PDA

View Full Version : Reparative Therapy.

Amanda M
12-06-2013, 03:17 AM
I'd like to know of anyone on here has ever had it suggested to them that they should have "reparative therapy" to "cure" their "condition", or if they have heard of someone who has.

My reason for asking is that there is still, in this day and age, a small number of so-called therapists/counsellors who take this approach, despite the whole idea being totally discredited.

There are moves being made to try to have this procedure made illegal in the UK, at present, at least for gay people, and I'd like to know if any of the transsexual people here have any views on this.

Regards,

Amanda

mary something
12-06-2013, 08:22 AM
yes I have had it suggested to me by family. Reparative therapy does not change WHAT you are, it is focused on changing BEHAVIORS. I know it was made illegal in California not too long ago, and it is considered unethical by the APA.

You'll hear it most often with the "ex-gay" movement. A typical introduction to reparative therapy will focus on the guilt and shame that people feel for having unwanted homosexual desires. It will promise to help them deny that part of themselves so they can lead a "better" life.

It is based on a faulty premise that being homosexual for example is a choice. The goal is to eliminate all behaviors that are not "acceptable".

LeaP
12-06-2013, 09:38 AM
I consider it unethical when a medical practitioner of any type engages in it. It's a bit harder to call it unethical when it is practiced by people for nonmedical beliefs, like religious beliefs.

Still, it should be banned for when the subject is underage, no matter who is doing the "therapy." (The bans in the US so far all apply only to minors, as far as I know.)

As to how it should be handled from a legal standpoint for adults who enter such therapies voluntarily is more complex. While there is ample evidence that they are damaging, how ethical is it to prevent an adult who is aware of this information? There are similarities to the "informed consent" discussions here.

Michelle.M
12-06-2013, 12:33 PM
Reparative therapy is beyond unethical. It’s been determined to be harmful and has been formally denounced by all recognized psychiatric / psychological / therapy-oriented professional bodies.

Reparative therapy, even as practiced today, is an outgrowth of that done in previous eras when electroshock therapy and lobotomies were regarded as legitimate treatments. While lobotomies are no longer practiced, electroshock therapy is still practiced in some form in some unauthorized treatment protocols under the euphemism “aversion treatment”.

The National Association for Research & Therapy of Homosexuality (NARTH), along with various anti-gay / anti-trans conservative religious groups (most notably Focus on the Family) are ardent supporters of reparative therapy.

When the American Psychoanalytic Association (APsaA) spoke out against NARTH, stating "that organization does not adhere to our policy of nondiscrimination and their activities are demeaning to our members who are gay and lesbian." NARTH responded by emphasizing their belief that it is discriminatory and unethical to ignore the needs and goals of people who do not wish to be gay.

In 2006, Focus on the Family and several other organizations announced that they would protest the American Psychological Association's convention in New Orleans because of the APA’s stance against the practice. Mike Haley, the director of gender issues for Focus on the Family, commented that, "The APA's views on issues such as the immutability of homosexuality have caused real harm to real people and patients."

Reparative therapy (also called conversion therapy) is illegal in New Jersey and it is now illegal in California after successfully overcoming objections by the Liberty Counsel on the grounds that prohibiting conversion therapy was a breach of the free speech rights of practitioners. Bans are also being proposed in Pennsylvania, Ohio, Massachusetts and New York.

LeaP
12-06-2013, 12:45 PM
Reparative therapy (also called conversion therapy) is illegal in New Jersey and it is now illegal in California ...

For minors only.

Jonianne
12-09-2013, 05:09 PM
Exodus Intenational, one of the leading proponats, shut down this year and apoligized to the LGBT community, saying people cannot change their sexuality.

Barbara Ella
12-09-2013, 06:12 PM
This practice is unethical. It is damaging. It would never be proposed by someone who loved you/me and really knew what it does to the person. My wife, the only one who knows would never even consider this. She knows who I am.

Barbara