PDA

View Full Version : Progesterone. Yes or no ?

Kalista Drake
11-25-2013, 11:30 AM
Hi all !! If anyone could help that would be great! I have heard that Progesterone can help with breast growth, and also heard that it can stunt your breast growth. So which is it? I have been on HRT (just Estrogen and Spiro) for almost 4 years now and just wondering if Progesterone is the right thing for me to add. Thanks for any replies. :battingeyelashes:

Angela Campbell
11-25-2013, 11:59 AM
Some doctors say it helps with breast formation and my Dr did prescribe it to me. It has some drawbacks such as increased appetite, and some hair growth, and sometimes depression. I stopped for a while due to depression but I am back on it now. It won't stunt breast development but there is not clear evidence it helps it either. It is a female hormone which rises during pregnancy when breast growth is the most prominent.

After 4 years of HRT if breast growth is not sufficient you will have to look into breast augmentation most likely. Progesterone will likely not make a huge difference at this point.

Kalista Drake
11-25-2013, 12:02 PM
Thanks Angela! Do you cycle it or just take it every day?

LeaP
11-25-2013, 12:07 PM
One of the never ending questions.

In GGs, progesterone stimulates the growth of milk producing glands and ducts, and does (esp. during pregnancy) increase breast size. The decreases in progesterone levels later in life causes those tissues to shrink - one of the factors in losing breast firmness and shape.

Effects in trans women are reported all over the place, though I have read more supporting it to nudge extra growth than not. Some who have been on progesterone and stop report lactation for a time. Some doctors, including mine, prefer to add a bit of progesterone in lieu if increasing estrogen dosage.

Progesterone carries its own set of risks, which have to be considered on an individual basis.

Angela Campbell
11-25-2013, 12:07 PM
Every day, there is not much sense in cycling as you do not want to have the levels of a premenopausal woman but closer to levels of puberty. At least until the therapy has done all it can do, which at 4 years is probably the case. I take all medications daily.

Remember as long as there are testicles there will be less and slower results than those who have had SRS or an orchi. It seems that it does make a difference as well as the type of administration of the estrogen. Some ways are more effective then others.

Remember there is really no standards on HRT application and it is best to do what the Dr says since he knows so much more than we ever will.

Kalista Drake
11-25-2013, 12:17 PM
Thanks ladies! :) Actually, Angela, my Dr. knows less about transitioning than I do! Everything I have learned has been from other TS's. So thanks again!

LeaP
11-25-2013, 12:36 PM
That's not unusual, Kalista. This is all off-label use and not taught in med. school.

One reason that results for trans women may be all over the place is that progesterone receptors are sexually dimorphic. It's likely that a much lower proportion of us (vs. GGs) have particularly active P receptors. You also have to watch what you wish for ... P, like E is associated with cancer risk. One has to wonder if a modest level of receptor activation might be preferable.

Angela Campbell
11-25-2013, 12:39 PM
Lea, I am very modest about my P receptor and it hasn't been activated in years.

Or maybe I misunderstood. I'll go look that up.

jackielou
11-25-2013, 01:37 PM
i was on progesterone for 6 months with no results and my doc said it was really not the main hormone in breast growth mine came from testosterone shots that developed into gynecomastia and then i went on estrogen to get the growth i wanted i still get the the T shot every 2 weeks and my lady doc is aware of my estrodiol and she is OK with it and ask me if i wanted to raise the dose we are waiting on blood work now to see my E level picture is all me no padding or forms

Angela Campbell
11-25-2013, 01:40 PM
There isn't a chance in hell anyone is going to give me testosterone. It is normally understood that the cause of gynomastica is usually the lack of testosterone such as using anti androgens.

The most effective way to increase breast growth other than BA is estrogen levels being much higher than the testosterone levels.

LeaP
11-25-2013, 02:34 PM
Me either, Angela! OMG!

Jackielou - you didn't indicate when you started E, but the idea that T caused your breast growth is novel to say the least. I suppose its possible if your system was metabolizing a lot of it to E, though you would still have plenty of T also ... but then, why would you need to start E and supplement T?

And supplementing T while taking E is unusual anyway. I just don't get what you (or your doctor) are trying to accomplish. The only reason a trans woman might take T supplements would be to get a low level of T in the ballpark of the normal female range for libido purposes. But if that were the case, you wouldn't be metabolizing T into E in sufficient amounts for feminization ... because you wouldn't have had sufficient T to begin with.

Confused ... :strugglin

Marleena
11-25-2013, 02:55 PM
I was going to say something but have totally lost my train of thought here.:)

Ann Louise
11-25-2013, 05:36 PM
FWIW, I, too, heard about some favorable breast development being possible with it, but my endo wouldn't prescribe it for me due to my age (60), citing uncertainty in the research concerning blood clotting. Don't know the case for younger women. He did go ahead with finasteride for some additional help on my hair growth (with favorable results, I might add). I'm just going to save up some sick leave and go for BA in a couple years as the HRT plays out its hand. For now it's just me and my "sporty little B's" (a quip by a dear friend) that will have to make do. :-) Ann

Angela Campbell
11-25-2013, 05:38 PM
I'm kinda fond of my "sporty little B's"

Marleena
11-25-2013, 06:13 PM
Oh yeah.. progesterone. My Endo includes it in all of his scripts for TS patients. I'm using prometrium without any side effects so far* knock on wood*.

Kalista Drake
11-25-2013, 07:05 PM
Thanks Marleena and all the rest of you too! I was prescribed Prometrium, but only because I asked for it. My Dr. was like "Oh yeah, that might help too". She gave me no warning of any side effects though... I will start taking it again, tonight. It makes me a little drowsy, I think...

The only reason I stopped taking it was because I heard that it can stunt breast growth, but now I see that is a myth. :)

Oh Btw, Did any of you Progesterone takers get any vivid dreams while taking it? I have had some very vivid dreams when I was still taking it! It was great! I happily look forward to more great dreams! :) Thanks again, ladies!

Angela Campbell
11-25-2013, 07:17 PM
Side effects may include: abdominal cramping, back pain, bloating, breast tenderness or pain, chest pain, constipation, coughing, depression, diarrhea, dizziness, emotional instability, fatigue, hair loss, headache, hot flashes, irritability, joint pain, muscle pain, nausea, night sweats, swelling of hands and feet, upper respiratory infection, urinary problems, vaginal discharge, bleeding or spotting, vaginal dryness, viral infection, vomiting, yeast infection.

I experienced depression after 3 weks so I stopped taking it and the symptom stopped the next day. I recently started back and so far all is ok. Never gave me any dreams though. then again I take medroxyprogesterone.

Megan G
11-25-2013, 07:22 PM
Like Marleena I too am on pometrium (might have something to do with seeing the same dr..lol)

Anyways I am about 3 months into my HRT, he told me straight out at out first appointment that it would aid in breast development. I am going to have to believe him as 3 weeks ago my left nipple started to ache and now it has swollen so much in the last few weeks it almost scares me.. I just wish my right would start soon...lol

He did talk to me about the risks up front..

Trisha..

Marleena
11-25-2013, 07:46 PM
I'll just add this.

This, from T-Vox.org:

Urban Legend #5: You don't need progesterone (MTF)

The Particulars
Many endocrinologists feel that an exogenous Progestogen is not a necessary for optimal MTF HRT.

The Truth
It is hardly groundbreaking to observe that progesterone plays an important role in natal-female breast development. Why would this not also apply to MTFs?

A study published in The American Journal Of Surgical Pathology (Am J Surg Pathol. 2000 Jan;24(1):74-80.) strongly suggest it does. The study involved comparing breast tissue from 14 MTFs undergoing HRT to that of two natal-males who had been chemically castrated as part of cancer treatment. Distinct histologic differences were found --

[...]Only in male-to-female transsexuals in whom progestative chemical castration is combined with feminising estrogen therapy will full acini and lobular formation occur. Hence, combined progestative anti-androgens and estrogens is necessary for the genetically male breast to mimic the natural histology of the female breast.[...]

Note that by 'progestative anti-androgens' they mean Cyprotone Acetate specifically, which is generally considered a relatively weak Progestogen (though a strong anti-androgen). Also note that the sample sizes were not what you'd call impressive. However, the study's results are hardly shocking, given that Progesterone is generally considered to be responsible for, among other things, lobular formation in the breast. They basically found what one would expect to find, that certain breast structures do not develop, or develop only poorly, in the absence of a Progestogen.

How important all of this is to optimal feminisation remains unclear and likely varies from individual to individual. What is clear is that Progestogens do play an important part in, among other things, proper breast development. Given that, and the lack of any compelling reason not to use them, it seems clear that a Progestogen should be a part of any optimal MTF HRT regimen.

Angela Campbell
11-25-2013, 07:57 PM
Spironolactone is also a synthetic, steroidal antimineralocorticoid agent with additional antiandrogen and weak progestogen properties, as well as some indirect estrogen and glucocorticoid effects

That said my Dr did recommend spiro, estradiol and progesterone.

Kalista Drake
11-25-2013, 09:03 PM
Oh you ladies are so helpful! If I haven't said it enough, Thank you! :)

Ariamythe
11-26-2013, 12:50 AM
Just to add my two cents: my doc called progesterone "optional"; she said that straight-up progesterone was superior to medroxyprogesgerone; and she had no trouble starting me on it day one. Word of warning though: it cost as much as my estridol and spiro combined.

Marleena
11-26-2013, 02:41 PM
3 weeks ago my left nipple started to ache and now it has swollen so much in the last few weeks it almost scares me.. I just wish my right would start soon...lol.

Trisha..

Well it better because you'll look funny with only one boob..:heehee: sorry!