PDA

View Full Version : Do you think this gives us a bad reputation...does it offend you ?

Adriana Moretti
12-12-2013, 02:59 AM
Sorry If this has been brought up before...and sorry for being a bit dark here...but does that scene in Silence Of The Lambs where the killer crossdresses bother you ? Do you feel we get a bad wrap for it ? Do you think it has hurt us or made us look bad? It IS a pretty creepy scene. Our public image is important...and this scene just does not help us at all.

Rachelakld
12-12-2013, 03:53 AM
In a suburb of Auckland, a large group of CD / TS hookers gather every night to do trade.
They pee on the side walk, poo in peoples lawns and abuse the locals.
They also make national news headlines with their offensive behavior regularly.
They move through the city as each neighbourhood kicks them out, 6 months here, 5 months there etc

So no, I'm not offended by a fictional killer who crossdresses

Adriana Moretti
12-12-2013, 04:22 AM
thats gross ...my point is though although fictional...it shows us in a very dark light...people believe what they see, and I think it makes us look bad...

Hell on Heels
12-12-2013, 04:26 AM
Hey Adriana, Agreed, that is quite a dark and creepy portrayal of a CD'er.
I'm sure there are some people out there that see that image any time cross dressing is brought up.
I can only hope that I don't become a serial killer and further hurt our community.
How do you feel about seeing the Rocky Horror Picture Show? Seeing that as a teenager really made me
rethink my CD'ing, and quite possibly was responsible for putting it into remission for many years.

Marcelle
12-12-2013, 04:33 AM
To be honest, I think people see what they want to so and certain images only confirm a belief. If the person is a good person and thinks "to each their own" then an image like that would do little to change their opinion. However, if the person in question already thinks we are weird or perverted, this is the type of image which would give them cause to say "I knew it, that is exactly what they are like". In the end however, they already had a bad opinion of us. Where it could damage is those people who sit on the fence about opinions it could drive them opposite direction . . . that is why I try to present in a congenial and friendly manner when out and an about.

Hugs

Isha

Adriana Moretti
12-12-2013, 04:34 AM
I actually enjoyed rocky horror...so maybe I have a double standard I guess ..I got a kick out of it, and saw it as pure fun...but S.O.L really puts a picture in ignorant peoples minds... not to mention makes me VERY cautious with craigslist

Zylia
12-12-2013, 04:36 AM
I didn't know that cross-dressers had a good reputation in the first place. So besides weirdos or sexual deviants and thanks to Silence of the Lambs, people will we're all serial killers as well?

I'm sorry to say I don't feel properly 'represented' by a large portion of the real cross-dressing population, so I'm not all that worried about a fictional character. If I really was offended by a fictional character I probably would have to reassess my priorities.

Adriana Moretti
12-12-2013, 04:41 AM
very good point Zylia....

Beverley Sims
12-12-2013, 05:14 AM
Silence of the lambs was made to shock people, in the overall picture crossdressing is not a big feature.

Secret Drawer
12-12-2013, 06:03 AM
Unfortunately, the media has a far more powerful impact on our daily lives than many of us fully comprehend. Yet it is mostly how the "news" and talk/ reality shows portray us that does most of the damage. The guy who wrote the Rocky Horror Picture Show considers himself gender fused, and 70 percent male 30 female. (Made for an interesting read, BBC article... have to look it up again!) So his intention was more fun and comedic then hurtful to us. The Silence of the Lambs is a very specific character study, and even the most jaded viewer (I am going out on a limb here!!) probably doesn't imagine the average CD is designing their own skin dress!

Dawna Ellen Bays
12-12-2013, 06:33 AM
It should be noted out that both Clarice and Hannibal Lecter both make a point of letting the audience know that "Buffalo Bill" (as the killer was known) was NOT a real transsexual. Clarice went as far to disagree about his "transsexualism" by stating "Transsexuals tend to be very passive."

What I find even more interesting is that Ted Levine, who played "Bill" (who has had quite a successful career after "Silence...") most often plays cops and authority figures in his roles.

I will say that I have seen more than my fair share of internet trolls using that scene to shed a negative light on not only us, but GGs as well. I have a favorite female singer who is very tall and a bit "mannish" in the face who receives a lot of negativity on the web. Often it's the Austin Powers "She's a MAN, baby!" line, but she gets a lot of "put the lotion in the basket!" comments, too...

Erica Marie
12-12-2013, 06:42 AM
Your image may be part of it, but a big part of what the public assumes it that we are all drag queens. Heavy make up and over exaggerated outfits. Most people dont understand its just part of who we are. Not trying to cause any harm or problems, just trying to be comfortable with ourselves.

Kate Simmons
12-12-2013, 06:45 AM
Most people are lead as sheep very easily, especially by the Media. Thinking people are not.:)

Majella St Gerard
12-12-2013, 07:10 AM
My ex-wife didn't like me dressing cause of the movie Dressed to Kill.

I Am Paula
12-12-2013, 09:21 AM
Call me old fashioned, but I think serial killers have a worse reputation than CD's.

Lynn Marie
12-12-2013, 09:40 AM
Of course I'm not happy with anything that reflects poorly on my particular fetish. It's just another of those things I can do very little about, so I don't spend any time or angst thinking about it. I have lots of way more fun and important things to think about.

rachael.davis
12-12-2013, 10:39 AM
I don't much care for Silence of the Lambs, but I also don't care much for Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, Ru Pauls Drag Race, or The Birdcage.
But I'm then not a serial killer, or a drag "showgirl"

I Am Paula
12-12-2013, 10:43 AM
Of course I'm not happy with anything that reflects poorly on my particular fetish. It's just another of those things I can do very little about, so I don't spend any time or angst thinking about it. I have lots of way more fun and important things to think about.

Serial killing, or dressing as a girl?

Cheryl T
12-12-2013, 11:05 AM
There have been numerous movies and TV shows with this type of theme or character.
It doesn't bother me as it is "fiction" per se. It's no worse than other groups being shown stereotypically.

If we as a community present ourselves in the best light that we can then I think it will more than compensate for what Hollywood does.

NicoleScott
12-12-2013, 11:15 AM
Creepy comes in all forms. Killer. Mayor of a big city. etc etc
No, I'm not offended.

kelly0
12-12-2013, 11:42 AM
interesting dialogue.

funny that when i told my wife recently about my CD'ing, she brought this scene in this movie up. so this scene clearly stuck with her and she quickly associated my "news" with this movie.

overall though, it did not make this conversation any worse -- to answer your question

kelly

Stephanie Sometimes
12-12-2013, 11:47 AM
Not offended but I agree that it contributes to give us a bad rap but only because there is a lack of more positive portrayals of CD’ers in the media. I enjoy Rocky Horror but that is camp and fits into a different category of film not to mention that is anything but mainstream. Silence of the Lambs is made to be a creepy film and the serial killer was portrayed as a CD’er to leverage on the feelings of john Q public that we are creepy. They were following Hitchcock’s formula in Psycho (which was a great film notwithstanding the insane serial killer as CD plot gimmick, I forgive Hitch because he’s one of my faves).

A recently released film, Dallas Buyers Club, has another stereotypical portrayal of a CD’er. The role of Rayon in the film was masterfully and poignantly played by Jared Leto who just may win best supporting actor in the Academy Awards for his performance. In this case Rayon, the CD, is not creepy but is a sad case of a down and out drug addict dying from AIDS who walks around in the daylight dressed like a draq queen most of the time. Not a positive portrayal of CD’s at all, I was really disappointed when I saw this film as a result. Anyone else seen Dallas Buyers Club and have an opinion on this?

If anyone knows of films that have more positive portrayals of CD’ers I would love to hear about them. Guess I need to search the archives in this forum for some suggestions.

Hugs,
Stephanie

mariehart
12-12-2013, 11:59 AM
If this was 1991 when the movie was made we might have cause to discuss it's impact on the general population. But it's well over twenty years ago now. In any case it's made clear in the movie that like Hannibal Lecter the killer is very much on his own in terms of his madness. The crossdressing is incidental in any case.

You might just as well say that a movie, for example like Magnum Force (Clint Eastwood) gives a negative image of cops.

If you ask me it's movies like Tootsie and Mrs Doubtfire that annoy the hell out of me. I absolutely detest both of them.

docrobbysherry
12-12-2013, 12:12 PM
It's what Hollywood does to EVERYTHING! Makes up crap about everybody and everything. This has been going on since the very beginning of televised media. Why? Because no one wants to watch regular folks living every day lives in movies and on TV.

I was upset as a youngster. After watching a silly teen surf movie where riding your surfboard, ("shooting the pier"), under the near by Huntington Beach pier was the most incredible thing a surfer could do. Of course, someone in the film was killed attempting it. And, the star a hero for making it thru. But, in fact, even rank beginners like me thot nothing of going under that pier.

I Am Paula
12-12-2013, 01:06 PM
Creepy comes in all forms. Killer. Mayor of a big city. etc etc
No, I'm not offended.

I certainly hope your talking about the mayor of my city. If it was found that Rob ford was a serial killer or a CD, it would be no surprise.

DonnaT
12-12-2013, 02:26 PM
I was not offended, and did not think it pertained to my crossdressing in any way.

However, my wife had issues with it in the movie, and would reference it in her mind.

Most movies that include CDs relegate the CD to a lower lifestyle, such as prostitution. Thus many link CDs to being gay or prostitution based on the perceptions derived from the movies. That I find offensive.

LilSissyStevie
12-12-2013, 02:56 PM
There have been a number of real life serial killers that cross dressed. It's just a fact. For example: Jerry Brudos, BTK & John Wayne Gacy. The Buffalo Bill character in SOTL was loosely based on the crimes of Ed Gein who also inspired the movie Psycho.

AllieSF
12-12-2013, 03:55 PM
A lot of good replies here. I do not think that that portrayal did much, if any, harm to us as a minority group. The vast majority of people have a level of knowledge and common sense that will let them see the uniqueness of someone's presentation, whether as a CD, drag queen, gender queer, nude man on the street, or whatever to be able to realize that that individual does not represent the whole. Yes, some may walk away with a negative opinion, but I believe that would be the minority. I often wonder why women do not get all upset at MtF crossdressers in the best presentations and mannerisms and public interactions because they think that we are demeaning to women in general. They don't because to them it is no big deal and they have basic common sense.

If we go back and see how gays have been and continue to be portrayed on television and the movies we will see what are path will probably be. Initially, they were the flaming gays, ultra feminine with bent wrists and exaggerated mannerisms. They were the comic element in many shows. Now, we are seeing more real life roles and characters where though they are gay, they are just one other aspect of our society and world that we live in. That being said, just look at the current very popular sitcom, "Modern Family", where they have a little bit of everything. The two gay roles still portray the more feminine side of gays in mannerisms, voice inflections and reaction to everyday issues and non-issues. Those characters only portray one of the smaller segments of the gay population.

So, over time as us TG's (umbrella terminology) become more common place in our media driven world, we will also see more demanding and serious roles. I am more than just happy to see us there at all. By being there the rest of the world is learning that we really do exist. Maybe it is only one side of us, but when you see Chandler's MtF Dad/Mom show up at his wedding as the woman that she is, even with the humor, it was a legitimate role. Transamerica was a good movie totally dedicated to a trans woman. More are out there like that and more will definitely come. While humor may not portray us in the best of light, it does not necessarily portray us in the worst either. The same happened for the gay community where they went from that super femme male to "Broke Back Mountain" seriousness.

dragdoll
12-12-2013, 05:13 PM
How do you feel about seeing the Rocky Horror Picture Show? Seeing that as a teenager really made me
rethink my CD'ing, and quite possibly was responsible for putting it into remission for many years.

Hahaha why is that? If anything, that movie inspired me to CD more.

If you ask me it's movies like Tootsie and Mrs Doubtfire that annoy the hell out of me. I absolutely detest both of them.

Yep. If any movies made me want to rethink my CD'ing, its movies like these.

I also agree on what was said about movies like To Wong Foo, Priscilla..., anything with Ru Paul. It's embarrassing.

Brandy 4476
12-12-2013, 07:07 PM
I think people are scared of what they dont understand or dont have the guts to do themselves !

Adriana Moretti
12-12-2013, 07:16 PM
I find all of this VERY interesting....great points made all around !

NicoleScott
12-12-2013, 07:21 PM
I certainly hope your talking about the mayor of my city. If it was found that Rob ford was a serial killer or a CD, it would be no surprise.

Actually, I wasn't. I was referring to San Diego. Your mayor's no angel, but I wouldn't call him creepy. And I wasn't connecting serial killers with any mayor. Just that both and others can be creepy. And not all killers are creepy. Ted Bundy was so successful because he was charming, not creepy. Of course, what he did was creepy.

Valarie
12-12-2013, 07:38 PM
Adriana, great post. I have been thinking a lot about this, how we are viewed because of the media. Definitely when I saw the movie as a kid I was really confused. I already had feelings that what I was doing was not right, when I saw "it puts the lotion on the skin!" I was even more confused. We make assumptions about how people should be because of film and television. A good is example comes from my students, I am a T.A. and a lot tell me that they based college on what they saw on tv and movies, and when they joined sororities, and frat and saw that people did not get drunk and crazy every weekend, but volunteered in the community and had high GPAs they were confused.

It is up to us to shatter those preconceived notions of what a CD/TS/TG person should be like. I happen to love Tim Curry as a sweet transvestite so I was a little conflicted like you. When we come out to people and in public they may think we are some kind of "weirdo" but after awhile they see we are just normal people. Actually I have a bigger problem with Tyler Perry in a dress because he is an awful comedian.

JessMe
12-12-2013, 08:01 PM
Overall, I would say that the representation of gender variant people in the media is negative to one degree or another. ...it's almost always the punchline to a bad joke (the "OMG, SHE was a HE!" thing.) And in the rare instance of the story that's NOT a complete joke, it's almost always a gg or genetic male playing the tg/cd/ts/gq role... we have a lonnng way to go.

PaulaQ
12-12-2013, 08:08 PM
it's almost always a gg or genetic male playing the tg/cd/ts/gq role... we have a lonnng way to go.

For people who don't understand why that's a big problem, just think of this question: "Why don't they use white actors in blackface to play African Americans?"

robindee36
12-12-2013, 08:19 PM
This gratuitous portrayal of a mad rapist - murderer - cannibal whatever is no more a reflection on us than Anthony Perkins dressing up in psycho. Personally, I read nothing into this movie scene.

On the other hand, I thing the hair is a bit wild, the makeup needs some attention and the chest development......well its interesting ;)

Some things in media are intentionally directed toward us. Some are innocent allusions that deserve no more attention and thought than the superficial role they play in a much larger endeavor, like a movie.

No harm - no foul.

Hugs, Robin

Desirae
12-12-2013, 08:51 PM
I don't think its really all that big of a deal. There are close minded people and open minded people. There have been all kinds of "negative" representations of us from the killer in Silence of Lambs, to the killer in Psycho, to the over-the-top gender-benders on Jerry Springer. For a lot of people, the only transgenders that a lot of people have ever seen are the ones on Jerry Springer and in the movies like Silence of the Lambs. I do NOT think that people seeing transgenders in positive ways is going to change the way that "close minded" people think of us. They see us a freaks and they always will. Part of it is probably from their upbringing, some could be due to their religious beliefs, some could be because they don't want to "lose face" with their friends and peers. You're never going to change these people. Just pick for friends the ones who have open minds and who are allies. Why concern yourself with the other ones?

JessMe
12-12-2013, 09:20 PM
Hear me out: I LOVE music of all kinds... including some that would embarrass almost anyone else in my age group (I'm 30, for the record.) ...any of you ever hear of Charley Pride? ...He made country music at a time when that just wasn't something "colored" people did. Catch was that almost nobody knew that he wasn't white... until he walked on stage after a couple successful songs. There was awkward silence, followed by "Hello, I'm Charley Pride", and a standing ovation from a crowd that had just been godsmacked. ...the point of the story is... there is a certain opinion, a lack of education, and a general distrust of anyone different by the more "mainstream" society... until that point, most of them had never seen a real live black guy that could sing beautiful country music. ...until there is a representative from our community that refuses to be typecast or made a mockery, there won't be many who have to take a deep breath and really think about us on a human level.

Marcelle
12-12-2013, 09:47 PM
Hey JessMe,

I was raised on country music and "Charlie Pride" we had an 8 Track ... yup an 8 track (so how old does that make me). :)

Hugs

Isha

Jenniferathome
12-12-2013, 09:49 PM
Unfortunately, I think this is close to what Joe average might actually think (maybe without the murdering). So in that way, perpetuating any stereotype is not good for any cross dresser.

When was the last time anyone saw a cross dresser portrayed in a remotely positive way? Tootsie and Mrs Doubtfire were not cross dressers. They dressed for a job, not as a part of themselves. I've never seen it.

Valarie
12-12-2013, 10:25 PM
When was the last time anyone saw a cross dresser portrayed in a remotely positive way? Tootsie and Mrs Doubtfire were not cross dressers. They dressed for a job, not as a part of themselves. I've never seen it.

A friend and I have been working on that. We have a novel that we have been writing for a few years, one of the characters is a badass TG space pirate ;) that has a very real love story with a F to M character that is tasteful, and not a joke or derogatory in anyway.

Bethany_Anne_Fae
12-12-2013, 10:27 PM
Yes and no, that scenario is an extreme case to be sure. What I DO know is, is that when I go to the club I can't dance to the song that is playing in that scene because it disturbed me so.

Bethany

Wildside_md
12-12-2013, 10:35 PM
Yea it is a classic movie but I think most people see it for the plot mechanism it is and not representative of our community. Those who do would have something else to demonize us with.

Tracii G
12-12-2013, 10:43 PM
The only part of SOL's was the disturbing scene where H L peels that other mans face off himself.The serial killer tranny didn't.
Rocky Horror I find quite repulsive for some reason and I have never been to see the movie.Just caught clips on YT.

NancyJ
12-12-2013, 11:18 PM
That is the only movie I've ever walked out of. Was watching it with my wife and felt a rush of shame as though crossdressing was somehow correlated with such brutality and sickness. I knew that it wasn't, but it still touched off my shame about Nancy, which 20or so years ago when that movie came out I was much more filled with about my dressing. I was at the movie with my wife and underdressed with panties, garter belt, and stockings (she knew), and I felt sick to my stomach and asked if we could leave. So, I don't know about society's view, but it triggered shame in me. Still haven't watched that entire movie. Nancy

Jocelyn Quivers
12-13-2013, 12:03 AM
Back in the day when that movie first came out I got lot's of mileage out of that character in justifying the desire to cure myself and be normal all male with no gender issues. "Don't wear women's clothing you don't want to be like Buffalo Bill do you?" "Be strong, be a man!" Now I have no real opinion on the character, other than if it comes up as representation of TG people during normal conversation, I will explain why he does not, while walking that fine line without losing my cool and outing myself for now.

Eryn
12-13-2013, 12:15 AM

Rent The World's Fastest Indian and watch for Tina.

AllieSF
12-13-2013, 04:17 AM
Unfortunately, I think this is close to what Joe average might actually think (maybe without the murdering). So in that way, perpetuating any stereotype is not good for any cross dresser.

Let's see. There was that funny and serious at times TV attorney show, Boston Common, or something like that with William Shatner, and they had a crossdressing attorney, Glee has a black MtF transsexual, And there have been several cameo roles of crossdressers in other TV programs and movies. It is not as rare as you may think. It is also not a real common occurrence either. However, in the last 7 years since I started all this, there has been a large increase from what was on before that time. It is growing in mainstream media. I read an article about how different news agencies were trying to train or set guidelines for their staff on how to refer to all of us, primarily transsexuals. We really have come a long way and have much further to go. The only way to educate people is to get out in the real world and be ourselves as we interact with others, for "us" to get more mainstream media attention in sitcoms, serious programs and movies.

Sometimes we will be portrayed accurately and other times not. However, with more exposure people will start to realize that we are just another variant of themselves. maybe weird to them, but not that much different from all the other variant people out in the real world. From all the unfortunate harassment situations, beatings and killings that happen to us transgenders, the general public are starting to see the horror and injustice of how we are treated. We need as much exposure as we can get because of the long haul that is what will help other get to know us and hopefully tolerate and accept us.

kimdl93
12-13-2013, 07:58 AM
The scene didn't create out image to society, it reflected one 1990s version. Sure some people may have based their view of us based on that film, but I suspect that most people realized it was a fictional character.

Batman movies haven't changed my opinion of billionaires very much either.

Tina_gm
12-13-2013, 12:19 PM
The way in which we are potrayed by the media and the entertainment industry in general does us harm. It is a big reason why so many people have the attitude about CDing that they do. They do not see any positive image or story about CDing to compare to, thus, the general population develops a negative attitude about CDing. It is why so many of us are in the closet. It is why so many of us either have wives or GF'swho struggle with it, or have not told them at all.

100 years ago, (random number) it was believed that black people were not capable of being as smart as white people. come to find out they are as capable if given the same opportunities for education. The same holds true for CDers in society as being considered to be sane decent people capable of good relationships. That we are not all gay or would be gay, that we are not all oversexed or that we have distorted views etc etc.

CONSUELO
12-13-2013, 12:41 PM
Well the film was a fictional story in which there was no holding back on exagerated depictions of outrageous psychopathic behaviour. Think of all of the films in which police are depicted as violent and evil characters, though there are other films in which the cop is a good person. The point being that all sorts of people and people's sexual and lifestyle choices are used by Hollywood and novelists just to make a story entertaining and gripping. Not much that we croos dressers can do except make sure that our own behaviour is not offensive.

I thought that the film was well made and the acting was very good but I still came away feeling "slimed" and "used" in the sense that all the writer and director did was play to my basest instincts.

Dawna Ellen Bays
12-14-2013, 06:56 AM
When was the last time anyone saw a cross dresser portrayed in a remotely positive way?

The youngest son on "The Riches" (Eddie Izzard/Minnie Driver show from a few years back) was a fledgling crossdresser, and was portrayed in quite a positive light. The last episode of the seconds season (before FX axed a third season) saw the son being "caught" by a female classmate, who proceeded to help him dress. Of course, Izzard (who co-produced the show), was probably drawing from events in his own life, but I still thought it was pretty positive...

xdressed
12-14-2013, 11:05 AM
I'm quite a big fan of Silence of the Lambs and the Hannibal series in general, and while I don't find this scene offensive exactly I do strongly dislike the concept of the character. Buffalo Bill, Norman Bates and Leatherface from the Texas Chainsaw Massacre are all 'crossdressing killers' (or in Buffalo Bills case, outright Transsexual) who were based on real life serial killer Ed Gein. Gein suffered from extreme psychosis and delusions, I believe there's a quote of his in American Psycho. "I see a pretty lady and two things go through my mind, part of me wants to take her to dinner and treat her real nice, the other part wonders what her head would like on a spoke". When his mother died his delusions became dramatically worse and he started killing and grave robbing in order to make a woman suit to become her. Norman Bates is the only killer of the three who suffers from the same kind of delusion and isn't presented as trans in someway, but in the other two are a mishmash of Ed Gein and the film makers misconceptions about Trans people. It kick started a long line of transgender or crossdressing killers in movie's such as Dressed to Kill and Insidious 2 and certainly reinforces the idea that we are all insane whether we are killers or not

Wildaboutheels
12-14-2013, 11:35 AM
No, not at all. IT'S A MOVIE. I am sure many folks who saw it may be forever turned off to CDers. The same people quite likely think if something, ANYthing is posted on the Internet, it has to be true. The same people are just as likely to think the US blew up the WTC and we also faked all the moon landings. Unfortunately many of these same folks will be Closed Minded and incapable of listening to reason or researching and digging out the facts on anything they can't or don't understand. The world is full of such clueless folks and I think it's best not to worry about what THEY think.

It's no different than some who participate here at this Forum and have very RIGID ideas and no amount if information readily available here in the form of pictures, threads and #s [displayed in various locations] is going to get them to change their minds about something.

Katey888
12-14-2013, 01:17 PM
Do I think it gives us a bad rep: surely - it's deliberately designed to play on the fears of what the vast majority of folk don't come in contact with and don't understand. Crikey! A lot of us don't really get what's going on with ourselves, no wonder joe public can't...
Does it offend me? No more than the stereotyping and persecution of any misunderstood minority for time immemorial... My feeling at the moment is that our community is so fragmented (perhaps with good reason) that we will wait a long time for any one individual to present as a positive role model and be accepted. Not to say I wouldn't applaud it - just think it's near impossible.
Interesting perspectives though... and weren't 8 tracks wonderful for cars? No need to ever juggle with the cartridge while driving - just endless music.. :heehee:
Kx

samanthasolo
12-14-2013, 01:32 PM
Hehe! That scene is one of my wife's favorites of all time and we both put the lotion on the skin! Can't really say anything else about it.

GroovyChristy
12-14-2013, 01:40 PM
I don't know...it's just a movie/book. When I read the book that didn't even cross my mind. I just thought, wow this is super creepy. Any intelligent non-CD should know that we are not like that at all.

Jocelyn Quivers
12-14-2013, 01:46 PM
Looking back at the scene again, I found Buffalo Bob of Joe Dirt to be a light hearted take on the character. Also I did not view any shame, embarrassment, nor was offended by the Buffalo Bob portrayal. I guess I've grown to appreciate a little bit of stereotypical humor, the same way I can enjoy a movie like Don't Be a Menace To South Central While Sipping On Your Juice, Friday etc., without being offended at the portrayal of young black males in those flicks. "Woo Hoo! "Auto Trader Mag!"-Joe Dirt

AngelaKelly<3
12-14-2013, 02:18 PM
I agree that it's a very very creepy depiction of a crossdresser, and also a very well known one; so it would probably colour the opinions of a few people to what we actually are.

I'm not offended by it though. "The Creepy Crossdresser" is definitely a thing in the CD world :heehee:

grace7777
12-27-2013, 06:07 PM
I think that some of the portrayals in the media do give us a bad reputation, but that is something that I do not have control over.

When I am dressed en femme what I try to do is to act in a manner that will give other people a positive image of us. If all of us individually make an effort to present a positive image we can change what people think of us.

Brooklyn
12-28-2013, 01:26 AM
When was the last time anyone saw a cross dresser portrayed in a remotely positive way?

Ha, the closest I could get was "Ruby Rhod" from The Fifth Element...

If one spends anytime among the trans community outside of this forum, you know how sleazy things can get. Many people assume we do this for hookup sex. Some of us do, I know, but that doesn't describe me or most T people I know. Certain sisters give us a much darker image than a couple of thriller movies ever did.

Aprilrain
12-28-2013, 07:06 AM
Since the vast majority of CDers are closeted and enjoy full and normal lives as men then id say no this does not hurt the majority of CDers. For those who are out, the best thing you can do for the CDer cause is check with your wife or other honest GG that what your wearing is acceptable!

Sue Too
12-28-2013, 10:27 AM
I echo Grace's sentiments When I am out and about I try to project a positive image of who I am.

Susan in Phoenix

NicoleScott
12-28-2013, 10:41 AM
Of all the murderers in movies and on television, the vast majority are non-crossdressers. So what if there are a few are crossdressers who carry out their evil intentions. Isn't that a reflection of real life? You don't think that there are no crossdressers who are also murderers, do you?

Lorileah
12-28-2013, 01:59 PM
Of all the murderers in movies and on television, the vast majority are non-crossdressers. faulty logic...compare the number of crossdressers who are heroes, someone you look up to, inspirations, even everyday life...vs the ones in movies who are criminals, clowns, or mentally troubled. Now look at non-crossers with the same criteria above. The majority of TGs in movies are there as someone to make fun of or fear. There are only a handful of movies where the TG is someone you really get to know or even have empathy toward.

The argument here is not so dissimilar to what was (still is in some cases) portrayed with people of color 50-60 years ago. Even in the 70's, some actors played the caricature in their minds to bring to struggle to a forefront, but it reinforced these stereotypes in the minds on many people. The cavalier "it isn't a big deal...so what" attitude insinuates that you approve of having levels of being human

Adriana Moretti
12-28-2013, 02:06 PM
good to see all these comments here...I have to agree about the positive role models....am I offended by the character...not at all its a movie......however..this is an image that people instantly connect with dressing...which is not cool... its the image....

NicoleScott
12-28-2013, 07:11 PM
Logic has nothing to do with it.
It's a movie, a story. Fact is, all kinds of people in real life do bad things. Do you want Hollywood to sanitize everything, so nobody gets offended?
If the killer had been a mechanic, would mechanics have a right to be offended?

Ressie
12-28-2013, 09:19 PM
Loved the movie "Silence of the Lambs". In some ways I see that I have similarities to BB. I like to put makeup on while looking in the mirror, but without the dancing. I live alone, but don't go out looking for large girls to kidnap.

Claris first refers to him as a transexual but later keeps calling him a transvestite. Does she not know the difference? Or did she surmise that he was not a TS, but in fact a TV?

Another point is, this wasn't a TG themed movie like Tootsie, Doubtfire, Transamerica, etc., but a movie about a deranged serial killer. (Two, counting Hannibal.) The first time seeing this movie I didn't know anything about the killer's secret life beforehand. So I think many people that saw this movie wouldn't watch gay or TG themed movies like brokeback mountain or Rocky horror. As a result, some people don't have many other ideas of what TG is. Yes, there are many that are ignorant of what's under the TG umbrella simply because they aren't interested. I'm not offended, but it bothers me.

NathalieX66
12-28-2013, 09:28 PM
I have the song Lotion by the Greenskeepers on my Iphone from the movie. That song always reminds me of the famous scene in Silence of the Lambs.

I think it is a terrible comparison for those of us who are crossdressers, transgender, or transsexual. It does NOT define us.

....same with Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Kagji
12-29-2013, 02:15 AM
It puts the lotion on it's skin...

No, I don't, and no it doesn't.

Kagji
12-29-2013, 02:17 AM
You don't have to be a transsexual to crossdress. I'm not a transsexual, I just enjoy looking like a girl. I'm a man, through and through.

Amanda_P
12-29-2013, 03:04 AM
No really but what does bother me is when I read a news story and they say one of the guys was dressed as a woman. Now I think that is just bad press.

Teresa
12-29-2013, 06:07 AM
Some very prominent people have been known to cd but I don't recall them being serial killers, I haven't had the urge today well not yet!

xdressed
12-29-2013, 08:18 AM
Loved the movie "Silence of the Lambs". In some ways I see that I have similarities to BB. I like to put makeup on while looking in the mirror, but without the dancing. I live alone, but don't go out looking for large girls to kidnap.

Claris first refers to him as a transexual but later keeps calling him a transvestite. Does she not know the difference? Or did she surmise that he was not a TS, but in fact a TV?

Another point is, this wasn't a TG themed movie like Tootsie, Doubtfire, Transamerica, etc., but a movie about a deranged serial killer. (Two, counting Hannibal.) The first time seeing this movie I didn't know anything about the killer's secret life beforehand. So I think many people that saw this movie wouldn't watch gay or TG themed movies like brokeback mountain or Rocky horror. As a result, some people don't have many other ideas of what TG is. Yes, there are many that are ignorant of what's under the TG umbrella simply because they aren't interested. I'm not offended, but it bothers me.

According to Wiki there's a deleted scene that clears this up a little bit

The film's screenplay omits Gumb's backstory, but does imply that he had a traumatic childhood. In the movie, Lecter summarizes Gumb's life thus: "Billy was not born a criminal, but made one by years of systematic abuse."
The film adaptation of Silence of the Lambs was criticized by some gay rights groups for its portrayal of the psychopathic Gumb as bisexual and transgender.[7] A Johns Hopkins sex-reassignment surgeon, present in the book but not the film (his scene was deleted and is found in bonus materials on the DVD), protests exactly the same thing; FBI Director Jack Crawford pacifies him by repeating that Gumb is not in fact transsexual, but merely believes himself to be. In the film, a similar scene is shown with Starling and Lecter in the same roles as the surgeon and Crawford, respectively. In the director's commentary for the 1991 film, director Jonathan Demme draws attention to various Polaroids taken of Buffalo Bill in the company of strippers; these are visible in Gumb's basement in the film.

Launa
12-29-2013, 09:42 AM
These types of movies can make people get creeped out by seeing a Transexual serial killer so it doesn't help people's views on the subject but at the same time most folks know that it is a fictional movie and anybody that knows a CD knows that we are for the most part kind, caring, good citizens. I think LOL

What really kills things for the CD image are the real life freaks such as Col Russell Williams. Good thing was he might not have been a CD and was wearing those clothes like it was a trophy for him. I hated that bad press a few years back.

Tina B.
12-29-2013, 10:05 AM
As bad as silence of the lambs is to cross dresser, the movie that bothered me was "Psycho" I mean that last scene when he jumps out in that frightful black dress and that ugly Grey wig in a bun, that was horrible, oh yeah, he was also a serial killer, and a peeping tom. Now I don't know how peeping toms, and serial killers feel about it, but the way she was dressed was an embarrassment to crossdressers everywhere.

Marcelle
12-29-2013, 10:11 AM
What really kills things for the CD image are the real life freaks such as Col Russell Williams ... I hated that bad press a few years back.

I hear you Launa, Russell Williams (BTW he was stripped of his rank and military privilege by Queen Elizabeth the day he was sentenced), is a bad mark for TG within the military. Few differentiate between a serial sexual sadist displaying lingerie as a trophy and CDers.

As a military member and CD, I have been to Trenton and have gone out dressed but stay to outlying areas less I bring up some bad memories. Shouldn't have to but caution is the better way.

Hugs

Isha

Jaylyn
12-29-2013, 10:58 AM
I personally hate the movies that portray anything I do to be evil. Usually the movies and I know they are mostly fiction will do anything to shock a person with something that has a twist to it. I and my wife have just about quit going to the movies as it seems all of them are getting more and more violent. What erks me is even the kids movies today has some form of violence. Being from an educational background I have seen kids emulate movie characters. Add a crazy childhood by a few sick parents that could care less what their kids do or even if they are home at night, then you see why we are having some crazy shootings in our schools or real serial killers shooting folks thru a hole in the trunks of their cars. The news and our silly talk show correspondents only look for any thing that is not natural to them to take off on presenting their stories. Cross dressers, gun owners, and terrorist when they make the news are portrayed as bad guys. This has to have an sub-conscious effect on anyone's brain. The skin color does not make a person a terrorist, guns do not make a person a killer, a tube of lipstick does not make a person a Crossdresser. Why does the news, the books, movies and even tv cartoons use certain things such as this to criminalize the whole of each represented? Oddities sell newspapers, oddities sell yahoo ads each morning, any oddity in life will make some reporter money but leave in the readers mind that the oddity is evil or good depending on how it is portrayed in the context. We need the good guys portrayed to be cross dressers to change folks views of us. Lol

heatherM
12-29-2013, 02:45 PM
Jerry Springer, and countless others have done more damage than that media loves to bash, dirty laundry sells.
I think we will always be a topic of controversy of some magnitude, just as are Phil Roberson, and so many others, I just plain don't care any more, I am no stranger to controversy and am prepared to cope with it.