PDA

View Full Version : Crossdressers as Heroes (Heroines) or Superheroes?

LelaK
12-06-2013, 10:41 AM
It would be neat if there were major media roles for crossdressers as heroes or superheroes. Right?

Women and minorities used to be left out of such roles, but many have been accepted in recent decades, esp. for women. So how about similar roles for LGBTs? Esp. us CDs?

Are there any Anime CD or LGBT heroes? It seems like that would be the place to start, maybe.

What ideas do you have for such characters, whether Anime or real people?

---

A CD hero could be similar to Superman, presenting in drab most of the time, but in emergencies changing into dressed mode. I guess that would end up having to be a comedy. I wonder if there'd be a way to have CDs not in comic roles? Should the CD hero be always dressed?

Since women like Angelina Jolie and Milla Jovovich and Uma Thurman have had hero roles, I thought CDs could have similar roles. But generally women heroes don't dress like we like to, esp. in dresses.

What about in Anime? I'm familiar with Sailor Moon. She dresses more like a CD hero would dress too. It seems she's usually just having her clothes transformed magically, and rather beautifully IMO. I'd enjoy a character who could shapeshift beautifully too.

But how can people wearing dresses be heroes? Would they have to just be heroes at counseling, teaching, or healing others? Or could they be heroes in battle, like Joan of Arc, but still wearing dresses? My preference would be miniskirts, minidresses, or short petticoats etc for my CD hero.

Dream of things that never were and ask Why Not?

PatChick
12-06-2013, 10:43 AM
They could be called... wait for it...... "Ex-Men"

Dana M
12-06-2013, 10:50 AM
Patchick,

Only if they were transexual. I believe LelaK was talking about strictly CDing heroes. But on second thought it could work. How about a heroine called WOmen? maybe in a black miniskirt,purple tights, and green v-neck top. with powers similiar to superman.

Valarie
12-06-2013, 10:51 AM
Marvel has several LGBTQ characters, one from the X-Mean got married, (I have the issue) it was the first same sex marriage in a comic. Archie has a character named Kevin that is openly gay. My friend and I have a sci-fi trilogy novel that we have been working on for a few years. One character that has a big role is transgendered, and comes from a planet where that is the norm.

iGenny
12-06-2013, 10:54 AM
There's a cartoon called, "Shezow." I've only seen the pilot. I'm such a geek for knowing this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shezow

LelaK
12-06-2013, 12:32 PM
I'm glad to learn about these developments. I found that SheZow pilot at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcU5QEVJo-U. Now if the characters looked more like Sailor Moon or were real actors (well-dressed etc), that would be a big improvement IMO. But at least things might be moving in a good direction.

KaceyR
12-06-2013, 01:30 PM
There have been many anime chars that have had CD or josou (girl clothes wearing) characters.
The whole aspect of CD characters has been used many times from the
occasional 'maid' form of Hayate (Hayate the Combat Butler),
Hideyoshi from Baka to Test series (he looks so good he makes more money modeling than regular girls)
For older shows Ryuunosuke Fujinami from Urusei Yatsura (although thats FtM CD)
Although more transformation instead of CD, there's Ranma from Ranma 1/2.
There's others that I can't think of specific names for. Scenario is a guy forced to attend all-girl school, soo..
Usually in Anime they've been used in comedy shows more than superhero ones.

There's Kanata in Oto x Mahou. Forced by mother to sign a contract.. Jr. high boy turns into Magical Girl hero to deal with troubles. But this is a manga... Unsure if it was ever animated.

I can't officially think of any other 'hero' type ones at the moment.
Japan however, has had the CD notions I think more well known than in US histories.
(Used in known stories,identified as a theater/actor class,etc).

While Sailor Moon's clothes transformations are well known..it's not really CD.. Although I think Sailor Neptune and Sailor Uranus were the ones that technically were lesbian (no matter how US translators reworked the show in US) - The Uranus regular form had her mainly dressing more masculine as a guy in RL (suits-sports jackets,etc but would might be considered technically to be FtM CD)

Off topic, FYI, there's a new series of Sailor Moon coming out beginning in late Dec or January I think in Japan. But streamed worldwide.

erica12b
12-06-2013, 02:37 PM
in anima ,this is a corpse zombie , he is a magic garment girl , funny show i like it .

Beverley Sims
12-06-2013, 03:02 PM
Super girl races into a booth and out comes Clark Kent.

In todays society she would race into a unisex toilet like the rest of us. :)

Zylia
12-06-2013, 03:07 PM
Well, Superman's pal Jimmy Olsen has some serious cross-dressing skills (http://www.tgfa.org/comics/jimmy_olsen/jimmy_olsen.htm) of course.

DC and Marvel don't have that many racially, culturally or 'sexually' diverse characters as one might think. The most prominent 'diverse' character in recent history that I can think of is Miles Morales, the new Ultimate Spider-Man (not regular 'Amazing' Spider-Man, mind you, different universe), an African American/Latino kid who took over after Ultimate Peter Parker died. Last year, DC reintroduced the original Green Lantern Alan Scott as a gay man. Only recently, Marvel introduced the first US Muslim superhero that I know of as the new Ms. Marvel.

bimini1
12-06-2013, 03:47 PM
When I used to see Adam West and Burt Ward battling The Joker both clad in some kind of leotard & tights I just had to chuckle at the irony of it all.

sarahspinkdress
12-06-2013, 03:58 PM
I'm kind of a huge anime nerd, so that's where my focus is.

There's an anime called Ixion Saga DT which features a transgender girl named Mariandale. I tried to watch it some just for that character, but the show is realllllllly bad. I guess that's a start though? lol

In Black Butler (Kuroshitsuji) there's a subplot that requires the main character Ciel to crossdress to infiltrate a party. The outfit became pretty iconic for the character. I've looked into buying and cosplaying a version of it, but I think I'm a bit too tall (the character is a kid).

This
http://download.minitokyo.net/Ciel.Phantomhive.369700.jpg
Became
http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs50/i/2009/335/2/c/pink_dress_ciel_by_bloody_death_bringer.jpg

I can think of a few other anime characters who are certainly unclear in their gender, (Crona from Soul Eater for example) but it's hard to think of too many out and out crossdressers.

sarahspinkdress
12-06-2013, 04:01 PM
Well, Superman's pal Jimmy Olsen has some serious cross-dressing skills (http://www.tgfa.org/comics/jimmy_olsen/jimmy_olsen.htm) of course.

DC and Marvel don't have that many racially, culturally or 'sexually' diverse characters as one might think. The most prominent 'diverse' character in recent history that I can think of is Miles Morales, the new Ultimate Spider-Man (not regular 'Amazing' Spider-Man, mind you, different universe), an African American/Latino kid who took over after Ultimate Peter Parker died. Last year, DC reintroduced the original Green Lantern Alan Scott as a gay man. Only recently, Marvel introduced the first US Muslim superhero that I know of as the new Ms. Marvel.

That's a really good list also. I think Ultimate Colossus from X-Men is actually gay as well.

Deedee Skyblue
12-06-2013, 05:44 PM
There is no reason a superheroine can't wear a miniskirt. Superheroines have been wearing miniskirts since the 1940s. A CD superheroine in a miniskirt would probably need to tuck - but in a comic book, that wouldn't be a problem.

Deedee

BTW, like the handle, Lelak. You are kind of a supergirl yourself, eh?

stephNE
12-06-2013, 06:30 PM
I always think about Eddie Izzard taking about an entire army- the first transvestite brigade.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPML-n1kRnY

lynnef
12-06-2013, 08:44 PM
awww.... how could anyone forget Jun watarase? (Happiness!)
http://mkmiku.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/jun-watarase-happiness-trap.jpg

Krystalina
12-06-2013, 10:14 PM
What about Moldiver? It has instances of MTF crossdressing and FTM crossdressing. It is a henshin hero anime about this young scientist who builds this transformation device to change into Captain Tokyo. However, his sister tampers with the device, changing the resulting outfit from a typical Superman-esque male suit to a Sailor Fuku-inspired outfit. In the resulting adventures, the device malfunctions from time to time, so if the sister uses it and changes into her Sailor Fuku form, it would sometime put her in the male suit. If the brother transformed, he at one point ended up in the Sailor uniform.

Code Geass, as one of those extra things...I think it was one of the radio shows or something...where Lelouch Lamporouche and his schoolmates dressed up as women for one of the crazy things the school president told them to participate in(she had a lot of political power). I have to admit...he looked ravishing(and one of the classmates even admitted that the year before, two male classmates "came out").

And no one is mentioning Gundam 00's Tiera Erde?!(I might have misspelled his name). Basically, he is one of the "pretty boy" archtypes of Japanese anime, who wears glasses and is a big part of the overall plot. There is an episode where he crossdresses as a very hot chick to find out information from the series' antagonists. Man, was I envious!

There's Birdie The Mighty, about a female alien who accidently kills a male teen and have to share his body with him.

The Slayers have had episodes throughout the various seasons with the male heroes having to crossdress(some of my faves).

All the talk about Sailormoon, but no mention of the Sailor Starlights, who are, for all intents and purposes, true crossdressers; they look the same in female and male forms, although in the manga, they are females in disguise, while the anime, I think they were both(i.e. they shifted from male to female Sailor Senshi form).

Would Haku from the first Naruto series be a crossdresser? He is the gentle, though deadly shinobi who is with the series first major villian, Zabusa.

BTW...SHEZOW IS AWESOME! YOU GO GIRL!

Also, forgot...Masquerade from Milestone Comics(now owned by DC)'s Blood Syndicate. She was a shapeshifter who was also a female-to-male crossdresser(i.e. her main form was that of a black male).

Krystalina
12-06-2013, 10:16 PM
I'm kind of a huge anime nerd, so that's where my focus is.

There's an anime called Ixion Saga DT which features a transgender girl named Mariandale. I tried to watch it some just for that character, but the show is realllllllly bad. I guess that's a start though? lol

In Black Butler (Kuroshitsuji) there's a subplot that requires the main character Ciel to crossdress to infiltrate a party. The outfit became pretty iconic for the character. I've looked into buying and cosplaying a version of it, but I think I'm a bit too tall (the character is a kid).

This
http://download.minitokyo.net/Ciel.Phantomhive.369700.jpg
Became
http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs50/i/2009/335/2/c/pink_dress_ciel_by_bloody_death_bringer.jpg

I can think of a few other anime characters who are certainly unclear in their gender, (Crona from Soul Eater for example) but it's hard to think of too many out and out crossdressers.

*Sigh*

So its not a major plot, or the bulk of it?

I've seen this picture a lot, and wanted to check out the anime.

Jilmac
12-06-2013, 11:33 PM
It wouldn't necessarily have to be a crime fighting hero. How about an every day hero such as a guy who takes over raising a family after the death of his wife. He could have a work at home job and be dressed en femme for work and his family. Perhaps the show could even have a cross dressing relative in a serious role as an advocate for lgbt affairs. That's my idea of a hero.

AmyGaleRT
12-07-2013, 03:20 AM
Another example: In the series Genesis Climber MOSPEADA (adapted as the "Third Robotech War" in the American Robotech series), there was Yellow Belmont (Lance "Lancer" Belmont in Robotech), who disguised himself as a female singer ("Yellow Dancer") to hide from the Inbit (Invid), and later used his ability to change his physical appearance to help the team of freedom fighters infiltrate various places. That's someone who understands the practical applications of CD'ing! :)

- Amy

LelaK
12-07-2013, 10:23 AM
I may not get time to comment on all the neat ideas and characters you girls have brought up. But I looked up Jun, so I may as well show my findings.

Jun Watarase
This video seems to regard Jun as a "trap" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0eVLZXiUqw , but she does look very pretty in all of her scenes (I just wish they wouldn't make the eyes so ridiculously large in Anime etc).

Here's what Wikipedia says about Jun at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happiness!
Jun Watarase (渡良瀬 準 Watarase Jun?)
Voiced by: Fūri Samoto (PC), Michiru Yuimoto (PS2/anime)
Jun is another of Yūma's close friends. Despite his feminine appearance, he is in fact an androgynous okama boy who crossdresses like a girl. He himself says he does this because the female school uniform suits him better and does make him popular among male students. Also, he has the desire to date Yūma himself, but Yūma being entirely heterosexual strongly refuses. He often says or does things that would be seen as ironic, such as saying how perverted men are, when he himself is male. Jun's signature attack, the Patriot Missile Kick, is a flying side kick, normally used as a means to keep Hachi under control.

Oh, I LOVE Irony.

LelaK
12-07-2013, 10:29 AM
I just had the thought that a MtF CD sidekick might be even more interesting than a CD hero. The CDer could still be heroic, but a GG could be the main hero whom the sidekick would be in love with, and she could be interested in reciprocation.

PatChick
12-07-2013, 04:04 PM
He could use a "cross"bow

Mona
12-07-2013, 09:40 PM
Kenjiro Hato in Genshiken 2 crossdresses, sometimes he likes to be a boy and sometimes ...well we know, don't we!

Jessica S
12-08-2013, 12:56 PM
here is one I saw a long time ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSbkK61rHq4

cupcake
12-08-2013, 01:44 PM
Not so much CD but a gay couple, the wildstorm comic "The Authority" has Apollo and Midnighter. They are kind of a batman/superman takeoff. Anyway, there relationship was hinted at for awhile and confirmed in a where's Waldo style kiss. Eventually they got married and adopted Jenny Quantum.

Not sure if it's the greatest example because their relationship also seems to be made fun of by many and used as a punchline at times.

Krystalina
12-09-2013, 04:55 PM
Not so much CD but a gay couple, the wildstorm comic "The Authority" has Apollo and Midnighter. They are kind of a batman/superman takeoff. Anyway, there relationship was hinted at for awhile and confirmed in a where's Waldo style kiss. Eventually they got married and adopted Jenny Quantum.

Not sure if it's the greatest example because their relationship also seems to be made fun of by many and used as a punchline at times.

As a fan of the characters and the comic...I didn't see the relationship between the two made fun of. In fact, they were two of the biggest asskickers on the team:). In one of the storyarcs, there is this awesome scene where Midnighter goes on a rampage when rescuing his team, getting revenge for an earlier violent attack on Apollo by the adversaries, The Americans(analogs of Marvel's Avengers). It involves him using a jackhammer on the leader of the Americans. Yes, do not mess with Apollo when Midnighter was around.

If anything, DC's recent reboot screwed up their characterization, imho.

"The 21st century is a bad time to be a *******, children". The Midnighter.

Krystalina
12-09-2013, 04:59 PM
I wrote on Shezow months ago:

"I pride myself on having a very open mind(as I basically give the FU to society and its conforming), or try my damnest to have one...so I don't get the hate for Shezow, a cartoon about a young boy named Guy who finds his Aunt's magical ring(as she was secretly the world famous superheroine Shezow) and accidently bonds with it, becoming the inheritor of the Shezow role. So basically, he's forced into the role of a superheroic crossdresser.

And?

Its funny to go online and read about how mothers are upset and all that about Hub's Austrilian/Canadian superheroine offering, and getting all of their transgendered terms mixed up. No, Shezow/Guy is not transgendered in any way, and he is not even a crossdresser. In fact, the show is awesome because of its exploration and emphasis on gender roles and double standards. We wouldn't probably think twice if it was a woman taking on a mascaline identity, but a young boy having to become a superheroine...perish the thought!! Also, the fact that Shezow is reminscent of a superheroine of the Silver Age, ala Betty Kane Batgirl or Marvel's infamous "housewife heroines" like Invisible Girl...i.e. the heroines who were written to be weaker than their male counterparts and acting, in battle as well as all around, as stereotypical damsels in distress with weapons like makeup traps...is cool to showcase as well.

I'm now a huge fan of the show, and hope to see it continue. Hell, there is room to explore transgendered/crossdressing concepts in my opinion(my future Blue stories(Blackout '77) have several individuals, and Wedding Blitz has one), because just like concepts about different races, creeds, and nationalities, gender identity has to be talked about in order to educate the masses. Essentially, the more it is understood, the less(hopefully) that people will stop being fearful and hateful."

VirtuaGrl
12-09-2013, 11:08 PM
Let us not forget the most obvious of all cross dressing superhero[ine]s.... Captain Crossdresser!

There were only ever the three episodes that I am aware of, but this one always made me smile and get a severe case of the what ifs...

The Adventures of Captain Crossdresser (ep 1)
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WSbkK61rHq4

The Adventures of Captain Crossdresser (ep 2)
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sFJ5pSeZXDI

The Adventures of Captain Crossdresser (ep 3)
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=D6TQ-YH1Zyk

docrobbysherry
12-09-2013, 11:57 PM
For them to come up with one on TV or in movies. So, I became one myself!:D

Barbara Dugan
12-10-2013, 12:09 AM
The first Shojo Manga...Osamu Tezuka's Princess Knight ''Ribon no Kishi'' was the first time I saw a heroine that gender bend