PDA

View Full Version : Tired of Going to Atlanta

Maria2004
01-02-2006, 08:11 PM
I've only been out about 2 years now, my 1st public outting being Dec 2004 which was about 6 months after coming out to my wife. That 1st outting was to a Tri-Ess xmas party in Atlanta and what few other outtings had always been to Atlanta, a 2 hour drive and several hundred $$$ in room, food, fuel, etc... besides it takes me a few days to prep for an outting and 6 straight hours of final work so it has been frustrating not being able to go out as much as I would like or "need". Being out in public is the most important and fulfilling thing for me.

I always dreamed of going out locally here in Columbus but didn't out of consideration for my family but times have changed. I have come out to so many people here now, friends, family, co-worker that it's like no longer an issue for me since I have been accepted by all and now know that while dressed en-femm I'm totally unrecognizable :cool: So today I made a dream come true from my closethood days and "went OUT" right here in my own little burg to test the waters and find out where I can go without undue harrassment.

1st of all I had purchased a gown that was too small and I wanted to return it to JC Penney's and get my money back then go to Macey's and shop. I was ready by 3 pm and went out in my neighborhood for the 1st time in broad daylight to hop in the car and go. I arrived at Peachtree Mall with my gown in tow and went into Penny's. I was pretty much ignored, I naturally caught the eyes of the guys, a slender 6'-2" brunette is hard to ignore in that regard ;) and of course children seemed fastinated. I had no problems returning my gown, the lady was very polite and I got my money back and procceded to Macey's which was on the opposite end of the mall, so I got to walk the entire length. The mall was packed with every strata of society, culture and education evident, no one said so much as boo to me, yes I got looks and if someone stared I stared back and they averted their eyes.

I spent as much time in Macey's as I wanted then walked back to the other end of the mall, went out to my car and had a smoke and took a pic, then went to a resturant for diner, the "WildFish" across from the mall. The girls at the WildFish were very polite and kind so I struck up a conversation with my waitress and made a new friend, we exchanged numbers and she invited me out to hang with her and her friends. I had asked her "was she trained to deal with xdressers or was she familiar with the lifestyle" and turned out she was familiar with it, but everyone in the resturant was kind and fun and they even took a pic with me.

So now I know I can run around my own little town as Maria and I have made some friends and use all that money I used to spend going to Atlanta on "Maria stuff" ^_^

Too all you girls in the Columbus/Phenix City area who see this, e-mail or PM me, times have changed, we really don't have anything to fear now.

Love Maria

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b267/maria04/theoutfit.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b267/maria04/theparkinglot.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b267/maria04/newfriends.jpg

Phoebe Reece
01-02-2006, 08:23 PM
Looking good Maria! I think it's great you've discovered you can get out and about close to home. But, your friends in Atlanta miss seeing you.....

Gale R
01-02-2006, 08:27 PM
Hi Maria, good for you girl and saving yourself a few bucks along the way.:D
Like the outfit, you look like any normal GG out shopping.:)

Wenda
01-02-2006, 08:28 PM
Great pics! Congratulations on a great achievement! Wow. What a rush! For most of us, the mental challenge is much greater than the actual event"

Sophia Rearen
01-02-2006, 08:34 PM
Maria,
Good for you, girl! Way to go. May 2006 be your year enfemme.

Maria2004
01-02-2006, 08:37 PM
Looking good Maria! I think it's great you've discovered you can get out and about close to home. But, your friends in Atlanta miss seeing you.....

Thanks Phoebe, I miss you all too, but it has been so hard trying to get up there. I still want to come when I can, the "Spring Cotillion" for sure :D but it's great to be able to "go out" more often now, helps keep that frustration level in check :cool:

Linda-x
01-02-2006, 08:41 PM
For most of us, the mental challenge is much greater than the actual event"

That is so true ! Way to go, girl! I know exactly what you mean about the need to be out in public. By the way you look great ! I'm no expert, but as far as people staring, and you looking back until they look away, as in a challenge,( I know, I used to do that), try a nice smile. It works wonders, and keeps your mood up. Now get back out there, girl ! :)

Helana
01-03-2006, 01:09 AM
Hi Maria

It is great that you now realise that you can go out locally, this will help your self-confidence immensely. And your pics look great too. My only other comment following up on Linda's post is to smile! you look way too serious...:D Look at your picture with the two girls, look at their natural easy smiles, if you can copy that look then you will be a winner every time.

This is actually great advice to everyone, even forcing a smile onto your face makes you feel better and helps release the nervous energy from being out in public. So next time go out, place a big grin on your face, have a happy tune playing in your head and before you know it you will be swinging along exuding confidence and will get even more compliments.;)

PS. Dont think you need to out-stare strangers. It is completely normal for people to stare at you, its part and parcel of being a woman, although as men we are completely unused to being so visible. So dont worry about why people stare at you, just get used to the idea that as a woman it is going to happen and is unrelated as to whether you are passing or not. Just smile back at them:cool:

Maria2004
01-03-2006, 07:07 AM
I know your right girls, but you have to give me a break on this one. One thing that's usally discussed here is the gut wrenching fear of going out dressed and being harrassed. It's one thing to go out with a bunch of other xdressers in a group in a major city and another to be alone in a smaller southern city with rednecks, testosterone drenched young soldiers, and southern Baptists (no offense to Baptists intended). I was nervous and automaticaly in combat mode, ready to defend my right to exist. Being alone is really different from being in a group. I really didn't feel relaxed until I got to the resturant and experienced the kindness shown by the girls there.

This was only my second daylight outting ever, and the 1st at home. As I become more comfortable with that I know the smiles will come, they have too since I feel so happy being out in the real world. Thanks for your input :)

Love Maria

Helana
01-04-2006, 02:59 AM
Maria

Everyone who has ventured outside knows exactly what you are feeling!! My first few ventures were all by myself so I probably looked ready to murder anyone who came across me. You will always be nervous stepping out the door but hopefully you will soon get into the groove of just feeling great about being outside and let that happiness show through.:)