PDA

View Full Version : I'll never want to be called a sissy

MarciManseau
12-06-2013, 10:58 AM
When I was young, preteen, I was often called names, and sissy was the worst one. I've always been very small and thin, feminine also to be honest, so naturally all the bullies and air heads felt it was their duty to degrade me. So when I see someone here calling themselves a sissy, I guess I'm confused.

Does anyone else here hate being called a sissy?

Jackie7
12-06-2013, 11:00 AM
I didn't like it when I was a skinny kid but I don't mind now.

PatChick
12-06-2013, 11:02 AM
I don't have a strong feeling abut it either way, but I think it's a fetish. Not sure if it's common in CDers or not, but some people like to get degraded.

KayleeTaylor
12-06-2013, 11:05 AM
Oh, I was teased, bullied, harassed so much in school. No, I never did like being called that. I felt so lost, sad, afraid, alone, miserable. I guess there are a million words to describe how I felt, non of them were happy.

Jenniferathome
12-06-2013, 11:08 AM
...Does anyone else here hate being called a sissy?

I have never been called that but it has a very negative connotation when applied externally. For those that use the term her to describe themselves, there must be some alternate meaning or feeling that comes with it.

Gillian Gigs
12-06-2013, 11:38 AM
I'm with you on this one, with my history it has a negative connotation also.

Majella St Gerard
12-06-2013, 11:48 AM
I don't mind it, sometimes my wife will call me her little sissy boy. It all depends on when and how it is said. Being called sissy during "play-time" is a turn on for me, I'm sure others feel the same way. I wouldn't mind having a pink sissy maid uniform to wear every once in a while. If a stranger calls me a sissy in a demeaning manner then that's different, then I might have to show them that I'm all man underneath this dress. Not by flashing but by standing up for myself and if need be, fight if I have to, I come from Hudson Cty NJ, I can fight, I grew up fighting almost everyday.

Rachael Leigh
12-06-2013, 11:48 AM
For me to be called a sissy would be used in fetish play. The word invokes a feeling of inferiority and submissiveness. However as a general rule I don't want to be called that. If I'm dressed Leigh would be the name I want to be called and on male mode well won't say the name here but you know what I mean .

Kate Simmons
12-06-2013, 11:51 AM
Nah, I'm not a "sissy" I just like to dress like one. Anyone got a problem with that? :heehee::battingeyelashes::)

Alice Torn
12-06-2013, 11:54 AM
Panty-waist is another word almost as bad, maybe worse.

NicoleScott
12-06-2013, 11:54 AM
Sissy can be a lifestyle for some, or for others like me who think it's just a dressing style. I don't have a sissy dress, but I wish I did.
Some people think that men with effeminate speech or mannerisms are sissies. That's just how some men are, and it doesn't necessarily point to any other crossing over of sexual or gender behavior norms. As with any unwanted name-calling, you can tell people you don't want to be called a sissy.
So, sissy is a legitimate word that properly describes those who act or dress a certain way, and it should not be banned. If I had that sissy dress I wish I had, I wouldn't object to being called a sissy when wearing it.

kimdl93
12-06-2013, 12:05 PM
I didn't like being teased for effeminate interests or mannerisms....but at 6'2" and 230, I haven't heard that word applied.

docrobbysherry
12-06-2013, 12:06 PM
Funny how many dressers brag about being sissies on the web. The word doesn't appeal to me. I'm not one. Altho I wish Sherry was. Sadly, she's far from being able to act like a sissy!

Valarie
12-06-2013, 12:10 PM
Hi Marci, I have seen a lot about the sissy sub culture, it is not for me. I usually say to each their own, but I do not like people thinking that I am a sissy. It is more of a fetish, but something that I do not like, it runs the line between forced feminization, which I do not agree with because no one can force you to be anything you are not. I understand that men that claim to be sexually submissive sissy's find pleasure from the humiliation, but I have been humiliated enough growing up, so I wont let anyone have that power over me and refer to me as a sissy. LOL sorry girls this was my little rant I have been wanting to get this out for awhile.

BillieJoEllen
12-06-2013, 01:50 PM
My father used to call me a sissy. I had a lot to live up to with him. When I was fifteen I was caught wearing my sister's clothes. My father and I had the 'talk' about me doing that. The word sissy was used quite a bit. I really wouldn't mind being called a sissy but then again that's just me.

MarciManseau
12-06-2013, 02:10 PM
Luckily for me, my father wasn't around to call me names. I'm sorry that your father felt that was the way to talk to you.

Tracii G
12-06-2013, 02:13 PM
I understand some like to be called that in a fetish way so for them thats fine.
Here in Bubba land sissy means one thing and one thing only and its not something good.
I never got the submissive or degrading thing as a fetish but I know its out there................way out there.
I have been called a fag,homo,queer and called the bruiser out but he backed off when he saw I wasn't afraid of him.
If he had called me a sissy I may have popped him in the nose right in the store.
I don't care for the term sissy applied to me personally.

NancyJ
12-06-2013, 02:23 PM
I was called other names when I was a kid, bit "sissy" wasn't a name I got called. I always, and still project a masculine persona when I am not dressed. However, I am fine with Nancy being referred to as a sissy, as I find it such a "dirly" term.. But, for me it would depend on who is using it and their tone. For my SO to use the term would be a playful tease, and for any Trans person to call me a sissy I would take as a term of endearment. Nancy

erica12b
12-06-2013, 02:23 PM
as far as i can tell it is a fetish term , they like the humilliate and made to do things (cleaning ,house and wife-so ), also it is extreme feminization and mostly on the extreme pink side -i don't get it . cant stand it in stories and hate that we are lumped in with them when conservitives say crossdresser's are like this

just the extreme end of the spectrum

Confucius
12-06-2013, 02:45 PM
You call me a sissy and you better expect a solid punch to your nose. Nothing personal, it's just a natural reflex.

"Does this petticoat make me look like a sissy?"
"No ma'am."

Beverley Sims
12-06-2013, 02:50 PM
I have the same problems as you had when younger.
It is used as a fetish term these days but young children use the term to the same effect as it was used years ago.

mary something
12-06-2013, 02:56 PM
I wonder if the people that do enjoy being called sissy or being humiliated do so because of past experiences from childhood or whatever? No judgement here, it's just a word, it's more the attitude of someone than the words that would bother me

LilSissyStevie
12-06-2013, 03:12 PM
Being a sissy ain't for sissies.

Rachelakld
12-06-2013, 03:46 PM
For me, I evaluate any term (including sissy), by the intent of the person who uses the words, my daughters use it with love and affection, other people (in my school days) I've bashed up for using the same word

vallerie lacy
12-06-2013, 04:00 PM
Even though I was small and skinny, I was never called a sissy. Never liked the term, till one of the girls told me to google The Sissy Store when we were talking about cute little girlie dresses. Now I wish I had a few of them to wear around the house. Now I not only don't mind the term, but would love to look like one, all dolled up. Other than that, I'd like to kick anyone's ass who called me one.

brassieres
12-06-2013, 04:06 PM
Only want to be called a sissy if I am dressed as a sissy maid.

GretchenJ
12-06-2013, 04:31 PM
When I was young, preteen, I was often called names, and sissy was the worst one. I've always been very small and thin, feminine also to be honest, so naturally all the bullies and air heads felt it was their duty to degrade me. So when I see someone here calling themselves a sissy, I guess I'm confused.

Does anyone else here hate being called a sissy?

No, I am not a particular fan of that term as well. Move over, a majority of the TG fiction on the internet has sissy as a prevalent theme, and honestly does not portray the majority of us in a very favorable light.

:2c:

katssun
12-06-2013, 05:10 PM
When I was younger, calling someone else a "sissy" is always a way for the speaker to prop up their own masculinity by cutting down the target's. I honestly don't think it ever bothered me, because it says as much about the speaker as it tries to be an insult. It's a pretty tame one, because there are tomboys just like there are effeminate men, especially nowadays. A man "taking care of himself" could refer to a "metrosexual" or someone who just always wants to look their best. It's diminished as a general insult.

As I got older...and especially as I got more into crossdressing, "sissy" began to mean the fetish play version like Gretchen said. It's a very specific type of CD or TG individual, and nearly always sexual in nature (I don't mean to generalize though).

The stereotype of being a sissy-type crossdresser bothers me a quite a bit now, because it casts all crossdressers and M-to-F transgendered people as some type of sexual deviant. I know there are plenty of sissy-types that enjoy it simply because they like the clothing or want to look extremely feminine or submissive.

Nevertheless, using "sissy" as a blanket term for all CD/TG individuals undermines the social acceptance of the what we are, and that's exactly why certain people use it as a hateful term. It tags us all as sexual deviants, pariahs.

LelaK
12-06-2013, 07:48 PM
You're all a bunch of sissies, I mean those who hate that word. What's the matter? Can't stand a word? If a word hurts you, sticks and stones really will. I'm man (girl) enough to take it if anyone wants to call me that. Go ahead, make my day!

I'm just playin with ya's. I like the word, Sissy. I think a lot of people use it to mean a boy who's a coward or something. But the word actually comes from the word, sister, I believe. And Sissy is what my family called my oldest sister. And she never was a coward or very delicate to speak of. So I never associated Sissy with cowards usually. There also used to be a tv show starring Brian Keith in which his character had twins, a boy and a girl, and the girl's name was Sissy. No, wait. Her name was Buffy. It was their older sister who was called Cissy (now that I checked with Wikipedia). And the butler, Mr. French, called her Miss Cissy.

So I've always been kind of fond of the term, Sissy. You can call me that any time. I don't see anything humiliating in it.

There's also Cissy McGuinness and Sissy Spacek and girls like this:
http://klamathnews.net/sites/klamathnews.net/images/sissy1.jpg
or this:
http://www.clubgurls.com/details/prs588/prissy-sissy-trixie-2.jpg.

MsMandy
12-06-2013, 09:46 PM
I think when someone takes a derogatory wood, turns around and owns it, it changes it to a source of pride... Can be quite powerful.

MissPaula
12-07-2013, 12:05 PM
I agree with you Tracii....after joining some online sites and seeing girls calling themselves "sissy", etc I had to remind myself that some are here strictly for fantasy play. If you have ever been called sissy, fag, etc growing up, it's not something you would ever call yourself.

Pandys
12-07-2013, 12:14 PM
I think "sissy" like many words are just that, words. Said to be hurtful they are but have there place in other contexts.

Anneliese
12-07-2013, 12:17 PM
I was called a sissy and a fag in junior high school, which was mainly because I was best friends with the school genius who was tall and awkward and effeminate (now happily married). Maybe it's where I live, but I just don't hear people, even rednecks, slamming me or anyone else these days, at least to our/their faces. That seems to have largely disappeared since the PC movement kicked in, which is a good aspect of something I'm otherwise opposed to. I assume that kind of commentary is still alive in small-town USA, as well as in the Deep South etc.

Jacqui Summers
12-07-2013, 02:21 PM
The association with fetish play and submission, "forced" femme, revolves around shame and humiliation. In those contexts the word seems to be used in the same insulting manner as it was in the schoolyard. As an insult I wouldn't want to be called a sissy at all. But we can and do turn words around. There are many examples of former insults being turned into affectionate terms. So it's all in the intent for me. I haven't been called sissy affectionately, but I can imagine it, and think I might even like it...

Bethany38
12-07-2013, 02:27 PM
I have always dis-liked this word. I understand some here like it and that's o.k. for them. I on the other hand do not like being called a sissy.

Crissy Kay
12-07-2013, 02:33 PM
You all make it sound like its the "N" word for cds. Its just a word. I tend to agree with MsMandy on this.

katssun
12-07-2013, 03:01 PM
I think it is more that those of us who are not into sissy fetish play don't like being associated with it, plenty of folks out there assume just because you are a CD, that you are into frills and submissiveness. That image isn't helped by the point that a lot of CD/TG sites focus on it, because that sort of fetish play is popular, even in the bedrooms of the non-CD/TG community.

It's similar to any ethnic or LGBT stereotypes. The association of it with the entire community does more harm than good, even if it is true some of the time.

Veronica27
12-07-2013, 03:36 PM
For those of us who grew up in the "dark ages", before political correctness, self-esteem and everyone is a "winner", sissy was an extremely derogatory word. It was lower on the scale of insults than any of the ethnic terms used to describe members of any particular ethnic, national or racial group. There were then, and still are, words used to describe any particular group of individuals based on who and what they were. Many of these have been more or less banned by the rules of political correctness, even though they were used by large segments of the population as simple identifiers with no malice of intent. For some strange reasons, some of these remain acceptable despite the ban on others. Some words were beyond the identification intentions of the users, and were meant to insult or belittle others. Sissy was one of those, along with a myriad of other words as well as many of the usual profanities. As one who believes in individual freedom, we are free to call ourselves whatever we wish, including sissy, but I disagree with those who say it is only a word because all of those "banned" racial slurs are just words as well. Language does evolve, but good understandable communication requires a degree of precision of meanings.

Veronica

SallySC
01-06-2014, 12:05 PM
I really don't mind being called a sissy (after all..I do have a gorgeous set of french manicured nails on ALL the time, wear skinny girl jeans or leggings and Sometimes have clear lip gloss on) ....I guess I don't mind it because I am a sissy...and love being this way.

NicoleScott
01-06-2014, 12:19 PM
If you hear the word used improperly, point it out, and explain why. I'm not for banning words that have legitimate use with their other meanings, as "sissy" does.
This reminds me of a news story a year or so ago. The students voted to name the school nickname "cougars", but the school board disallowed it because it "was demeaning to women". Oh please. The Word Police have gone too far.

JamieG
01-06-2014, 12:42 PM
Hi Marci,

I think I'm like you. I hated being called sissy as a kid, and I don't particularly care for the term now. I try to dress like a stylish woman and tend to avoid places where there are excessive numbers of bigots, so I haven't had anyone call me a sissy to my face in a long time.

Jamie

Samantha_Smile
01-06-2014, 12:53 PM
The term sissy have purely negative connotations for me. Both in the past and in the present.
Not that the term 'sissy' was ever widely used where I grew up in the UK, as a means of bullying or belittling, but I would never have like to have been called it.
Present day, well that's just not my thing.
I get that there are certain corners of the community where pink satin, puff sleeves and ruffles are the height of fashion, and yea, tastefully applied, those style points can look great, and who doesn't love satin - It feels bloody lovely.
Hell, get me drunk enough, I'd wear a 'sissy' type dress for a chuckle.

But what gets to me, I think, is the way I read and hear about the 'sissy' group conducting themselves.
The ideology that you dress up to project yourself as being inferior and receive humiliating punishments etc just seems like misogyny.
If humiliation floats your boat, I'm really happy for you, hell at least you're having fun to the harm of nobody.
But its the way that they use this female role as the personification of inferiority.

I could be way off on this, but that's how I see it, and Im not sure much will change my mind on the matter.
Just my 2 cents
:)

Stephanie47
01-06-2014, 01:07 PM
I have never been called a 'sissy.' When I was growing up in the 1950's and 1960's 'sissy' was meant to demean a boy. I still believe the term is meant to demean a male. If someone knew that I was a cross dresser would 'sissy' irritate me? Yes! Why??? Because the term as applied to a cross dressing man is to not only demean him for his lack of perceived masculinity, but, really also casts a negative connotation toward women.

When I peruse eBay I notice numerous offerings for feminine attire in larger/pus sizes that scream 'sissy.' I don't know how plus size women perceive such ads. Maybe, if there are some plus size GG's on this thread they can tell me how they perceive it. I suspect many men are willing to bid more than a woman for the lingerie? Today I viewed a black full slip that has a 44 inch side seam. That is very enticing. The offering screamed "sissy."

Of course, some have a fetish that the term 'sissy' is applicable. A cross dressing man who is or wants to be dominated by a woman is usually called a "sissy." Even used in that relationship the term relates to a lack of manliness.

Karren H
01-06-2014, 01:32 PM
"Sissy" rates right up there with "hun" on my most disliked list...

Melissa_59
01-06-2014, 02:37 PM
Panty-waist is another word almost as bad, maybe worse.

Response: "Shows how much YOU know, my panties don't rise that high..."

Angela Campbell
01-06-2014, 03:15 PM
When I was growing up I hated the term "sissy". I was called that a lot. I was smaller than all the others, weaker, not a bit aggressive or competitive and generally did not mix well with the boys. I guess I hated being called that so much because I knew I was one. I knew I was not like the other boys, not at all, but to be branded a "sissy" was almost as bad as being suspected of being a homosexual which was basically an invitation for violence. A death sentence. "Sissy" was just a small step away, but there I was.

I guess that is to be expected when you demand a girl be brought up as a boy.

AnnieMac
01-06-2014, 03:31 PM
I kind of hated the word sissy when I was growing up being called that for simply just having girls as my best friends, and also hating when they called other people that for just liking something girly or less than manly. Shoot I got called "sissy" once or twice for just taking piano lessons for gosh sakes. To me I don't associate any kind of weird fetish to that word.

But today is different. I really like the word, as a cute term of endearment for us, or how I describe myself. Sometimes a really hate the word "cross-dresser", as much as anyone might hate "transvestite". "Cross-dresser" is all tied up in Jerry Springer show titles, so that word isn't much better.
I just decided we should just "own" the word "sissy, much like African-Americans took and owned the "N"-word, and took hate out of it, as in "How you doin' my n....ah?
I thought that was really brilliant. Just suck the hate right out of a word, by using it as a word of connecting, and render it useless for hurting anyone.