni Renee
11-21-2013, 08:45 PM
Interesting story. Leaves lot to question though about the genetics of the birds.

Danni

donnalee
11-22-2013, 06:30 AM
I thought this the most interesting part of the article:
"There must be some advantage to mimicking females," says Mougeot, otherwise the female-like males would have died out. But he says it's not yet clear exactly what that advantage is.

LelaK
11-22-2013, 12:08 PM
I thought this the most interesting part of the article:
"There must be some advantage to mimicking females," says Mougeot, otherwise the female-like males would have died out. But he says it's not yet clear exactly what that advantage is.
Obviously, the advantage is that their lives are less boring and, besides, it keeps the males on their toes mentally. Those who aren't sharp fall for the impersonators and the dummies of the species don't reproduce more dummies. Apparently, the impersonators do reproduce though. Right? That must mean that they don't fool the ladies.