PDA

View Full Version : Planning to request HRT

Heather-Hill
11-26-2013, 03:54 PM
Hi, my mind is blown away with all this info, I have a doctors appointment this Friday and I planned to request that I be put on HRT to feminise myself (particularly breast growth ). I think I may be refused as I am in my 60's.
Love Heather Xx

Rianna Humble
11-27-2013, 02:28 AM
Hi Heather,

Welcome to crossdressers.com!

You don't say anywhere that you are transsexual. Have you discussed this idea with your wife?

If you are a cross-dresser rather than transsexual, your doctor is unlikely to agree. What is your motivation for wanting to feminize yourself in your 60's?

Angela Campbell
11-27-2013, 05:15 AM
The question that always comes to mind for me is...why do you want to start HRT?

I Am Paula
11-27-2013, 07:12 AM
Most of us start HRT because we have to. I don't know your situation, but to try to get hormones to grow breasts is irresponsible. If you are TS, and in very good health, then you should be OK at 60-Good luck.

Sara Jessica
11-27-2013, 09:50 AM
I'm just not seeing this as being remotely realistic based on your other writings. From another post of yours...

My wife is adamant she does not want to see me dressed as that will be a turnoff as she did not marry a woman.

Clothes can be hidden from a spouse, so to speak. She never really has to see you presenting as a female if you don't allow it to happen. But breasts? How do you plan on hiding those, not to mention the other effects of HRT???

Heather-Hill
11-27-2013, 11:39 AM
Hi everyone, reading your words of wisdom has made me think it through more clearly. I am a CD with an over inflated desire to be more than that, yes I do fantasise about being a woman but I know this will never happen, too old now and this would devastate my family.
I thought a half way house was the answer.....clearly NOT! Thank you one and all for clearing my stupid fog.

Apologies moderator for the error in my reply. It won't happen again.

Love to everyone
Heather XX

Barbra P
12-04-2013, 10:56 AM
Hi Heather

What I know about the British medical system wouldn’t fill a thimble so this is based on what I know concerning things this side of the pond. The guide line vary between the states so what the situation is for me in California may not be the same for someone in New Hampshire,

HRT is not something that my Doctor can initiate on her own, she needs a letter from the Psychiatric Department or a Licensed Therapist or Psychiatrist (some states require two letters) confirming a diagnosis of gender dysphoria (I believe that is the term being used). In order to get said letter(s) you may be required to undergo therapy for some time; a Therapist or Psychiatrist isn’t going to make that diagnosis in the first few sessions.

I had been seeing my Therapist for about a year when she announced that I could request my Doctor to put through a referral to an endocrinologist to begin HRT – provided my Doctor said there were no medical reasons that would cause problems. For many patients seeking a transition or HRT a RLE (Real-Life Experience) is ordered; a period of time where the patient lives full time as the opposite sex. I don’t know why but the Psychiatric Department waved the RLE for me.

I should point out that I was 69 when I received approval to start HRT. While my Doctor said she would put through a referral she wanted me to discuss it with my Wife first. I was pretty sure how that would end and I was correct, it was an emphatic no. Ironically, yesterday during a session with my Therapist it came up that my medical plan, which has covered HRT will starting in January also cover SRS.

My point is that even if this was not one of your fantasies there is more involved than just walking in to your Doctor’s office (even in the UK) and saying you want to begin HRT .

LeaP
12-04-2013, 11:10 AM
Don't know about the UK either, but RLE before starting hormones hasn't been the standard for many years in most places.