PDA

View Full Version : Misgendering

Ann Louise
12-04-2013, 12:45 PM
IMHO Opinion Only, and with All Due Respect To Others Of Different Opinions:

I'm heading back to work full time next January after FFS, and based on the comments made earlier by Melissa and others here, it seems this mis-gendering will NOT get any better at work after I return, even worse maybe, even though I now am starting to look like a 40-year-old version of my grandmother (I'm 60).

I tried, based on a recent foray into the realm of "Facebook," to re-friend some of the old 30- to 40-year old friends from before, back when I was a "dude." No big surprise here. It was still "dude," not "her," and "him" all over, again and again. And apology after apology, the "...after 30 years it's so hard to change" thing. Yes, I've heard it alot by now, But, it did and still hurts so bad (yes, yes, I know I'm supposed to "understand"), that I blocked the whole Facebook lot of them. All of them.

This is my new life. This is a life that I've denied myself, closeted away, didn't even know existed for a long while. Many here will regard me as selfish, and perhaps rightly so, but I have absolutely, utterly promised myself that I am going to live the remaining 20 or 30 years of my life surrounded by those that love and accept me, Ann Louise Basketfield. Not "new" Ann Louise," not sort of "Ann Louise," not "Ann" somebody or other, just plain old bloody "Ann Louise Basketfield." Period.

And here's more what might be considered as very selfish stuff: It's Going To Be On My Terms. Due to a broken home at a very early age, drunken parents, and many failed relationships, in attempting to make amends I have virtually squandered 40 years of my life living for others, thinking ahead and caring for others, fathering, husbanding, and working like a freakin' slave for others, always thinking of them first. Yes, yes, this was my choice. And in large part I am proud of my loyalty and devotion to those others. And to those ready to pile in on me for this, I remain a proud husband, father, and loyal friend (to those that deserve it), and will not spend a wit of time trying to convince you otherwise. It's just true.

But now, finally, this is MY TIME TO LIVE MY LIFE, and by the gods that is what I will do. Even if I have to move to another town, start all over again, go stealth, and have a non-existent past life. How much strength and fortitude did it take you girls for you to admit that you even had GD, and then that you were going to take that first spiro, patch or injection, and dress as the real you in public, even though you certainly did not "pass" as a twenty-year old debutante? A lot, no? What makes you think that now, in the realm of private, personal inter-relations, that that same degree of courage, even more so, is not now required, and that if you just bare your heart to all that they'll just take pity on you and automatically love you and "understand" you? Tosh. The physical parts were the easy parts IMO, it's this emotional interaction where the genuine courage must be found and applied, day after day.

I've made previously quite poorly received comments here about the necessity of having to rebuild my life, ground up, wives, children, friends, acquaintances, the whole lot. But I was and still remain quite emotional about my GD, the HRT and FFS that followed, and the GRS to come next winter, and although my notions are still perhaps as poorly received as ever, I'm still convinced of the fundamental notion that I am a different person, a new person, with new hopes, aspirations, dreams, and even sexual desires, and I am going to live this New Life, not a re-stirred, re-baked, warmed-over version of the old one. A New Life.

I'm not posting this for an analysis by others, although perhaps that's inevitable, but mainly I am attempting to present a different, albeit not too popular point of view to consider for those who are still in the early stages of transitioning, just starting, or are well under way but still struggling with the old emotional ties and confusions. How many forum members have we seen go by these boards and now dissappeared who professed wanting to transition, but "couldn't" because of the mother, father, wife, daughter, son, church group, small town, or whatever, that stood in their way? "If only, but..." In my case it is precisely those old emotional ties that kept me bound up in a life of hell for more than four decades, and I simply wish to present a different point of view.

[note: if anyone decides to grace this with a comment, I would respectfully request that is it someone who TRULY is in transition, or completed it. Thinking about it is not enough]

)0( Ann )0(

mary something
12-04-2013, 03:16 PM
oh Ann! When I read your response I felt so bad that I was the one who said that it was your choice. I didn't say that to cause you pain, I was probably guilty of thinking how what you were saying at the time may sound to your loved ones and said too much at the expense of causing you discord. I apologize for any hurt I caused you, know it was never my intention to hurt.

I would love to hear Melissa's and others opinions regarding the back to work issue. I suppose I am lucky in the regard that I don't have to worry about transitioning on the job, I am self-employed, although I know quite well what it is like to walk down the hall at work and have someone hiss "fag" when you walk by, and then hear the laughter of a group of people. Individuals are easy to deal with, groups are the worst. I read something that Kathryn posted once about how long it took for people's memories to flip to female, about how people don't remember her as male even anymore.

That's not the point so much as I just wanted to say that I appreciate your notions, and your courage. I wish you the greatest happiness and the courage to find it and the wisdom to know it when you do. :hugs:

I Am Paula
12-04-2013, 05:40 PM
Brava, Anne Louise!
I have spent my life ensuring that other people have the life they dream about. I have tried to be a good person, and put other people first most of the time. When I began transition I decided to live my life for me from now on. Nobody is going to suffer for my selfishness, most wont even notice it. I'm just reprioritizing.
If being the woman of my dreams is within reach, I'm going to reach for that brass ring, even if it appears I'm pushing a few people out of the way to get it.
If I don't claim 'my time' sure as hell nobody is going to offer it to me!
Keep it up Anne Louise.

Ann Louise
12-04-2013, 06:22 PM
Even though our friendships reside largely in a virtual realm for now, but not forever, I'm certain, you girls are so special to me, and I respect you so highly, and think the best of you both always. Please pardon a bit of a crabby tone in my words, though. And Mary, please don't feel bad! I don't think you have a mean bone in your body, and admire you're keen intellect and the always thoughtful presentation of your words. Paula, you too. You are honest, direct, and on the mark always.

I'm in like the second or third stage of the delightful forms of pain that FFS has to offer, and I should always take a deep(er) breath (and a couple of extra pharmaceuticals) before hitting that "enter" key for a while. I love you girls! Ann

Angela Campbell
12-04-2013, 06:40 PM
I am watching and learning. I will have the facial surgery in January and will go full time at work soon after that. I am expecting it to be difficult, I know it will not be an immediate change in the minds of others but I will endure. Just as you are.

Kathryn Martin
12-04-2013, 07:49 PM
There are two things I would say to you about this step of transition socially and professionally. When I talk about transition I really mainly talk about this 24 hour period, everything else is preparation or dealing with the effects of transition. Once you go to work fully authentically, don't be a victim, don't allow yourself to feel like a victim. If you want to remake this life don't dwell on how you got there and how much you did for others and how much it sucked. Don't feel sorry for yourself over the broken home, the failed relationships. It has no value for you anymore.

And don't let people draw you into becoming a new victim of circumstance of your being who you are. Be realistic. I told people they had two years to get it right. Well, I haven't been misgendered by anyone for a long time now except recently deliberately by my ex-wife in a court proceeding. It was such an out of body experience for everyone that the Judge apologized for her behavior to the courtroom and the embarrassment she had caused everyone.

mary something
12-04-2013, 08:20 PM
That is WONDERFUL Kathryn! Good on you because you earned it! I've always admired the shear strength that you have.

Ann Louise, I think everyone who transitions should have a teenage girl (daughter)living with them that is about two years ahead of them puberty-wise. Please don't take this the wrong way, but honey you sounded just like a girl (gasp!) who was gonna get her way come hell or highwater! It's easier to recognize when you've been seeing it for a while from someone else. Congrats and buy your wife some nice flowers for no particular reason lol :hugs:

Ann Louise
12-04-2013, 08:42 PM
On second thought girls, I think I've said all that I've meant to on this topic, and if you know me personally from emails, phone calls, or showing up at my hospital room, you know where my heart is. It's with all of us, and we're all in this together.

All the best to you all,

)0( Ann )0(

stefan37
12-04-2013, 10:44 PM
For those of us at this stage in our transition. Mis-gendering will be a common experience. it will take time for friends and co workers that have known us for years as male to become acclimated to our new to them identity. Hormones, breasts, surgeries, clothing, will not make it go faster. Our attitude and steadfastness without rancor will however start to have effect. I have been noticing my coworkers and customers start to refer to me as she and use my new name. They slip up often. hell i even slip up. Can you imagine going to a public business meeting and inadvertently without thinking refer to yourself as a guy or use your old name. It happened to me recently. I corrected myself immediately and went on with my presentation. the meeting went well I felt comfortable and by the end was gendered correctly by all there. You can tell when somebody is being sincere and trying and when they are being malicious.

Early transitioners have to develop thick skin especially at the beginning. If you are transitioning in place after many years expect things to not fall immediately into place. Be patient and things will start to turn. If being stealth is so important, move and start over. Even then being accepted as female can be difficult until one unlearns many years of male socialization and learns some rudimentary female socialization. Be patient, correct people gently and in time you will be treated as the person you would like. i have no idea when I can afford facial surgery. I have to live my life daily with what has been given me. Yes strangers misgender me frequently at first , that cannot be helped, but after talking with them they usually address me in the correct gender.
Those close to me are starting to do the same. It is complicated and will take time.i think Kathryn had the right timetable and probably is closer to the correct amount of time.

Ann Louise
12-04-2013, 11:47 PM
...but honey you sounded just like a girl (gasp!)...

Whoo Hoo!

Barbara Ella
12-05-2013, 01:56 AM
I cannot comment here, but I can respond.

Love you hun. You will make it. I am not going anywhere.

Hugs,

Barbara

KellyJameson
12-05-2013, 02:17 AM
In my opinion if you can do it, stealth is the way to go. The trans community may feel you have betrayed them or taken the cowardly way out but it becomes very tiresome always living at the fringes of society.

Kaitlyn Michele
12-05-2013, 07:33 AM
Making decisions about your future is hard in the best of circumstances...making decisions about an incomprehensible idea (changing gender roles) when you are vulnerable and emotionally raw is way harder..

the day will come when all the decisions and all the planning is behind you...its just you and your authentic life...you really can't predict how you will feel then....this is true for all things, but especially true for us...living full time as your authentic self is a transcendent experience...living without gender dysphoria is a huge burst of freedom and empowerment.... what you learn from it all will transcend anything you think about it now..(for better or worse)

I know that many of the things I resolutely believed about my transition and female life PRIOR to living full time turned out to be inaccurate...

mary something
12-05-2013, 08:08 AM
I know that many of the things I resolutely believed about my transition and female life PRIOR to living full time turned out to be inaccurate...

sounds like a great topic, don't just leave us hanging like that!!! :)