PDA

View Full Version : Estrogen and prostate cancer

MarieTS
12-04-2013, 01:18 AM
Ive recently learned of some information that if true is very alarming for those of us on mones and post op.

Estrogen used to be used to slow the growth of prostatic tumors. Now research indicates elevated estrogen levels in genetic males reative to their androgen levels is a causitive factor in developing prostate cancer. You can see the conerns.

This becomes very problemmatic for M to F post ops because regretably the prostate is not removed during SRS. Does anyone have any insights here?
Thanks,
Marie

JohnH
12-04-2013, 04:22 AM
I Google'd for the following term: "estrogen and prostate cancer" and came across the article

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/742985 [Estrogen Action and Prostate Cancer]

and skimmed the article. It did not conclusively come out strongly that estrogen causes prostate cancer. Rather it stated the following:

"In this article, we review the epidemiological, laboratory and clinical evidence that estrogen may play a causative role in human prostate cancer, as well as rodent and grafted in vivo models."

I take it that don't worry excessively about prostate cancer being caused by estrogen, but continue to get the prostate examined on a regular basis. All I can say it is really nice to be able to urinate without obstruction at all.

Genetic women have a gland analogous to the prostate gland - it is called a "Skene's gland." That gland produces fluid somewhat like the fluid produced by the male prostate gland.

Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skene%27s_gland

Something to think about: Testosterone also may cause prostate cancer - so replacing testosterone with estrogen might not increase the likelihood of cancer. I don't think we want to deprive ourselves of testosterone or estrogen so we would be eunuchs with the risk of osteoporosis.

Johanna

linda allen
12-04-2013, 07:59 AM
This sort of research comes up with results that often contradict each other. One day eggs are bad for you, the next day they are good for you. Women need yearly mamograms, mamograms don't help, etc. Hormone therapy (in normal males and females) is good/is bad.

The only thing that remains constant is that you will eventually die.

Find a doctor you can trust and follow his/her advice.

Ariamythe
12-04-2013, 12:00 PM
To add to what Linda said: One should never, ever take the results of a single research study as definitive, ever. Even the researchers don't (though the news media sometimes likes to report it that way). Science and medicine are built on a preponderance of evidence, not a single observation.

Loni
12-08-2013, 11:43 AM
having had said cancer. (had the gland removed) every thing i read said testortone fuels the cancer.
this is the first i have seen stating estrogen has any effect.
not that it is not possible.
but is there any real world numbers here? as how many X out of Z numbers got cancer during said treatments?
injecting lab rats that are bread to get or grow cancer is not a true view of any research.
a lab can make it so anything we consume is bad or going to kill you.
(remember dyhydren monoxide) -i know spelling-.
in face one of the treatments uses some of the same chems/hormones used in fixing ones gender.

but worth it to keep a eye on and see if it ever gets reviewed by others in the same field of study.

Lilo
12-08-2013, 12:37 PM
The few long term studies that I read of MTF TS conclusively showed blood clots are the highest risk. These studies also showed that morbidity, from disease, was not significantly higher than in the rest of the population. Since these studies follow essentially the same treatment we follow, I dont think there is reason to panic. Nothing has changed, we will continue getting the same treatment and the risks are the same they always have been.

mary something
12-08-2013, 04:31 PM
I'm not a medical expert but I have a perspecitive on this. I believe that the elevated estrogen levels mentioned are actually because of aromatized testosterone in the body because of excess testosterone. When a male produces too much testosterone some of it gets converted to estrogen. This can result in man boobs and why steroid taking weightlifters anecdotally have quite small packages lol.

a common treatment for slow growing prostatic cancer in men is androgen blockers, specifically dht blockers to block the effects of all that testosterone.

I really don't think it's a concern for us because our T levels are much lower.

Frances
12-08-2013, 04:43 PM
Don't transition if you are worried about stuff like this. Jumping off my balcony was way more probable than atrophied prostate cancer. The Skeen's gland is more than analogous to the prostate. It is the same thing. Just like women have an adam's apple as well. Without testerone, these body parts don't develop the same way.

I hate these threads. What is the point : Scaring yourself into not transitioning or scaring others into not transitioning or alarming post-op women?

mikiSJ
12-08-2013, 04:46 PM
I saw my HRT prescribing internist for the first time last Wednesday. In describing the risk/benefits of estradiol valerate, he mentioned my BPH will get better over time and there was no conversation regarding prostrate cancer.

I think there is a substantial difference between Marie's OP and the next post by Johanna.

Just remember, EVERYTHING you read on the internet is true.

Ariamythe
12-09-2013, 09:01 AM
I hate these threads. What is the point : Scaring yourself into not transitioning or scaring others into not transitioning or alarming post-op women?
I don't see the harm and seeking the opinion of others when a possible new risk factor appears. At least she asked; she didn't just read it, accept it as true, and decide not to transition or something.

Jannis
12-12-2013, 09:39 PM
I get the Johns Hopkins newsletter regarding prostate health. JH is one of the most advanced doing research on this disease. Just this week, their researchers claim 80 percent of prostate disorders are dietary in origin. Stress was also cited as a factor. I guess the point is, does anyone know definitively what causes anything. My doc has told me several times "every five years we discover that we are lucky we didn't kill our patients with dated knowledge."

JohnH
12-13-2013, 07:46 AM
My buddy (genetic male) tells us (members of the church choir) there is one sure cure for having diseases - it is when you die! :)

Johanna (John)

Frances
12-13-2013, 10:44 AM
I don't see the harm and seeking the opinion of others when a possible new risk factor appears. At least she asked; she didn't just read it, accept it as true, and decide not to transition or something.

It's not a new risk factor simply because it was unknown. There are lots of risks known and unknown. Before SRS, I had to sign a 10 page form filled with possible negative consequences. The question is: "do you need to transtion or not?"

BeckyW
12-13-2013, 10:56 AM
I've seen this story on a few websites, usually the ones that are connected with some company that wants to sell some sort of testosterone boosting herb or medication. I'm willing to bet that estrogen doesn't really affect the prostate in a negative way, but it just happens that when men get older, their estrogen levels go up. Correlation is not causation, as they say.