PDA

View Full Version : Therapist Visit and Gender Identity Letter and Dr Visit

Susanna66
12-18-2013, 12:58 PM
Hello All,

I Really started out in the crossdressing forum and recently figured out who I really was. So I see that it was time to post here.

My first therapy session went so well, the therapist immediately wrote me a letter with the Diagnosis of Gender Identity Disorder. I was excited. But I am going to see him again to update him on my progress of things for the next fews months.

I see my family doctor in 5 days. I am hoping to start HRT then. She may refer me to an endocrinologist, but that is of course ok. I want to do this right.

My journey is underway :)

barbaraclothes
12-18-2013, 02:41 PM
Congratulations and I hope you enjoy the journey.

mary something
12-18-2013, 02:44 PM
good for you for taking concrete steps to feel better. Who will be transitioning with you?

I Am Paula
12-18-2013, 02:51 PM
First off, congratulations! This is such a big step. IMHO, a referral to an Endo is a good idea. My GP admits to knowing nothing about trans matters, and little about hormones. That's the Endo's job. However, any port in a storm, and even if you have to educate your GP, that's good too.
It's a weird journey, but a good one.

Leah Lynn
12-18-2013, 07:40 PM
Congratulations! Just remember that it's not a race to the finish line, but a series of events, with lots of good and sometimes not so good stops along the way.

To quote Bette Davis, "Buckle your seatbelt you're in for a bumpy ride!"

Leah

Rianna Humble
12-19-2013, 01:50 AM
Hi Susanna, :welcom: to the TS forums.

I'm glad that things are going well for you, but a little surprised that a therapist is coming up with a diagnosis after a single visit. Still, you know your circumstances better than anyone else.

The 5 days will probably seem at first like 5 years, but luckily that means you will see your doctor before Xmas so will have taken another vital step forward.

I look forward to reading more from you in the coming days and weeks :hugs:

Angela Campbell
12-19-2013, 05:20 AM
My therapist came to the conclusion I was a transsexual, was experiencing severe GD, and should be on HRT on the first visit as well, although he didn't tell me that until a couple of months later when he wrote the letter for me. He made the diagnosis quickly but I guess there were things he wanted to cover and work with me on to make sure I was ready. There is really no set procedures it seems regardless what the SOC says, many therapists consider it a loose guideline and make their decisions based on their own experiences and the specific case.

Either way, welcome Susanna, I hope things go well for you.

I Am Paula
12-19-2013, 08:02 AM
I too was diagnosed, and OK'ed for HRT on my first visit. I think older patients are treated and diagnosed differently, as we have years of GD behind us, and know and understand what we want. Whether your DR. believes in informed consent or not, a lot of it comes into play when we are older.

Jennifer Marie P.
12-19-2013, 08:39 AM
Congrats and enjoy your journey.

Marleena
12-19-2013, 09:42 AM
Who will be transitioning with you?

Is this the split personality thing again? lol.

robindee36
12-19-2013, 09:46 AM
Best wishes Susanna as you take this big step on your journey. May it be smooth and fulfilling.

Hugs, Robin

mary something
12-19-2013, 09:47 AM
Is this the split personality thing again? lol.

no ;). I meant is there a SO, kids, parents, or family that will be going through the process with her. It's important how you handle stuff with loved ones, how you communicate things to them.

Marleena
12-19-2013, 09:53 AM
Oh..congrats Susanna! I got my answers and letter pretty quickly too. In my case I had many therapist visits for depression over the years but was too embarrassed to talk about gender issues. Once I came clean the failed medications made sense to the therapist and it became clear what was going on with me. So I suggest to anybody come clean about your gender issues to your therapist and don't be embarrassed, let it all hang out.:)

Okay Mary, gotcha.:)

Susanna66
12-19-2013, 01:04 PM
Thank you everyone for your wonderful words of support.

And Yes, I am married and she is supportive, Not fully understanding, but wants me to be happy. Some family members already know, some do not. The journey will be bumpy, I know, but it is the right thing for me.

I will keep everyone updated as my journey continues :)

Hugs Susanna

mikiSJ
12-19-2013, 01:43 PM
Susanna - Good for you! I just started the journey with my first injection last Friday - let's see who gets there first. :daydreaming:

I'm glad that things are going well for you, but a little surprised that a therapist is coming up with a diagnosis after a single visit. Still, you know your circumstances better than anyone else.

Rianna - that was my first thought also. But then I just saw an internist who prescribed estrogen on my first visit - without the 'Letter'. The doctor does know both of my therapists and asked that I get the Letter to complete his file (not n issue).

So, I am willing to accept that some therapist have enough experience to recognize the issue at hand.

Barbara Ella
12-19-2013, 02:01 PM
Congratulations Susanna. Such a great step on your journey. DOn't let the little bumps get you, and the girls will be here to help with any bigger ones.

Barbara