PDA

View Full Version : Experiences of Dr Curtis

Amy A
12-03-2013, 03:46 PM
Hi,

I'm thinking of bridging the gap between now and whenever the nhs gets round to seeing me with private hormone treatment.

Has anyone here seen Dr Curtis, or been treated by him before going to a GIC?

emma5410
12-03-2013, 08:18 PM
Hi Amy.
I have read nothing but good things about him from people who have been to see him. He is transsexual himself. There was a lot of publicity a year or two ago when he got into some trouble with the authorities. I think it had something to with prescribing hormones without sufficient referral to a psychiatrist but I may be wrong.
Another alternative is GenderCare where I went. The staff are all from Charing Cross GIC. Dr Lorimar, the psychiatrist and Dr Seal, the endo, are both really nice people.
I chose them because they worked within the NHS but I would have just as happily chosen Dr Curtis.

Alex R
12-04-2013, 06:57 AM
I attend Dr Curtis for HRT and thoroughly recommend him.

He's not everybody's cup of tea (I have a friend who left him over his stance on progesterone) but I think he has many more happy clients than not happy.

Amy A
12-04-2013, 05:55 PM
Thanks to both of you for your replies. I have made an appointment with Dr Curtis in January, so hopefully I'll be able to get hormones in the first half of next year.

Alex, I wasn't aware of any debate over progesterone, so I did a bit of googling and found this article by the man himself:

http://www.gender.org.uk/gendys/2009/47curtis.htm

Angela Campbell
12-04-2013, 07:09 PM
Ohhhh I like that....I can eat more now!