PDA

View Full Version : Overcome by holiday pink fog

Sara Ann
12-15-2013, 09:30 PM
This weekend I went out and did holiday shopping both drab and enfemme. I think I went a little nuts. Even while in drab, I was picking up stuff that I've seen worn by GGs twenty years my junior, and thought "Oh, that is so cute! I must have."

A lot of the SAs or store managers that I've encountered have been friendly and very chatty and I, of course, don't want to come across as a gruff, rude a-hole in drab (especially when getting a holiday discount or turning in a coupon). So, I happily tell them that it's all for my wife or daughter and cheerfully ask if I can return the stuff if it doesn't fit. So, no discouragement there!

I can't believe what I've spent so far during this holiday silliness. Probably half as much on myself as I've already spent on my SO for Christmas. Boots, clothing, accessories, make-up, etc.

On one hand, I feel just a little guilty. But on the other hand, I don't feel guilty at all because I think that, in some way, my other persona deserves it. She's been largely dormant over the last few years as I had let myself get out of shape and gain a bunch of weight. The dressing has returned as I've lost most of the weight and I've become more comfortable with my own body again.

And, it's not just about the clothes for me. One of my kids' favorite movies from years ago was Master of Disguise with Dana Carvey. I'm really a bad actor and I may not have the voice down yet, but -- admittedly -- I get a bit of odd thrill simply being someone completely different than who I am on a day-to-day basis.

Anyways, I've never been a frequent poster since I joined this board several years ago. After all this time, I just had to vent about this and I can't do it to my SO until after Christmas.:battingeyelashes:

AllieSF
12-15-2013, 09:35 PM
Enjoy your moments shopping, keep the receipts and don't cut all the tags off. Wait until after the holidays, try the clothes on again at home with the tags still on, and then decide what you want to keep or return. Most stores extend their return period policy realizing that people only make a decision to keep or return a holiday gift after the holidays. Good luck and happy shopping.

Jenniferathome
12-15-2013, 10:12 PM
And how would you feel if your wife went overboard, on herself, without telling you? Don't let the fog control you.

CarlaWestin
12-15-2013, 10:33 PM
I read your story and all I can think is.................you live in Alaska? How cool is that?

Beverley Sims
12-15-2013, 10:36 PM
All the best for Christmas, but remember your wife is part of a partnership.
Only buy useful stuff, not "dream ware", that's for the 20 year olds. :)

Sara Ann
12-15-2013, 10:54 PM
My SO and I have an understanding about expenditures and our own disclosures of personal spending. Household expenses like mortgage, heating fuel, car payment, food, kids' orthodontics, and other necessities always take priority and are divvied up between us. We basically have separate bank accounts and, so, anything left over is largely left at personal discretion. Unless it's something unusual over a few hundred dollars or so, we've already established that we really don't need to say anything to each other. But we usually do, anyway.:)

RADER
12-16-2013, 12:42 AM
Remember, it is the Holidays, and the SA are on SELL, Sell, Sell it all mode.
I bet if you asked, they would sell you the building and ring it up on your charge card.
Rader

Gardener
12-16-2013, 01:05 AM
I think "fog" is a good word to use. No matter how careful, practical, rational etc we tend to be, sometimes we get caught up in a confused state where desires are strong and we act on impulse. Wouldn't life be boring without fog every now and then?

Secret Drawer
12-16-2013, 05:10 AM
When I holiday shop for my wife I pretty much can't help picking something for myself either. The hard part is when I am sorting out what to wrap, my wife and I wear the same sizes, and I have to make that hard choice between what I want to give her and what I want to keep! Luckily we don't have exactly the same style, as I like a bit more color and she is more subtle.
I think the pink fog is helped along this time of year by the simple fact that nobody will even begin to question "is this for you?" as the shopping frenzy is in full swing. Setting a personal budget is almost a must, as this frenzy hits pretty hard in these days!

Raychel
12-16-2013, 06:47 AM
Pink fog is definitely a hard thing to overcome in the holiday season,
You are out shopping anyways and it is just too easy to pickup a few things for your self

Other years It has been a HUGE problem for me. But this year I kicked it. I went shopping for my wife
got her, what I think are some nice things, And, although I did see some thing I would like, I did not get anything for me.

So I totally understand the pink fog issues around the holidays, Try to keep it in budget though.

Jaymees22
12-16-2013, 01:12 PM
I can certainly sympathies with you. I find myself doing the same thing and then realize I won't have enough money to get anyone else any gifts. It's very hard to control and this time of year it's more like a "Pink Blizzard", do they have that at Dairy Queen yet?? Hugs Jaymee

Stephanie Julianna
12-16-2013, 07:40 PM
I'm with you girls. This time of the year is very hard for me as I love holiday dresses. This is the season fo satin and taffeta. I'm trying to hold back as well but have succombed to some invridible deals at Nordstrom Outlet in Farmington, CT. I got Vera Wang 5 inch heels 50% off and a electric blue taffeta form fitting knee length dress for only $79. I have to find a holiday party to wear these now.