PDA

View Full Version : Driving, low risk?

Gail Marie
12-17-2013, 02:58 AM
Is driving while dressed a fairly safe way to get out, at least a bit?

I'm not ready to go take a walk anywhere, however I think I'd be brave enough to try a little drive. Has this worked for others as a step along the way?

Thanks, Gail

jaye_cd
12-17-2013, 03:09 AM
Unless you have a very recognizable car, it's pretty low key. Any little steps to give yourself the courage to get out more is worth it! At worst, you might get stuck next to some giggling teenagers at a red light.

AllieSF
12-17-2013, 03:34 AM
Yes, in my opinion it is a very safe way to get out of the house those first few times. Good luck and enjoy the view from the outside of your house.

Krystenw
12-17-2013, 03:49 AM
Just be careful where you put you keys when you get out. I laid mine on the consul between the seats to hang up a tag on the mirror then when I got out the person that pulled in next to me pulled in a little close so I had to kind of twist a bit to get out and close the door. After so doing, I discovered that I had closed my skirt in the door and to my horror my keys were still on the consul. Fortunate my wife was there, but she was laughing so hard, it took her a while to find her clicker in her purse.

Di
12-17-2013, 04:56 AM
For your drives going out take a guy bag with you to have in the trunk in case of car trouble ect. Just extra piece of mind. ( throw in some baby wipes or something to remove makeup) Enjoy!

Kate Simmons
12-17-2013, 06:22 AM
As long as you are careful. This is how I started at night those many, many long years ago.:battingeyelashes::)

Majella St Gerard
12-17-2013, 06:33 AM
It's a good way to start, if you drive a car, you will be seen by people in SUVs or trucks, but I like to show a lot of leg when I drive. Good luck, be confident and act normal.

Jessica giovanna
12-17-2013, 06:46 AM
I agree a great way to start and to get that smiling face out there ;) and I second on the driving a car not quite so noticeable...I learned that one the hard way...when I started really dressing, at the time I had my Porsche convo. And was trying to catch a summer breeze. A group of teens on sea island pulled up to the light with me at the causeway. I hear one screaming about my car and wanting to see it up close...thank goodness I could drive and put up the top...was quite a scare, lol.
Now, I do it with the top down.........hummmmmmm....that sounds.....fun.
Ms. G

StaceyJane
12-17-2013, 06:50 AM
Driving while dressed is a great start. My first trips out were first around my neighborhood then going farther and farther. Soon I was cruising down the interstate en femme and loving it.

JC
12-17-2013, 06:53 AM
pack an emergency kit of drab clothes for flat tire, etc. My truck has a tool box and the lid blew up on my first drive requiring me to get out and close it.

Dianne S
12-17-2013, 06:54 AM
Yes, it's low risk. But be careful driving a stickshift in high heels... the clutch is murder. :)

Candice Mae
12-17-2013, 07:01 AM
If you see a disgruntled mob with torches and pitch forks keep driving cause odds are there not after you. I know there are a few bad apples out there and that CD's and other TG people all run the risk off verbal abuse or worse. But, the chances are that you have a better chance of winning the lottery.

As others have said be prepared and drive save. As keep a pair of flats in the center console/glove box cause driving in heels is dangerous.

CarlaWestin
12-17-2013, 07:13 AM
I discovered that I had closed my skirt in the door and to my horror my keys were still on the consul.

What a perfect moment for the car alarm to go off!

If you go out for a drive and don't want to be clocked, leave the convertible at home and avoid this type of outfit. (http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=carmen+miranda+fruit+hat&FORM=HDRSC2#a) But really, you almost have to grab people by the hair to get them to notice how you're dressed out in public. In forty years of gender blending I've had few unsavory incidents.

kimdl93
12-17-2013, 07:24 AM
Sure, why not.

Beverley Sims
12-17-2013, 07:36 AM
Probably the lowest of risks, all people are watching are the road and other cars.
Me, I'm looking at the girls on the sidewalk as well.
That is a little riskier. :)
Keep your eyes on your driving, keep your hands on the wheel, keep your filthy eyes on the road ahead.....

No I haven't got "Seven pretty girls sitting in the back seat".

Anita Lynn
12-17-2013, 08:21 AM
I... um, Anita drives quite often. If I'm on the road making a trip by myself she usually does most of the driving. I try to do the traveling at night because she is extremely shy but she does have a ball doing it. She will even stop and get out of the car from time to time but not for long, she feels self conscious about her short male styled haircut!
In fact, she drove home from work yesterday crossdressed as a male:eek:! (i was under dressed).

JamieQ
12-17-2013, 08:24 AM
Probably one of the lowest risks for getting out...pull into a gas station and fill up while you are at it.

Rhonda Darling
12-17-2013, 08:28 AM
I did that a LOT when I was younger. The hardest thing for me was to stifle my paranoia and not keep looking around when stopped in traffic or at a light. Pay attention when en drab to how much you actually look around while driving, the try to do the same while out and about in your Carmen Miranda (hat tip to Carla) outfit.

Best,
Rhonda

linda allen
12-17-2013, 08:28 AM
For me, the hardest part of going out dressed is getting from the house to the car and then out of the neighborhood. Once clear of the house and neighborhood, driving has a pretty low risk of being recognized unless you have a pretty unique car or personalized license plate.

Remember, you have to get back into the house as well and you don't know who might be parked out front waiting for you so you might want to change back to male mode before you head home.

Anita Lynn
12-17-2013, 08:34 AM
leave the convertible at home and avoid this type of outfit. (http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=carmen+miranda+fruit+hat&FORM=HDRSC2#a)
Carla you are a roit:lol:

NicoleScott
12-17-2013, 08:55 AM
Yes, that's how many of us first ventured out of the house. And take that emergency boy-clothes pack, with some makeup remover.

sometimes_miss
12-17-2013, 09:29 AM
I did the dress up and driving thing a long time ago, and it didn't work out quite the way I wanted. I took my sports car instead of the truck, late at night figuring less traffic. And....wound up with some guys following me around in a pony car that kept trying to goad 'the blond in the hot sports car' into racing them. I did manage to eventually ditch them, but you never know what you're going to have to deal with. Yeah, they probably would have wanted to race no matter what I looked like, boy or girl, but who knows what else they might have on their mind.

Danielle_cder
12-17-2013, 10:11 AM
Yep driving is a great way to get out!

Helen_Highwater
12-17-2013, 12:45 PM
I'm not ready to go take a walk anywhere, however I think I'd be brave enough to try a little drive.

Along with all the others it gets my vote along with the very sound advice about taking a boy bailout kit. Regarding the "not ready to go take a walk anywhere" can I suggest that your first tentative steps could be from your drivers door to the boot (trunk), either take something out or put something in and then back again? Done in a shoppers car park or a quiet lay-by it'll be short and sweet but boy will you get a rush. Get yourself together before you drive off! Tiny steps like this are how so many of us began but be warned, it can be addictive.

Tracii G
12-17-2013, 01:01 PM
Its a great way to get for your first time.

Jessica S
12-17-2013, 01:03 PM
This is the only way I go out. I underdress then put the rest on when I in the car away from home. I don't do the whole nine yards only putting on the women's clothes and shoes. It's pretty safe to do never had a problem. I did get a strange look and then a smile for the women at the toll both.

Karren H
12-17-2013, 01:07 PM
Its totally safe.... as long as you don't get in an accident.... or run out of fuel on some abandoned highway.... near a mental hospital... in a storm... or get pulled over by the police... or get abducted by a UFO.... totally safe...

tylia
12-17-2013, 01:11 PM
I still love to get out and drive around ,but like Linda Allen said, the hardest part is getting out of the driveway and you never know who might be coming to visit you just as you come back.

Tracii G
12-17-2013, 01:15 PM
Karren you are a beacon of sunshine!!! LOLOLOLOL

Janet Bern
12-17-2013, 01:16 PM
This may help with your self conciousness..
When was the last time you look a someone driving a car and see if they may be a CD?
Forget about it.

Drusilla
12-17-2013, 01:22 PM
My only word of caution is that at this time of year you might find there are more police out looking for people coming home from Christmas parties who might have had just that one drink too many and doing random checks.

LeannL
12-17-2013, 08:41 PM
Unless you live next to the mall, it is the only way to get to it while dressed :)

Leann

mikiSJ
12-17-2013, 08:49 PM
It was a bit scary the first time I drove while as Miki, but I got over it quickly.

I drove dressed from San Jose to Sacramento a couple of months ago and had to stop for gas. I drive a Porsche Cayenne and had a hard time getting away from the questions about the car. Other than that, OBEY THE RULES.

Leslie Langford
12-17-2013, 09:06 PM
Unlike being caught DUI, there is no DWC ("Driving While Crossdressed") infraction equivalent in effect anywhere that I am aware of ;) . I was even stopped once at a random DUI-style spot check while en femme, and it ended up being a total non-event.

Still, there's always the outside risk of encountering a Dukes of Hazzard/Smokey and the Bear style member of the constabulary while out driving even in these more enlightened times, so why take any unnecessary risks?

Consequently, while I tend to be a rather ummm..."spirited" driver when in "guy" mode, "Leslie" is always on her best behavior and follows all of the traffic rules to the letter to ensure that she continues to fly under the radar - literally! :eek: :heehee: :doh:

Miriam-J
12-17-2013, 09:25 PM
This was one of my greatest fears before I joined this forum nearly two years ago - especially of having to deal with police officers. Every once in a while someone will share another story of a non-event encounter with a police officer, or with other members of the public. Just remember to stay calm and honest no matter what happens, and it should be just as safe as driving in guy mode.

Miriam

RenneB
12-17-2013, 09:33 PM
You'd be surprised how easy it is to be anonymous in a car. My first drives started at night. Darkness rules. Later...many baby steps later, I 'graduated' to being a day driver. Like someone else said, if you are in a GM town and drive a non-GM car, people know. If you're in a foreign car town (outside of the rust belt) and drive an American car you might stand out. I say, when in Rome.....

In some states, the plate rules. The smaller the town, the more people 'round these parts know who drives what. It wasn't until I met a friend in the supermarket (in drab I was) and he said hey I thought I saw your car over.... people know. I now engage in stealth driving. During the day, sunvisors are down and cover the side windows. Sunroof is closed and I wear dark sunglasses. Then get out of small town as fast as I can. ah hem... within the speed limit though.

Once I'm out of town, I feel free and travel where I please. I still take care not to line up at a traffic light with other cars.... no need to encourage the one in a thousand that are out to out us....

With everything, just be careful or develop a great case of the IDC 'tude. (i.e. I Don't Care).

Renne.....

Desirae
12-17-2013, 10:19 PM
I've done this quite a few times, too. Since I have close by neighbors, I usually just dress partially in order to get to the car and then put the rest of my clothing on in the car. And my wig. I've ventured to the Post Office, actually parking and getting out of the car and walking to the mailbox and mailing some letters. And that was in 5 inch heels! The next time I do it, I'm going to definitely be toning it down. That's a good idea about keeping some drab clothes in the car. I haven't done that, but I will be from now on. I haven't had any problems as of yet. It's just baby steps but, eventually, I aim to get out fully and actually have a destination to go to for an evening of fun somewhere.

JenniferR771
12-17-2013, 10:52 PM
And...watch out for those red light cameras.
You have to sneak away from your house as the neighbors might see you, likewise on your return.
Short trips are better; I for one am not comfortable at highway rest stops.

Adriana Moretti
12-17-2013, 11:24 PM
yeah looks like everyones got this covered already....just dont go too late at night either, and obey all traffic laws..

Vickie_CDTV
12-18-2013, 01:41 AM
If you are comfortable with the risk of being pulled over and possibly questioned about being dressed, yes.

One thing to remember is to lock your doors, when you are inside and outside your car (especially at night); remember, women who are driving around alone are more at risk then a cis male driving around alone, plus you have the risk of a hate crime if a bad guy reads you. Unlikely to happen of course, but it is something women in my life have reminded me about.

Amanda_P
12-18-2013, 01:46 AM
I have dressed many times and went for a drive around town. Once I got brave enough to drive the 20 miles to Wal-Mart. Sat there for about 15 minutes then realized why I got a parking spot up front at 3 AM. They was closed so came back home. But it was still a great outing

CDmarci
12-18-2013, 01:58 AM
Well I started dressing when I was 9 so by the time I got my license I used my car as my chance to get out of the neighborhood and dress fully and figured I wouldn't be noticed by anyone I knew I was about 20 miles from home and was enjoying every minute. People saw me and I saw them but I don't think they knew I was a guy wearing a mini skirt and halter top. Oh to be young again.

Helen_Highwater
12-18-2013, 07:45 AM
I was reading Renne's post about driving in day light (most start at night me inc.) and it wasn't until late last year I drove in day light; and you know what, it wasn't a big deal. Like the others have said, obey the rules, be a polite driver and in free flowing traffic then you're all but anonymous. You soon learn how to position yourself if queuing for lights if it's more than one lane so as to avoid the sideways glances but even if you can't, just look like you belong and move off carefully when the lights change.

Plan ahead; don't do as I did once and go out one night without enough fuel. As that turned out it was a good thing because it forced me to do what I'd been trying to build courage to do and that was buy fuel enfem at a self serve pump. Since then I've done it in day light, at a busy petrol station and do you know what? No-one said or did anything and I'm not the best at passing.

Launa
12-18-2013, 08:20 AM
Once you do it then you'll realize that its easy peazy.

You will soon look for the next step in being out there!

CarlaWestin
12-18-2013, 08:23 AM
Its totally safe.... as long as you don't get abducted by a UFO.... totally safe...

Just keep the moon roof closed.

Hey, that's not funny! It really happens out here! And once they have you in the spacecraft they...............

Karren H
12-18-2013, 09:07 AM
Karren you are a beacon of sunshine!!! LOLOLOLOL

beacon on cancer causing UV radiation?

Just keep the moon roof closed.

Hey, that's not funny! It really happens out here! And once they have you in the spacecraft they...............

Realign your gender? Be funny watching them try to turn you into a male..... lol

Jackie7
12-18-2013, 09:19 AM
I broke the ice this same way, driving around at night, then in the day, then venturing from the safety of the car to the unknown world of gas stations, malls, movies, restaurants, and art museums.

A pitfall you might want to avoid: too much coffee. Lest you find yourself like I did, far between public restrooms in rural Upstate New York, standing in the shelter of the car door, dress rucked up and complex female underwear all disarrayed, taking an emergency whiz on the roadside. Whereupon a pack of bikers blazed on by. I was momentarily panicked, until one shaggy dude flashed me the Victory salute with a huge grin. Then he gunned it and sped onward. And so did I.

Stephanie Julianna
12-18-2013, 09:35 AM
Jackie 7's story is very funny. That can be a big issue, the bathroom one, not the bikers. Well, maybe the bikers too. Simply, wherever you decide to tinkle that you remember which room to use. Once, in a restaurant years ago, I walked all the way into the men's room before I realized that I was not dressed for the ocassion there. Luckily that was the first and last time I made that mistake. I may be Polish but I'm no dumb blond. About the driving thing. Don't speed and avoid and accident. AND make sure your good at driving in heels or bring flats for the drive and chnage your shoes when you get wherever you're going.

autogirl
12-18-2013, 06:48 PM
this is something i tought of too haha but my tought has tinted windows in it or driving at night

irishsissy
12-18-2013, 10:44 PM
Yes, it's low risk. But be careful driving a stickshift in high heels... the clutch is murder. :)

I have mastered driving my stickshift just as good with my heels as with flats. I learned quickly as, I don,t like being dressed without my heels.

irishsissy
12-18-2013, 11:01 PM
It's a good way to start, if you drive a car, you will be seen by people in SUVs or trucks, but I like to show a lot of leg when I drive. Good luck, be confident and act normal.
Just as I have to have my heels, all my skirts and dresses have to be short. And I love to be at a stop light with a truck next to me. ( as long as it,s a big truck that I know can,t chase me down).

Drusilla
12-18-2013, 11:42 PM
As others have said be prepared and drive save. As keep a pair of flats in the center console/glove box cause driving in heels is dangerous.

This is good advise, it seems here in the UK unsuitable footwear is becoming more of an issue, road safety organisations have been campaigning for people to take more care with footwear choices. At least one European country wants a ban on heels when driving and god forbid the worst happens it seems that insurance companies can use this as a reason to not payout. Most recently in my area a member of the farming community was sent on a driving safety course after the police caught him wearing wellies on a routine stop. So please take care when you are out there.

heatherdress
12-19-2013, 12:20 AM
I got a flat tire which I had to change in a mini, 5 inch heels, with an audience of viewers.

Launa
12-19-2013, 12:24 AM
You had an audience because you looked so damned hot!

FemmeElastique
12-19-2013, 11:48 AM
Oh yeah! Driving is how I first went out in public dressed as a woman. Driving is actually a really safe and fun way to get your feet wet with going out in public. Even if you were stopped by the police for a traffic violation, they are always courteous and treat you with respect and generally don't care.

Lexi_83
12-19-2013, 11:59 AM
Is driving while dressed a fairly safe way to get out, at least a bit? /I've found it to be, granted I have a Subaru. I was followed once by some teens briefly but nothing occurred, just nosy. I was also stopped at a drunk driving checkpoint on the weekend prior to Halloween and the state trooper could not have cared less, although I was freaked out at the time.

The seatbelt crossing between your breasts highlights their shape and may attract attention unless you cover up. Blonde hair often gets a glance, but big boobs always do.

If it's daytime, wear big sunglasses, like every other woman.

LauraOTN
12-19-2013, 12:03 PM
I was stopped once for a headlight out while in a dress. If the officer noticed, he sure didn't react... and it's their jobs to notice anything...

linda allen
12-20-2013, 07:38 AM
If you're driving dressed and teenagers or other people start following you around, it's either because you look so bad that it's obvious that you're a crossdresser or it's that you are wearing inappropriate clothing or makeup. In either case, there's a fix. Work on it.

FemmeElastique
12-20-2013, 12:01 PM
Another thing that might relax you a bit is that you'll just look like a woman driving her car. I mean, that's all! LOL.

Ressie
12-20-2013, 12:38 PM
The only time I drove en femme I did a lot of changing while driving because I didn't want the neighbors to see me get into the car en femme. I brought two paper bags, one with girl stuff, the other with guy stuff. I applied makeup in a parking lot with the rearview mirror.

Next time I plan to wear big jogging pants over my skirt when leaving the house. Then, find a more secluded road to change into the rest. Makes me nervous when a pickup truck is following, but that's just me I guess.

Gail Marie
12-23-2013, 07:54 AM
Thank you all so very much for your thoughts and suggestions!

I'll let you know how it works out. Do wish I still had my sporty little Mustang. That would be fun!

nhlighthouse
12-23-2013, 08:05 AM
If you don't want to be detected as a cders, lose the mustang. A sports car draws attention first of all and why, unless you are looking for the attention, would you want to be outed and noticed? Think about it and have fun....it is a great feeling driving dressed!
Mykchelle

Gail Marie
12-23-2013, 08:28 AM
You're quite right, and the Mustang is long gone, but there is something delicious about the idea of driving the sporty car down PCH while dressed.... Ummmmm!

Wendy me
12-23-2013, 08:48 AM
lol everything has a risk ....http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?13054-out-last-night-and-the-tail-light&highlight=

Teresa
12-23-2013, 08:56 AM
I have to agree with comments made you are anonymous at night, if you try to make out passing drivers you can hardly tell their gender, ( I bet we leave them guessing!) At first I would slip into my car just dressed no makeup or wig and drive a few miles, so you have the feeling of being dressed without giving the game away. The last time at night I had full makeup on and popped the wig on in a layby. I drove to the next town determined to take a walk, I drove right round the center and even had to stop at a pedestrian crossing but I chickened out of the walk.By the time I got back it felt so comfortable I just got out of the car wearing 4" knee high boots and wig and wriggled cheekily to door.

josrphine
12-23-2013, 08:59 AM
HI Vickie, Yes there are monuments, I was stopped in Prospect Conn. for a light out. The officer asked me to step out of the car after he got back up. I my low beam was out , I had 3 inch heels an my long dark wig, a nice dress. They put me in front of the second cruisers lights so there i was in all my glory. I was going to a meeting in Hartfort an had made some venison chili which slid on the seat as I stopped . The officer said that was why he had to search the car, YEA. The other officer was a little bit jumpy, so I ask if any of his friends were C D's . He said no , I then ask if he would like some chili as it was still hot. The look on his face was great. JO

5150 Girl
12-23-2013, 11:01 AM
What's wrong with Mustangs? I drive one every day dressed or not! ;) Back window has a big running pony decal, and says Indian Outlaw. No question it's my car! Fire truck red with a rumbly 5.0L
Seriously though, There is a good point to be made here. You ask if driving around is "safe" and the state you wish you had your 'stang back? If you want to motor about in relative anonymity, go with a Taurus, or a Fusion, or something. Avoid the Mustangs, GT500, or Saleen S7! Those things cry out "LOOK AT ME!!!!!!" Yes it may be fun to be pretty in a pretty car, but you'll out yourself fast (no pun intended) on Main St....

Gail Marie
12-23-2013, 11:15 AM
So I'm a little conflicted...

What can I say?

Might go for a little drive later. Sounds fun!

Taliya
12-23-2013, 09:50 PM
As other have said, I too started getting out that way. I found it to be very safe (though nerve-wracking at first). Driving led to ATM use, then the gas station, then parking and walking a bit... it went on from there.