11-25-2013, 04:23 PM
I read an article this morning about masculine words for female things like:

murse
meggings
brosierre
manties
brozillian
manscaping

Am I the only one that is bugged by these things? Like somehow or other that by calling them manties, that somehow makes it acceptable for manly men to wear frilly panties? Or that when I am carrying my purse, but presenting as a male, then suddenly it becomes a murse? How ridiculous. Does that mean if a woman is carrying a wallet, we should call it a mallet? Or that she is wearing a w-shirt with her means on? Absurd!

AllieSF
11-25-2013, 05:12 PM
My pet peeve is that men get "hernias" instead of "hisnias"!

dusktreader
11-25-2013, 05:13 PM
I HATE all of those terms. I think they are silly ways to either make something more acceptable for hyper-masculine types that are terrified of showing one ounce of femininity or they are used to mock or degrade men who do practice them. Either way, they are garbage vernacular and I really hope they go away.

Manscaping <-- The WORST

I also have an incredible distaste for the term "Man Cave", but that is another discussion

Rachael Leigh
11-25-2013, 05:56 PM
Totally agree with you it's just nuts, panties are panties or as I call them at times just my underwear so yeah, silly

KayleeTaylor
11-25-2013, 06:05 PM
Yeah, it's pretty silly. Next time somebody makes one of those comments, maybe correct them? Of coarse, once you do that, you sort-a outed yourself.

Eryn
11-25-2013, 06:14 PM
Well, purse, leggings, and Brazilian are actually non-gendered so masculinizing them is silly. Men used to wear purses and leggings and plenty of men are from Brasil!

Panties are a feminization of pants, so the male version should be... pants.

And brassiere? The origin of the word was the French name for a piece of armor that covered the chest. Later women said "Manly yes, but I want them too!" :)

Manscaping? I get visions of someone training their chest hair into the shape of cartoon mice and elephants... :)

Tina_gm
11-25-2013, 06:16 PM
I really could care less. All just names.

Kate Simmons
11-25-2013, 07:00 PM
I guess manscaping is kind of like terra forming in a man? I still wonder why they call an octopus's appendages TENtacles when there are only eight of them. Evidently the world is full of silliness Hon. ;):)

Shanine
11-25-2013, 07:14 PM
Manties LOL, ickk. They are what they are, panties, no matter who is wearing them.

KaceyR
11-25-2013, 08:18 PM
Manscaping? I get visions of someone training their chest hair into the shape of cartoon mice and elephants... :)

Hah. My imagination just takes things further and envisions getting out a big set of hedge trimmers or a lawn mower...yikes! :)

"SO> ok..now lay down honey... here I come with the John Deer..." ^_^

Most names are just unnecessary conversions. Silly to do, but ignorable. (Same with a lot of the various "bro-whatevers" out there).

Allison Quinn
11-25-2013, 08:22 PM
that's stupid
Panties are panties, Pants are pants, and leggings are leggings.

I don't like it xP

AllieSF
11-25-2013, 08:47 PM
Man boobs=Moobs
Man bra=Bro (see Seinfeld Cramer and George's Dad)

kimdl93
11-25-2013, 08:51 PM
I happen to agree. I have no interest or desire for masculinized substitutes for women's things.

StacyChambers
11-25-2013, 09:46 PM
Man bra=Bro (see Seinfeld Cramer and George's Dad)

It's not a bro, it's a mansierre. ;)

AllieSF
11-25-2013, 09:54 PM
Hey Stacy. It was the "Bro" from Kramer and I think the mansierre for Georges Dad. Here is the clip for the "Bro".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfONNfAjyrc

StacyChambers
11-25-2013, 10:59 PM
Yeah, was trying to recreate the argument they had. Loved that episode.

Lynn Marie
11-25-2013, 11:33 PM
One of my all time loves is lingerie and another is high heeled pumps. So would they be managerie and mumps? Egads! Let's combine those with labels like "transgenderisticness" and really create some industrial strength confusion.

Violetgray
11-25-2013, 11:36 PM
These word conversions exist solely to remind us that we are crossing a gender line, and to mock us for doing so.

nvlady
11-25-2013, 11:45 PM
Maybe we should play with this for a while.
Barber shops give haircuts and beauty shops give hercuts.
Next?

Amy Lynn3
11-26-2013, 12:04 AM
Yes, and why do women get.... MEN a pause ? Gosh, all these names is almost enough to make a man get his panties in a knot.

Tracii G
11-26-2013, 12:10 AM
Silly words that mean nothing.

AllieSF
11-26-2013, 12:59 AM
How about those restroom signs? Men and Wo Men

Lynn Marie
11-26-2013, 04:05 AM
You'd think men would get a clue from the the word woe-men or woah-men!

Beverley Sims
11-26-2013, 05:10 AM
Political correctness and conformity has gone"slightly overboard" in the last decade.
All I can say is knickers.
Mind you tolerance has improved. :)

tappanty
11-26-2013, 06:03 AM
I agree with the OP, it bothers me as well. The one I really hate is Bro-mance, what we can't just have (male) friends anymore?

BLUE ORCHID
11-26-2013, 08:01 AM
Hi Nadine, You can put LIPSTICK on a pig but it's still a PIG.

I Am Paula
11-26-2013, 08:42 AM
Every few years, major cosmetic companies try to introduce men's cosmetics. It has never caught on. If a man wants to wear eyeliner or mascara, I'd say he's already pushing the envelope, so who cares if it's in masculine packaging, and called manscara? I really doubt there are men, presenting as men, who would try to justify wearing makeup just because it is marketed in some masculine way.

Judith96a
11-26-2013, 09:43 AM
Nadine, you are not alone! This kinda nonsense appears to be the last refuge of talent-less, devoid of imagination, so-called style-gurus! Yeuch! :Pullhair:

I absolutely refuse to have any truck with this sort of nonsense. No amount of calling it a brosierre will induce me to wear my BRA while presenting as male (I can just imagine THAT conversation "No, really dear, it's not a bra it's a brosierre!" - aye, right, that'll work - NOT) and as for my panties -no one is going to mistake those for any manly garment :heehee:.

I do like the 'mallet' idea though! Maybe we should each stash one (of the heavy wooden variety) in our purse, to be used for gently 'correcting' anyone who is foolish enough to utter one of these inanities in our presence ;) ?

Judith96a
11-26-2013, 09:47 AM
Hi Nadine, You can put LIPSTICK on a pig but it's still a PIG.

I thought that you were going to say "but it's still LIPSTICK not 'pig-friendly, colour enhancing lip balm' aka PIGSTICK"!

linda allen
11-26-2013, 10:08 AM
Somehow, in my day to day life, I seldom ever hear or read those terms. If I do, I just ignore them and continue what I was doing.

Alice Torn
11-26-2013, 10:19 AM
Dairy Queen, has featured Braziere foods, or used to. One corny guy i knew, used to order a Braziere burger!! Funny!!! Mayybe a maziere burger.

Jaymees22
11-26-2013, 12:36 PM
I think "Mangina" is the worst.

Lorileah
11-26-2013, 12:51 PM
I think it is carrying the gender neutral thing to an extreme. FireMAN- fire fighter. Makes sense because it describes the job more correctly. Same for police officer. But changing words that really are not gender specific is a waste of time. In most cases it was probably more something someone said being silly and it caught on.

dallasmann
11-26-2013, 01:56 PM
I'm so with you on this. Panties are panties, bras are bras, and boobs are boobs!!

dallasmann
11-26-2013, 01:59 PM
I think it is carrying the gender neutral thing to an extreme. FireMAN- fire fighter. Makes sense because it describes the job more correctly. Same for police officer. But changing words that really are not gender specific is a waste of time. In most cases it was probably more something someone said being silly and it caught on.

I split a little bit here. Even though firefighter has become a very common term, I still prefer and use fireman, even when talking about a woman. For policeman, though, I normally say police officer and I don't think I've ever referred to a woman as a policeman.

For me, it's just natural to say "She's a fireman" without even thinking about it.

NathalieX66
11-26-2013, 03:17 PM
Mancave.....mancation.....yuck!

sometimes_miss
11-26-2013, 05:21 PM
These word conversions exist solely to remind us that we are crossing a gender line, and to mock us for doing so.

That's it exactly. Just another way that so many people put us down. I heard a woman at work joke about a guy who's boobs were big enough to need a bra, so I said, 'Well, if your labia minora were so long that you needed support, they you'd probably wear a jockstrap'. The way she turned bright red, I'm betting she was probably 'well endowed' in that particular area. Never the less, it was kind of satisfying turning the tables on her on behalf of the gent she was making fun of behind his back. Then later, I felt kind of guilty for doing exactly what she had done.

Lvjim
11-26-2013, 08:06 PM
The name thing is very annoying

Lame attempt to be pc i guess