PDA

View Full Version : Doing some good can help the entire T community

Rogina B
11-27-2013, 07:34 AM
"Having more than some,but less than others" aptly describes all of us. This time of year really can remind us of the great disparities of economics in our own communities.These are tough times for many,and good times for some others. Through no fault of their own,people can go from "doing ok" to not.[job loss,medical,etc] Most that posted on a thread recently agreed that we individually represent the "T" community when out in the mainstream world through our actions.I enjoy participating directly in helping some that need it. Whether it is the "queer kids" drop in center,or a local family in need due to job loss,I try my best to help. To most people,the "T"[mindset,world,etc] is very strange and as Lori mentioned,usually gets a lot of negative media attention. When others observe the generosity of one of us,word spreads around that "we're really kind and not all that bad"..locally,of course. For many of you that keep your "thoughts" to yourself,helping out others,can't hurt. And if you are like me and will present your form of "help" in a dress,it really has a huge impact on how people view us..And this isn't just a "thought for the holidays" carry it throughout the year.. There is more to being good than looking good.:)

Beverley Sims
11-27-2013, 07:43 AM
Rogina,
A nice sentiment there, my contribution in life comes through the service organisations I work with.

AmyGaleRT
11-28-2013, 01:59 AM
Rogina, this is why I accepted the role of event organizer for our Meetup groups...because it was an opportunity for me to help out my sisters, especially those who are new and need advice and support.

- Amy

DianeDeBris
11-28-2013, 03:12 AM
"There is more to being good than looking good.:)
I absolutely love it!!!

Tracii G
11-28-2013, 08:34 PM
I do "pay it forward" in guy mode quite a bit so I think its a great idea to do it in girl mode if you can.
I will do my best to find a situation that I can help with in girl mode.

Jason+
11-28-2013, 09:16 PM
If I'm out and about in a skirt or dress I like to leave some money with the groups raising money for schools or the homeless. But then we try to do that when we go out and I'm in pants. I don't know for sure if it helps the T community but it hopefully helps someone. If the Boy Scouts or Girl Scouts corner me while I'm out dressed it's pretty much a guaranteed donation if not a sale for them. :D

Rogina B
11-29-2013, 07:03 PM
My thoughts behind this thread was to remind people that rather than just trying to minimize the negative,they could do something positive as well. I feel that others may accept that "we are a bit different" a heck of a lot easier if they also have seen your "kind side"....It can't hurt to try...

docrobbysherry
12-05-2013, 11:42 AM
Unfortunately, many of us r closet dressers. Including me, Rogina.

I do help with donations to various groups and causes when I can. But, no one connects that to Sherry and I like it that way. There may be many others like me out there. But, no one in the T community is aware of the good we do!

Nicole Erin
12-05-2013, 12:01 PM
Rogina has a point. Plus, if you are out and doing whatever en femme, you will be a bit more motivated and happy.
Not like I am the volunteer type but still a good idea.

Ms. Laura
12-05-2013, 03:33 PM
You're absolutely right, of course, Rogina. I haven't made it over that fear hurdle yet to put it in practice. Not dead yet though. (as of this writing)

Rogina B
12-05-2013, 06:50 PM
I enjoy celebrity status in my little world.When I do something good,people remember that easily as they remember me easily! lol And they talk to others and word gets around. So,if your public lifestyle is up for it,making it obvious that the offer of help,donation,needed gift,etc,came from someone from the "T community" is a great thing to do for all of us out there,and you will feel better for it.Cyndi Lauper has a charity going for the "alphabet community" members in need if anyone feels better giving that way..

Princess Chantal
12-05-2013, 08:38 PM
Ever since 2008 I have been getting all prettied up for a trip down to the Children's Hospital with a donation of some sort. The first couple of years it was a donation of balloons on the behalf of Masquerade the thread about the donations (http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?102358-Donating-amp-a-Challenge-put-on-the-table&highlight=)
Since then, I have been donating toys and visiting the children without representing Masquerade. If my visits puts a positive light on the transgender community then that is great, but isn't my main purpose. My main purpose is for my own selfish reason to see the kids faces light up. Matter of fact, I am waiting for a response by the manager for approval on the time slot to drop off the Playstation 4 system and games tomorrow. Hopefully, the time slot is during their playtime as I'd love to set up the game system and see their smiling faces.

Rogina B
12-05-2013, 09:21 PM
Wonderful Chantal!