PDA

View Full Version : I actually went in today!!!

GretchenJ
12-16-2013, 10:59 PM
With the help of many of you whom I consider my friends, and although I was scared to death, I got out of my car today and made the long walk thru the parking lot into the largest mall in PA, where I am away on business.

To make life a little easier for me, I bought a pair of the lightest powered female reading glasses I could find - for three reasons, one to help to hide my identity, two because I need them and three it helped dull my distance vision on purpose, so I could just enjoy window shopping.

Spent 30 mins in the mall, wore a new sweater, my new forms, jeans and black ankle boots. Was going to wear my black leggings, but I thought that were a bit too tight, have to get a larger size, or a gaff to help hide what I needed to hide.

Everyone was right, there was no lightning strike, no pitchforks. More surprising, no double takes, no snickering, and everyone just walked past me like I was nobody in particular.

I am here two more days, so I may venture out again one more time... Boy, I really really want to post a pic to get an honest opinion and some advice, but I am not that brave - I would have no issue to posting privately to some of the sage veterans of the group, but am afraid of the lurkers :)

Will be back in this area next month of so for a whole week. Am looking for some relatively safe activities I can do when I am out here. I did some research, and there is a tg friendly club nearby with an event each Thursday, but frankly I am not the club, dancing sort of girl, more the dinner, coffee, movie, museum person. Plus stupid work will get in the way, so it will be after 7pm activities.

Anyway, I want to thank personally each and every one of you that gave me the intestinal fortitude to make the next small step. I seriously could not have done it without all of you...

Gretch

AndreaSC
12-16-2013, 11:10 PM
Congrats, Gretch! The first time out can be very scary, but also very rewarding!!! :)

Jamie Christopher
12-16-2013, 11:10 PM
Gretchen:

I bought nice female frames with the standard glass....clear glass, and have had a fun time with them. You can do that at any WalMart, etc., and if they want to know, you're "doing a part in a play". You can just buy them and walk out with them.

Best,

Jamie

Jenniferathome
12-16-2013, 11:20 PM
Gretchen, there are a lot of Pa members here. Reach out and make a coffee date. I'm sure you'll find a friend to meet.

CindySTJ
12-16-2013, 11:32 PM
Great job and it is so much fun to go to a mall where there are so many different kinds of stores. You are right people just walk on by with maybe a second look but it does not hurt. Go back tomorrow but with the leggings and have fun and don't forget to buy yourself something new as a reward for your courage, that is the best part!

Madeline80
12-17-2013, 12:20 AM
Gretchen, that was a great first outing and I know exactly how you feel...thanks for telling your story.

Adriana Moretti
12-17-2013, 12:28 AM
congrats on your outing ...maybe there are some other girls from pa on here you can hang out with next time you come to town

Shellycd12
12-17-2013, 12:42 AM
Congrats. Must of felt rewarding and exciting.

Shelly

Jamie Christopher
12-17-2013, 12:42 AM
Oh yes, and Gretchen: great effort; intoxicating isn't it? It gets easier with time and attitude.

Jamie

Eryn
12-17-2013, 12:59 AM
Gretchen, you did everything right and obviously had a great time! The next time will be even better!

Be careful, though. Spending more time in malls can be tough on the pocketbook! :)

Rachelakld
12-17-2013, 02:18 AM
Well done Gretch, I also like coffee or wine and movie nights (I'm not a clubber).
Here is a funny thought, my first dinner out at a posh restaurant, I had water filled balloons in my D cups, how is that for primitive?

Amanda_P
12-17-2013, 02:47 AM
First time out is always scary but then can't wait until the second time.

mykell
12-17-2013, 07:11 AM
first congratulations, way to get the blood pumping i bet.
second, post the pic in the member only sections...

kimdl93
12-17-2013, 07:29 AM
Don't worry about our opinions. If your forays to the mall are going well, and you're relatively unnoticed, that is a positive and objective assessment of your appearance. Glad you ventured out!

CarlaWestin
12-17-2013, 07:38 AM
Well OK, Gretchen. Now you've gone and done it. That cat is out of the bag. You've opened the door to a whole new world of CD adventure. Next stop Walmart. Couldn't you just have a normal hobby like bird watching, or something? (dressed like a tart, of course!)

Beverley Sims
12-17-2013, 07:56 AM
Gretchen,
I can see this is the first of many, do enjoy life.

emilamb
12-17-2013, 08:15 AM
That sounds so exciting! :D I'm planning to go to a mall on my first time out too. :)

linda allen
12-17-2013, 08:23 AM
That's a great story and I would hope, only the beginning.

The mall is one of the plqaces I go when I go out. The others are the park and the tourist section of a nearby city. I also bought the female looking reading glasses.

Most women will wear a long blouse or sweater with tights, something long enough to cover the crotch area. I suggest you do the same.

As for posting photos, you can hide or blur your face if you need to.

Dannigirl
12-17-2013, 08:30 AM
Awesome for you. Get yourself a tunic or sweater dress, hides all the areas that require hiding and will boost your confidence even more as you won't have to worry about anything showing that shouldn't be. great goin.

LadyInRed
12-17-2013, 10:12 AM
That sounds like you had a great trip, my only problem with the mall is that it tends to hit me in the wallet, so many sexy and pretty things to own...

Shar
12-17-2013, 01:25 PM
Congrats. Seems you had a great time.Keep at it.

reb.femme
12-17-2013, 01:58 PM
Careful Gretchen,

You're on the slippery slope to
H
E
L
L

What else to do? Enjoy the ride! :devil:

Rebecca

Lexi Moralas
12-17-2013, 01:59 PM
Congrats ! That's a big step ! I always loved malls; back when I was able to get out and about while dressed.
I always tried to avoid the busier time but I found the busier the mall the less people notice anything other than them selves.
Sounds like oh had a great time!

S. Lisa Smith
12-17-2013, 02:56 PM
Well done!!

NicoleScott
12-17-2013, 03:05 PM
I felt the tug to go out, and I did ease OUT into the public. Eventually, I felt the tug to go IN. That took even more nerve, strength, guts, bravey, etc. but I finally did that, too.

Laura Collette
12-17-2013, 04:23 PM
Bravo Gretchen! I would love to do likewise, but going out of the house en femme is going to require significant concessions on the part of my wife, so for the time being I can just celebrate your adventure and others like it. Congratulations and full speed ahead.

Stephanie Julianna
12-17-2013, 06:53 PM
Gretch. If that is your true image you have nothing to worry about. There is nothing like passing in public and for those of us that can it can be wonderful. It also can be a cross because you sometimes cannot get enough of it. I've been mixing in straight public for years and to be accepted by other women as one of them is an addictive experience. Ypu just want to do it more. I think our girlfriends here call it the "Pink Fog."

GretchenJ
12-17-2013, 09:48 PM
Thanks to all for all your wonderful comments and thoughts.

My trip was cut short due to the bad weather, so I ventured out one more time tonight, just got back 10 minutes ago. Had a pair or control top hose, so wore a top that was a tad bigger and wore my black leggings (I had to, was dared to by Danni and Cindy lol).

Again was a thoroughly positive experience, no comments, no stares, people were just too busy going about their shopping to worry about a 6 foot 4 (6'2" plus 2 inch heels) woman to care.

Also brought with me a red dress I bought for myself for christmas, it was non-controversial, but out of place for the mall. I took a lot of pics, deciding if and how to post ( people have told me I can delete the pic after a week- if that's true, I may go for it- I really want your HONEST opinions)

When it gets closer for my one week trip, I will give a shout out- going to dinner of coffee would be beyond believable!!! In the meantime, I will have to work on my voice, it's not deep to begin with, but don't want to come off like a dock worker in a dress.

Thanks again for me ranting !!!!

P.S. Did I tell you that at the kiosk on the way out, the sales lady came up to me and said "this is for you, MISS." My first time !!!

Hugs all around !!
Gretchen

prettygirl4
12-17-2013, 11:01 PM
Gretchen,

Good for you! Keep going out and enjoying life!

Desirae
12-17-2013, 11:03 PM
That's really fantastic, Gretchen. It sounds like it was a great outing for you. Your story gives me a lot of confidence in moving toward that same achievement, which I will. Thanks for sharing.

Marcelle
12-18-2013, 06:38 AM
Hi Gretchen,

I am so happy to hear you had such a great experience. The first time is the hardest and it only gets easier from hear on in. It is amazing when you go out for the first time that there is such a lack of notice for the most part. CONGRATS!!

Hugs

Isha

Suzanne F
12-18-2013, 12:12 PM
Gretchen
Welcome to the club of public ladies! I am so excited for you! It will only get better as you continue to venture out. I commend you for your courage to fake that first step out of the closet!
Hugs
Suzanne

julia marie
12-18-2013, 12:44 PM
Congrats on getting out. Hope you enjoyed it. Good choice on the light reading glasses. I think they do break up some of the male facial features.

Taliya
12-18-2013, 10:00 PM
Congratulations Gretchen! Great to hear your experience. I missed an opportunity to join some of my sisters at the mall this past weekend, so I can live vicariously through your success! I can also relate to your reading glasses part, as I have done the same for EXACTLY the same reason in the past!

Diversity
12-18-2013, 10:10 PM
Congratulations, Gretchen! You are a star in my book as you are facing the challenges I too, am facing! It is a long walk (like the green mile) across the parking lot, but a helluva lot more satisfying! Keep going, Gretchen. I am right there with you!
Di

GretchenJ
12-20-2013, 11:01 AM
I have posted pictures on the appropriate site. Honest criticism it totally welcome and is very much appreciated !!
Gretchen

Cassie Cas
12-20-2013, 03:19 PM
Awesome! You're so much more brave than I am! Have you heard of triangles in Danbury ct?
Amazing, while I'm I'm writing there is a Sephora, VS, while being dressed with the family out shopping. Need to start getting the lipstick off. It stains :). Watching Say yes to the dress. So jealous....

gailgirl9
12-20-2013, 10:02 PM
Congratulations Gretchen! Going to the mall is such fun! It sounds like you pass easily. The more you go, the more confident you will be, and the better your feminine mannerism and presentation will be. A tip- at Macy's they don't have a person managing (guarding!) the dressing rooms. Go ahead! try on some dresses- You will LOVE it!