PDA

View Full Version : transportation lost

joank
12-12-2013, 01:03 PM
Due to financal issues my SO and I have taken the 2nd car out of use. I used to go out with regularity but now--no wheels. No pedi, no shopping, no make-up at Sally's. My dressing is confined to home and after being out and about, I can't wait to get back on the road again. Anyone have similar circumstances?

jaye_cd
12-12-2013, 01:52 PM
My wife and I only have one car between us. I just let her know when I plan on going out in the evenings and work around her schedule, and she mostly does what she can to make sure I can have the time I want. She'll corral the kids upstairs while I get ready and make my exit, and when she hears the garage door opening when I get home if they're still awake.

Beverley Sims
12-12-2013, 02:00 PM
Happens occasionally when cars break down.
Becomes very inconvenient.

DonnaT
12-12-2013, 02:13 PM
I'm not sure how taking a 2nd car out of use will ease any financial issues. Unless it is constantly in the shop for repairs.

One must maintain insurance to keep their registration valid.

The car needs to run to keep serviceable.

Use of the other car will increase its wear and tear, reducing its lifespan. Mileage will increase. Tires and oil will need to be changed more frequently, etc.

If the other car breaks down, the 2nd car should be ready to fill in, meaning it needs proper maintenance and must be registered and insured.

AllieSF
12-12-2013, 03:05 PM
Donna, You are correct that some costs will go on, registration, insurance, etc. However, as indicated in her OP taking a car out of action for a while, which I understand is the plan, she will not put additional wear and tear on the vehicle, will not spend money on fuel, and will, again as indicated in her post, not go out as often as before, thus saving other funds that would have been spent while out. I have a neighbor who spends 6 months in Florida and six months here in California. They have cars at both ends. When at the other residence they disconnect batteries until they return. They have no significant additional maintenance costs. Yes, they may end up using the other car more, but from what she writes, she will not just take all the previous usage of the second car and add it to the first car. So, I agree that is one way to cut costs quickly and hopefully temporarily.