PDA

View Full Version : Why I shop online

ronna
01-02-2006, 02:44 PM
Except for lipstick and pantyhose that I buy at the drugstore, I usually buy all my
clothes over the internet. Today I wanted a new skirt and top, so I ventured out
into the retail world for the first time to buy women's clothes.

First I found a cute little lilac-colored purse and the sales lady says, "I'll bet
this is for you, isn't it?"
I just smiled and said, "How did you know?"

Then, I bought a pair of ladies pink leather moccasins and the cute checkout girl
smiles and says, "These will look nice on you."
Thinking fast, I replied, "Do you really think so?"
I think I handled that fairly well.

Anyway, I went back to find a skirt and blouse, and found two of each that I liked.
Since a size 12 dress fits me, a size 12 skirt should fit too, right?
Wrong! I got it home and tried it on and it was like a tent on me.
Now I was going to have to exchange it and face the service department.

So I buck up and go back to the store again, this time I took it into the fitting
room and tried it on so I wouldn't make that mistake again. I was kind of nervous
about that, but managed.

I like my skirts short and my heels high, but decided that I needed some more
practical "everyday" clothes like flat shoes and a long skirt, and now I have them!

As soon as I got home, I had to try on all my new outfits but didn't have time
to do my hair or makeup, but I think I got some pretty good bargains! The only bad
part is having to take them off!

You can't really tell from the picture, but the short skirt isn't black, it's a "wine" color, sort of a dark purple that seems to go well with the black, pink and purple tops (I bought 3!)

suzy
01-02-2006, 03:13 PM
Ronna,

Bravo! Bravo!! Bravo!!!...You bought some excellent selections... all so very sensual and feminine... good taste in clothes... now hun, when do we get to see the front???;)

Jasmine Ellis
01-02-2006, 03:33 PM
wow, the outfits look wonderful good for you dear looks like you had one hell of a day out hun

Butterfly Bill
01-02-2006, 04:45 PM
Anyway, I went back to find a skirt and blouse, and found two of each that I liked.
Since a size 12 dress fits me, a size 12 skirt should fit too, right?
Wrong! I got it home and tried it on and it was like a tent on me.
Now I was going to have to exchange it and face the service department.

Manufacturers of women's clothing often do "vanity sizing": putting a label saying it is a size or two smaller than it really is so some dieting woman will think, "now I can get into a size__" and buy it cuz it makes her feel good.

I've got dresses that fit me well with labels all the way from 10 to 20W. (It's most often 16 for me.)

There is really no substitute for actually trying something on before you buy it, unless its a brand that you have bought before a few times.

Lisa Marie
01-02-2006, 06:49 PM
Nice legs by the way!;)

serinalynn
01-02-2006, 07:04 PM
Different manufactuers have different sizes for diffferent women. If you buy in stores try it on before you leave. That way if it doesn't fit you can try another size. If you buy from the same store alot you may be comfortable that an Item will fit you, and then you won't have to return it. I have bought from enought from Lane Bryant, Catherines and Fashion Bug, I am confidant that things I buy will fit when I get them home, that there is no need to try on in the store

DonnaT
01-03-2006, 01:19 PM
Congratulation Ronna. So, are you going to continue shopping in person or stay online?

Your responses to salesgirls was great. Always let them know you aren't embarrassed. That and being friendly makes it easier the next time around.

The sales girls most places I've been have never commented like that. One did by asking if I thought the hose would fit. I replied that I hoped so.

ronna
01-03-2006, 08:36 PM
You all have such great advice.
Now that I have been into a store and didn't chicken out, I might just have to try this again.

I have some more pictures too, but I need to make them smaller to post.
Thanks for asking, Suzy!

Jillian310
01-03-2006, 08:54 PM
I spent over an hour today at the Bug, checking out the sales. I tried many dresses and outfits on. The clerks there don't bat an eye when I ask to use a fitting room. They check them out to give me an 'all clear'. I like the Bug, but find that some styles just don't fit in the sizes in the garments. My rule of thumb is to always try everything on at the stores. I am kind of age chubby, so really need to find things that look halfway decent on me. Thank goodness for elastic waist skirts! I am determined to find a nice short black dress before the sales season is over. I want something that is a cross between classy and ****ty! The search continues!

Tamara Croft
01-03-2006, 08:59 PM
I'm just wondering why this thread is titled 'why I shop online' when it actually has nothing to do with shopping online???

Butterfly Bill
01-03-2006, 10:17 PM
Looks like she started out by relating all her hassles shopping in a brick-and-mortar store, as a good reason for buying online instead. But then we all tried to talk her into coming back to the store (and not buy online).

ronna
01-22-2006, 02:52 PM
I'm just wondering why this thread is titled 'why I shop online' when it actually has nothing to do with shopping online???

You're totally right, Tamara, that made almost no sense. Butterfly Bill is right.
My point was that the first time I went clothes shopping in a store, I tried to shrug off the embarrassment and decided to stick to the privacy of internet shopping.

Now I'm starting to think it was kind of fun, and might have to try it again!
Thanks for all of your encouragement, girls!

Helen MC
01-22-2006, 05:06 PM
I vastly prefer On-Line shopping and do so for 90% of my purchasing even for non clothes items. Before the Godsend of the Internet and Credit Cards I used Mail Order Catalogues a lot. To be honest I did not like all the hassle of buying in person and would far rather visit a website, view the items I wished to purchase, load my basket, transmit my Card Details and a few days later the parcel arrives. No fuss, no funny looks, no having to pretend it is for "My Wife, Girlfriend, Mother, Sister" etc. I only wish this had been available when I was younger. I feel that On-Line shopping is almost Tailor Made for the CD and TV Community!

I have to say that in buying in person, even in the old days, I didn't have any really bad embarassment with women shop assistants although I am sure the woman behind the counter knew that the panties etc were really for myself. The only really annoying incident was when a store decided one Xmas to have male shop assistants serving on the lingerie counter thinking this would make it easier for men (non TB or CD men that is) to buy panties, bras etc for their Wives and GFs etc. In the event the opposite was true. The male assistants were either embarrassed or treated it as a playground joke and simply did not have the knowledge of sizes etc that a woman would have had. They made purchasers more uncomfortable than had women been serving as usual. Needless to say this was a failure and the store did not repeat this experiment. On the other side I have related about the lovely woman in the Charity Shop (Thrift Shop) who worked out that I was a CD and used to inform me when suitable clothes especially undies arrived and would let me try dresses, skirts etc on in the changing room in the shop after they had closed. Unfortunately both she and the shop have gone.

In the end do what you are most confortable with.

orchard
01-22-2006, 05:14 PM
I think i prefer online(things are cheaper?) but I have gone retail as well.
Most of the time I am buying drab things and toss in a top or two.
but the best time was buying a silk nightgown. I deliberately walked around looking for manly things to include in the order. ended up being
nightie
super power bike lock
wrench/or some tool, don't remember.

Helen MC
01-22-2006, 05:34 PM
Orchard, that is the beauty of the Hypermarket etc. If buying female clothing it is possible to put these in the trolley with other non-sus items, male clothing, household goods, grocery, tools, whatever. However for anonimity and privacy as well as convenience, On-Line Shopping wins hands down for me.

Rainbow6562005
01-22-2006, 05:40 PM
Lovely legs, in addition to quite a good taste in clothing.:thumbsup:

Rainbow

NylonMan
01-22-2006, 10:03 PM
Very nice. The outfits look great on you.
Has anyone told you that you have beautifull legs. I bet you liked changing your nylons for these pics.