PDA

View Full Version : DUI Checkpoint

Suzanne F
12-14-2013, 04:29 PM
Last night I went out dressed for my usual Friday night out in the city. It began with a 12 step meeting in the Castro where I am the secretary. After the meeting 6 of us went out for a nice dinner.

Then I met up with Allie and Rachael from this site at an Italian Restaurant where we had coffee and dessert. The girls knew the staff of course. Everyone was very sweet to us. I glided through the neighborhood where there was a more mainstream population. It seems so natural now to be out.

So here is where it gets good. I said goodbye to the ladies and headed back over the bridge toward home. As I exited at my town I saw a familiar weekend sight, a DUI check point. They had floodlights and there were several local police. I pulled up and smiled at the the male officer. He said hello and asked for my license. I don't think he had realized yet as he said mam. As I handed him my license I said you may have a good laugh. He shot me a glance and looked at my license. He turned to the female officer and said, " This is Blank saying my male name." She smiled at me. He asked if I had been drinking and I said not in almost 12 years. The lady officer asked if I had been having a good time. I said yes a very good time but my wife is patiently waiting for me to get home. They told me to be safe and said goodbye.

I loved the experience. I was confident and happy. We do not have to hide! It was a great way to end the evening!

Hugs
Suzanne

sabrinaedwards
12-14-2013, 04:35 PM
Hi Suzanne, that maybe true in CA, but I might not have such a pleasant experience here in South Carolina. I am going out dressed tonight and I pray that I do not have any contact with law enforcement.

Michelle789
12-14-2013, 04:56 PM
Suzanne, I'm really happy to hear about your experience. God, I love California!!!

Now be careful when you go to Bakersfield!!!

Sabrina - yeah other states may not be so accepting. If you're worried, try avoiding known DUI checkpoints, or don't be out too late at night. Don't drink and drive, and obey all traffic laws.

You should never drink and drive period. DUI checkpoints are one thing I really am grateful that law enforcement does.

AllieSF
12-14-2013, 05:04 PM
Suzanne, it must have been that espresso you had after dessert. I am glad you had a good experience before, during and after, plus on the way home. I am also glad that you got home safely.

Terri Andrews
12-14-2013, 05:23 PM
Sabrina ,
I was traveling to Florida last year and was stopped ,in South Carolina,at a check point by the State Police and I was polite with them and they checked my info and told me to have a nice day and drive safe .I don`t know about the locals ,but the state police were very professional.

Eryn
12-14-2013, 05:32 PM
It is ominous that they call them "DUI checkpoints" and then they insist on "checking zee papers." They should call them "Drivers' License, Registration, and Insurance checkpoints"

Around here they actually publish statistics on who they catch. They usually catch zero drunks, but at least a couple of dozen folks with expired registrations. Follow the money...

Michelle789
12-14-2013, 05:37 PM
Eryn, I wonder how many illegal immigrants they catch.

Jenny Gurl
12-14-2013, 05:38 PM
The Android App "Trapster" shows several speed traps, road hazzards etc. They use to have an icon specifically for DUI checkpoints but they were pressured to remove it. It is a user populated app so it still might come in handy if you see someone has marked a spot.

Sally24
12-14-2013, 05:43 PM
I've been stopped by police in Maine, New Hampshire and Massachesetts for headlights out etc. All but one have been very professional and polite. I think that is the norm most places. If not, hope you have your dashcam turned on!

Michelle V
12-14-2013, 05:53 PM
Great story! Times are changing, we might not fully enjoy the benefits of society fully accepting us ,thanks to people like you taking chances out in the real world will allow for future generations of CDs to be themselves without prejudice.

Thanks

Valarie
12-14-2013, 05:55 PM
Oh I miss California, I live in a very conservative Hispanic area of Texas which is why I have been avoiding going out :(

AngelaKelly<3
12-14-2013, 06:00 PM
You'd think the coppers in an area so rich in LGBT culture wouldn't be fazed by such encounters! But whaddayeknow! :bg:

LaraPeterson
12-14-2013, 06:40 PM
Stopped numerous times; only asked out once--went, had a great time!!! Don't be alarmed; be yourself.

oliviall
12-15-2013, 01:20 AM
I was pulled over for speeding and got a verbal warning without incident. Was traveling with a GG who doesn't like interaction with police, this was the biggest challenge. To be fair, it just outside of SF, CA, so I doubt I was the least bit interesting to the police :)

paulaprimo
12-15-2013, 02:32 AM
glad you had fun with it. i have had only one experience with the police. i was scared to death and almost pooped my panties when they arrived,
but i must say that they were very polite and professional...kinda cute too :)

Beverley Sims
12-15-2013, 03:15 AM
Suzanne,
Handle it politely and a little levity does not hurt.
You did well.

Persephone
12-15-2013, 05:27 AM

The People's Republic of California issues driver's licenses to illegal immigrants and does not turn them over to the Fed unless they have committed a felony, and even then they don't always report them. If they have a license, registration, and insurance they would have no problem.

Hugs,
Persephone.

Vickie_CDTV
12-15-2013, 06:26 AM

Now that is an excellent question! Since those in power just pick and choose the laws they feel like enforcing and ignore the ones they don't like, I doubt it.

I have never been pulled over dressed, but boy did I have an unique experience with law enforcement! I was staying with a friend after going out dressed one night, it was early in the morning and I heard a ruckus in the living room. I got up to see what was going on and I was greeted with the local cops in the living room, questioning my friend. I ended up in my lavender nightie, looking like a guy in a lavender nightie with my hands out (they didn't aim their weapons at me at least.) As it turns out, someone robbed the gas station across the street at gunpoint and ran into the trailer park we were in. I will tell you, these small town cops didn't miss a beat, asked to see my ID to make sure I wasn't the guy they were looking for, said "Sorry for bothering you guys", and left. Never asked why I was dressed like I was, never asked my friend why she was dressed, never even reacted to us. Go figure.

Jenny Doolittle
12-15-2013, 09:00 AM
Speaking from the perspective of a "retired Police Officer" Law Enforcement is like any other profession, there will always be a few who don't represent their pears well. For the most part I think LEOs are professional and just trying to do their job protecting the public. It is a very difficult job and getting harder all the time, so try and see things from the other side of the car window.

So glad you had a good experience and thanks for sharing it.

Debglam
12-15-2013, 05:50 PM
Well done Suzanne! Missed you and Allie last night.

Debby

skirtsuit
12-15-2013, 06:23 PM
Great story, just be yourself!

The only time (that I can remember, anyway) that I've had a conversation with a police officer was a very nice chat with a port authority cop a few years ago. I had biked up to the top of the Ben Franklin bridge here in Philly wearing a nice dress and heels. I remember standing near the top when I hear from behind me - "those don't look like biking shoes!". I turned and had a very pleasant chat with a cop who was probably just checking me out to make sure I wasn't a potential jumper, but he didn't seem the least bit phased when I opened my mouth and removed any question about my maleness...

Best, SS

Jennifer Kelly
12-15-2013, 06:45 PM
It is ominous that they call them "DUI checkpoints" and then they insist on "checking zee papers." They should call them "Drivers' License, Registration, and Insurance checkpoints"

Hmm. I've been lucky enough to only run into one of those in my life and it was back 1998 when I was in my mid-20's. The officer asked to see my license and asked me if I had been drinking, but didn't ask for registration or proof of insurance. Flash forward 15 years and the state of California is broke. I'm sure they're trying to make a little money at these things now as well.

sabrinaedwards
12-15-2013, 08:25 PM
That's certainly good to hear! I am always concerned about being stopped in a rural area here in SC.

giuseppina
12-15-2013, 08:49 PM
Around here the police are only interested in finding impaired drivers at RIDE checks. By not asking for papers, they can stop more drivers in a given period of time, as well as not irritating the innocent. In my experience, they don't ask to see the driver's paperwork unless they're under suspicion of being intoxicated. Fortunately, I've never been in that position. :Pray:

Tracii G
12-15-2013, 09:12 PM
Great job Suz glad you had a nice night.
The police around here are well versed in CD/TG people and are very professional when you come in contact with them.

linda allen
12-16-2013, 08:50 AM
For many years I drank and drove (playing music in bars and clubs). I never had an incident and was never stopped. Eventually, I realized that I was pretty lucky so I started having my wife drive home. Then I had a medical condition and was advised to quit drinking so I did.

I'm really surprised that it's legal to stop people to see if they have been drinking but not legal to stop them and check for weapons, drugs, etc. It seems the same to me.

LindaC
12-16-2013, 10:08 AM
I've only been stopped at a check point once. It was in Missouri on I40 near Springfield. Not a DUI check point, but a Drug Enforcement Checkpoint. They ran everyone thru a rest area and had dogs doing a sniff test.
So much for the 4th Admendment.

Tracii G
12-16-2013, 01:31 PM
When I was truck driving a few years ago on Thursday nights there was always a checkpoint somewhere on the Mt Parkway in Ky.
They called it a DOT/ DUI checkpoint to catch drunks or drug dealers and an occasional trucker over on his log book.
I was in one one night and saw a border patrol agent and said to the state cop that asked me for my log book "hey we're in Ky whats a border agent doing here?" He laughed and said he was lost.
I have to admit having a computer based log book on the dash is great the cops asks for your log and you say right here on the dash I can download the days activity if you want me too.9 times out of 10 they will say thats OK go ahead have a nice day.

Chickhe
12-16-2013, 02:09 PM
When I was a kid, it was normal to drink and drive home. It was wrong. Even one drink makes a difference, but back then the rule was 1 drink an hour per 100 lbs body weight and you were good to go. Besides, not really being a good rule of thumb, one always turned in to two and two to three...I was against drinking and driving yet one time I had too much and was upset about something so I went home too early, almost hit a lamp post turning a corner and decided right then it could have been a lot worse...since then I never drank much when going out and eventually, I've cut it to none and actually don't drink anymore and to tell the truth I don't miss it one bit.

For the cops... I'm sure you brighten their day by dressing up being friendly and looking good and not drinking. Nothing to fear as far as CDing goes.

Tracii G
12-16-2013, 02:11 PM
I won't drink and drive now at all.
Don't drink much at all now and really don't miss it.

kendra_gurl
12-16-2013, 02:56 PM
Suzanne sounds like great ending to a possible traumatic circumstance.

My only experience with Law enforcement I posted a cpl of years ago so I'll just paste it here.

Posted by me in another thread.

Just last fall I was dressed to the nines in a short black sequin dress and 5" heels. Makeup and hair done to perfection complete with long french finger nails. As I was leaving a small club about 1:00AM I had to walk next to a busy lighted street about a block to my Pickup truck. While I am out dressed I never ever drink anything other than just a plain coke. I got to my truck having some difficulty getting into it because of the short dress and heels but proceeded on my way home. A few seconds later I noticed a sheriff's car behind me. Well duh I was driving on my best behavior after noticing him as I continued along for almost a mile before his flashing lights came on. I pulled onto a side street and tried to calm myself down when this sheriffs deputy of at least 50 years old came to my window asking for my drivers license and insurance. As I handed them to him I ask what the problem was and he like thought for a second before saying he noticed me driving left of center a few times and ask if I had been drinking at the club he saw me pull out of. After seeing my male ID and me assuring him that I never drink while I'm out dressed this way he politely said well your in a very high profile truck and it must have just been the wind causing you to drift a little. I was having trouble finding a current insurance verification but had several older ones but he told me to never mind and to have a nice night Mr. K..... Well after thinging about the whole thing I told myself this was just a 50 somthing guy using his ability as a deputy to stop and check out a very sexy girl he noticed comming out of a club and that made my night.

TexasGal
12-17-2013, 04:27 PM
Glad he let you go!

NicoleScott
12-17-2013, 05:32 PM
There have been threads like "what are the advantages of being a CDer?" I never could think of anything. Now it occurs to me: I am a better driver en femme.

Leslie Langford
12-17-2013, 08:44 PM
I had a similar experience to yours last year, Suzanne, and one which I reported on at the time in the attached post. It was in connection with the R.I.D.E program commonly administered here in Ontario, and which Guiseppina makes reference to above:

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?173959-Caught-by-the-R.I.D.E.-Program...and-lived-to-tell-the-tale&highlight=

As stated - and as per your own experience - it ended up being a non-event, with none of my worst fears materializing.

I really find now that the more I go out en femme, the easier, more relaxing, and "normal" it feels. Encounters like this one only serve to reinforce the old maxim that we have nothing to fear but fear itself, as well as our own innate (and unwarranted) insecurities...

Niya W
12-17-2013, 08:49 PM
The People's Republic of California issues driver's licenses to illegal immigrants and does not turn them over to the Fed unless they have committed a felony, and even then they don't always report them. If they have a license, registration, and insurance they would have no problem.

Hugs,
Persephone.
Aehm but the license clearly say that they are illegal. I know you get stopped in San Jose they will turn you over as there gang task force has 2 ICE agents on it.

PatMatoole
12-17-2013, 09:04 PM
Oh I miss California, I live in a very conservative Hispanic area of Texas which is why I have been avoiding going out :(

Hello Valarie, Edinburg girl here. Have you tried PBD's Lounge???