PDA

View Full Version : Home Improvement Projects and HRT

Anne2345
11-24-2013, 05:53 PM
Less than a month away from being on HRT for a year now, I can honestly say that I really underestimated how much brute, physical strength I would lose this quickly. Looking back on it, I also recognize just how much for granted I took my previous physical strength, and my ability to move large, heavy items and such.

I mean, if something needed to be done - BAM - I did it. No sweat, no problem. It was just the way it was, and has always been.

Now, however, the game has changed. It's changed a lot, in fact. Certain things I could previously do with ease and little effort now present physical challenges that I have not encountered in this manner before. Picking up heavy things is no longer easy. It's hard, in fact. There are even things now that I simply would not even attempt to do by myself now for fear of physical injury that I would not have thought twice about before.

The thing is, though, that I really enjoy tackling home improvement projects. I am a handy person, and I take pride and feel a sense of accomplishment when I complete a job well done.

But going into HRT, I can see that I completely failed to prioritize my to-do list. I did not take into account, as I should have, that I would begin to progressively lose more and more strength. Rationally, I recognized that I would, but for some reason, I did not believe that it would effect me, or my ability to do certain things. I guess, in a way, I just didn't believe that my ability to do anything I was capable of performing at the time would be compromised or diminished to the extent it has, and that what loss did occur would be no big deal.

As I have been so many times before over recent years, I was completely dead wrong about this. So if I had this to do all over again, I would take the time to prioritize my projects by degree of manual labor and strength required, and complete the more physically labor intensive projects first.

And why am I writing about this now (or writing about this at all), you may ask?

I am writing about this because the thick-skulled knucklehead that I can be, knowing that I would have difficulty moving certain things in the house, yet refusing to acknowledge my "new" limitations, I went about and hurt my back pretty good recently.

Some three weeks later, it is still giving me problems, but it is on the mend and healing nicely (finally). Had I properly prioritized those things I knew I was going to do, such as this project, though, I could have avoided the entire fiasco by simply doing this one a year ago. Had I done so, it wouldn't have been a problem, and it would have gotten completed injury-free.

But nope. Just like everything else, I have to learn things the hard way it seems.

So those of you considering HRT that have to-do lists - don't be me. Instead, be smart about it, plan intelligently, and stay out of harm's way.

Now if I could just remember where I left my dag-blam heating pad, walking cane, and pain killers . . . . Ugh. My back hurts, I say! It hurts!! :sad:

Angela Campbell
11-24-2013, 06:14 PM
Silly girl! Those are the things you find a big strong man to come and do for you!

vallerie lacy
11-24-2013, 06:29 PM
Sounds a lot like what I'm going through, getting old. An orthopedic surgeon told me years ago when I hurt my back, to try cold as opposed to hot on my back. Heat makes things expand and cold makes them contract. I gradually turn down the hot water at the end of my shower and let the cold water run on the small of my back as long as I can stand it. Works for me. Good luck with your project. When you're done would you mind renovating my kitchen?

Barbara Ella
11-24-2013, 06:45 PM
Yep, surely a if only I knew then what I know now. Throw the double whammy on HRT and figure in getting old (67) and the loss of strength is increased tremendously, and can be embarrassing. You can't change the HRT, no, you CAN"T, but just don't get old dear.

Barbara

LeaP
11-24-2013, 08:37 PM
I appreciate the change in strength, particularly upper body. I'm simply not capable of getting weights overhead that I once could. I could probably build back up, but not to the same potential. I'm not talking about super-fit capability anyway. These are weights I have been able to deal with since my twenties.

Funny, though - I never thought of you as thick skulled ...

[edit] I forgot to add that you're getting old!

KellyJameson
11-24-2013, 10:44 PM
Sometimes I have noticed that men are often impatient with women and I think this is partly the impatience of the strong with the weak so it is also seen with the parent toward the child.

The interesting thing about life though is usually when you have a weakness in one area it will be offset by a strength in another area.

As people age they are confronted with the loss of many assumed strengths such as physical strength and mental dexterity so transitioning has certain experiences that would have been known in old age anyway, such as the loss of physical strength and elements of security.

You also have to develop a heightened awareness of violence being directed at you even though this varies from person to person and place to place.

Transitioning speeds up the problem solving needed to insure survival and limit stress so it is as much a mental exercise as a physical experience.

You lose and you gain and seeing what you gain will give you insight in how to temper the losses as solving the mundane problems of living.

It will be easy or hard to the degree that you try to hold onto what was. Just like what the elderly must address if they do not want to live frustrated, bitter and fearful.

Change comes with consequences but also opportunity.

chelyann
11-24-2013, 11:01 PM
hi
im the big strong man :)
OOPs sorry im contemplating HRT in the next year
thanks for the heads up
im going to check my todo list

bas1985
11-25-2013, 01:09 AM
I think that women are not that "weaker" than men, but they use their strength wiser. Probably you have not (yet) developed the mental attitude that will give you the opportunity to make (almost) the same things as before...

I remember my grandmother, in the South of Italy... she carried in her 60s a box of tomatos to the market on her head. It weighted between 40-50kg, (100lb) and she needed only the initial effort to carry it on her head. She asked the help of her husband. But, as the box was on her head, she was independent, hands free (she had equilibrium, like all women in that place) and she was able to walk to the market 5km away (around 3 miles) without any more help, with the box on her head, and maybe me, as a child, strolling around.

I suppose that my grandfather would not be able to do THAT, probably he would have been able to carry the box with the strength of the arms but not with the equilibrium on his head.

It's different. So it's true that women are weaker, but they have different ways to handle that weakness.

I Am Paula
11-25-2013, 09:28 AM
There is an upside.
I had 60 sheets of drywall to load into my van at Home Depot. A young hunk came right over and started loading them. I just stood and watched him, maybe fixed my lipstick.
As a guy, I would have loaded them myself, or helped.

Angela Campbell
11-25-2013, 09:35 AM
That is what I was talking about Paula. If you are going to live as a woman now it is time to begin to think and act as one. No reason we cannot do projects, lord knows I love to do them as well, but there are certain things a woman does differently than a man and we need to get used to it.

I like it myself. I expect someone to open the door for me, to lift heavy things for me, to not expect me to be a man.

Besides there are ways to move heavy objects without brute force.....wheels and levers. (and big strong men)

Yeah I know, I have little use for men in general but they have to be here for something, right?

Jorja
11-25-2013, 10:28 AM
As you advance into transition a couple things will happen. One, you will learn what exercises you can do to gain some of your strenth back with out putting on all of the muscle. You will never be as strong as you once were but you can gain back a lot of it. Two, you will learn that yes, you have lost strenth and are not as strong as you once were. Enjoy some cute hunky guy helping you out. However, never expect it from anyone and be prepared to do it yourself.

Chloe Renee
11-25-2013, 08:48 PM
I was amazed at the strength that I lost. Case in point was when I moved to my new house I had to get some guy friends to help carry the couches upstairs for me. When I moved them downstairs I did it by myself no worries.
Thankfully, being a yogi has served me well and I have regained some of what I lost through repeated arm balances.
Just two weeks ago, I lifted a 2.0 VW engine minus cly head but with full accessory drive to load it into a the trunk of another parts vw I was sending to scrap.
I would have called some boys over, but where I now live my male friends are all skinny hipster boys. I can sadly out lift most of them.

kimdl93
11-25-2013, 09:27 PM
I am not on HRT, but I can empathize. As I'm getting older, especially in the past decade, I really noticed the loss of strength. Stuff that used to be easy, just isn't anymore.

Chickhe
11-26-2013, 01:07 AM
I have the opposite problem...I want to look good CDing, but it seems like if I lift up a feather my arms want to take on muscle mass. Urugh.

Ann Louise
11-26-2013, 01:13 AM
:daydreaming: This cute hunky guy thing is sounding better and better. Please, tell me more...

Jorja
11-26-2013, 09:52 AM
If you are into them, Ann, some of them can explode your universe.

Badtranny
11-26-2013, 10:19 AM
As a strapping 230lb dude, I could lift my 220lb dirtbike onto a stand. After 4 years on HRT I strain to put a mountain bike onto a rack.

I have literally a fraction of the strength I once had.

I suppose I could work out and get some of it back, but why would I want muscular arms? I'm trying to eliminate masculine tells, not encourage them.

Anne2345
11-26-2013, 10:31 AM
Enjoy, uh, um, I mean, use the assistance of big strong cute hunky men, huh? I love the way some of y'all think! :daydreaming:

I suppose I could work out and get some of it back, but why would I want muscular arms? I'm trying to eliminate masculine tells, not encourage them.

Exactly! And good riddance, I say! :D

Maryanne_sa
11-29-2013, 08:17 AM
And on a lighter note, we have to be careful with our nails as well. :-)