PDA

View Full Version : getting it right

kendel
11-30-2013, 09:31 AM
I am confused On picking out a wig I have been on line looking aroung trying to pick the right one I want to spend the money but want to get it right any advice Were I can look

KayleeTaylor
11-30-2013, 09:40 AM
Go to a wig store and try some on or have the SA help you out. Be honest with yourself and the SA and you will be able to find a wig that works for you. I have done the whole online wig thing, it never works out, for me, they are either too cheap, don't fit or don't look right.

The SA's at wig stores will have no problem helping you, who do you think most of their clientele is? I have purchased 7 wigs over the years form wig stores and they always are nice to me and very helpful and I always walk away feeling great about the purchase and it's a lot of fun to just try out several styles!

Also, =if you have the money to spend, get a real human hair one. Or get one with subtle highlights.

JamieQ
11-30-2013, 09:50 AM
Please go in person to a wig shop! I did do the online thing at first and actually did get a cheap wig I am very well pleased with and two others I am probably going to give away. I later went to a wig shop with help of a friend and tried on I do not know how many and finally got my current blondish human hair one that is just about perfect. When I went in I really had my mind on an auburn one and would not even consider a blondish one...Let me tell you...it made all the difference in going out. I was not nearly worried about fake looking hair stuck on top of my head. I really think the wig SAs care less as long as they make a sale. There might be a very few however that could be a bit uncomfortable, so I would just tell them what you want and why and I am sure all will go well. I went to the wig shop in boy mode, basically because my friend and I were really pushed for time. I really do not think I would have gotten any better match if I would have went in girl mode with makeup on.

linda allen
11-30-2013, 09:51 AM
There are wig stores and there are wig stores. The ones in my local malls sell "fashion wigs", wigs that girls wear to parties and clubs. They have nothing for the woman who has lost her hair and have no fitting experience. The last time I stopped in one, they didn't know what a wig stand was, only a foam head.

Wigs come in sizes so it's important to get the correct size so it's comfortable and feels right. As a rule, men have larger heads than women and you may need a large sized wig.

Although I bought my wigs online (at paulayoung.com), I second the advice to go to a wig store with the stipulation that it be one that sells wigs to women who need wigs, not ones looking for a pink wig for a party. Look in the phone book or on-line to find one in your area, then call them and talk about your needs before you go.

suchacutie
11-30-2013, 09:53 AM
When we first "found" Tina she knew absolutely nothing about the mechanics of feminine style. Since it was so very new we were taking baby steps with everything, but it was clear that a wig was a necessity. My wife and I went online and as we went through style after style she explained why each would or would not work because of my facial shape or coloring.

If you well understand these details then you can probably go online and find what you are looking for. The better way is to have someone else help you to judge, and a wig store would certainly provide great professional help. A girlfriend or SO would be great to have with you regardless!

Barbra P
11-30-2013, 10:29 AM
There are a number of good sites selling wigs online; Google “wigs” and you’ll see a number of online retailers; you should also get some brick-&-mortar stores located in your area. You’ll have a much better chance of finding the “right” wig at one of these wig shops then you will online.

The pictures you see online always look good because the pictures are professionally photographed and staged. By staged I mean a model was chosen with the correct shaped face (oval, round, square, etc.) and the right coloring (blonde doesn’t look good on everyone and even fewer women can successfully wear red) for the wig she is wearing, her makeup was done professionally, and lastly the wig was styled. However that wig that looks so good in the picture online may look totally different on you.

You’re much better off in a wig shop where you can actually try on the wigs and see what looks good on you. Yes I know going to a wig shop sounds a little scary, maybe a whole lot scary, but I can assure you that you won’t be the first male to buy a woman’s wig there. Some of the stores may even have a private room where you can try on wigs. Plus wigs come in different sizes, you don’t want one that is too small – the wig will start to hurt after you’ve worn it awhile and it will get stretched out. A wig that is too large, or stretched out, won’t stay on your head properly – it will shift too easily.

Coming off a long purge a few years ago I needed a wig and the first shop I went to talked me into a long, straight, blond wig. I was skeptical in the store but the lady was very convincing and I bought the wig. My Wife hated it, and I pretty much had to agree that I didn’t think it looked good on me. It felt great, but the color was wrong and the style just didn’t fit me. I bought another wig, a cheap one, and that wasn’t right either, plus it shed like mad when combed or brushed. My Daughter then took me to a wig salon.

The wig salon was a totally different experience. I was seated in front of a mirror and the woman brought wigs to me, fitted them on me and combed them out. I tried on about a dozen wigs before choosing one, the right one. The style was not what I went into the shop thinking I wanted, but when I looked in the mirror I pretty much knew. I tried on several more wigs, but I kept going back to that one, it was a dark brown, with some highlight streaks, Bob; shorter than what I had imagined buying when I first entered the shop.

Yes I was nervous entering the shop, but the sales woman who helped me made me feel comfortable. There were a few women shopping at the time, even a few husbands, but one I started trying on wigs I wasn’t really aware of them. Well that isn’t 100% correct. First one female customer came over to me, and said “Pass on that one, it doesn’t look good on you.” Then while trying on another wig a second female customer came over and said “that style really looks good on you.” I ended up spending a bit more than I wanted to but I figured I had a great time, which was certainly worth something, and I came home with a great wig. BTW: I was in drab mode and the wig looks even better when I manage to get my makeup applied right.

CamillaCD
11-30-2013, 10:38 AM
I too will second the advice to go to a wig store selling wigs to women that need them.

My first wigs were bought online, but wether they looked good or not on me was a hit and miss. The ones I have now are all bought from persons that have a knowledge of how wigs should look. Most of them were bought in guy mode too. Just call the shop and make an appointment. I don't think you'll be their first male customer.

Linda E. Woodworth
11-30-2013, 10:55 AM
Find a wig salon and enjoy the experience.

They'll be able to give you a selection allows you to get the wig that "looks" right for you.

I've bought three wigs now and the one I'm most happy with I sat in front of a mirror as I tried on multiple wigs. I passed on the human hair wig as I didn't think my wife would allow the expense. Turned out she wondered why I didn't buy it. Next time I'll seriously consider it.

Also, buy the best wig you can afford. If you buy a cheap wig it'll look cheap. My last purchase was a cheap one and I've never been happy with it.

Good Luck!

robindee36
11-30-2013, 11:09 AM
To echo many of the girls here.....find a wig shop. Get a professional fitting. In addition to length, style and color, there are different cap sizes to accommodate different size heads.

You can buy lots of things in the web but they seldom look and fit you like the models in the pics. I know it is difficult, but you will be most pleased and not waste $$$ on wigs you do not ultimately like.

Hugs, Robin

Beverley Sims
11-30-2013, 12:57 PM
In Central NY?

The world is your oyster.
Try one of the larger wig outlets, they will fit you out and send you on your way without batting an eyelid.
You are in the center of the world, why go anywhere else. :)

Hmmm!
Maybe Chicago is the center of the world. :) :)

Requal Jo
11-30-2013, 01:53 PM
Go in person and find the wig you want. The SA wants to make the sale, not the person. They are very helpful.

Cheryl T
11-30-2013, 05:49 PM
Go to a salon and get some professional help. There you can try them on in a private booth and see what flatters and what doesn't. Try different colors and styles till you find what speaks to you.

Alice B
11-30-2013, 08:19 PM
I agree. Go to a wig store.They will be accepting and very helpful in selecting the right look and color. You can go in drab or dressed, it will make no difference. Just be open with the sales person and they will go out of their way to help.

JocelynJames
01-03-2014, 09:38 PM
I need serious help finding the right wig. If you saw my first and only face pick last Friday, you know what I mean. Someday soon I hope

Taylor.D
01-04-2014, 12:03 AM
Fantastic advice on this thread. I went the cheap route and get my self a crummy wig off ebay. I totally regret buying it. The hair gets everywhere and makes a total mess. The next time I make a wig purchase I'm going to walk into a wig shop and do it right!

Valerie Nova
01-04-2014, 12:19 AM
I took the advice given here, and ended up spending more time than I wanted to (and a bit over $100) with a middle-aged Chinese woman who clearly wanted nothing to do with me. She sold me a poorly-fitting wig that I returned and got my money back for.

Anyway, after doing my research, I got a synthetic wig off eBay for like $40, that was all really needed. If you have a particularly large head, you'll need a "large" size wig, and if not, then you'll have a much wider selection. Nirvana Wigs brand is pretty decent for the price. Also, if you can, get the shortest-hair wig that you think will look decent on you. Longer hair wigs get a lot more tangled and messy. Also, for a first wig, just go with a synthetic one. Less trouble, overall.

Daphne Renee
01-04-2014, 02:17 AM
I guess it really depends on what your budget is. The wig shop is a good idea.. If you are on an extremely tight budget like myself.. Online is probably the way to go. I got one at janetscloset.com .

Mary Lee
01-04-2014, 12:44 PM
I go to a wig shop. Have to fine one that would work with CDs. I spend around $125 for each wig.

darla_g
01-04-2014, 01:10 PM
I have been to a number of wig shops over time. My results have been less than stellar. In my opinion I have been overcharged and lied to a number of times. Now i buy everything online and have been much more satisfied.

mykell
01-04-2014, 01:19 PM
lace front wig, more money but worth it, wait and save if you have to !
and go to a wig shop, and try as many as you like, the longer the easier they tangle....

looking_good
01-04-2014, 01:21 PM
My view is a bit different. I've got CHEAP wigs from Amazon and eBay. They are cheap, and they look cheap. But they are fun, and I am experimenting and learning as I go. A few have been a pleasant surprise. But I have different colors, lengths, styles, and know a lot more about what could work for me. It's like speed dating, but more fun.

When I am ready to make a commitment to good wig/wigs, I'll be ready.

Teresa
01-04-2014, 02:22 PM
When you buy your wig are planning to wear makeup? A safe first buy is match your natural colour. I have a silver blond bob style not my natural colour and I find makeup has to be heavier to compete, the short black bob is cute but again not natural and looks "wiggy" and other problem with a short wig is not covering your ears ( most male ears are not pretty).